2105 Swim Goals

Options

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I hear ya - that's why I just started asking how they counted & answered accordingly. Since it's not something I really care about it's just easier than having a misunderstanding....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be asked... :blush:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    So far, 138 miles toward my 900 mile goal. Not bad considering I had a bad chest cold that kept me out of the pool for almost 10 days.
    Gotta make up some of that before a possible China trip in April. Don't know which city I'll be in yet. For me it is "the one with a pool near the office" or "No effing pool but 20 floors up to walk a few times a day."
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Girlwithcurls, your time will come. Just keep swimming away. I remember making the remark when my form fell apart: my swimming gave new meaning to the word flounder :o
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Well done Robertus - now you know you can do it it will be easier next time!
    Thanks, 60aPanda. I've now swum 3 miles two additional times and it was easier each time but it still takes a lot out of me. 2nd time, it gave me a really bad head cold, which kept me out of the pool for a week and a half. 3rd time, the head cold returned but not as bad. I think I was not eating enough/right to fuel my immune system and swimming at the limit of my strength/endurance. I am trying to eat smarter/more, lower my weekly weight loss goal, do some shorter distances in between, some cross-training, and getting back to strength training today. Funny how your body has to teach your brain to be smarter!

• Robertus
    Options
    Swam 3 miles continuous today (first time without stopping), 2nd time in 4 days doing this distance. Wow, it's great to be in shape again!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Robertus!! You must feel fantastic! I cannot imagine 3 continuous miles. Well done, sir!
  • Robertus
    Options
    Thanks, girl with curls. When I started in late November, I could barely do three laps. Maybe I should patent my endurance building strategy?
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to swim an open water 2k in under 40 minutes by May. My second goal is to swim a 12 mile race in October (and finish!). My third goal is to swim 300 miles by midnight, December 31 (so far, I'm up to 63 miles but it's the slow season for me until... Thursday).
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Swam 3 miles continuous today (first time without stopping), 2nd time in 4 days doing this distance. Wow, it's great to be in shape again!
    That is awesome.
    I found that once I got past 1.5 miles, adding more distance was a lot easier. Just kept thinking "one more lap." :)
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Ms_J1 wrote: »
    My first goal is to swim an open water 2k in under 40 minutes by May. My second goal is to swim a 12 mile race in October (and finish!). My third goal is to swim 300 miles by midnight, December 31 (so far, I'm up to 63 miles but it's the slow season for me until... Thursday).
    Wow. This makes my spring/summer personal swim challenge of a 10 mile swim in the pool seem a lot more reasonable :)
    My total for the year so far is 170 miles on a goal of 900. As long as I don't have too many Trips to Hangzhou I should make it.
    I have never done any open water competition, nor any other type of competition in swimming. Still not on my bucket list. :D
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ms_J1 wrote: »
    Yep MS_J1 is crazy like that - 12 miles - whew. You'll want to check out NoelFigart's blog for some links to some interesting marathon swim blogs: http://swimasslowaschristmas.blogspot.com/
  • Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just got back into swimming in November and have worked my way up to doing 1.5 miles (7 x 350 yards plus some cool down laps). My goal for the year is to work up to doing 3 miles once a week on weekends and do 1.5-2.0 miles twice during the week. I've also started doing strength training one or twice a week so as not to lose muscle on account of a very strict diet.

Some of you guys (fishgutzy, AquaticsQuests) have got me thinking about a 10k as a more long-term goal, maybe in 2016, with a continuous 10k maybe in 2106.
    Well, I've achieved part of my goal yesterday. Swam 3 miles (10 x 500 yards plus cool down laps). It took a lot out of me though, so I'm not yet ready to do this once a week.
    I guess I reached and surpassed my goal yesterday. Swam 3 miles continuous on Sunday and Tuesday and yesterday swam 2 miles. Looks like I set my goals too low, but I must admit I am very tired after this week and took this morning off. My next goal is to 10k in one day, very noncontinuously. Some day, probably when I get back from Rome, I'm gonna do 2 or 3 miles in the morning, 1 or 2 miles at lunch, and 1 or 2 miles after work. Will need to eat a lot before and after and rest for a week afterward. After that, I really have no idea how long it will take before I try a 10k continuous, probably sometime in 2105.

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YTD SWIM GOAL = 139 / 365 MILES
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just got back into swimming in November and have worked my way up to doing 1.5 miles (7 x 350 yards plus some cool down laps). My goal for the year is to work up to doing 3 miles once a week on weekends and do 1.5-2.0 miles twice during the week. I've also started doing strength training one or twice a week so as not to lose muscle on account of a very strict diet.

Some of you guys (fishgutzy, AquaticsQuests) have got me thinking about a 10k as a more long-term goal, maybe in 2016, with a continuous 10k maybe in 2106.
    Well, I've achieved part of my goal yesterday. Swam 3 miles (10 x 500 yards plus cool down laps). It took a lot out of me though, so I'm not yet ready to do this once a week.
    I guess I reached and surpassed my goal yesterday. Swam 3 miles continuous on Sunday and Tuesday and yesterday swam 2 miles. Looks like I set my goals too low, but I must admit I am very tired after this week and took this morning off. My next goal is to 10k in one day, very noncontinuously. Some day, probably when I get back from Rome, I'm gonna do 2 or 3 miles in the morning, 1 or 2 miles at lunch, and 1 or 2 miles after work. Will need to eat a lot before and after and rest for a week afterward. After that, I really have no idea how long it will take before I try a 10k continuous, probably sometime in 2105.

Robertus, I bet you could totally manage a 10k sooner than that!
    Meanwhile, I will continue to work towards a 10k week :wink:
  • Robertus
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    YTD SWIM GOAL = 139 / 365 MILES
    You're 38% of the way there and the year is only 30% of the way over. Woohoo!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    1600m in 30 min or less ...then I can start looking at and thinking about triathelons
  • Robertus
    Options

Robertus, I bet you could totally manage a 10k sooner than that!
    Meanwhile, I will continue to work towards a 10k week :wink:
    Maybe. But, remember, this thread is about our goals for 2105. If I succeed in doing a 10k continuous in 2105, I think that will be pretty good.

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments Robertus. I have to push ahead as there will be some slack weeks ahead vacations and conferences, etc.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Robertus - we have to remember to take into account the aging factor, I'm not sure what distances I'll be able to do by then.....