Eat Bacon, Don't Jog

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
41VcHkyQRfL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My friend just posted a picture of this book on my Facebook timeline.

LOL...

It does basically sum up my advice for health and weight loss.

Apparently this is a common theme. These is another book called Eat Meat And Stop Jogging: 'Common' Advice On How To Get Fit Is Keeping You Fat And Making You Sick

I've got too much on my reading plate, at the moment, but these will probably make their way onto my list eventually.

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    you know, I may steal this.

I was stalled for two months. kept gaining and losing the same 500g. Then I started seeing the recent studies showing that exercise doesn't really help you lose weight. Make you healthy yes, lose weight no.

So, I stopped. I stopped doing step aerobics 3x a week, I stopped hiking up a side of a mountain 2x a week.
    I am down to walking the dogs 1 mile a day and pilates 2x a week.

I have lost 6.3 lbs and 3.2% of BF in the past 30 days.

So I agree. More bacon, less sweat!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    FWIW, neither of those books are suggesting that you don't exercise. They want you to do strenuous exercises till exhaustion. Burpees instead of jogging. (I hate burpees.)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Pretty much the same as "The Calorie Myth" book I've talked about before. Still the name is pretty funny and awesome. I tell people all the time that I actually work out less than I used to when I was trying to eat less and exercise but still gaining weight.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hog poopy. Exercises uses energy. Energy is what is used to fuel the body during exertion.

I do MUCH better losing while exercising than not. I know I am burning fat now, instead of carbs for the energy needed to work out.

Also, more muscle which burns calories and tones the body. Nothing worse than loose skin on the journey to losing weight.

Don't stop moving. Muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle on! Throw out the scale.

• DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I hit the star thingy in the corner of the original post so I can look them up. I am just getting on the wagon so idk which i believe is more true, but good reads, yes! Hope the star thingy is useful. Lol.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise to lose weight I do it for keeping my body lean. I don't run either, 30 min of a day of some cardio and strength to bring your body in shape worth every minute.
  • wabmester
    Options
    If you were sedentary before, jogging is strength training! My leg muscles have become nicely defined. Combined with my bodyweight exercises, I'm looking good nekkid. :)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hog poopy. Exercises uses energy. Energy is what is used to fuel the body during exertion.

I do MUCH better losing while exercising than not. I know I am burning fat now, instead of carbs for the energy needed to work out.

Also, more muscle which burns calories and tones the body. Nothing worse than loose skin on the journey to losing weight.

I disagree with most of this. I lost 60lbs. I did not lose more weight exercising than I did by not. There is no reason to work out like a mad person at the gym 6 times a week. You have to work real hard for an hour to earn what amounts to just a few extra calories. I don't workout now, I ride my horse once a week, that's pretty much it. And it is a common misconception regarding the muscle thing. You will NOT build muscle by "moving" or doing cardio. You will only build muscle if you are actually lifting to build muscle. Do you know how hard it is for your body to gain even 1lb of muscle? It doesn't just happen.

Not saying exercise is bad. Being fitter is great. It's just not a crucial part of losing weight.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Cardio won't build muscles?

eliminatincardio1.jpg

Running also builds bone strength. :)

And it may not help much with weight loss (mostly because it makes you hungry), but it seems to help with weight maintenance.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited May 2015
    Options

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

That's Taubes' argument against the idea. He also covered it well in both his books. It's covered well by many other authors too.

Edit: It's five pages, and reading the whole thing is a really good idea. I'm not anti-exercise. I do plenty of it, when I want. But, it's not for weight loss.
  • shai74
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Cardio won't build muscles?

eliminatincardio1.jpg

Running also builds bone strength. :)

And it may not help much with weight loss (mostly because it makes you hungry), but it seems to help with weight maintenance.

That is not really a representation of the average person. And I guarantee he lifts too, he doesn't just run.
  • wabmester
    Options
    As I said before, if you go from sedentary to jogging, you are strength training. You build muscle with progressively increasing load. For example, when you run faster than you did before, you are increasing the load.

The guy in the picture is a sprinter. Lots of load on his muscles. You will not find a sprinter without muscles, even the "average" sprinter will grow muscle.
  • shai74
    Options
    We will have to agree to disagree I think. The average person going to the gym or walking or whatever several times a week is NOT going to put on enough extra muscle to greatly affect either their weight or their calorie burning.
  • wabmester
    Options
    The average person around here is overweight. That's like wearing a weight vest ALL THE TIME. Overweight people have more muscle mass than underweight people. If you want to MAINTAIN that muscle, then exercise. If you want to INCREASE that muscle, increase the load as you exercise. The type of exercise doesn't matter much, but leg-based exercises will load more muscle fibers, and that's a Good Thing.

If you want studies, let me know, but common sense will tell you that adequate protein + exercise will help you maintain muscle mass and lose the stuff that matters -- FAT (as opposed to WEIGHT).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    As I said before, if you go from sedentary to jogging, you are strength training. You build muscle with progressively increasing load. For example, when you run faster than you did before, you are increasing the load.

The guy in the picture is a sprinter. Lots of load on his muscles. You will not find a sprinter without muscles, even the "average" sprinter will grow muscle.

Sprinting is not jogging.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Sprinting is not jogging.

Did not know that. How embarrassing. :)

Does that mean if somebody who can only walk at 3mph progressively becomes able to run at 6mph, they did it without any muscle gain because they did not sprint? How fast must they go before it is considered a "sprint" for the sedentary?

• MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm from the school that believes that the only reason to walk there is if you don't have a car, and you don't have the money for a taxi. But I walk for all the other reasons it's a good idea: endurance, fresh air, sightseeing, etc. I want to be able to walk for long distances if I ever NEED to do so. That's why I'm training. It's also fun to move your body. I like to dance. It gives you stamina, creative expression, social interaction, grace, balance, and muscle definition. Exercise is good, regardless of how effective it is in reducing the number on the scale.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Oh, and OP, love the poster.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I can"t exercise right now and I kinda miss it. Especially kayaking. I feel better when I get some exercise, but I certainly can"t . complain that I am eating bacon and losing weight. Life is good.