100% new to Low Carb

Options
13»

Replies

• JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! Also, do we go for Net calories or total?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Net usually, but some people find they need to go by total if they're having issues.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    Lol, then I have a problem! I burn a lot of calories during the day and have a hard time meeting a net calorie of even 1k most days. Even without being low carb I had this problem.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think that was supposed to be net carbs...not calories... But you don't want to have too much of a deficit. You need to find out what your body burns truly...and go from there. But also, high density foods will help you achieve a greater calorie consumption, if you don't fill up too much. And remember that unless you're wearing an HRM, the calorie burns assigned by MFP are generally exaggerated. Most people I know bur 65-75% of the calories MFP says they do.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    oh, im aware how exaggerated they are, I wear an HRM so i put in the real amount displayed. today I managed a little over 200 deficit. better than the last few days. And I am excited to go food shopping for more variety in my diet. also, what are some snack items that people eat? Nuts? Yogurt? What can we have thats good for us, not too many carbs, and tasty. Sometimes I just want want a small snack and I dont know what to eat, so I eat nothing. Suggestions?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I like macadamia nuts or slices of deli meat. And pork rinds but iirc you said you don't eat those.
  • FitnFierceJamie
    FitnFierceJamie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Snacks: dill pickles wrapped in cheese and turkey slices dipped in mayo, green olives and cream cheese, cream cheese clouds, tuna salad, egg salad, pepperoni chips, cheese chips, fat bombs
  • golfgirl99
    golfgirl99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Avocado on and with everything is a great way for me to get in fats! I am lucky I live in California and have open access to them though! I have never felt better and have never in my 34 years not spent most of my day thinking about food....not untill I started LCHF a month ago! It's been amazing and so have the results! Welcome!
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Loads of good info from previous commenters.

Check out the keto FAQ on reddit too if you want (google it), its a nice overview of keto and whatnot.

If you like coffee, check out bulletproof coffee or a variation of it. Its what I use to boost my fat intake in the morning along with my caffeine fix.

Do you have a Pinterest? There are loads of recipes you can find on there that are keto friendly.
    Check out caveman keto, and ruledme as well for recipes.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just went out shopping today and spent 131 dollars on food for my house, with excellent deals on ribeye steaks, pork, fish, and ground beef. I am doing pretty good so far, I am normally under 20g of carbs, never over calories, and I am learning how to read those labels on the back of food to see how much of the calories come from fat. And I have to say that this change is for sure working. I am almost down 10lbs and I have lost a few inches here and there. Some of my friends say they can see the change, which is great inspiration. Others, however, basically yelled at me for choosing Keto because of how little carbs I am eating, since they dont understand how it works. But, as I learn I post articles on my Fb for friends and family to read so they are just as informed, mostly, as I am.