2105 Swim Goals

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    85/900. Working up to doing a 10KM (in the pool. Not open water) is helping rack them up.
    Sending my passport in for renewal. That should block any China trips for a few months. Then its visa renewal time.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    21.5 / 200 km
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I managed 118 km last year - 9 Months of Swimming.
    At my local Pool the High Km swimmer had about 460 km ( = 286 Miles )
    So this year my Goal will be 200 km = 125 Miles.
    Goals:
    [*] Get really good at flip turns! I do open turns mostly. Lately I've been adding a 50x10 set on the short course where I do a flip turn but then have to rest a few seconds after each 50 - and some of my turns are just ridiculously bad :)
    [/list]
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Today I lost track of a lane swimmer, did an UGLY off center flip turn and just about caused an underwater collision - me bad.

Did another ugly turn where I did not have enough speed to complete the rotation and STALLED out in a head down position - back to the wall. Came up laughing because it's all you can really do. At least I no longer go into a corkscrew rotation as I am flipping.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just looking to consistently swim 4 or more days a week and get my mile time under 40 minutes (I'm a very slow swimmer)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hey, @wtskinner, I totally feel for you. I'm trying to do the same thing and it's been something of a process...
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Juliet - I've been doing flip turns for 40+ years & I still have the occasional oddball turn, I agree - laughing is the only thing you can do (besides hoping that nobody else was paying any attention).....
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Wts - being able to set yourself a 40 mins for a mile target shows you are most definitely not a 'very slow' swimmer!

Sure plenty of people go faster - and good on you for trying to be one of them - but you are easily above average in the pools I have swum. Be proud of what you can do already too.

(There again I guess all those people trailing Ussain Bolt by 1/10 th of a second or so beat themselves up for being slow runners!)
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    eek... I only have 7 weeks to swim 12 lengths non-stop. the most I've done so far is only 4 lengths.. got lots of training ahead of me
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Add a length a week and you'll be good!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    newoutlook - push yourself a little further each time you swim & you'll be amazed at how fast the endurance builds.....
  • fannydazzle
    fannydazzle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd like to build up to swim a 5K sometime this year. The furthest I've swum to date is 2.5K so I've got a bit of work to do!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    I just got back into swimming in November and have worked my way up to doing 1.5 miles (7 x 350 yards plus some cool down laps). My goal for the year is to work up to doing 3 miles once a week on weekends and do 1.5-2.0 miles twice during the week. I've also started doing strength training one or twice a week so as not to lose muscle on account of a very strict diet.

Some of you guys (fishgutzy, AquaticsQuests) have got me thinking about a 10k as a more long-term goal, maybe in 2016, with a continuous 10k maybe in 2106.
    Well, I've achieved part of my goal yesterday. Swam 3 miles (10 x 500 yards plus cool down laps). It took a lot out of me though, so I'm not yet ready to do this once a week.

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I just got back into swimming in November and have worked my way up to doing 1.5 miles (7 x 350 yards plus some cool down laps). My goal for the year is to work up to doing 3 miles once a week on weekends and do 1.5-2.0 miles twice during the week. I've also started doing strength training one or twice a week so as not to lose muscle on account of a very strict diet.

Some of you guys (fishgutzy, AquaticsQuests) have got me thinking about a 10k as a more long-term goal, maybe in 2016, with a continuous 10k maybe in 2106.
    Well, I've achieved part of my goal yesterday. Swam 3 miles (10 x 500 yards plus cool down laps). It took a lot out of me though, so I'm not yet ready to do this once a week.

Fantastic job Robertus!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options

Fantastic job Robertus!

Holy smokes!! That's awesome! Maybe not ready for once a week, but you did it. I'm duly impressed ;)
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well done Robertus - now you know you can do it it will be easier next time!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Fantastic, Robertus!!!! You'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you'll be able to do it more often......
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what my goals should be. I've nearly gotten back up to doing 2km in a workout, but after I reach that I haven't much idea. Maybe 2km free without stopping? Not sure I could keep track of that in a pool.
    I do know I want to learn fly, and be able to do a 100m continuous. Been working on my kick the last two sessions. Every time I try arms I get maybe three strokes in before I'm kaput. :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    So, my winter fitness challenge is to do a 10km swim before March 21. That leaves March 15th as the last Sunday I can do it. So that is the plan.
    Sunday the Y open at 1PM. Better to let me properly fuel up for the 3+ hour swim in the pool.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hey Swimmers! I'm brand new to the group and super excited to have found ya'll.

I really only have one main goal this year.... I'm swimming an open water 5k in September. I was a swimmer in high school and have told so many people about my goal, now I'll feel like a jerk if I don't follow through :)

I've been training in an indoor pool during the winter and am SO tired of flip turns. Now I'm just itching to get outside when the weather (and water) warms up and I'm weighing my options on to-wetsuit or not-to-wetsuit.

Have a great day!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Sconnie - lotta great people here & I think you're really going to like it here.....