New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Brinasacat wrote: »
    Hello all. I'm 54, divorced, but have been in a relationship for 13 years so it feels like we're married. I have a 27 year old son. I've been on MFP for 3 years. I'm a slacker when it comes to logging food. I'd like to lose 40 more pounds. I'm down around 30, so that's about 10 pounds a year. I'm making very slow progress! I like to jazzercise for exercise, and have been going 4-6 days a week for over 10 years. I have arthritis (osteo), and this helps to keep my joints moving. I am stiff like an old dog at times.

Welcome to the group. The hare & the tortoise comes to mind, when reading your introduction, Sometime the slower we go the more successful we will be. Its great that you get to Jazzercise 4-6 days per week, sounds like great fun.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Welcome brin! We all approach things in our own way. It is marvelous how you are doing it. Great exercise and the pounds will stay gone.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome Brin! Hey, 30 pounds is 3/4 of your way there, who cares how long it takes! And Marekids is right, your way will keep them from coming back!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Brinasacat wrote: »
    Hello all. I'm 54, divorced, but have been in a relationship for 13 years so it feels like we're married. I have a 27 year old son. I've been on MFP for 3 years. I'm a slacker when it comes to logging food. I'd like to lose 40 more pounds. I'm down around 30, so that's about 10 pounds a year. I'm making very slow progress! I like to jazzercise for exercise, and have been going 4-6 days a week for over 10 years. I have arthritis (osteo), and this helps to keep my joints moving. I am stiff like an old dog at times.

Welcome to the group. The hare & the tortoise comes to mind, when reading your introduction, Sometime the slower we go the more successful we will be. Its great that you get to Jazzercise 4-6 days per week, sounds like great fun.

Congrats on the 30 pound loss...as they say....Success is not a race! Even with my methotrexate, I'm "stiff like an old dog" in the morning...but not as stiff as I once was carrying another person on my frame (LOL) --- Best wishes.
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Karen. I'm 62 and just started using MFP this week. I just finished my 6th day. I have four kids, 24,23,21, and 17. I never had a weight problem growing up, and even after my 4th child was born at the age of 45 I was doing fine. But the stress of working full time, and having four young children made me go on anti depressants. I started gaining weight and gaining more and now I'm up to 195 lbs. I should be at maybe 140 but right now I'm starting with a goal of 20 lbs. then I'll set another goal. I broke my ankle over three years ago and am still having problems with that. I'm trying to walk more and so far so good. Although today it snowed, I'm from Colorado so it snows into May so couldn't walk. I'm in overall good health except for weight. I love MFP. Entering the calories is so much fun and it's really motivated me to stick to 1310 calories. Which is what it picked for me. I never realized that a slice of Costco pizza has 700 calories in it! My motivating factor is I want to remain in good health and I know being overweight can lead to a lot of problems.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Welcome Karen, thanks for telling us your story. We have a great group here that will be there to support you and help keep you motivated.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Your plan of losing 20lbs is a great goal. We will help & support u as much as we can xx
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi all, My name is Maree - I'm 51 and I am married and have 3 sons (22, 19 and 17). I've been on MFP for almost 3 years now ( wow that time flew by). I lost a stack of weight in the first 15 months (woman on a mission) and then maintained well for the next 8 months until I turned 50 at xmas time. Gradually a few extra kilos have come back over the last 12 - 15 months and its take to take back the reins. I'm tracking carefully and exercising with a vengeance. Have a bit of a cold at the moment so not a strong appetite which is helpful right now :)

I use a fitbit surge hr so if anyone wants to add me on fitbit that would be great.
    https://www.fitbit.com/?userToken=wv9yrvh81c1vjdeh5zdf

My current plan is a 100 day commitment. I'm aiming for a 500 calorie deficit from food and a 500 calorie burn from fitbit ( or at least 10000 steps).

Tomorrow is Day 11 on my1 00 day plan. One day at a time for me. I'm sure some special occassions will pop up in the 100 days but I will just get back on track the next day and continue on.

I'm using Leslie Sansones walking dvds (muted sound) in front of tv to burn extra calories each day. Pushing myself some days when I would prefer to skip but I am committed.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you think we could support each other :)

~Maree (off to burn
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Hi Maree, welcome to the group, it's very nice to meet you.
    It sounds like you are very experience with MFP and have a great plan to get yourself back on track. Please feel free to jump in on any of the ongoing discussions or start a thread of your own on anything you want to share, learn, or is just fun.
    I truly believe having a great group of friends on here will help us all to stay on track and maintain our fitness once we get to our goals.
  • smd305
    smd305 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Sue. I have been struggling with my weight & yo-yo dieting since I was 16. I am the mom of 2 & grandma of 1 & I am getting scared that my weight problem will never be resolved. I am at my highest weight ever of 165 but I am 5' 2" so that is too high. I have had success with weight watchers many times but always gain it back. I am trying MFP now because logging my food & seeing what other people are doing is helpful. But it's so hard to get going. I binge eat at night when everyone else goes to bed.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Hi Sue, welcome to the group. I am also a past WW member. The connection on here with the ease of logging and instant feedback from friends seem to really be making a difference for me. Feel free to ask us questions as you are learning the MFP system. Also, I joined this thread in the general forum this month to help with my late night snacking issues and it has been really helping. Check it out:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10124291/challenge-for-april-2015-say-no-to-no-late-night-snacking/p1
  • smd305
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply. I forgot to say I am 56 years old so it is harder now! I will
  • smd305
    Options
    Sorry I meant to say I will check out that thread
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome, Maree and Karen! This is a very supportive group. For me, I need the support and accountability that MFP brings.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Hey Sue! I am a night time eater, so I understand. Having to log what I eat has been really helpful. Many of us are in the same boat. You can do this.
  • smd305
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback & support. It helps to know that other people understand.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 and I started this site in November 2014 as I was inspired by some of her comments in another forum. For me at the time it was what I hoped would be a form of therapy. I'd had two heart attacks in July 2014 and my cardiologist suggested I look for forums to track my cholesterol and sugar content. I found MFP shortly after arriving home. After looking around alot of the forums I couldn't find a like minded group that related to people that were older. I was still struggling with being considered "older" and getting a senior's discount at the local hairdressers (qualify over 55) . I'm only 56 years old.

To give you a brief history, my first HA happened on a business trip in Edmonton. That day, I knew that my husband of 25 yrs was back home packing up his belongings and moving out. The hospital informed him of my condition. He proceeded to leave an email for my daughter on an account she very seldom used but somehow that day she logged in and picked up the message. Needless to say, she left work and was on a plane headed west within hours leaving my 18yr old son alone looking after our black lab who was ill. Three days later they discharged me on a Friday night and before noon hour on Saturday, I'd suffered a massive heart attack that put me back in the hospital for 3 weeks. Came home with a collection of stents in my heart and medication galore. Some of the meds made me feel terrible and I had to set alarms on my phone to remember to take them all.

In Dec 2014, just hours after having spoken to a childhood friend (40+ yrs) wishing him a happy birthday, he was involved in a crash in his 18 wheeler and went on life support due to brain damage. He died Dec 27. For weeks I barely moved or ate as the depression sunk in deeper. I barely noticed when January came and went. Then in February we were told our 15 year old dog who had been a companion and best friend to our family had a stroke and was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer and had to be put to sleep. I was losing everything and it didn't seem to be stopping.

One thing that didn't stop was me logging in to MFP or reading the forums because it gave me something else to focus on late at night or before I ran out the door in the morning. Something other than me. The stories were inspiring but I couldn't continue with the upkeep on the site. Regretfully, I told BBee5064 to continue on.

Some days are still difficult when the angina pain is persistent but I can't stop or wait around for someone else to do whatever needs to be done. I try to forget that I'm still recovering and just go on and hope that I make it through the day. I've been back to work since mid-August in a high pressure job but it's something I really enjoy and it also lets me concentrate on issues that don't relate to me nor does it give me time to feel sorry for myself and my new "after HA's" way of life. I work in an office that has all day security. One of the guards is a paramedic so he occassionally checks in on me to see if I'm alright.

After the long hours and the long commute everyday, some days its all I can do to put dinner on the table and do laundry without trying to figure out if I have any energy to exercise. I've only lost 37 lbs so far as the exercising and weather conditions haven't been favorable. Now that its spring, I've raked up numerous bags of leaves and have tons more to do but that's for another day. I have my cell phone in one pocket and my nitroglycerin in the other pocket when I'm doing yard work. Correction... both of those things go everywhere with me.... and I mean everywhere.

My line to weight loss certainly hasn't been direct, as I've had ups and downs but it is coming off. I'll get there eventually. Another 25 lbs or so.

Sorry if this sounds depressing, its not supposed to be. I've been thankful for having the opportunity of reading about all of your successes and following your weight loss stories. Some of you I know a little more about as you are the originals on the site. I'm glad that each and every one of you have found the site and are working towards your goals.

Good luck to all of you on your journeys !!!

Heart2Health

• Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 and I started this site in November 2014 as I was inspired by some of her comments in another forum. For me at the time it was what I hoped would be a form of therapy. I'd had two heart attacks in July 2014 and my cardiologist suggested I look for forums to track my cholesterol and sugar content. I found MFP shortly after arriving home. After looking around alot of the forums I couldn't find a like minded group that related to people that were older. I was still struggling with being considered "older" and getting a senior's discount at the local hairdressers (qualify over 55) . I'm only 56 years old.

To give you a brief history, my first HA happened on a business trip in Edmonton. That day, I knew that my husband of 25 yrs was back home packing up his belongings and moving out. The hospital informed him of my condition. He proceeded to leave an email for my daughter on an account she very seldom used but somehow that day she logged in and picked up the message. Needless to say, she left work and was on a plane headed west within hours leaving my 18yr old son alone looking after our black lab who was ill. Three days later they discharged me on a Friday night and before noon hour on Saturday, I'd suffered a massive heart attack that put me back in the hospital for 3 weeks. Came home with a collection of stents in my heart and medication galore. Some of the meds made me feel terrible and I had to set alarms on my phone to remember to take them all.

In Dec 2014, just hours after having spoken to a childhood friend (40+ yrs) wishing him a happy birthday, he was involved in a crash in his 18 wheeler and went on life support due to brain damage. He died Dec 27. For weeks I barely moved or ate as the depression sunk in deeper. I barely noticed when January came and went. Then in February we were told our 15 year old dog who had been a companion and best friend to our family had a stroke and was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer and had to be put to sleep. I was losing everything and it didn't seem to be stopping.

One thing that didn't stop was me logging in to MFP or reading the forums because it gave me something else to focus on late at night or before I ran out the door in the morning. Something other than me. The stories were inspiring but I couldn't continue with the upkeep on the site. Regretfully, I told BBee5064 to continue on.

Some days are still difficult when the angina pain is persistent but I can't stop or wait around for someone else to do whatever needs to be done. I try to forget that I'm still recovering and just go on and hope that I make it through the day. I've been back to work since mid-August in a high pressure job but it's something I really enjoy and it also lets me concentrate on issues that don't relate to me nor does it give me time to feel sorry for myself and my new "after HA's" way of life. I work in an office that has all day security. One of the guards is a paramedic so he occassionally checks in on me to see if I'm alright.

After the long hours and the long commute everyday, some days its all I can do to put dinner on the table and do laundry without trying to figure out if I have any energy to exercise. I've only lost 37 lbs so far as the exercising and weather conditions haven't been favorable. Now that its spring, I've raked up numerous bags of leaves and have tons more to do but that's for another day. I have my cell phone in one pocket and my nitroglycerin in the other pocket when I'm doing yard work. Correction... both of those things go everywhere with me.... and I mean everywhere.

My line to weight loss certainly hasn't been direct, as I've had ups and downs but it is coming off. I'll get there eventually. Another 25 lbs or so.

Sorry if this sounds depressing, its not supposed to be. I've been thankful for having the opportunity of reading about all of your successes and following your weight loss stories. Some of you I know a little more about as you are the originals on the site. I'm glad that each and every one of you have found the site and are working towards your goals.

Good luck to all of you on your journeys !!!

Heart2Health

Hi heart :),
    So sorry to hear of the sadness you have been through. Life can be very challenging but so worth it.
    You have lost 37lbs which is absolutely fantastic! Congratulations.
    I'm 51 and my husband is 63. We are both fit but his family has a very long history of heart conditions.
    Our second son has high functioning autism and has just started university (college) this year. He struggles but we love and support him. He is happy (although anxious) which means a great deal.
    Its great to reach out and share with people (even strangers on the internet)...lol. I think many people became overweight because they eat their problems. It took our sons paedeatrician to "shake me up" enough to find mfp and start losing weight and getting fitter almost 3 years ago. Its a lifetime commitment for me
  • marekdds
    Options
    Dear heart, you have done an amazing job. You are surviving and getting better. Many of us have succumbed to much lessor challenges. Congratulations! very impressive.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Hello Heart2health. Great to see you here again. We missed you!! Sounds like you are doing great. I agree with marekdds. Congratulation's Heart ! very impressive xx