Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• tanengre
    tanengre Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been of MFP for several years, but actually started trying to loose weight in August after a good tongue lashing from the Doctor about the 15 lb weight gain last year. In January I tried to get on board with LCHF, but am not getting the hang of it yet. Since August I have lost 12 lbs and I swear all of it is in my breasts. I am 5 ft 8 in and 248 lbs. I would like to get down to 150 but I would be elated at anything under 200.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi @tanengre, this is a good place to find information and support. I started eating LCHF on March 1 and am learning the ropes, too. The ladies here are very helpful and willing to answer questions. You have a great start with a 12 lb. loss---congrats! Keep it going!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Welcome tanengre! As wheatlessgirl said, please ask if you have any questions, we're all more than happy to help. Everyone in the whole LCD Group knows that what works for one will be different than what works for another, but us post-menopausal women do seem to need to limit calories and track more closely than the men and younger women.

LOL I've lost fat from my face, neck, breasts and back so far. Top down, as usual ;) It is good not to bulge out of my bra cups any more, it was such a lumpy and weird look through a t.shirt before.

Congrats on that 12 lbs, that's awesome work!
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!! Welcome aboard. There are quite a few newbies around here but these ladies are the greatest so you've found the right place to be.

@KnitOrMiss‌ thank you for explaining all of that. Will have to remember in the future that some of our buddies are from across the pond!

@GrannymayOz yes, I married at 15 and pulled my 14 years :\ . I'm glad yours has turned out better than mine!

LOL at the way/areas people loose weight. I sometimes wish I could loose my breasts but they just don't budge. Mine is all in my face right now. Gotta get on taking those pics for before so I can show off my afters! :p

Headed into the weekend with my GrandFlowers and tomorrow is my youngest son's 27th bday so there will be eating out challenges for me.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    How's everyone doing? I feel stalled again, but when I look at my spreadsheet it's truly only been about a week, and my macros yesterday were way out of whack. Brunch threw me off plan and there was nothing I could do with dinner to bring me back to goals. Oh well, this is a long journey, not daily perfection exams *shrug* o:)
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All is well here. I been working hard in the yard all day yesterday. Ha I walked 2 miles and never left the yard. Today was eye doctor day and I am scheduled for cataract surgery in April. One eye at a time. Can not say I have been l@@king forward to this but the struggle to see is wearing me out. Doc totally agrees. Not sure if being able to see will help my spelling any. Lets hope so. LOL So today I have been pretty laid up as my eyes still have not cleared from being dilated this morning. Still a little bit dilated 12 hours later. The up side is I can kiss coke bottle lenses good by. They are so heavy even in plastic. I was a bit confused. He said I will be able to see to get around with out my glasses, which I can not do now, but I might need them to read??? I think this is what he was saying. I was a bit in shock at the time.

I have been checking my macros against the Flexible but not always trying to hit the magic 2. I am trying to stay real low carb for 2 meals and allowing my main meal for veggies. Keeping track of everything in Excel helps me to see everything in one spot no more clicking around. I think I will be able to pin point what is working or not easier. Time will tell.

Have a good one I am off to bed. I have a lot to get done around here before April. so excited about the new yard look.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    That's fantastic about the outcome after the cataract op Shades! You certainly do work hard and I know you'll enjoy it more when you can see more clearly, and stop having to bother with glasses. Wow, you won't know yourself! I wear mine every waking hour, but they are light thankfully.

I'm glad that you're enjoying logging in Excel now. It has to work for you doesn't it? I've just now found out how to copy something I had for lunch yesterday into dinner today. That was annoying me no end, but I finally had time to investigate that little down arrow that has been hiding the secret ha ha!

I've blown out my carbs today. 30 grams! I aim for under 15 if possible and 20 at an absolute max. Only had 41 grams of protein instead of 70. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    @GrannyMayOZ Yes I will be happy to have the surgeries over. For now I will continue to work in the yard. I have worn my glasses round the clock for over 40 years.Bi-focals for 30 years and trifocals for the last 10 years or so.

You will be back on track tomorrow GrannyMay. Try not to beat yourself up for goofing up the carbs It happens once in awhile even when you are trying to be good. The 4 carb fiber powder is a pretty hard hit to my day right off but needed so I make room for it.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend thus far. I've made a decision about my WOE; as much as I love LCHF, it isn't working any more for me as a weigh loss regime. So, I'm going to go back to what did work for me, intermittent fasting. I will continue to eat lower carb, higher fat but will probably allow up to 50 g carbs instead of my under 30 net (which I was generally staying around 20 net anyway) as I miss my fruits and veggies. Hope I can still be a part of the "gang" here! FYI, there is a good LOACA (ladies of a certain age) thread on the IF site here if you are interested: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/help-all-ladies-of-a-certain-age-please-respond/
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    @sbom1 (*) I certainly vote yes. Your changes might help some one else.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @sbom Yes of course you can stay!!! Please do report on what you do and what it achieves. We're all here for health, weight loss and support of one another. Everyone that is accepting of all the ways to achieve that is welcome here! <3
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the group (48.5) but have done LC off and on for years.

Right now I'm struggling a bit to get into ketosis.
    I'm using Trendweight and everything is trending downwards, but it would be nice to actually "see it"
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Hi Kuranda and welcome. You mean it would be nice to 'see it' on the scales, or the tape measure? I don't know what Trendweight is - guessing it's to graph your scale weight.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    It would be nice to see it in the tape measure and the way clothes fit.

www.trendweight.com

you weigh everyday and it removes the "noise" and calculates the trend you are on.

Mathmatically I am rocking this!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I certainly hear you on this Kuranda.

Oh wow, WiFi? How awesome is that? I was tempted to ask for a body analysis scale for Mothers Day, this has given me another idea. Though I don't think I've ever *asked* for anything and I don't know what they cost (to split between 2 children).
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've seen the Aria sell between $120 -$169
    8 people can use it.
    We got it because actually writing down his weight was too much work for my husband
    I would check eBay and Gumtree
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    LOL Husbands are amusing. Hopefully I can say that in this thread ;) Thank you for the pricing and locations to look <3
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've had a tough 2 weeks - not eating well at all. I went through a counseling session and it sent me spiraling into emotional eating (my worst habit). Now trying to climb out of the whole and back to my WOEing.

I learned that carbs make me tired, gives me headaches and I feel blotted. My Dr wants me to eliminate wheat which is easy if I'm eating LCHF. I had lost 10 over 8 weeks or so and have gained back 7. Sad really.

I did track my eating because I do believe that eating in awareness is a vital tool to keeping the calorie count down. There were days I ate 3,000 calories of bad foods but had I not been tracking it could have been much worse. So thank goodness for MFP and my pals here.

Happy Sunday everyone. Blessings to all.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Most of us have slips at some time of another. If it's not food it might be in other ways. We're here almost around the clock if you need a friend, or just to talk something through rather than eat over it.
  • Jolene5329
    Jolene5329 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Introduction here...

Short story: No Thyroid, stable on meds; T2 using long & fast insulin, with Metformin.

I have hard a rough journey emotionally the last 3 years, in which at the end I threw my cigarettes away. In the last year 2014 I went up on weight 25#s and abused my fast insulin as well. "Yeah doughnuts, I have insulin ... So I'll take 2." Finally, I was sick of having to buy new clothes and I felt like dog poo.

At Christmas 2014, I tossed another bad habit in the trash bin: Sugar.

I went to my doctor and said, help, and he said, "It's the insulin." So I knew my goal was to reduce my insulin usage, which meant carb intake.

After going to a weight doctor and not losing an ounce in the first month, I got serious. I reloaded MFP on my phone and iPad, bought a FitBit Flex and got serious. I don't weigh in with the fat doctor until Friday, but I have been reducing my carb / calorie intake each week. I knew from history if I went cold turkey to 1100 calories and 90 carbs a day, I'd fail. So slowly I'm going down there slowly.

My doctor has told me - diabetics have it harder and that I will lose in 2 months what most people who aren't lose in a month.

I'm here to encourage others on the same journey.