so there was this guy in the gym . . .

Options

Replies

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It is great that it was such a positive experience for both of you! :)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Gym stalker was there on Tuesday throwing the plates around and loving the cable machine. I was on the elliptical with two friends and it turns out, he also stalks one of those friends. He jabbered to her about random things and stood between them when they were benching and wouldn't leave. I forgot to ask if he told them not to arch or about his mile time or about his injuries or about his net worth...
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I saw another lifter watch me squat then approach me. I thought, Oh no, here comes unsolicited advice when he surprised me and said that my form was great and it was nice to see people doing real squats :love: He asked me if I was training for anything in particular and I said that I'm following strong lifts because I want to get stronger, nothing else currently. He said, Oh ok you're like me then, you just love the iron. True that! So refreshing.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    He said, Oh ok you're like me then, you just love the iron. True that! So refreshing.

that's nice. i really like it when i get to interact with normal, sane, friendly human-type people at the gym. i had one like that myself yesterday. this youngish latino dude was deadlifting in the open space on the floor that's a respectful distance back from the rack. and i happened to get this big bee up my bum and enter into a life-and-death fight to prove that i can by-golly make those horrible metal spring-clip things work on the bar i was using for squats. not the user-friendly collars but those butterfly clips. because grip strength. because i lift weights. because badassery, right?

well, it turned out i can open them all the way out - which means closing the two 'handle' parts right up next to each other. with my left hand too, nog. but could i get the thing onto the bar? i could not. even crushed open to that extent they're such a tight fit and need such a subtle angle to get htem to move, that i was standing there for four or five minutes at a stretch, cursing and muttering, and then taking a rest and then cursing some more. mr deadlifts was on his way to or from with some plates and suddenly noticed, and he deviated right out of his path to come and show me the easy-snap collars that were hanging right there on the pegs. why i liked this: it took us a few tries to get through the language wall, but as soon as he realised what i was saying it was like a lightbulb went on for him. not 'oh, huh. you sure? well, okayyyyyyy.' but 'ohhh, i see! now i get it.' and he left me to it. i loved that lightbulb moment. and then when i got it i turned round and gave him the big victory thumb and he seemed to like that.

i'm so lame. what with captain scudge and little ms barbie at work and the banana woman not even working on fridays, the highlights of my social week are a moment like that with some kid in a gym. not that it wasn't worth the pleasure it gave me, but sheesh.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    It is nice interacting with normal people. Unfortunately it's rare. Got advice at the hotel gym while doing bent over rows with dumbbells. I was told I needed to brace myself on a bench or else I'd hurt my back. I said no. He said his trainer said so and I said I'm good I'm trying to strengthen my back. Do men get talked to like this? I don't need random strangers trying to "protect" me.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    saw a young woman today with beautiful legs . . . i was looking because she had a tattoo circling one thigh that said 'i don't need to be saved'. some kind of picture on the other quad, but i liked the words.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a girl I've seen at my gym a couple of times, who has a tattoo of a squirrel with a nut on the back of one of her calves. :open_mouth: I mean... why???
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Some of the show off crew were doing squats today when I got there. It must have been max day for them cause they used a whole lot of 45 plates. However, this time I'm a bit impressed. No shirt were taken off for any reason. The one did squat with 5 45 plates on each side and two 25 plates. And... they put away their weights when finished. Nicely done, I must say.

Though they also spotted each other and for the one's really heavy lifts, if they get much closer together, I may need to take notes for m/m erotica. lol

I still don't know what that one other guy does. Let's play "guess that routine?" It appears to be some type of split that is heavy on the upper body because while I've seen him do squats and deadlift that is not a common occurrence. I always see him using dumbbells for different arm/chest/shoulder type lifts, the cable machines and on occasion bench press or once the seated overhead press. So, what kind of split is he doing? hmmm...
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I've also noticed a couple of youngish guys working out with their own trainers late at night, not gym staff. The one looks almost like end of high school age, one of the guys lifting. And the other not much older if anything. The trainers are very different.

The one night was mostly involved, watching over the young guy and directing which thing he should do next. He'd spot him on occasion, look around a little (don't blame him cause probably don't need to stare when someone does pushups the whole time), and the amusing one where he'd focus on his own reflection on occasion. Saw him check his stomach a couple of times though he kept it pretty subtle.

Other trainer is a bigger guy and sits when the one is lifting but is vigilant of him from the slight distance the whole time.

I also had a slight oops with a female lifter. The program has me doing deadlift from a box so I have to go all the way to the classroom to get a step to use. After squat warm ups, I set my stuff down at the deadlift spot when no one is using it then go get the step. This time I got back and someone was starting to take weights off the bar (I hadn't touched the bar yet so someone else had left them. I was stalled at first then she saw me and I thought either I'd have to see how long she would be or something, but she let me have it. Then started helping me with the weights. Very nice, so I felt bad for taking it even though I'd "set up camp" and all.

The one guy did squats today and no half attempts at that. I really need to ignore him cause it's a little creepy at this point but he's always there.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to post mine.

It was Thursday, which was squat-bench-row day. My gym is women only, so the weight room is a little bare-bones. One power rack and a smiths, no bench stations, and then some loose benches, dumbells, cable machines, preloaded bars, etc. Anyways, just to paint the picture, this is not a big gym with plenty of equipment. There is literally only one olympic bar.

So, I was in the cage just starting my rows, and a girl comes over and stands kind of between the smiths and the cage with her water bottle, looking like she is getting ready. She looked as though she might want the cage, so I finished up as quickly as I could. After I left to my accessories, she went towards the cage. She pulled the bench back over, so I assumed she was going to bench. She then proceeds to gather "her" equipment. 2 sets of dumbbells, a preloaded bar, a mat, and she loads up the leg press with her weight. She piles stuff on the bench in the cage. I watch her while I am doing accessories. It is now 9:30 or so and the gym closes at 10. She rotates through her stuff, dumbbells, loaded barbell, leg press, crunches, other dumbbells. Not once does she actually use the cage or olympic bar. She just used it to store her stash! Someone comes over to use the leg press while she is in the rack doing crunches or some such, and she shoos them away because she is "using it" (keep in mind she is using it every 6th exercise or so). It is now 10 minutes to close. I was starting to fume. I considered going over and telling her that taking up the only rack and barbell as her own personal storage closet was uncool, but no one seemed to be waiting for it, so I didn't know how it would be received.

She took up at least 6 pieces of equipment for half an hour and was still there at 9:55 when I left. Some people need to remember that commercial gyms are not home gyms. People need to learn to share!

• canadianlbs
    edited May 2015
    Options
    crazy crossfit girl was there yesterday, and after another couple of hours of hearing her penetrating voice no matter where i was at in that huge barn-like gym, i've concluded that it's probably more than just a mockable personality. i don't think she's all the way there.

she has a seriously different look, like her eyes can't focus. and no social boundaries at all. she's like one of those talky three-year-old kids who rove the planet looking for people to show their new tricycle/teddybear/underwear to.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I actually have a story to tell.

So, there's this guy at the gym that I call "Curly". He's short and wide, very built up torso, no hair and curls in the squat rack. Only uses the rack for curls.
    Today I'm there, warming up to working weight on squats and he asks me how long I'll be. I said I wasn't sure because I never paid attention to how long it takes me, but guessing 20 minutes. I asked him if he'd like to work in and if he was doing squats, too (haha, knew he wasn't). No. Bicep curls and he proceeds to lecture me on "monopolizing equipment" then walks off. I got a little jab in about not needing the squat rack for bicep curls before he flounced. Fine, a*****e. He came over a few minutes later and asked to work in since I was using close to the same weight. Sure, I offered that earlier. Him, "Oh, I misunderstood."

He does two sets. First one 5 reps and second one 3 reps. Told me he was done and moving on to lighter weights when I started to change the safety bars for him after my set. THEN moved a bench into the smith machine, moved another bench over to the cable machine and worked between those two for the next 40 minutes...or more. I left and he was still working between them.

He DID apologize for his manner when I was on my last exercise. He said that he could see that I was serious and that made it ok. I might have smirked at that a bit.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My gym stalker didn't bother me yesterday. He came over to the kettlebell area and I gave him the dead-eyed B face then turned around and walked away. I think he got the message.

I also saw a woman bend over to do triceps extensions and I could literally see right through her pants to her bum tattoo. It was like a tribal symbol or a dragon or something like that. I wanted to snap a pic but I didn't want to get kicked out of my gym for taking pictures of ladies' rears.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    So, there's this guy at the gym that I call "Curly".

for realz? i'm doing that don't-whether-to-go-gah-or-hah thing inside. he makes a great story anyway :D:D

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had a first today. I was standing off to the side of the squat rack between my sets so the people in the stretching area could see the mirror and some guy comes over and starts taking the weights off my bar. I had to awkwardly tell him I was still using them. He replied that he thought they were on the pins, which are way below the bar. Ooops!
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So I started at a new gym about a month ago, and the newer equipment has been seriously nice. Boring, though. Other than the he-man who grunts with *every* repetition (really- aren't you gonna get a hernia from all that???), it was dull. Then there was last Wednesday: tall younger man (late 20's, early 30's) with slender build, headphones in, jumps into the rack when I'm done. He pulls in a platform and starts jumping up and down off it. In the rack. Some kinda cross fit thing, I dunno. Looks like he'll have no knee cartilage in another couple years doing that. Then he's waving around some light dumbells doing curls. Then came the fun part- he began doing lunges around the gym floor, inadvertantly nodding his head with each one. Imagine a giant scrawny chicken pecking around the barnyard...... I almost choked on my water, it was so hilarious. I hope he comes in every Wednesday! :)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    CHFay wrote: »
    I almost choked on my water, it was so hilarious. I hope he comes in every Wednesday! :)
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm imagining the he-man and the chicken syncing their noises / head nods perfectly. I want this to happen.
  • canadianlbs
    edited June 2015
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    I'm imagining the he-man and the chicken syncing their noises / head nods perfectly. I want this to happen.

what is it with chickens? way back in the day i saw a kids in the hall (i think) skit involving (i think) a guy who believed he was one. it was far too well done to be comfortable.

well, guess what. little ophan annie the empty-eyed crossfit lady was back, and guess what she reminds me of most. it's disturbing. she's got the strut, the beak nose, the totally round totally unblinking eyes like a bird that you can see in all their circularity even when she's got her profile to you. and because her build really is so spectacular and she kind of has to step around the bulk of her own quads, she really does sort of lead with her knees and peck her head forward a little without involving anything south of her neck when she's looking around. and her mouth hangs open. i just can't endure this thing about her.

anyway. little actual interchange with crossfit lady that happened today. i was in between sets of my overhead press.

her: are you squatting?
    me: no.
    her: oh, you're just standing here then.
    me: no. i'm resting.
    her: so you are squatting?
    me: no. i'm between sets.
    her: oh . . . are you using the rack?
    me: i am using the rack.

i do not like her at all. i didn't make that easy for her but i saw no furking reason at all why i should. i told her i'd tell her when i was done, to get rid of her. and when i was done and i did tell her, she came over, touched the bar for half a nanosecond and then followed me, beaking away the whole time about how she hadn't meant to 'insult' me by implying i had no right to the rack just because i was 'just squatting the bar', in fact i have 'just as much right' to it as anyone else who lifts heavier weights. i just kept walking pretending that i had earbuds in, and she still trailed me all the way to the water fountain, still yapping. and then i made a backhanded Gesture at her and she went away.

she's quite a piece of work.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Saturday night was a night for pairs it seemed, as I saw several and mostly two guys lifting together. I miss my headphones but my ears have been achy so I decided to take a break from the pesky earbuds. That meant getting stuck catching random bits of conversations, though still no one bothered me aside from a "how many sets do you have left" question when I was using the squat rack.

First duo were fine. Young guy with older, bigger trainer who close spotted him on squats. He did pretty good with the lift and no chatter.

Over by the dumbbells it was old guy duo. One talking about how one dumbbell is better and how barbell leads to more shoulder injuries and such. That combined with random commercial conversation as there is a tv on the wall near there where one of them mentioned the commercials as masculinizing women while stupidizing the men (showing them as stupid and the woman as doing all the work). I just tried to ignore them as I did my goblet squats and lat pull down.

There was also a young guy set who were helping each other and appeared to be focused on abs with the one giving the other instructions. They were okay too but I have no idea what they said cause it wasn't in English.

Final guy duo was competitors. One was working on the squat/leg machine near the leg press. He was doing heavy weights and during rest talked to the other guy while at times admiring his own quads in the mirror. The other guy talked the most, about his moods as he is nearing competition time, waist size and such. The one lifting was also a grunter, which is fine except gets awkward as that machine thing is right behind the squat rack where I had to bend over during my good morning sets.

Maybe will see more interesting ones on Tuesday cause Saturday night is quieter.