Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Welcome Jolene. you have already accomplished great things with tossing the smokes and now the sugar and hopefully the insulin or being able to reduce it as your need for it reduces. Seems several of us are low thyroid and have insulin resistance or diabetic.

Probably not a bad idea to take those carbs down slowly until you are comfortable to dropping to the 20 or below you need to be. I dumped mine right away and suffered for it but at least I was not hungry. Except I sat in my chair for almost two weeks unable to do much more than the needed chores around here. Feeling much better now.

You can do this.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Thanks ladies for the acceptance! Here's my plan: 3 days of fasting from 7pm until at least 1pm to get an 18 hour fast, later if I can (I've done before so I know I can go to 3pm usually), remainder of day eat up to 500 calories of LCHF foods-50 grams carbs or under. Remaining days eat around 1500 calories LCHF.

Welcome Jolene (and anyone else I missed).
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Most of us have slips at some time of another. If it's not food it might be in other ways. We're here almost around the clock if you need a friend, or just to talk something through rather than eat over it.

Thanks! I will do that!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Welcome Jolene5329 Sounds as if you have a sensible doctor. They are far and few between! Congratulations to you for all the things that you have thrown away – awesome work! I’m glad you’ve joined our group and hope that you enjoy participating. I don’t know anything about being a diabetic but I’m certainly finding it’s slower for post-menopause. This is my first time of weight loos post menopause. Please chat here any time. This thread is for anything we want it to be!

@Shades I remember you feeling wiped out. I’m so happy that you have your energy back.

I seem rather cyclical at the moment – good one or two days and then back to really tired again. I’ve been sleeping really well ever since about a week in on my LCHF journey. Last week I had an 11 hour night, then 7, 7½, 7¼, 7¼, then two 9 hour nights. But after the first 9 hour I was so tired the next day I needed a nap that ended up being 2 hours. Today after the other 9 hour’s sleep I still feel a bit tired. And I feel ‘heavy’. My arms and legs are hard work to move – that kind of heavy. I seem to have made my keto flu a long drawn out affair. Typical of me to not do things typically ha ha!

@sbom that sounds like a great plan. You’ve obviously gained benefit from Intermittent Fasting before. I’ve done one 24-hour. 7pm Saturday evening to 7pm Sunday evening and I was amazed at how well it went. The way my weight is behaving I think I need to do this again LOL
  • j9swimer
    j9swimer Posts: 5 Member
    I just found this thread ... and want to say THANK YOU for starting this. I began my low carb lifestyle Nov 2013, due to testing results that showed I was insulin resistant and headed for diabetes. At that time I weighed 194. I am currently hovering between 159 - 163, with 12 more lbs to drop to reach goal weight. The first 12 to 14 lbs came off quickly, but since then, it has been slow progresses, and stall phases abound. I have had to adjust and fine tune my diet to keep loosing. Once I got the hang of it all, I have to say I very much like this lifestyle. I certainly feel better (all my joint aches went away!). I sleep better. My thinking is clearer. And, I have much more, and steadier, energy.

When I started this new way of living, I used MFP to help me understand exactly WHAT I was consuming in terms of macros (carbs/fiber to determine netcarbs, fats, proteins), and a blood glucose monitor to determine what foods caused those insulin spikes that so effectively put fat on me (despite eating 1400 calories/day or less!). I started out with a goal of no more than 100 carbs. That was easy! The next week I went to a 70 carbs or less. The following week I moved down to 50 carbs or less, and stayed between 30 and 50 carbs for a few weeks. Eventually, I settled into a 20 to 35 net carbs lifestyle. Unfortunately, I am one of the 30% or so for whom the LCHF results in very high tested LDL cholesterol. So, I am now altering my diet to see if this will reduce my LDL.

@GrannyMayOz, when I used to get the heavy/tireds with arms/legs that just do not want to move, it was a sign my electrolytes -- potassium, sodium and magnesium -- were low. When I was mindful and I ate high potassium foods, high magnesium foods, and liberally salted my foods or consumed salty broths, I did not experience "Keto flu" (even though my keto blood readings showed I was in ketosis). But when I did not do this I would eventually suffer the achy-slooooows. Fortunately, this was quickly relieved with a magnesium citrate supplement, along with a liter of water with 1/2 tsp "Lite Salt" (potassium chloride) dissolved in it, and some salted nuts (or salted something!).
  • GrannyMayOz
    Welcome j9swimer it's great to have you here, and really interesting to hear your story. It seems rather unfair that this group has to struggle, gram by gram and calorie by calorie to lose weight doesn't it? But I do accept that this is my lot in life and I may as well accept it and be happy ;)

I do hope that you find your magic formula again really soon so that you can start losing again. And see results with your LDL too.

Thank you for your advice on my current position. I know that my sodium and potassium are within normal range because I had a blood test very recently. I have been taking a small dose of iron, and have just restarted taking a magnesium supplement. I tried this before but it always made me feel slightly queasy, so today I took a half dose this morning and will take the other half before bed. I'm also switching to tea instead of coffee. There was a brand of coffee a while ago that made me more and more tired each day that I used it. Coffee is supposed to make us awake, right? LOL
  • sbom1
    Welcome J9...Happy Monday everyone!
    For those interested, it is my first IF day today (in over 2 years). Last ate at 8pm last night, now 12:30pm have had: Coffee with splash of cream and Tea with splash of almond milk. Due to break - fast at 2pm with small snack. Then dinner around 6:30pm (salmon and veggies). Should come in right around 500 cal as planned. Not really hungry now, had a few tummy rumbles on and off-drank water. Hope every IF day will be this easy!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    sbom1 wrote: »
    Welcome J9...Happy Monday everyone!
    For those interested, it is my first IF day today (in over 2 years). Last ate at 8pm last night, now 12:30pm have had: Coffee with splash of cream and Tea with splash of almond milk. Due to break - fast at 2pm with small snack. Then dinner around 6:30pm (salmon and veggies). Should come in right around 500 cal as planned. Not really hungry now, had a few tummy rumbles on and off-drank water. Hope every IF day will be this easy!

I'm really interested in seeing how IF works. It sounds like you've had a great first day--I hope it continues to be a great experience with great benefits for you! :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Well done sbom, sounds as if you did really well. It's a pain that MFP won't accept finalising your day when you've eaten fewer than 1,000 calories - will that bother you?

I did one 24 hour fast because I didn't feel well (I know that doesn't count ;)) but it jolted a 700 gram (1.5 lb) weight loss out of this otherwise very stubborn body.

I'm feeling more energetic today to the point that I don't want a nanna nap. This is improvement, and I'm rather thinking it's because of the magnesium supplement. I really dislike supplementing, but I'm loving LCHF so I guess I have to learn to like supplementing. Hoping improvements will continue in my energy levels, I really need it!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    @GrannyMaeOz I'm glad you're feeling better today. :D I don't like taking supplements either, but I do it (except when I forget!) b/c they help me. I have FM and it's always hard to tell what's wiping me out, but the supplements definitely help.

I love LCHF too, but am afraid my weight loss will stall before I lose a significant amount. It's slow-going, and I'm impatient to lose a bunch and feel better. But we'll all keep at it, won't we! :D

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small..." -Winston Churchill
  • GrannyMayOz
    We certainly will. Together, we will. And pound by pound, or gram by gram, we will get where we want to be with patience and wisdom and gentility - or something like that ;)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    We certainly will. Together, we will. And pound by pound, or gram by gram, we will get where we want to be with patience and wisdom and gentility - or something like that ;)

Very well said! <3
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member

I wish you luck in this as mine seems to be more like blood, sweat, and tears!!
  • sbom1
    Well done sbom, sounds as if you did really well. It's a pain that MFP won't accept finalising your day when you've eaten fewer than 1,000 calories - will that bother you?

I did one 24 hour fast because I didn't feel well (I know that doesn't count ;)) but it jolted a 700 gram (1.5 lb) weight loss out of this otherwise very stubborn body.

I'm feeling more energetic today to the point that I don't want a nanna nap. This is improvement, and I'm rather thinking it's because of the magnesium supplement. I really dislike supplementing, but I'm loving LCHF so I guess I have to learn to like supplementing. Hoping improvements will continue in my energy levels, I really need it!
    The magnesium is helping my sleep in leaps and bounds-it's the only thing I can attribute it to.
    Yes, frustrating not to be able to "close out the day" on the IF day but I track separately anyway on my own spreadsheet so I'll still log on MFP but just not get worked up over the IF days when I get the "you didn't eat enough calories" warning. Glad to hear your brief fast helped stimulate things. That is some of the appeal to me-prodding the metabolism. Have a good day!

Oh, btw...woke up this morning not in the least bit hungry, and down 0.8 pounds. But my BPC sure tastes good! I won't record the weight until I get a sense of what it does over the cycle of IF, feed, IF, feed etc.
  • GrannyMayOz
    RATSMITH69 wrote: »
    I wish you luck in this as mine seems to be more like blood, sweat, and tears!!
    I know RATSMITH. I'm afraid that comes along with our gender and age. I get frustrated and impatient from time to time, and was more of that in the early days. Now, I know that being peaceful and accepting is best for my mental state. And I know that keeping this way is easier after a while. When you're new and keen to get losing the weight *now* it's a lot harder.

I suppose I've reached the point now where I'm truly amazed at how much fat has dropped off of me, even though the scales refuse to acknowledge that anything has changed, *and* my waist and tummy measurements refuse to reduce. But there's no doubting I look different.

@sbom that's fantastic about the magnesium. My sleep is a whole new ball game since LCHF. I sleep really soundly every night. For the previous couple of years I was sleeping well *eventually* after taking 2 or 3 hours to actually fall asleep. So happy to hear about your hunger state, it's an amazing feeling isn't it? And yes, that morning fatty coffee is a bigger thrill than any sugary treat every was. Awesome on the weight loss too!

For me today, David has a rostered day off, which means I can't adjust over-doing it at lunch with my evening meal (when he's usually at work so I eat alone). I'm up 300 grams on yesterday so can only guess that I understated the calories and macros in the brunch that we ate out yesterday. Possibly explains why I struggled to eat all of my dinner last night, but it had bacon and I didn't want to waste it! Live and learn ;)

• sbom1
    Hope everyone had a happy St. Paddy's day and a good hump day to all for today!
  • sbom1
    How is everyone? Thread is buried way down the list! Another successful fasting day for me on Wednesday and a big calorie day yesterday (due to the champagne dinner I went to last night!) and weight this week is trending down!!! Another fast day scheduled for Saturday; I won't do 3 days each week but when I can, if things continue to be relatively easy and the trend is positive, I will.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    That is great news sbomb.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Hi sbom, we ignored St Patrick's Day entirely, but the Irish pub in the city was packed to the rafters apparently.

I had a 500 gram loss this morning which was a lovely surprise. All of it 'new weight lost' too. Hoping it stays off, but we shall see.

Well done on your fasting results and schedule, that really is awesome!!! And thank you for bumping - I was going to do that earlier but got side-tracked.
  • sbom1
    Hi Shades and Granny! I know we must have a lot of lurkers out there...come on chime in and let us know how you're doing/what you're doing. No haters here (wow some of the threads lately...)