Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, love the wedding photos. Just got back from my Taekwondo tournament. Will weigh in morning to see how I did. Ate McDonald's grilled chicken Caesar salads a few days, steak & salad at night, and sausage & eggs in mornings. Scraped egg salad off bread they served refs for lunch and BPC twice a day some days. Tried to make cheesecake balls with 1/2 c cream cheese, 1/4 c cream, & 1 package sugar free jello. Think it might need something else. Or my taste buds could be off. Any suggestions. I did go back to drinking more diet coke, tho. Socializing in evenings I couldn't just stick to water.
  • RivkaHobden
    RivkaHobden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie. What a great idea to have a place for "us"! :)

I'm a Kiwi, aged 58 and weighed 115.9 kg on April 7. Today, after 4 weeks on LCHF, I weighed in at 109.5. I do 19g carbs, 108g fat and 113g protein on 6200 kj per day. I set MFP up to lose .6 of a kilo each week but these first four weeks have been way (weigh!?) faster than that. Stick to my guns almost every day although sometimes I can't quite eat as much as I'm "supposed" to. I have 3 or 4 cups of brewed coffee with pouring cream between 9 and 12, then a meal around 1 pm of meat and veggies (not too many of these), sometimes plus cheese and/or eggs and drink a bottle of No Sugar Soda Stream during the afternoon. Usually a chunk of Brie with some cucumber for afternoon tea. I then have a really good dinner around 7and sometimes a Weight Watchers jelly (a whole one) with blackberries and more cream. Some days I'll have a choc fat bomb or an almond butter bomb. If I exercise, I eat a bit more as it's important not to get muscle wastage at "our" age (as someone else pointed out) - especially fat. I weigh every day because I'm fascinated and love seeing the numbers go down, but don't always record on MFP. If I've put on weight, it's because I've eaten too much protein and I know it. Never carbs as I always stick very close to the 19 net. Love avocado because the carbs are almost cancelled out by the fibre - same with blackberries. Gotta say - I LOVE eating this way.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Welcome, this is a great group and you will feel at home here !
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I've been busy these past few days actually getting some spring cleaning done. To feel like doing it is totally new to me! It's been so long since I've had energy to do anything more than the bare minimum (and my home shows it too!)! I'm not getting terribly sore from it, as I would have before this woe! Today I carried wreath making supplies from downstairs to upstairs making four trips up, cleaned the guest bedroom, washed two loads of laundry on top of my everyday stuff. May not seem like much, but, for me it's a lot and to not be hurting this evening is a major accomplishment!

@Kitnthecat, the U.S. was begun by immigrants. We have all lived together forever. It seems to be the newer immigrants who want to change everything. I've never understood people wanting to live here but then telling us how we need to change. I don't think we are the ones who should be doing the changing. Phew! Rant over, for now!

@jumanajane, love the chocolates. They are precious. Very creative!

@GrannyMayOz, I love the wedding photos. You look to be very young in 75, like you were a teen! I hope the weight creep gets worked out soon!

@wheatlessgirl, hope you are sleeping better and things are looking up for you on all fronts!

@RATSMITH69, so happy things have worked out for you! Glad to have you back on the wagon with us! Am jealous of your travels to come. I love cruises! Have a great time!

@Sk8Kate, hope your tournament went well!

@RivkaHobden, Welcome to the group! Good to see you here!

I'm a week into the meativore May. Seems to be going well, so far, but I do miss salad. Have found salami to be really good. Will get on scale and report in on that thread in the morning.
    See y'all later! Have a great evening, or morning, everyone!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Hello Ladies. I'm not feeling well this evening. I've had a headache that has been getting worse, with neck pain today. I went to see Dr Randy after work and he took many X-rays of my neck. I've had the urge to continue to stretch my jaw throughout the day, by opening my mouth really wide while tilting my neck back as I go for walks away from my desk, probably hoping to release the tension in my head and ease the pain. I had to take ibuprofen at work and just now. Not sure how I'll sleep. Feeling kind of nauseous too. I have to think it's due to the car accident and not something I've eaten or not eaten. I'll be interested to see the X-rays when I go back on Saturday.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @Kitnthecat, hope the ibuprofen helps relieve your pain. So sorry you are having these problems. They are no fun, at all. I understand the jaw thrust maneuver. Trying to release the tension in the muscles back there can be super frustrating!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Yes, thanks for understanding what I'm talking about. This isn't a stress kind of a headache, although I feel stressed about it now. It feels like something physical needs to be released to let out the pressure that feels like it's building up.... I don't know how else to describe it.

It is kind of cool to be able to know my body so well now and understand when something is wrong. I went into the chiropractor's office, told him I had a headache and that I thought it was because of my neck. My old method would just be to keep popping pain killers and keep working until I absolutely could not any more, and probably damage myself more. I really need to listen to my body and treat it kindly and naturally and find solutions that work.

Here's something nice. He gave each mother who visited the office a long stemmed peachy-coloured rose to take home for Mother's day. Isn't that sweet ?
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Hello Gorgeous Ladies <3

@Ellen I’m sorry to hear of your disturbed sleep, that’s no fun at all, and not so good for weight results either. I’m doing dreadfully on the weight loss front so I’ll share the award with you of ‘Gains or Maintains With Consistency’ *groan*.

@MeMaawRebecca I hope you’re settling back in with LC and real life with a continually relieved heart. I love the names our Grandies give us. I’m Granny May, but when my girls were smaller they couldn’t say that so I was May May for quite a while. And yes, all those words we have to now be careful with and make a whole sentence around to show we’re talking about polite things like being gay and happy, or camping in the great outdoors and the list is nearly endless isn’t it? Thank you for the congrats, it’s been a very very happy 40 years. I wonder what the June Challenge will be? It’s nice having them and I feel that it’s brought the whole group together more than it was before. The boards are so busy now. I used to read every thread, but now I’m choosing. Which is good because I get off here and go do some crafts or… housework ;) I’m going to start ACV again after the 5 days dairy-free; I think it was good when I was doing that before and I hope it gives you good results! Oh wow, the cruise sounds wonderful!!!

@Kate How was the weigh-in? Hope it was a happy result. Sounds as if you made the right choices all through, I’m so proud of you and hope the scale rewarded you for it! If you want to order water in a bar without seeming (whatever, don’t know what word – different?) you can apparently ask for an Eskimo on the Rocks. I like that name. It’s just water and ice.

My sweet treat is…
    Coconut Bounty Bar Slice (g = gram / T = tablespoon / t = teaspoon)
    75 g dessicated coconut
    130 g coconut oil
    3 T coconut cream or milk
    1 t xylitol/sweetener to taste
    ½ t vanilla essence

100 g 72% dark Ghana chocolate
    25 g coconut oil

Mix everything together in a bowl, stirring well. Press into a small square baking tin or similar. Use a spatula or knife to cut into squares and then put in fridge

Melt chocolate and coconut oil together then pour over coconut layer. Set. Turn slice over and cut marked squares all the way through from the bottom.

@Rivka Welcome neighbour! I really hope you feel at home here and are loving the Low Carb lifestyle. I weigh every day too, it’s so interesting!

@Karlotta Great to hear about your energy and desire to Spring clean. My house awaits if you still have energy and finish yours ;) I wish I had stairs in the house so I can get some floors recorded on my fitbit har har! Most houses here are single storey. I was 18½ when I got married. David had just turned 20 so yes, I was a teenager. And thank you, I hope I start to lose again soon. It sure is lovely when it’s moving downwards on a regular basis, but ‘ve been here before and I know it will start again.

@Kitn Oh gosh, I’m so sorry to read about how you’re feeling! I really hope Dr Randy has been able to help you. I’ve had ‘head’ aches where my spine joins my skull and they really are a sickly pain – I wouldn’t wish that on anyone! I do hope he can see what the problem is and help you quickly and completely! My prayers and thoughts are with you in the meantime. It’s beautiful that he gave you a rose! Better than a chocolate too.

My weight is playing silly sausage with me, but I know it will pass. Being dairy free doesn’t seem to be achieving anything at all and, although I’d have loved to be losing this week, at least it means lack-of-dairy is achieving nothing so I can put it back in my life again. I’ve missed butter the most, because I slather that on things to get my fat macro raised for the day when I need it. And I’ve missed cheese somewhat. However, I seem to be losing body fat again. Weight loss and fat loss seem to happen independently of one another on this WOE, it’s really strange.

• AlaskaSusan
    AlaskaSusan Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ~ dupe ~
  • AlaskaSusan
    Options
    Well, it looks like I've found the place to be! It's been fun getting to 'know' you ladies by reading the older posts here and I'd love to join in. I am 59 now, lost 120 pounds in 2013-14, and am just totally stuck on that last 30 lb to goal. I do much better on low carb/high protein and don't track fat grams but do count calories; and I log daily. Much more active now that 'most' of the weight is off - work out in the gym at least 3x per week, and have actually gotten up to 5 miles running outdoors, though that tapered over the winter and I'm working on adding distance again now, with the goal of an actual 5K race this summer.

Other stuff: I've been a widow for 30 years now (married Dec 1974) and have never so much as been out on a date though I'd love to meet someone. Two grown, terrific sons off on their own now - one moved out of Alaska, and the other is thinking about it so that's pretty tough on Mom (travel is very spendy from up here) but we'll work it out. Right now I'm in the midst of fixing up an old house to sell it and move to the countryside out of town.

This week I am trying to get back on track with carbs especially, so will be using ketostix to make sure I get there. Looking at the backside of 50s and seeing 60s in the windshield makes me realize how much life I wasted by being so heavy and out of shape. In all the prior weight loss attempts (and there were MANY, with some success) I NEVER got below where I am now but always put it back on. So at least I'm maintaining at an old set point but I do believe I should weigh less, the doctor agrees, and it will just take some work!
    Glad you're here! :)
  • AlaskaSusan
    Options
    Well, it looks like I've found the place to be! It's been fun getting to 'know' you ladies by reading the older posts here and I'd love to join in. I am 59 now, lost 120 pounds in 2013-14, and am just totally stuck on that last 30 lb to goal. I do much better on low carb/high protein and don't track fat grams but do count calories; and I log daily. Much more active now that 'most' of the weight is off - work out in the gym at least 3x per week, and have actually gotten up to 5 miles running outdoors, though that tapered over the winter and I'm working on adding distance again now, with the goal of an actual 5K race this summer.

Other stuff: I've been a widow for 30 years now (married Dec 1974) and have never so much as been out on a date though I'd love to meet someone. Two grown, terrific sons off on their own now - one moved out of Alaska, and the other is thinking about it so that's pretty tough on Mom (travel is very spendy from up here) but we'll work it out. Right now I'm in the midst of fixing up an old house to sell it and move to the countryside out of town.

This week I am trying to get back on track with carbs especially, so will be using ketostix to make sure I get there. Looking at the backside of 50s and seeing 60s in the windshield makes me realize how much life I wasted by being so heavy and out of shape. In all the prior weight loss attempts (and there were MANY, with some success) I NEVER got below where I am now but always put it back on. So at least I'm maintaining at an old set point but I do believe I should weigh less, the doctor agrees, and it will just take some work!
    Glad you're here!
  • AlaskaSusan
    Options

Glad you're here! :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Welcome Susan <3 Alaska? Wow! Truly the other end of the Earth from me, and no wonder you can't go out running in winter! Kudos for the fantastic weight losses in the past and for keeping it off so well for so long. That's a win right there even if you never lose another pound. But we know you will. I understand how hard it must be with the prospect of your second 'baby' leaving home, but glad you have the renovation work to focus on. I'm sure we can kick this final weight together!

What do you find different about running with LC compared to before? I had a set-back with mine and am really struggling to feel 'safe' to run hard again. The 'heart palpitations' that weren't heart related at all, really frightened me and I guess I'm being ridiculous instead of just getting back to it and taking no notice.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.
    Today was my birthday and I blew my carbs a bit. Sad thing is I had dessert (ok parts of 2) for supper & it wasn't that good (should've went to DQ). I'm still <50g, but hope this won't set me back too far. So, for a crappy dessert I had way too many carbs, got a tummy ache & the poops, AND guilt - so not worth it! But, now I know, I might want the sweets but my body doesn't. Just have to get my mind on board with my body's agenda.
    @GrannyMayOz thanks for the recipe. Looks good. I like the new thread you started, hope it works for you.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Happy belated Birthday @Kate! I hope it was a happy one other than the results of the dessert :( And hope you're fully recovered very quickly too!

No worries on the recipe, I really like it. It feels like a sweet treat but is mostly a healthy fat bomb other than the tiny speck of xylitol.

And thank you for the wishes. It looks *really* odd seeing a 40 in my carb goal column instead of the <15 that it's had in there since January, but here goes. Probably going to have to buy some sweet potato or rice, which will thrill David to bits, he's been missing them. Or maybe extra onion, capsicum (peppers) and tomato. Have been limiting onion to half a small one for so long ha ha!

Oh and I had butter yesterday, as well as a decent night's sleep after 3 that were a bit short. Back down 500 grams (1.1 lbs) of the weight I'd gained in the past 2 weeks. Was it the sleep? Was it the continuing lack of cheese and cream? Was it the addition of the butter? Far too many options, and to reproduce each in turn... well, life's too short even for this statistics-lover ;)

<3 Have a great day everyone, it's nearly the weekend. And Mother's Day in Australia and the USA <3
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @Kate Happy Birthday! Aw, so rotten that your birthday treat wasn't so much of a treat after all. I don't think it will set you back very much though. Today's another day. :)

Happy Mother's Day to you, too, May---and to all the other moms as well! <3 For me, it's an "I don't have to cook" day---yay! I'm thinking my husband will grill steak; I prefer to eat at home rather than go out to a restaurant. I'll enjoy having those 40 carbs at my disposal that day. ;)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hello everyone! Happy May 8th!

Went to sons Senior Awards Night yesterday evening. Landon received an academic award for highest gpa in his English 4 class. Am a proud mamma! They also presented scholarships to students which totaled just over two million dollars! Amazing achievement for a class of 187 students!

@GrannyMayOz, this healing that our bodies are going through is an amazing process. The years of carbage, for me, is going to take a while, but I will be there. I hope yours and wheatlessgirl66 experiment back into the carb world works for y'all! Can be bit frustrating at times!

I have made the shift to acceptance that carbs are poison for me. Every time I look at something that I may have liked before LCHF I am quickly reminded of the results of eating it, and have no desire for it, at all!

I am headed to Oxford, Mississippi this afternoon. We are going for my nieces graduation from the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). There will be breakfast at her place and then a big party after graduation Saturday evening. Should be interesting! Then we will drive back Saturday night. Will be a tired puppy Sunday but will be fun to celebrate her accomplishment.

I hope y'all have a great weekend, and Mothers Day too!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    David has to work Sat and Sun so we're visiting his Mum Sat morning and mine Sun morning. My boys are coming to see me Sun arvo after David's gone to work. I'm glad you won't have to cook, that's always a lovely break isn't it?
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, good to hear everyone is doing well

@GrannyMayOz and @wheatlessgirl66 , I could not imagine seeing my carb count at 40 now...must feel so weird to you both but perhaps is just the thing you need to do to get things moving.

Happy belated @Sk8Kate - nothing worse than having a cheat and not enjoying it

Congrats on your sons accomplishments @Karlottap and good luck with your travels this weekend

Personally I have not been logging for the last week and feel so liberated. I have not "cheated" or indulged in extra carbs and feel great. Not being a slave to the logging feels so great. I am down .5 today which is .5 for the week and it is my TOM so I am sure I am on the right track.

Have a great Mother's Day Weekend Ladies

• RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Lots of new faces I'm trying to catch up! Welcome Susan.

I've had a really easy time getting back into LC so far. Going thru that whole breakout thing again but I seemed to have skipped the keto flu this go round (whew!). I'm at 185lbs today but I tend to bounce around 2 or 3 lbs daily so I don't pay a lot of attention as long as my "trend" line is still headed downward. I just love the Libra app that Goat suggested as it helps me "ignore" slight gains when I can see that downward line.

Mother's Day, whew. My Moma's 73rd bday was just last Saturday. She lives with me so we did breakfast and I had a guy come out and plant her rose bushes in the front beds (as I've mentioned before I don't do green/outside). She loves the plants and has a whole front deck full of stuff but doesn't do well getting out into the yard so I had a man come out and do it for her. She loved it and he was really great. So....how to top that for Mother's Day??! :/ My boys will be at my place at some point or all weekend, I never know with those two they tend to pop in and out and stay for a few min or a few days depending on their moods. Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad they come around!!

Ms. May sounds like you have a very busy weekend ahead. Hope you enjoy all the visits.

Karlotta go ahead and preen over the genius boy. ;) I sure would. And I agree with the carb/poison thing, it's so strange how different people process different things. Hope you have a safe and fun trip!

Happy belated bday Kate! Hope you are feeling better.

Have a great day everyone <3