Workout check-in - May-king big changes this month

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Way to get back at it after @krokador . You're seriously so dedicated. That said, I hope you heal up soon.

I was curious so I Googled and of course, there's a wikiHow for your clumsiness problem (LOL): http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Being-Clumsy
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I was a way this weekend for the NYC 5 Boro 40 mile bike ride plus lots of walking around the city. I finally got some cardio in. However I missed 2 of my SL workouts. That means I have get back into the grind and probably deload 10% since I was struggling last week with heavy loads.

Meanwhile, I got so excited about bicycling that I decided to run 5 miles today. Let's see how I really feel tomorrow doing SL. LOL!!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Way to get back at it after @krokador . You're seriously so dedicated. That said, I hope you heal up soon.

I was curious so I Googled and of course, there's a wikiHow for your clumsiness problem (LOL): http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Being-Clumsy

I apparantly need to read it too. I'm constantly bruising myself and the darn pantry door nearly cleaned my clock this morning. Shiner in the middle of my forehead - (eye roll).

• LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Stronglifts B

Squat 5x5 @ 125 lbs Leg press: 1 x 6 @370 lbs

Overhead press 4 x 5; 1 x 4 @ 52 lbs Really had to push

Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 135 lbs; 1 x 5 @145 lbs

Zumba 25 minutes
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Squat 120 5x5 repeat
    Row 85 5x5 repeat
    Bench 90 2,3,3,3,2 repeat but better this time

No accessories - just did the timed circuit for @krok's challenge. Will do the test tomorrow.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tri training day 2 is done! Biked 10.08 miles then ran 2.5 miles. I still hate brick workouts.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Going slow but still going...

SQ - 5x5-ditched the weight and went back to just bodyweight. Having trouble with my knees and don't want to do any damage.
    OHP - 45# 5-3-5-3-4 - second time at this weight but obviously have to repeat again
    DL - 65# 5x5 - hard on the knees but doable

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yay, I lifted early today, before dinner instead of 9-10pm. I was starved at the end but dinner tasted amazing, even though it was pretty boring under seasoned sousvide chicken breast and broccoli.

Squat 5x5 220lbs - PR WUT! I'm surprised I got these in one shot. These looked and felt great too.

OHP 5/5/5/3/3 77.5lbs attempt 2 - dang it, I thought I had it too! Pretty sure the neighbor heard me cussing at the bar. I realized after my fail I've been looking up at a moth on ceiling, instead of at the eye level marker I have on the wall. I know I got this!

Deadlift 1x5 205lbs w/straps - PR yeah!

Time to attack the foam roller.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    today would have been workout b. but i did a classic skid-style bike crash a couple of blocks from the gym, so when i'd finally gotten my handlebars turned back the right way and myself sorted out, i just bypassed the place and came home. i'm truly not 'hurt' at all in the medical sense, but my left kneecap and heel of my right hand took the worst hit like they somehow always seem to do when i crash. i've got a few scrapes and road-rashes in other peculiar places as well (point of my chin on the right? really??), but those are the main reasons why it's not a good day to deadlift. or do the overhead press.

the bike seems to be fine though.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Not a bad night considering how tired I was today. It was boss man's birthday, so last night I stayed up late baking cupcakes and then brought them in to work in the morning since I wasn't scheduled until 2pm. After bringing them in, I took a nap for over an hour cause lying on the heating pad sounded like a good idea. Had 2 energy drinks today cause just felt tired. But got lifting done and felt fine during that. Maybe eating cupcakes helped, hehe. Almost done with stage 3 as I have 2 more days left but I'm veering from the program a little, I must admit.

NROLFW Stage 3 - B3

warmup with squats 3x5 @ 100 and it was easier just doing 3 sets

romanian deadlift/bent over row 3x6 @ 70 - not bad though row is still tough last rep and it's awkward finding a spot to do this near the fixed barbells

goblet squat 3x6 @ 30 - yep, like these more than the one leg thing and my knees don't ache this way
    wide grip lat pull down 3x6 @ 70 - easy enough, maybe try 80 again next time

bench press 3x5 @ 85 - the spot for back extension was taken and it was arm accessory day so did these

back extension 3x6 @ 10 - tried it with a plate, easy and help cause shirt tonight was a little more cleavage showy than usual
    YTWL 3x6 @ 7.5 - okay though the T is tough at times

And I decided I'd rather work on my deadlifts than do crunches as I want to get to 225 in early summer, so here is where I'm really veering from program.

deadlift 1x5 @ 135 and 1x5 @ 165 - okay but 165 feels heavy though got the reps fine

bicep curl 3x8 @ 30 - eh, it's arm day so figured I'd end with those

Got out late from work so it seemed short but long at the same time in the gym. It was also busy for the first half or so but then it died down. I have the next two days off from work, so plenty of computer time, cleaning, jogging and some packing to do. But first, sleep!
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Went gooooood today!

Squats 5x5 77lbs (35kg). Heavy, but managed to do them all, although pretty slow.
    Bench 5x5 55lbs (25kg). I had to break them and did them slow, but got them all and form felt okay. Couldn't do this last week, so really happy!
    Rows 5x5 60lbs (27.5kg). Got them pretty easily, but noticed my lower back hurt a bit afterwards. I also tend to raise my upperbody a bit up when I do them.

Tried to focus on using my core while doing everything and really noticed a difference!
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    Ouch, not fun @canadianlbs! Glad you aren't seriously injured!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I managed to do the deed last night and get my lifting in. I had already said "I'm not lifting tonight" at about 8:20. My usual is getting up early to lift, but with this extra exhaustion I've had lately I've opted to sleep as much as I can instead. Then I sent the kids to bed, my guy was on the phone and I was all, "Well hell, I should just go do it the best I can." So I did. It sucked, but I did it.

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x115 --- these actually felt decent with the form, but not perfect so I'm going to keep at this weight a little longer until my left knee decides to join the party and stay in place for the duration. It still has a small tendency to want to fall inward. Tsk tsk, left knee, that's not how we play well with others!

Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x85 --- I have been at this weight for a long time. The last lift I did was easy and I thought I'd move it up this time. Due to how weak I was feeling I opted to leave it alone for one more session and bump it up on Sunday. Good thing. It was super hard to get through last night. My left shoulder/neck was really straining to get the bar up. I was pissed.

Rows: 5x5x85 --- Also been at this weight a while, but I'm ok with this one. I considered bumping it up along with the benches, but decided against it as well. They weren't as hard as the bench, but they still took way more out of me than they did less than a week ago.

I'm getting sort of frustrated and discouraged with what was "easy" 3 or 4 weeks ago being almost impossible for these last couple of weeks. It's like I'm getting weaker, not stronger...still thinking it's allergy related because they're so bad right now I'm in a fog a lot of the time. I'm starting to feel a bit better, so I'm hoping I'll gradually stop feeling like a big fat wimp soon!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^ flares get me feeling like this. and i know i have an immune disorder but still every time i go through a perfectly sincere phase of what-the-hell-is-the-matter-with-me before i catch on. it's really hard to realise what a massive amount of energy your immune system can drain when it's fighting something. most people don't really experience it except when they're coming down with one of those kamikaze versions of flu, and that doesnt' happen often enough to stay around in your mind afterwards.

if it goes on and goes on and goes on, go see a doctor. it's too easy to think of exhaustion as a failure of your own will or work ethic or something like that. but if there's a physical cause and you're unaware of it, then making it personal is just going to make you feel like you're losing your mind.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    ^^ flares get me feeling like this. and i know i have an immune disorder but still every time i go through a perfectly sincere phase of what-the-hell-is-the-matter-with-me before i catch on. it's really hard to realise what a massive amount of energy your immune system can drain when it's fighting something. most people don't really experience it except when they're coming down with one of those kamikaze versions of flu, and that doesnt' happen often enough to stay around in your mind afterwards.

if it goes on and goes on and goes on, go see a doctor. it's too easy to think of exhaustion as a failure of your own will or work ethic or something like that. but if there's a physical cause and you're unaware of it, then making it personal is just going to make you feel like you're losing your mind.

You are correct - it does become personal when it probably shouldn't. When I talk about it with my fiance he tells me it's most likely the allergies. I just went to the eye doc thinking I sliced my eye or had an infection (Saturday) - it was all allergy related - to the point he prescribed a steroid eye drop. So I know they're kicking my booty right now, but it somehow still frustrates me. I should just roll with the lighter weights until I finally come out of the onslaught of spring allergies. This degree of allergies is new to me, too, never had it before - so I also didn't really know what all it affected. Thanks for your response, it's really good to know that the frustration isn't just happening with me. Misery loves company, right?!
  • canadianlbs
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i've found out that your immune system is city hall. you can't fight it, it doesn't even make sense to fight it. so literally the only practical strategic way you can win is by rolling with it. it's the one area of life where going all rambo and protestant-work-ethic on it just factually does not work.

if this is what's going on with you, then try to think of it as being trapped in a bramble bush. bulling your way out of that just plain doesn't work. you have to stand still and unpick each thorn one by one, if you want to get free. it sucks, but it is what it is.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    @Deena_Bean if it doesn't go away with the season, it could be a food allergy. Food allergies can present themselves in ways other than full anaphylaxis to include anxiety, fatigue, rashes, restlessness, general illness, etc.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    @Deena_Bean if it doesn't go away with the season, it could be a food allergy. Food allergies can present themselves in ways other than full anaphylaxis to include anxiety, fatigue, rashes, restlessness, general illness, etc.

Why does the World continually try to kill me?

I've considered some food allergies as well. About 1.5 years ago I did the primal blue print diet as a challenge with some friends. It's basically a little more relaxed than paleo, but essentially you don't eat bread/pasta and sugary stuff. It wasn't sustainable, really, so I basically gave up on it and went back to just eating what I want in controlled amounts. Long story short - I felt noticeably better during that period. Less stomach trouble and more energy. Lately I've been wondering if there's a connection - perhaps cutting out wheat/grain. I just don't know...that's the hard part.

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Well, I left my cell phone at home (hence no SL app), meaning I had no idea which workout to do so I decided to do some lighter lifts. This should have been the start of 8 week, so I guess it will be week 7 again. It felt good to start back up again. I know all this lifting will show eventually (event though I really don't seem my body changing at all), so I'll keep at it and not feel discouraged.

Squats: 5x5x 95lbs. This felt a bit light but I stayed at this weight because I want to ease into it since I ran yesterday. I do miss cardio and will try to incorporate more after a SL workout.

OP: 5x5x 45 lbs. I had no problems lifting the 45lb. bar so must mean I'm moving forward with the overhead presses. Here's to 50 lbs.

DeadLifts: For the life of me I could not remember what weight I was at last week with so I stuck with a lower weight of 1x5x 115 lbs. It felt light so I will move forward next week.

Afterwards, I managed a 35 minute spin workout and burned some more calories which I so needed to do after my NYC splurging.

• xcalygrl
    Options
    @dcresider - in case you don't already, start taking measurements. I have gained weight this year, but I have lost inches. I would be really discouraged if I didn't have my measurements to compare.