Workout check-in - May-king big changes this month

Options

Replies

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Squats 90: 5x5
    Felt good! Just might make my goal to 100# by end of month! My son took pictures of me during the squat and I was so pleased that my form looked good from what I can tell!
    OHP 45: 5x5
    Did ok but not perfect so probably will stay here next time - working on getting my grip right per Rippetoe video
    Deadlift 95: 5x2
    Felt too easy so just did another set.
    Planning on increasing my jog to 15 minutes interval tomorrow! Hurray for progress! Am enjoying working out with my 14 yr old son. He's trying to keep up with me.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    But I'm sure he'll be passing me up in no time!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was just work and oh was it boring. Had customers but lots of slow times, which makes being stuck cashiering even worse. And I get to do it again in a couple of hours.

Cardio Day

I jogged 30 minutes at the park. Lot of people there cause of the holiday and all with some setting up a big bbq event thing near the baseball field. It went okay but my legs were a little tired still. Minutes 10-25 were the hardest then by 30 I felt like I could keep going.

Not sure how my schedule will go the rest of the week. I would like to keep to how I've been doing but my mom gets here tomorrow morning to help me move. Means I'm sleeping on the couch until June 1. I still have work every day except Thursday and Friday so I might be able to gym tomorrow cause mom will be in bed after 10:30 anyways. But the long jog Friday on the day we rent truck and move big stuff may not happen. Will have to wait and see.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My lovely lovely stronglift ladies - oh how I have missed you all!!

Week in Fiji was amazing, then came back to a week of illness (booooo!) and have finally picked up some iron again - feeling sore, but great

I honestly cannot describe the issues I had mentally with not lifting. I realize that lifting is my empowerment, my release, it not only makes me feel badass, but makes me feel good about myself...

I missed you all!!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    squat: 85.
    bench: 70, but there were two sets that were at 75, so it's coming along.
    rows: 80.

check the rows! i think that might be a pr. i was in the Other gym where there are no baby plates, and it was way too crowded to start stacking stuff. so i went with 25's on the shorter bar just because i was damned if i was going to try rowing from the extra deficit that a bunch of 10s would have given me. the sets/reps were HARD, but i swear i didn't start wavering and losing any real form until the very last set. i really wanted to do strong rows and give my lats/back something to recover from too, because i worked pretty hard on the bench, and rows are the best way i've found of overcoming the effects of doing that.

also did 5x5 of really wide goblet/sumo squats with a 20lb dumbbell as accessory, because alan thrall.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    I miss being sore sometimes because that was the only time I knew I was working hard.

me too . . . except with bench. i ALWAYS get doms from doing bench press, although to be fair every extra 5lbs is a lot of extra weight, proportionately.

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have been a major slacker on 5x5 recently! Only my 3rd workout this month. :-\

Workout B
    Squats, 5x5@95 lbs. Another deload due to my slacking, plus I don't want to tire my legs out too much since I have a half marathon on Sunday.

OHP, 5x5@45 lbs. Felt pretty easy. 50 lbs planned for next time.

Deadlift, 2x5@90 lbs. Also felt pretty easy but am only planning to do 5 lb increases for a while.

Finished up with 45 minutes on the elliptical.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in since sometime last week - busy little bee! Saturday I did my lifts and the rest of the weekend just whatever. I did some fast, hard cleaning on Saturday morning and my HRM said I burned 1000 calories! I did claim 700 of them...I was working hard!
    Today:
    Lifts
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Dead: 5x5x105
    Felt pretty good today :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Thanks everyone :smile:

Yesterday, did another brick workout for my tri training. It was the first time I rode my road bike then ran after. I did a 12.4 mile bike ride followed by a 3.1 mile run. It was stupid difficult. I thought it would be ok since I've gotten pretty good at doing the same at the gym, but this was a totally different beast. I just couldn't get my legs to work for me. I got it done anyways.

When's your tri? Are you doing a sprint? Good job on your training!

@indianarose2: my tri is July 26th. It is just a sprint. Thanks!

Check-in from yesterday: did a 12.75 mile ruck for Memorial Day. We started at 0100 and finished at 0900. I'm tired today, even though I got in 2 naps and went to bed early yesterday.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Short week for me since I'll be traveling so I'll get my reps in for the day, and on Saturday (will miss a workout). Pooh! Just when I was getting back on track again.

Today's workout consisted of:

Squats: 5x5@115 lbs. Since I forgot my phone, I had to rely on memory and apparently I stayed on the same weight, but definitely felt it today.

Bench Press: 5x5@80lbs. Stayed on the same weights. It was quite hard.

Barbell row: 5x5@ 85lbs. Felt fine so will try to move up the weights next time.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OHP 5 day
    50 lbs x 5, 60 lbs x 5, 70 lbs x 6
    Then 45lbs 5x8 ohp supersetted with assisted pullups.
    Run at lunch for 5.47k. It was good for my deadlifting doms to get some blood flow going. I have been feeling the extra volume.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It looks like I won't be able to get to a barbell until Sunday at the earliest which will mean two weeks off :-/ Have been running and kayaking since it's been gorgeous out and using hotel dumb bells whenever I can. Expecting a de-load when I return in a few days but hopefully nothing too terrible. Just wanted to check in and say I miss you ladies!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Squats - 3x5 at 145# - :D Yay, first time getting them all at this weight.
    Bench - 3x5 at 75# - did them, but barely. Definitely repeat.
    Row - 3x5 at 75# - fine.

Shrug - 3x8 at 50#
    Skullcrusher - 3x8 at 40# - gave this one another shot, and it is definitely too heavy. Back to 35 next time.
    Curls - 3x8 at 35# - good. Not nearly as hard as when I started :)
    Hyperextensions - 3x10 with 15#. good. Might go up to 20.
    Cable curls - 3x12 at 40#. 3x10 at 40 was too litte, but 50 lbs practically pulled me off the floor, so I am going up in reps.

Pull up attempt - Got up to my nose :) Closest yet.
    negative pull ups x7
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts B

Squat 5 x 5 @150 lbs.

Overhead press 5 x 5 @ 45 lbs. Really demoralizing to be back at 45 but I missed a workout this weekend due to travel and just didn't have it.

Sumo Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 135 lbs. Staying at 135 lbs. to work on form.

Twenty minutes of jogging on the treadmill.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow! Look at those numbers! Y'all are kicking some serious *kitten*. I'm impressed -- and yes, a little envious! :smiley:

And HIIIII @Psych and @Colts -- glad to see you!

So, today was my first day back (again) after lifting a grand total of five times since February (wince!). Yes, one of those times was last week, but that doesn't seem to really count as an official re-start in my brain. But school and other projects are finished so I'm getting serious again. And as I said in a status post on my wall, I somehow forget that going to the gym begets going to the gym. I love it when I'm there, so I just need to keep at it and it will become second nature again.

I'm still working back up from my deload -- the app wanted me to bench / row with just the bar if that tells you anything about how long it's been! hahaha -- but everything felt really good today, so I'm pleased!

5x5 / Workout A

Squats: 1x10 @ 45, 1x5 @ 75, 6x5 @ 80 lbs.
    - 75 felt a little too easy, so I went up to 80, which was perfect. Form was off in my fourth set, so I did an extra one just for good measure.
    - Felt like I was getting nice and low on these, and engaging my core the whole time, so I'm really pleased.

Bench: 1x10 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 5x5 @ 65 lbs.
    - Same things here. 55 felt a bit too light, so I did working sets at 65 lbs. Not sure if I'll go up to 67.5 or 70 lbs. next time.

Rows: 5x5 @ 65 lbs.
    - I really wish there was an easy way to record these. I'd really like to know if I'm keeping my back parallel to the ground. I *think* I am, but who knows?

Accessories:

Skullcrushers / Bicep Curls (supersets)
    - Skullcrushers 3x12 @ 17.5 lbs. -- Should have gone up to 20 lbs. but I forgot. Next time!
    - Bicep Curls 1x12 @ 12.5, 1x10 @ 12. 5 (oof!), 1x12 @ 10 (oof!) - Damn these are way harder than I'd like. I can't imagine doing 35 lbs like @Mirrim !

Incline Bench Press: 5x5 @ 45 lbs.
    - First time doing these. I watched a quick video to get some idea about form, but was still a little shaky at first. The path of the bar wasn't exactly straight. :) But I think I got the hang of it, and liked adding these in.

Good Mornings: 3x10 @ 45 lbs.
    - Was very careful to keep my neck in a neutral position and to hold the bar tight to keep it from slipping up -- at least, as much as I could. Really hoping my neck doesn't bother me tonight / tomorrow, like it did last week.

Stretching

Keep up the awesome work!

xoxo,
    C.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Just wanted to check in and say I miss you ladies!

i was wondering where you were :)

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Oh what a day. Up early for 8 am traffic to airport to get my mom, who is here to help me with the move. I hadn't seen her since the end of August so it was great cause I've lost over 50 lbs since then. Plus, well it's my mom and she's pretty great. Then I got phone call from work. Le sigh. Morning cashier called in sick and closer wouldn't be in until 5 so I ended up working earlier than scheduled today and had to cashier the first few hours before taking over the chaos that was photo since our machine got fixed. I never did get caught up on orders between the ones the internet let go through even when machine was broken and the new ones we kept getting, it just wasn't possible. Plus... my uterus decided today was a good day to hate me. So that, some back aching that comes with that and stomach got upset too during work. All while super busy. It was rough. But by gym time, which was late cause I didn't get out of work till about 20 minutes later than normal, things got better. Though it was late so I skipped a couple of things and ended up doing 2 sets instead of 3 on a couple too.

NROLFW Stage 4 - A4

warmup high bar squats 3x5 @ 120 - heavy but manageable

front squat 3x8 @ 65 - okay but awkward to hold with the crossed arm approach
    push press 1x8 then 2x5 @ 65 - tad heavy for me

db step-up 3x8 @ 27.5 - okay
    db one point row 3x8 @ 27.5 - tad heavy here too

static lunge rear foot elevated 2x8 @ 60 - heavier but not bad
    push up 2x6 using db

row 3x8 @ 60 - figured while I hd the 60 bar, might as well and it was easier than the 70 last time

hung from assisted chin up machine a little for shoulders then called it a night

Now I get to try and sleep on the couch to get enough rest for tomorrow's 33 minute jog, packing and work. Hopefully I don't get called in but I wouldn't be surprised if I do. We'll see.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    SMurph/Mini Murph done! (Bodyweight only)

1 mile run (8:40 at 1400m),
    50 recline rows (more of an hybrid with pull-ups. Bar was too high, so I locked in with my legs on the ground in front of the bar and pulled up instead),
    100 push-ups,
    150 squats
    (done in 10x 5rr/5pu/15sq/5pu rounds)
    (done at 22:40 so about 13 mins),
    1 mile run (from 24:00 to end - 33:25 (9:25)).

All I could think of during the last 1400m was "Just keep on running!" (the track nearby is 350m. Don't know whose idea that was. But there was a stretch of ~200m on an incline from the track to the spot I did the recline row/pull-up hybrid at - that distance is where the time gaps came from)

Considering I accidentally overslept and was NOT warmed up whatsoever on this, I didn't do *too* bad. I think I'll do it again around Nov 11th (Memorial Day up here in Canada) and shoot for sub 30 mins then.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say that come June, I'll be a regular in this thread again. :) I've gotten my strength up to where I want it (Smolov Jr cycles are brutal) so now it's time to really concentrate on shredding some of this fat, actually sticking to my calories and macros, and slowing down on my lifting PR's. I test my maxes on June 1st, aiming for 230 squat, 150 bench and 250 DL, so I'm resting this week and only doing walks with the dog and yoga (I'm a born-again yoga fan - those stretches feel AWESOME). Miss you guys and see you (on the regular) soon!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    @crabada - mine are barbell curls, so half that for dumbbells :) No way in hell I could curl 35 lbs dumbbells!!!