Workout check-in - May-king big changes this month

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @xcalygrl - Thanks. I'll need to do that.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I had a lazy morning of relaxing as I get 2 days off from work but then it's 6 day work weeks for a couple of weeks. So, I rested all morning and didn't jog until afternoon. Still got it done and now I can work on things around the house since the end of the month will be here soon and I haven't packed anything.

Cardio Day

Jogged 28 minutes for C25k Week 7 Day 2 and some walking as well. One more 28 minute jog to go, then it's 30 minute jogs next week. It's tough during as I want to walk at times but I push through and am always glad.

And welcome to all the newbies! Seems like we have an influx of people starting out with SL so hope to see posts in here. :smiley:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have slept poorly, had a couple of migraines, binge ate grossly and generally am not happy. I slept in and skipped my workout (the one that I rearranged my whole week so I could do it and still get plenty of rest for my 5k race on Saturday). Finally decided that the least I could do was use that food to power through a workout before getting the kids. So I loaded up on preworkout and did Squat and Bench day 3
    Squat 135 lbs x 3,140 lbs x 3, 150 lbs x 3
    Bench 60 lbs x 3, 80 lbs x 3, 90 lbs x 3
    Then WOW for SISM took me 9 minutes even and let me tell you, burpees +migraine+binge eating+2 scoops of preworkout does not make for a happy me. Blah.
    I think I am going to set my calories to maintenance for a week. Just to try to balance myself out.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Ladies rock!!

I am beginning to love my 4 am workouts, rather than 4 pm!
    I am progressing - albeit slowly...

This morning:
    Squat = 95 lbs.
    OHP = 50 - Looks like I am stuck here forever! Why is it so hard??? :(
    DD = 120 lbs. (I re-watched the videos, and find that it is now surprisingly easier to lift!)
    Interval Training = 10 minutes

Tomorrow is Ab Ripper X and Cardio day...whew!

Question: I find that I am more ravenous on my lifting days as opposed to my cardio days. Is that weird? Am I the only one?

Lift on, ladies!!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bepeejaye wrote: »
    Ladies rock!!

This morning:
    Squat = 95 lbs.
    DD = 120 lbs. (I re-watched the videos, and find that it is now surprisingly easier to lift!)

Question: I find that I am more ravenous on my lifting days as opposed to my cardio days. Is that weird? Am I the only one?

Lift on, ladies!!

I'm more hungry the day after a heavy lifting day. I'm ok on the day I lift, but the day after I turn into a bottomless pit. I'm worse the day after deadlifts (workout B ) than I am after Workout A.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I ran 0.17 miles at lunch. My legs were like 'nope, not happening lady.' I ended up walking 2 miles instead. I'm thinking it has to do with the bike-to-run brick I did yesterday.

Did workout A after work today.
    Squats 5x5 at 160#. The last set almost didn't happen, but I got it.
    Bench 5x5 at 115#. These were kind of ugly. For the spring into summer challenge, I decided to do 1000 push-ups. I think that made bench press so awkward. I'm doing more push-ups throughout the day and went into bench with a somewhat tired chest.
    Row 5x5 at 80#. Felt good enough.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Cleaned like a crazy woman all weekend (lots of Spring type stuff) but finally got a workout in, planning on Fri. for the next one.

Workout A (Wed)

Squats 2 x 5 - 175

Squats 5 x 5 - 200

Overhead Press, Barbell - 2 x 5 - 70

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 80

Pendlay Row - 2 x 5 - 80

Pendlay Row - 5 x 5 - 120
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I'm more hungry the day after a heavy lifting day. I'm ok on the day I lift, but the day after I turn into a bottomless pit. I'm worse the day after deadlifts (workout B ) than I am after Workout A.

yeah, that's me too. the deadlift hungries especially. always takes 24 hours to take hold.

i had a sucky day at the gym. i rode to work and rode home so clearly the only thing wrong with me after yesterday's skid-out is bruises and scrapes. but the location they're in makes for suck. i did half-assed squats (badly; extremely badly) with 65 and 75 pounds, 3/4-assed overhead presses with 30. and no deadlifting to speak of at all. i did try one with 25lb plates on the 30lb bar, but my entire subconscious is so terrified of banging that knee that my form was execrable. plus the knee itself may not be as robust as the squats gave me reason to think.

i gave up out of embarrassment as much as from fear. i was lifting in the demoralizing gym where nobody ever uses the rack so it keep drawing me back. plus it's right there on my way home compared with being a mile past it. but it's just a small space jammed full of extremely nice but extremely young and macho and tight-knit guys. they're far too sweet and beautifully-mannered to judge me, but i feel much more inadequate there than in the big soulless place. to be honest, my mile-wide defensive streak actually prefers the rowdy and self-absorbed and selfish riffraff in the other gym that the yuppies go to.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Ladies rock!!

This morning:
    Squat = 95 lbs.

Lift on, ladies!!

That is interesting, indeed! :smiley:

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I'm just always hungry, but for some reason running takes it out of me more than anything else. Heavy deadlifts are pretty taxing but not quite as bad as a 30 min run. And the cardio hunger is almost instant, too... lol

So today was Snatch skillwork, front squats and one of the longest grinders ever (and this phase rarely has time caps, so you just gotta suck it up and finish it off O.o)

1A) Snatch push press + snatch balance + 3 overhead squats complex
    75, 80, 85, 90lbs

2A) Front Squats
    105x8
    115x5
    125x2x5

3A) Grinder for time [19:10]
    - 8x10m sled push w/ 45lbs
    - 600 jump rope singles (UGH!)
    - 30 Knees to bows
    - 15 1-arm DB clean and press / arm w/ 30lbs
    - 4x10m sled push
    - 300 singles
    - 15 K2B
    - 8 DB Clean & Press / arm

Fuuuuuuuun times. I'm also at 92 pull-up negatives as of this morning (on 750) for the SISM Goal #1. Should be past 105 tonight. I might push to 120 (Do a few actual "working sets") tonight just to actually REST it tomorrow. I also need to spend some time on moooobility. Which is great cuz theres a mobility WOD 14 days challenge going on! You guys should check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-zG-4vFU7w
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I am suuuuuperhungry the days after lifting. Like today!
  • niknakmac123
    niknakmac123 Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had the crappiest workout ever yesterday. It was the strong lifts B workout. I just started so this is literally week 1. Lets see my form on my dead lifts was crap. I couldn't sit back or as the very helpful spotter/trainer/do gooder said "drop my butt down low", I also couldn't get down low on my squats either. I don't know if it was just soreness or inflexibility. Anyway, I didn't finish my squats I was so discouraged, I couldn't finish my overhead presses (just the bar) and I can't get my hips lower than my knees. I felt like crying. I still do, but I will not give up. I will watch some more videos, do some stretches to help my flexibility and try again tomorrow. And I thought workout B would be the easier workout. SMH.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I had the crappiest workout ever yesterday. It was the strong lifts B workout. I just started so this is literally week 1. Lets see my form on my dead lifts was crap. I couldn't sit back or as the very helpful spotter/trainer/do gooder said "drop my butt down low", I also couldn't get down low on my squats either. I don't know if it was just soreness or inflexibility. Anyway, I didn't finish my squats I was so discouraged, I couldn't finish my overhead presses (just the bar) and I can't get my hips lower than my knees. I felt like crying. I still do, but I will not give up. I will watch some more videos, do some stretches to help my flexibility and try again tomorrow. And I thought workout B would be the easier workout. SMH.

Hang in there and keep working on it - you'll get better with more practice. I have to constantly de-load and check my form. It's frustrating sometimes, but the benefits overall outweigh the negatives by far!

And @bepeejaye - I'm always hungrier the day after lifts than I am the day of. Running makes me want to eat a whole horse for dinner.

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Last night I went for a 2 mile walk - today I'll force myself through my lifts (this evening). Still feeling super body-tired, but I'm trying to hang in there and do what I can. I know it will pass. I'm still considering a week-long lift break, but I'm too scared to commit to that thought LOL.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lunges 5 x5 @50 lbs; Goblet squats 2 x 5 @ 35 lbs.

BP. 5 x 5 @ 62 lbs. Triumph!

Row 72 3x5. Terrible form. Will try at 72 lbs again.

Plank 3 @ 40 seconds
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Squat 120 3x5 125 2x5. 125 was a little tough but I'll kill it next time.

OHP 60 5,4,4,4,3 it was hard today but there was also a guy bothering me during it. More in the "so there was this guy at the gym" thread.

Deadlift 160 2x5 one set sumo. I think I like sumo better. It helps me keep my back straight. I have long arms and longish legs so I think the physics are just better.

Then I finished the SISM challenge with the kettle bells. It was fun but I had that feeling of having to burp during it so that made it less pleasant. Sorry if that was TMI.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Still in deload after time off.

Squat - 5x5 at 130. These felt hard, but form and depth felt good. I even hit the safety on one rep near the end. Oops. I normally only do that on warm ups with the empty bar. I will go up to 135 next, just to save on plate loading :P

OHP - 5x5 at 45. These were easy, so I made sure to concentrate on bar path and proper lock out. Up to 50 next time.

Deadlift - 1x5 at 155. These felt good and strong. I will do 165 next time.

Assisted pull ups - 8,8,7 at 35 lbs assist. Really struggled with that last rep. I hope to get 3x8 next time.
    5 negative pull ups.

Had a killer derby practice last night. Training decided that we needed to work on upper body strength. So we did push up to planks, downward dog push ups, and a pyramid of 25 crunches, 25 push ups, sprint a lap, 20 crunched, 20 push ups, sprint a lap, down to 0. I did push ups from my knees for that one. Then got to finish with shuffle burpees on skates followed by more sprinting. I am sore from head to toe :P
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I had the crappiest workout ever yesterday.

i know that feel. i've had times when i've left the gym really soaked in discouragement and splattered with big sad-feeling globs of i-suck.

keep doing it. never let just one workout discourage you on the bigger picture.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been busy at a convention for 2 days, and I got one more day left. I juggled my lifting days so I only have to lift once and man, I'm tired. I've been running around for 2 days with camera equipment and heavy purchases. My back has been cracking all day and I've been feeling stiff and awful.

So accessory work then!
    Front Squats 3x5 45lbs, 1x5 65lbs, 1x3 95lbs - I was so stiff so these were ugly. I had to use straps to hold the bar higher for my wrists.

Pull up Negatives with assistance band - until I gassed my hands

Hip Thrusts 2x5 45lbs, 1x5 60lbs - i need a shorter bench to lean on. and padding for the bar. I'm entertained by the butt pump on these after.

Sumo Deadlift 5x5 135lbs - I usually deadlift conventional and I've wanted to play with sumo deadlifts. These feel like I'm not even moving the bar that far up. Messed around with foot and hand placement. I'm not sold on these yet, my legs bend weird and the lock out feels weird and the tougher.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    '(è&'!(èè§y&)ç'è§!ççé'§(ç"é'!!!!!!!!!!

I really thought I would finally be able to do the 5x5 starting weight OHP of 45lbs, but failed yet again.. I really don't know what to do with them. Try the 45 lbs every time again? Because even just 10lbs lighter and I can do them easily.. Any advice on this??

Squats: 5x5 83lbs. These went okay but felt suuuuperheavy. The bar is also kinda starting to hurt on my neck/shoulders.

OHP: 2x5 45lbs (though not very pretty) and 3x5 33 which was too easy, but there were no other plates available..

Deadlift 1x5 77lbs. Superdupereasy. Felt good and strong!

I'm now doing Stronglifts for 3 weeks. Feeling of getting stronger? Yes. Noticing any changes of my body? Nope. Not that I really mind. I know it can take quite some time.
    When did you guys started seeing you were firming up/losing fat/noticing more muscles etc?