Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• micwrites
    micwrites Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all! So nice to see this discussion. I am 54 and have 56 pounds to lose to get to 199 although I'd like to be at about 175 eventually. I gained a ton of weight in the last years of my marriage and am now really ready to change my life, and do it for me. I was unable to get the scales to move at all until about 8 days ago when I started reading the book Wheat Belly and cut out a lot of wheat-based foods. And, I also stopped having the glass or two of wine a night that I loved to sip, and have replaced it with lemon water all day. With the reduction of carbs and sugar I find I am still reaching just under my calorie goal of 1490 pretty much every day and eating healthier food and I have lost 7 pounds since the 14th. I am also working out a lot, playing doubles tennis and walking the dog. I am really optimistic that this time it will be for real if I can just stay motivated. Which is one of the reasons that I love this site. ... I am still waking up all night in a sweat, no matter how much water I drink, though.
  • happylifex10
    happylifex10 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good morning/evening all
    @GrannyMayOz hope you are feeling "right" very soon. That long, hot walk you had has probably dehydrated you and hopefully you will be feeling much better very soon.

@wheatlessgirl66 I understand your discouragement on the stall - I was stalled for 4 weeks and finally broke through. Don't give up, you can break through

I would like to get in on the liposuction deal as well - should get a better price on 3

It warmed up here (Ontario, Canada) last week but this week we are having a cool 45 degree, wet and windy week and has me depressed as I have was out walking for 65 minutes and feeling great but can't do it so far this week as the showers have been very scattered and the wind very strong....I guess I'll have to do some sort of indoor exercise (my house would probably appreciate a good cleaning but...)

Have a great day ladies
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. It is lovely over here, what wonderful ladies !

I want to share with you that years ago, after I lost that first 100 pounds, I had a skin flap hanging like a little skirt in front of me. I was very self conscious of it, so I decided to have a tummy tuck, and that did include some liposuction. My tummy tuck was not only the tummy and belly button reconstruction, but also wrapped around each hip. My work probably went 3/4 of the way around me, and my incision is low in the front and wraps up higher to the hips.

Sadly I gained all the weight back plus more, when stress hit. It's interesting that anywhere you get lipo, you never gain fat again in that area. So as I gained weight, I still retained a flat stomach, and luckily as I am losing weight, now 73 pounds lighter than my heaviest....... so far my tummy is still flat and hips look OK. I wonder how it will look in the end. It was mortifying to gain is all back after having had surgery, but so far so good, it doesn't look too bad. I do have quite a bit more to lose, so we will see.

If any of you decide to get liposuction, be prepared for a bit more pain than you might imagine. You will be sore. Of course, my surgery was so extensive that it took quite a while to recover. It was very painful. I wore a compression garment for weeks, which held me together, otherwise I felt like I could come apart. It has been 9.5 years since my surgery, and I still have a bit of pain in some areas. Overall, I am glad I did it, but the way I feel now about doing things as naturally as possible...I likely wouldn't choose to do it now.

I know it's something we might joke about....an easy way to get rid of fat. But I think we rush into decisions like this. I know I wanted a quick fix. I would advise to really think hard about having it done.
  • debbiesteinman
    debbiesteinman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I thought I would join your group. From reading all your posts I now see that We All Are In The Same Boat! Wow! I gained 40 pounds when I quit smoking (1.5 years now) I joined a gym in November and am getting personal training 3times a week and I do my cardio HIIT training 5 times a week and still the fat won't budge! I think I now must stick to a very low carb diet since calorie counting alone does nothing. I have strong muscles under this fat but the fat remains. The diet is so important so I will take your suggestions and try to add more protein and good fats to kick start the fat burn.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @grannymayoz Glad you're feeling better now! Whew. <3 Maybe I should try "mixing it up" a little to see if that works. I have fiddled w/ calories/macros, eaten below 1000 cals some days and 1400 on others. I'm really trying to eat according to hunger. Some days I'm hungry, some not. Seems a lot of people on the forum are that way.

@micwrites I read Wheat Belly and dropped wheat, grains, most sugar 4 years ago. I was all excited, thinking I'd lose weight, but I was one of the 'five people' who didn't. It's hard to grasp how eliminating all the bread, cookies, etc. made absolutely no difference in my weight. I love to bake but no longer do it except on rare occasions for my family. I still don't eat wheat, grains, sugar. I'm glad it's been so helpful to you! Edited to add: Neither do I eat the packaged non-gluten junk!

@happylife I won't give up. Thanks, I hope you're right and I'll break through the barrier. Hope your weather improves so you can get out there for your walk!

@kitnthecat The Whole Body Liposuction was a joke---I have no intention of having liposuction. But thanks for the warning! ;)
  • happylifex10
    Options
    @Kitnthecat and @wheatlessgirl66 - I was joking as well about the liposuction - I had 2 x C-Sections 30 and 28 years ago and that belly pouch just won't seem to go away...
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you are all feeling positive and bouncy! Not wobbly but bouncy,lol.

A couple of days ago(I think) I read a brilliant article about the effects of sugars on the body and how they produce an inflammatory response which goes when you go low carb (no knee pain for 3 weeks Thank God and I didnt realise the connection until now!) and how all those nay-sayers say we needs carbs to feed the brain but explaining why we dont etc. This morning a 'friend' sent me an article in the UK paper The Daily Mail saying we need to stop demonising carbs and just stop eating processed food and how stopping carbs can make you fat because you eat too much fat yadayadayada. Do you think I can find that article now???? NO! I have searched my search history several times and just cant find it!! Argghhh. Lolol. Never mind, deaf ears and all that!

Along with many of us I recorded a new low the day before yesterday and today its up again and... tomorrow its injection day for my testosterone. If you havent read my 'history' you wont know I have had these jabs since I was 38 so 20 years and Im not giving them up until I have to! They are cardio-protective, keep my lady-bits working well and good muscle tone,lol. In the past my weight would drop a bit as my blood level dropped so the few days before the next injection were good but then go up a bit again after it. Hope its not a huge jump!

@May. I'm so glad you are listening to your body and eating as you need to. Your low cal eating must have depleted your energy more than you realised. Please take care...you are important to a lot of people! I loved reading your Travel blog about Kuala Lumpur. Saving Phuket and Malaysia 2014 for a 'grey day'.

Count me in for the lipo...question is...where would we get it done???? Dubai seems a good centerpoint,lolol. You could all come and then....chicken out and just just enjoy the turqoise seas and lovely weather and shopping but make it quick, lol, only 30C today but give it a month or so and it will be 45+

@kitnthekat your do sounds really fun! So pleased you and @Teneko are fitting into skinny clothes.. Our turn soon!
    OMG you are so brave to have had the tummy tuck but I'm so pleased your tum is staying flat! I have had to accept that my tum is a longstanding side effect of the testosterone in my body but even stopping them now probably wouldnt make any difference!

@wheatlessgirl Keep at it, we are all sending positive thoughts to keep you from slipping. Look forward to hearing you have had a drop!

@micwrites and @happyflex. Nice to meet you! Welcome @debbie...

@kate you will settle down once you get things clear in your mind about what and how much to eat. Its quite different doing LCHF to Atkins really, eating the high fat but keeping in the cals is weird at times but you get there. A lot of the sites on the launchpad are really good for giving meal plans etc , may be worth a look.

@karlottap,odirish, Tracy and RisiM and all of the rest of our lovely group...hope you are all doing well.
  • happylifex10
    Options
    weathered the wind and beat the rain/hail and got in 50 minutes.....feels so good to the mind and body. Have a great day ladies
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome @micwrites it’s great to have you join us! Glad to hear of your weight loss and healthier eating, that’s awesome!

@happylife Yes, I think you’re right, dehydration from that walk even though I was drinking from a bottle at the start of it, and I’ve been accidentally under-feeing myself lately too. But today I’ve been feeling better and better thank goodness. Yes I’m sure we can get a good liposuction deal for all 3 of us ;) I think I’ve stolen your warm weather. It was cooling down and we had some wet days but it’s back to hot, summery days again. Indoor exercise definitely shouldn’t include obligatory cleaning! Aah, I see you went out anyway – great work!

@Kitn thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and I’m really happy that you retained the flat tummy. I’d hate to see you need the same operation again. I was joking about the lipo. I mean, the thought of losing fat ‘easily’ is appealing, but I once saw it done on a TV show and the surgeon did *not* look gentle! But pain after all this time? Wow! :( If I was going to do anything surgically it would be to remove the turkey hangings from my chin and neck, and perhaps my triceps area but the chances of any of that are around 2%

@debbiesteinman Welcome to you too! I feel the same about the muscles – I have a good share, but nobody is likely to even see a hint of them because I have then well wrapped up. I hope this way of eating is your answer! Have you been to a keto/low carb macros calculator to see where to aim your diet each day? I was reading an article today saying that HiiT is better for men than women; that women are better suited to continuous stuff like aerobic classes and multiple sets/reps for weights rather than explosive bursts or maximum effort with few reps. Obviously we’re all different and you may feel differently, but if it’s of any interest here’s the link http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/why-women-should-not-train-like-men/

@Ellen Oh gosh, wouldn’t it be wonderful if we all knew the *exact* thing to do to get our weight heading downwards consistently? It’s like stumbling around blind-folded, trying to find a pin in a needle factory! But I think most of us are getting small losses and learning to wear our patience proudly *sigh!*

@Jane Daily Mail? I used to do a paper round before school (in the UK) when I was 15. I loved the Daily Mail, it was so much easier to get into the letterboxes than the bigger papers. Don’t you hate disappearing articles though? I’ve experienced that too. And I hope your weight surprises you with a nice loss this time! I think you’re right about me being run into the ground. Only 9 more days to go of the April Challenge and I’ll put my calories back so I can see them, have a good analysis session, and see if I want to adjust my 1450 goal up, down or leave it the same. I’ll be wiser one way or another, but have already learned that I can’t be trusted not to go overboard when ‘unsupervised’. Ha ha – Dubai it is. You can warn us about where not to eat and undo our work ;) We’ll share a condo on one of those man-made-islands just off the coast. I always know it’s a hot day in Perth when you go outside, take your first breath, and the air burns the inside of your nose ;) Oh, and I'm so pleased that you like my KL story. I truly loved the people there!

Hope everyone else is doing great! It's 11pm for me and hubby will be home from work soon.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @happylifex10 Hey I have that same flap/pooch. My c-sec were 24 & 20 yrs ago, then hysterectomy, 2 cyst removals, & ovaries removed all on same scar. I figure surgeon owes me a coupon for free tummy tuck/lipo. His son is a plastic surgeon. I just call it my imaginary friend, so I'm never lonely.
    @GrannyMayOz glad to hear you've perked up.
    @Kitnthecat nice of you to point out the pain involved. All these tv shows make plastic surgery look so commonplace and never really get into all the REAL details. It's surgery, man. Any time anaesthetic & knives are involved, think twice.
    @jumanajane thanks for the encouragement. Good job on your diary. Still struggling a bit with the cals, but that will come.
    Off to prune some fruit trees. No idea what I'm doing, but some say ignorance is bliss so I'm just gonna go for it. This will be my exercise this week. I have a lot of darn trees.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Yes, my tummy is still flat so far. But I am a little worried about losing the rest of the excess and possibly "deflating". After all, I gained weight back after the operation, so my skin must have stretched. So far so good, but who know what will happen when I lose the .....how many pounds, wish list time now....I'd like to lose 62 pounds, but would settle for 50 more....I won't know until I get there I suppose. I'm at 212 right now. We'll see. I have a feeling that excess skin won't bother me as much this time around.

I met a group of ladies ( half of us in our 50's and half in their 70's pushing 80) tonight for supper at a Chinese buffet. I had been wondering what I would eat there, but just made my best guess in choosing the plainest meats without too much sauce, and had lots of broccoli and cauliflower, and plain shrimp from the salad bar. I had nothing battered and deep fried and no rice or noodles, but who knows how much starch might have been lurking. But oh well, I did my best and I'm not fretting over it.

The nice thing was that one of the ladies whom I had not seen at the last couple of dinners, mentioned how good I looked and that she couldn't remember ever seeing my waist so small. I think I look smaller than my weight right now, just by magic I think, due to the way we eat. She asked me how I was doing it. She already knew that I cut out bread and sugar years ago and that I had lost weight over the years already, but she hadn't seen me since I went keto. She asked me outright if I believed that sugar is bad, and I told her, yes I am convinced it is bad for our health and makes us fat. I told her how I have increased my fat intake and put butter on everything, and she was intrigued. It was so cool to have someone actually interested and appeared to believe me when I told her that eating fat is good for us and leads to weight loss. She said she had heard something in the news about the dangers of sugar, so I think it is only a matter of time before some of our ideas become more mainstream. It felt good to share with someone. All my ladies in our group have to do is to watch me change my shape little by little every month we meet...and I will prove it to them.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Kitnthecat Sounds like you had a great time with good friends and made the best food choices too! Awesome for you. I am also feeling smaller than I actually am. I am able to suck in my gut and see my ribs! I haven't seen my lower ribs in years! I know it's due to LCHF too!

I don't always have advice, or comments, but I love reading this thread with everyone's posts about their daily struggles and celebrations. Is so nice to be able to "visit" with each of you daily!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    I love the visit too, and Karlottap, you look amazing in your new photo !
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,
    jumanajane wrote: »
    A couple of days ago(I think) I read a brilliant article about the effects of sugars on the body and how they produce an inflammatory response which goes when you go low carb (no knee pain for 3 weeks Thank God and I didnt realise the connection until now!) and how all those nay-sayers say we needs carbs to feed the brain but explaining why we dont etc. This morning a 'friend' sent me an article in the UK paper The Daily Mail saying we need to stop demonising carbs and just stop eating processed food and how stopping carbs can make you fat because you eat too much fat yadayadayada. Do you think I can find that article now???? NO! I have searched my search history several times and just cant find it!! Argghhh. Lolol. Never mind, deaf ears and all that!
    Doncha just hate "friends" like that?? Here is that crappy "Daily Lie" article (wonder which grain org their nutrition expert works for): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3047764/It-s-time-start-eating-carbs-ve-demonised-diet-gurus-doctors-say-cutting-carbohydrates-ruin-health-make-weight.html
    The Low Carb Conversations podcast just dissected it for all its bad advice... :smiley:
    I get reminded about joint pain every time I eat sugars/gluten again. You think I will ever learn?? I am on day 3 of low carb flu again, combined with hay fever, after a windy weekend in which friends and I ate pizza at an outdoor cafe. Pollen plus gluten have wiped me out. Just ate some peanut butter...
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    It was so cool to have someone actually interested and appeared to believe me when I told her that eating fat is good for us and leads to weight loss.
    Just have to add that I finally started doing LCHF that way -- a good friend lost about 18 kg about 2-3 years ago, and I was amazed and had to ask. She said "Atkins," and so I got the book and started from there. Happy I asked, as stupid me, I watched two co-workers do Atkins 10 years ago, but back then could not fathom a "no beer" diet... Now I know it is easy to live without beer, esp. since I get to eat butter and bacon. And even stupider me, I did South Beach (which is low glycemic and low fat) about 10 years ago, lost about 6 kg, then slowly gained it all back. It is the high fat that is key to success, I think. I am on this WOE for life now.

• jumanajane
    Options
    @camtosh...thanks for the link. It was actually the really good article about sugar being so destructive for the body I cant find!!! Rats!!! Glad to hear its been rubbished by the Low Carb group. In an unusual defence of the 'Daily Lie' they have actually posted a few articles saying that saturated fats are NOT bad for the heart and sugar IS recently so I think we still have the balance :) Its just typical that this friend who so disapproves of this WOR should see it and send it,lolol.

@kitnthecat so glad you had a nice time and are such a good ambassador for us!

I am asking for suggestions today. I have got up and feel totally energyless. My pulse is 95(I have felt it racing several times the last few days) and my BP only 106/67 which is low PLUS I am incredibly thirsty! I was thirsty last night too! I always drink 3 liters+ and even after 3 large drinks this morning still felt thirsty. Have I gone too low carb or cal? Just feel like splodging on the sofa. Brain is clear though..just my body!
    Anyone got any idea why???
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Sorry that should read WOE
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @jumanajane Are you feeling better? I have no idea bout your pulse/blood pressure/thirst. I know that unusual thirst is indicative of diabetes, so maybe it has something to do with your blood sugar? If it doesn't dissipate soon, I'd give the doctor a call. Please rest and feel better---let us know how you're doing. Hugs <3
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @Kate – thank you. Feeling quite a bit more myself today, but very, very happy, which is the main thing. The physical wellness will follow now.

@Kitn that’s fantastic that you were able to choose so well at the Chinese meal, and that you could share this WOE with someone genuinely interested. Let’s hope sugar gets demonised really thoroughly and really soon in the general media!

@Karlottap (oh look, 3 Ks in a row!) It’s lovely to see you here again *hug* And yes, I feel and look smaller than the scales reckon too, it’s weird but wonderful isn’t it? You look tiny in your photo.

@Camtosh I hope you’ve had a day free from sugar and gluten today. Sorry about the LC flu though, that’s a double whammy you don’t need.

@Jane How are you feeling today? I’ve been thinking of you and hoping that things are turning around. I felt that I had a rotten time of adapting to LC. Nothing concrete in particular until I tried to exercise and then *bam!!!* There was an incident before you were on this scene where I set out for a 7km walk on a truly hot day. My fingers were swollen, my breathing was more like panting and my heart rate was through the roof. I had to bail half way and ring my son to collect me. Now I’ve seen my wonderful Mauricio I know that I was already having my difficulties back then. After that was a hospital trip with ‘heart palpitations’ and a whole week of feeling completely wiped out, and then the last incident on Monday just gone. So was this my version of keto flu? Or would I have had this anyway? I’ll never know – I’m just glad I’m out the other side. Mauricio actually said that I am *really healthy* except for this one thing, so that was not only encouraging, but I presume a testament to low carb as well. I truly hope you find your answer very soon!!! Is it possible you have a ‘keto’ taste in your mouth that you’re mistaking for thirst? Just thought of it as I was typing. But if you don’t have answers to all your questions yet, I’d suggest posting a new thread on the main LCD pages to get more of an audience who may be able to help you.

@Ellen hi Sweetie

I’m feeling brighter today. Was awake some in the night with the fluttery feeling in my chest, but rested easy with it knowing what it was at last. I feel more motivated to do things instead of just sit here at the computer, though I’ve just been out pruning and light sweeping in the garden and my body told me loud and clear when it had had enough. I listened. Unlike yesterday where Mauricio told me to rest for 5 days. I couldn’t help walking up that 4-storey-heigh hill, just because it was there, and then racing my grand-daughters to that tree down there, and then back up again. But I promise I’ll behave now until Monday. He also said no dairy for 5 days. I’m missing my butter, but not the cream or cheese thankfully!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @GrannyMayOz thank you for the "tiny" compliment. I have spent my life losing and gaining it back. This is the first time I've lost weight that I can actually see it. So many times I've lost, but look in the mirror and still see the same person I was. This time is different since I can see it and much more so, feel it! Still about forty pounds from where I want to be, but I know I will be there with this woe. I am so glad you are feeling better and able to spend so much quality time with your grandchildren. Will, also, be glad for you when those flutters are gone for good!