so there was this guy in the gym . . .

Options

Replies

• Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    damn, god that I am thinking about joining a gym again. Way more fun than training at home alone :-D

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yeah - the image is there. I can only hope it won't stay. What a creep. I would have liked to come at him with something really heavy in my hand particularly if he came up behind me. I can be a bear but that's just me. It's always different in person though!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Neonbeige wrote: »
    damn, god that I am thinking about joining a gym again. Way more fun than training at home alone :-D

hah. i sent it to this friend of mine who's doing exactly that - training at home - and her response was 'if you think this will encourage me to join a gym, you're so wrong.'

• canadianlbs
    Options
    Biceps Forever

kssnnrrk. *CHORTLE*

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    :smiley:

No one was funny at the gym last night. I didn't do accessories, though, so my time there was short. I went home to do one of the fitness tests for the challenge group in here. I used a spare bedroom that only has a bed, a Persian prayer rug, and creepy child-size rocking chair in it so that I'd have carpeted floor space.

I was trying to do a move called Hollow Rocks--which I kept mistakenly referring to as High Rollers or Hard Knocks--where you basically turn yourself into the shape of a canoe and rock back and forth from head to toe. My experience was a little more... animated. My cat attacked my hair then decided to lay down where my feet were thrashing. So a strike for working out at home: animals.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Neonbeige wrote: »

hah. i sent it to this friend of mine who's doing exactly that - training at home - and her response was 'if you think this will encourage me to join a gym, you're so wrong.'

LOL, what can I say, it´s boring at home and not really challenging. My biceps is way less interesting :-D

The thing that I like more about training at home is the time saving I have. On the other hand I already work from home - I really need to get out more - even if there are creeps...
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I saw the guy using the power cage to stretch again... I'm gonna say I really don't think he does squats in it unless it's just one or two quick sets. He was stretching last night when I did deadlifts. Then I went over to other area but only for 3 little sets of bicep curls. By the time I was done, he wasn't there anymore. So, he either does all that for really fast, not many rep squats/lifts, or (the one I'm guessing) he just uses it to stretch.

Still don't know what the other, quiet guy does. I felt a little bad cause I was kind of in his way last night for half a set. I have to do this romanian deadlift / bent over row combination and use the fixed barbells, which are near the dumbbell area. But I don't want to block the areas between benches or anything, so try to find a spot out of the way. He needed to use one thing that does arms close to some curl spots that I dunno the exact use for the specific one but I was near it. He quietly waited for me to finish my couple of reps and get out of his way. Awkward though cause I don't like people behind me when I'm doing anything that requires bending over. Plus the rack for the weights was in front of the arm thing so then I had to clumsily clean the 70 bar to put it away with someone not that far away from me. I should work on cleans cause in the grit strength it's just with 30 lbs and I might want to be able to do more some day.

Show off boys also did deadlifts last night but they were all packed around the mat cause I was already there using the squat rack for my warm up squats. They sure do laugh a lot.

I tried wearing the tighter shirt again for lifting. I like not having the baggy t-shirt material on my shoulders but still struggle with being self-conscious with my stomach pudge and all the people around even at 11 pm. Despite knowing that no one really notices, it's hard to turn off that little voice that needs to pull down the shirt to make sure nothing shows and such, or says use the plate cause cleavage on back extension thing. Working on it and maybe I can get some new workout clothes this summer. And how "this guy" ended up about me, eh, I dunno. I think it's time for pizza.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @dawnembers I hate the feeling of someone watching you even if they're trying not to.

That guy that told me how to bench when I was doing rows bothered me again but it escalated this time. First I was squatting and he came over to the other rack, smiled at me and did push presses and push ups and some other rapid exercise.

Then I went over to the mat area to do OHP. I usually like to do these in the rack but I wanted solitude. Well that didn't happen. He came over near me and did pull ups and push ups and something with a ball. He then got a bar and started doing jumping jacks with a loaded barbell. Then did an Olympic lift circuit. It was so distracting.

I was about to do my last set when he came over and told me I should bend my knees to push the bar up. I said that I'm not doing a push press and he said, "Oh well it's easier that way," and I said, "Exactly." He then told me about running and started going on about that again. I said cool and put my headphones back in.

I then did deadlifts and I kept seeing him try to catch my attention but I ignored. Crushed my dreads and went into the dumbbell area where my husband was to tell him about this. Not but a minute later the guy comes in and starts doing dumbbell exercises right near me.

I left immediately to the mat area and finished up my workout and left. That was not cool. I work out to be alone and feel good, not get harassed by some crazy person. If it happens again, I'll tell him straight up to leave me alone and tell the front desk of it still goes on.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was about to do my last set when he came over and told me I should bend my knees to push the bar up. I said that I'm not doing a push press and he said, "Oh well it's easier that way," and I said, "Exactly." He then told me about running and started going on about that again. I said cool and put my headphones back in.

I LOVE YOU. :smiley:

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I think he also said something about doing cross fit before doing isolation work like what I'm doing. I don't know, I don't listen to fools.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Since when are rows, OHP, and deads "isolation work"? Oh geez.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Not at the gym but at the park walking along the path that went through the trees by the river there were 2 guys and one girl. She was carrying a volleyball. One guy had a guitar and the other guy had a bongo like drum.

Why? I have no idea.

I also saw two little snakes while I was jogging. Almost stumbled in order to not step on one cause it was going across the path. Yep, interesting jog earlier today.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    there was a youngish super-fit workout dude in the gym today, not the powerlifter type but more of the bodyweight/snowboardery look. thing is, i havent' disliked anyone quite so much for some time. he'd brought in a brand new, really young 'friend' and was setting him to work on the lat pulldown thing.

sets him up at a weight WAY WAY too heavy for him without a word about form or anything else. and then after the kid's struggled through a set, he puts in two or three minutes' just re-enacting the kid's body english with exaggerations and mocking him for it . . . and then he caught me giving him the stinking hostile hairy eyeball from twelve feet away and he quit.

i was thinking something like, why you meanspirited no-class little schmuck. if you were my kid i'd keep you in a box for the next twenty years, and poke food through the airholes at you.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Not at the gym but at the park walking along the path that went through the trees by the river there were 2 guys and one girl. She was carrying a volleyball. One guy had a guitar and the other guy had a bongo like drum.

Why? I have no idea.

I also saw two little snakes while I was jogging. Almost stumbled in order to not step on one cause it was going across the path. Yep, interesting jog earlier today.

Maybe they were practicing being hippies? The volleyball should have been a Frisbee, though. I'm happy to hear you moved out of the way for the snakes. Got to protect even our slithery friends.

I spotted a guy "spotting" his friend on the bench press by holding and lifting the bar for him throughout the movement. Why do bros do this????
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »

Why? I have no idea.

Maybe they were practicing being hippies? The volleyball should have been a Frisbee, though. I'm happy to hear you moved out of the way for the snakes. Got to protect even our slithery friends.

I spotted a guy "spotting" his friend on the bench press by holding and lifting the bar for him throughout the movement. Why do bros do this????

Because dude, I bench press sooo much!!!! I figure it is also why so many people quarter squat....
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    the squat king and his little matchstick friend/sister/girlfriend/sister of buddy/something were in tonight. musta been chest day; he was coaching her on dumbbell presses this time.

when i was unlocking my bike they went past me together, and they were holding hands. so that answers that question then. even more impressed with him, under those circumstances. given how i've never seen him get handsy or gropey with her while they work out.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I got stuck at work last night so I ended up during the gym during peak hours. Most people were just doing their thing, but one larger woman came in and kept giving me these dart eyes because I was in the squat rack and she wanted the entire mirror to herself. (I was there first too.) Now I get that you want to use the mirror but I'm in the rack doing my thing and you can trust me that you aren't going to hurt yourself throwing around that 1 lb barbie weight. I'm not even really sure what she was doing. She had started just sort of flailing her arms around and then added the 1 lb weights. It was very odd.

Another woman brought her 8ish year old son and highschool aged daughter with her. The kid surprisingly was very well behaved but I just felt bad for the whole group. The mother was trying so hard to get in a workout and the kids were bored out of their minds.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Anniel88 wrote: »

Another woman brought her 8ish year old son and highschool aged daughter with her. The kid surprisingly was very well behaved but I just felt bad for the whole group. The mother was trying so hard to get in a workout and the kids were bored out of their minds.

I've been that woman before! I used to bring my 8 yr old son with me sometimes. He loved to come because he got to watch Nickelodeon cartoons which we don't catch at home. That and he look at me with stars in his eyes as I worked out. Sweet memories at the gym for me!
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I've been that woman before! I used to bring my 8 yr old son with me sometimes. He loved to come because he got to watch Nickelodeon cartoons which we don't catch at home. That and he look at me with stars in his eyes as I worked out. Sweet memories at the gym for me!

It certainly makes you wish there were more gyms that offered daycare! A woman shouldn't feel like she needs to choose between her family and her health.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Ah, that was the beauty of it for me actually. There was no "daycare", I didn't need to choose between him and working out. It was a positive experience for both of us. He enjoyed coming and was inspired by his mom working out and others there too. It was an occasional treat for him!