Almond Joy Wanna Be's

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Tonight, I wanted to make an Almond Joy, but without all the carbs/sugar.

I have been doing a lot of different fat bombs. I develop them on my own. There may be recipes out there that precede me. On the other group called, "Keto" I outlined a "Putting Chocolate Back Together". Basically, instead of using refined neutral tasting coconut oil, you use what chocolate comes from Cocoa Butter. Cocoa butter is every bit as fat as coconut oil. But it tastes chocolatier.

So today I will carry this theme forward. Lets put coconut back together. I used some shredded coconut (organic & unsweetened):
62d9nzmhpynu.png

I bought it from Walmart. Then I mixed in Coconut Spread: (either will work, but I liked the one on the right better):

9190r6wnw30q.jpg

You don't want the "refined" variety, you want the coconutty flavor.

So I warmed up the coconut spread/oil in the microwave, then added the shredded coconut and mixed it thoroughly. I had to heat it up a little more, then I put it on a plastic platter and mashed it down with the backside on my metal measuring cup (a spatula would work). I formed it in a rectangle. Put it in the fridge, and in a few minutes it was hard.

7tezwmwjpnxo.jpg

Then I took a pizza cutter and made into little squares, placed a small piece in my fat bomb silicone mold. (I'm not perfect and I didn't make enough to fill all the spaces). Not wanting to go back and make more, I'll just have straight fat bombs with no coconut:

i623p2i2wute.jpg

Then I put (2) almonds on top of each coconut. I put (3) in the non-coconut cells:

myw739hspb6c.jpg

To make the re-united chocolate. I put Cocoa Butter, butter & Cool Whip in a cup, microwaved it until it melted. But not too hot. I then added the unsweetened cocoa powder. I use Ghiradelli, one time I tried Hershey's but it tastes like burnt coffee to me. But it's harder to find, try Whole Foods. Mix well or immersion blend it.

Then I had to sweeten it. I bought some liquid sucralose (Splenda) at Walmart tonight. I would stir it, mix it, taste it. It took a while to get it sweet. So you can use whatever sweetener you like, but I have noticed in the past that granulated products wouldn't dissolve in the oils. They would end up in the bottom of the cup, so the last couple fat bombs would be much sweeter than the others. And the first ones wouldn't be sweet enough.

Next, I take a teaspoon and drizzle one full spoon on each cell. Then some would end up between the cells, but that was ok, I felt like a kid helping mom make a cake and was scooping cake icing out of an near empty bowl. :D

1at4pvkr1km2.jpg

Cocoa butter melts at a higher temp, so no need to put in freezer, fridge will do.

After they cool, depart them from the mold and store in lidded container in the fridge.
I think they taste really good.

Here are the ingredients. Since I didn't have enough shredded coconut, I will add one more serving of it in the recipe below. I used a digital scale when weighing the ingredients.

DittoDan's Almond Joy Wanna Be's

60g (12 tbsp.) Unsweetened shredded coconut
84g (6 tbsp.) Coconut Oil Pressed (Unrefined)

3 tbsp. Butter
84g (6 tbsp.) Cocoa Butter (Un-refined)
36g (6 tbsp.) Ghiradelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
9g (2 tbsp.) Cool Whip (regular)
48 whole almonds (roasted salted) 1 1/2 servings or 3/8 of a cup.

Follow instructions above.

Macros: See pic. I entered everything in MFP recipe feature and I added the fiber (red):

ffbd5jxrslsx.jpg

Now, lets look at the real Almond Joy: Note that you get (2) bars in a package, so the info below needs to be halved to compare to mine. My wanna be's are very similar, but way less carbs/sugar.

y3f2e3josj81.jpg

Bon appetit,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Impressive! I need try this. Thanks for the recipe!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dan!
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Looks tasty.

Can you recommend an alternative for Cool-Whip for those who don't want to eat the crap that's in that stuff.

Also, how much does each of your squares weigh? Your current data is based on your specific silicone mold.
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Wow, those look delicious. I love making sweets and, being pretty new to ketogenic dieting, I haven't found many good-looking recipes. I've just been buying 85% cocoa bars from the store to satisfy my sweet tooth. But these look amazing, and I think I'll try them tonight. Thanks for posting this!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    nsoss wrote: »
    Looks tasty.

Can you recommend an alternative for Cool-Whip for those who don't want to eat the crap that's in that stuff.

Also, how much does each of your squares weigh? Your current data is based on your specific silicone mold.

Yes, use a tablespoon of Heavy Whipping Cream. I used some Cool Whip because everytime I buy HWC, it goes bad before I use it. I buy it thinking I'm gonna make butter or some other thing, then I go and open it and its yucky. I wonder if I "whip up" the HWC with an immersion blender, would it be Cool Whip? Or would it turn into butter? Then maybe I could freeze it? (I guess a trip to YouTube is needed).

I pulled the most "normal" looking bars out of the fridge and weighed them on my gram scale. A qty of 8 = 100 grams, so that's 12.5 grams ea. In ounces, that would be: 7/16 of an oz. (almost half an ounce).

I hope this helps,

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you stop whipping when it becomes whipped cream, you can freeze it and use it whenever. if you keep whipping it until it separates completely, you've made butter. :)
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    nsoss wrote: »
    Looks tasty.

Yes, use a tablespoon of Heavy Whipping Cream. I used some Cool Whip because everytime I buy HWC, it goes bad before I use it. I buy it thinking I'm gonna make butter or some other thing, then I go and open it and its yucky. I wonder if I "whip up" the HWC with an immersion blender, would it be Cool Whip? Or would it turn into butter? Then maybe I could freeze it? (I guess a trip to YouTube is needed).

I pulled the most "normal" looking bars out of the fridge and weighed them on my gram scale. A qty of 8 = 100 grams, so that's 12.5 grams ea. In ounces, that would be: 7/16 of an oz. (almost half an ounce).

I hope this helps,

Perfect. Thank you.
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey Dan,
    Today I went and bought all the ingredients to make this but it was impossible to find cocoa butter :((( What else can I use to replace it?!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Hey Dan,
    Today I went and bought all the ingredients to make this but it was impossible to find cocoa butter :((( What else can I use to replace it?!

I had to buy mine online because i couldnt find it anywhere else. Bought mine on amazon because Prime but I know Dan buys his at another site he likes.
  • DittoDan
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Hey Dan,

If you substitute, it won't be the same. Not even close. I couldn't buy it at any store and it wasn't cheap at Amazon Prime. So I found it: www.bulkapothecary.com

I also notice that they advertise here at MFP as a banner.

They have a nice website, a great description of their products, good containers, fast shipping and good prices. They also sell a lot of other good oils there in bulk, like coconut oil.

There are two types of Cocoa Butters. Refined and unrefined. You want the unrefined. This one has the full chocolate taste. The refined has the chocolate flavor processed out. This is very common among a lot of oils. Coconut oil has both tasteless and full coconut flavor. Olive oil has the same, virgin (heavy taste) and Light.

zzyye07b336z.jpg

It doesn't have a barcode on it or the Nutritional info on the container and I couldn't find that brand in MFP. But I did find one that is the same: Oil -Vegetable, cocoa butter.

Its worth the wait to get this ingredient. See my other chocolate recipes below, they all use it.

I hope this helps,
    Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you have a health food store, look where they keep the essential oil supplies. I can usually find cocoa butter there.

ETA: It's normally MUCH cheaper to order online.
  • gsrader
    gsrader Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stupid question...is there a way to mark this post so I can find it again?
  • Kellyss95
    Kellyss95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That looks so good !
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    gsrader wrote: »
    Stupid question...is there a way to mark this post so I can find it again?

@gsrader I tend to just copy and paste them into an email to myself. Right now there is no good way to search or retrieve these posts. Also, since many things on MFP sometimes disappear due to system needs, etc., if I have a copy of the information in my email, I'll always have this, particular in light of the fact that my gmail account has great search functionality.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Dan- you're brilliant! I will try this, but with HWC and Stevia.
    BTW- I got my cocoa butter from Amazon, (for those who couldn't find it).
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think I'll be making these tonight, can't wait.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could always use a high quality chocolate to start with, so you didn't have to reconstitute choc yourself. I've never seen/had an almond joy but these look delicious. Coconut and chocolate are meant to be together.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I suppose you could always use a high quality chocolate to start with, so you didn't have to reconstitute choc yourself. I've never seen/had an almond joy but these look delicious. Coconut and chocolate are meant to be together.

That's my plan, I'll melt some good dark chocolate to use, and no almond, they'll be more like mounds bars which are my favorite candy bar ever! I can't wait
  • angievanhill
    angievanhill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Almond Joy's. I make an almond joy smoothie all the time!!
    Almond milk, ice, chocolate protein powder, 2 tbsp coconut flakes.. blend... DELISH!! :)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Here's some more, glad you liked them:

All have artificial sweeteners (AS) in them. I will say that I am leaning towards what Fit_Goat has been saying all along, in that, I think if you overindulge in AS, it could have bad consequences in the form of "Unintentional Maintenance" in your weight loss ~ and/or cravings. So, I have been scaling them back, as of lately. I limit myself to none or 1 packet of AS per day.

I am working on a fat bomb with no AS in it. Its not ready for prime time yet.

Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Nut Bars ~ Fat Bombs
    Cocoa Butter @ www.bulkapothecary.com
    Cocoa Dusted Nuts Recipe
    Coconut Flavored Jello

I hope this helps,
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.