Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I know when I'm walking I tend to breath quite shallow and although fast, its a comfortable pace for me.
    When jogging I'm puffing like mad in no time, I cant seem to regulate my breathing/find a rhythm at all.

That's why I would run just above your walking pace, technically the aerobic load should not be significantly different. It is trying to isolate where the problem is. Running significantly faster than walking changes two variables, pace and motion. Perhaps trying some deep breathing exercises.

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I did try the belly breathing noted a few pages back, not very good at it but it seems to help.

My jogging pace this morning was probably less than my walking. Having never been a runner I think its just stuff I need to work out. I may end up repeating weeks on the program just to be sure Im ok to move on. Its no big deal, it will take as long as it takes.
  • NEOA910
    NEOA910 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found that when I run too slowly, it throws off my breathing rhythm. Try running a bit faster and see if that helps your breathing. I know it sounds strange. I think when I was running too slow, I was kind of knocking the wind out of me, vs just breathing naturally.
  • JaneyClark1
    JaneyClark1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Whereabouts have you asked the question that you're getting people claiming similar symptoms?

Thank you for the info, to answer your question, here are a sample list of sites that I found info. I looked at a lot more. There are many sites out there if you a person where to google chills after running.
    And again, I made a call to the Dr. If I felt it was to the point I needed to go to the ER, I would have.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/424173-body-starts-chilling-after-workout/
    http://www.runnersworld.com/health/why-do-i-shiver-after-a-run
    http://thoughtsandpavement.com/2014/03/04/how-to-avoid-the-post-run-shivers/
    http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=13776
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090428061054AATzL12
    http://www.outsideonline.com/1783881/why-do-i-get-cold-after-working-out
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I did try the belly breathing noted a few pages back, not very good at it but it seems to help.

My jogging pace this morning was probably less than my walking. Having never been a runner I think its just stuff I need to work out. I may end up repeating weeks on the program just to be sure I'm ok to move on. Its no big deal, it will take as long as it takes.

This is why I think it is more mental than physical, the load on your lungs cannot be so great to cause issues. I could be completely wrong though.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There are many sites out there if you a person where to google chills after running.

You trained for 26 minutes, and that included 8 minutes of increased exertion.

Teeth chattering, and having to spend more than twice that length of time warming up is abnormal and should be concerning you. That's a lot more than chills after running.

I would recommend that you cease C25K until you've had a medical check.

But it's up to you.

• JaneyClark1
    JaneyClark1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are many sites out there if you a person where to google chills after running.

Thank you for your recommendation, I am not sure where you got how long I trained for... that is inaccurate. Again I am looking for people who have experienced this. I will not be defending myself further on this post..
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »

Two questions for all of you:
    1. How do you cut through the mind games? I know that my body is ready, but am already worried about the twenty minute run on Saturday. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    2. What do you runners eat on the night before a bigger run? I want to make sure I don't eat anything Friday that will negatively impact Saturday.

Thanks for your replies. I have really enjoyed reading all of the advice on this group and am ready to be a more active participant.

Kristen

Hi Kirsten,

I'm only week four, so I haven't done the "big run" yet, but I do know that when I find myself struggling (and the other day I had a very challenging run) I pick an obstacle ahead and tell myself, "I just need to reach that marker!" - and then once I reach it, I pick a new one. I tuck my phone (use an app on my phone to complete the c25k) into a running belt, so I can't visualize how much longer I need to run, so I find the "marker" game helpful.

I'm curious to hear other people's ideas about pushing past the mind games too!

I haven't changed my diet all that much, does it make an impact at this stage in the game? Great questions, can't wait for more experienced members to respond.

:)
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    @samhennings - I too am a fast walker (avg 4.3 - 4.6 mph) and recently found myself struggling with the transition to jogging. I am hopeful that my jog tomorrow will be more positive. If it's anything like w4d2, I'll be ill prepared for week 5 - and this is my second go at week 4!

Fortunately, I enjoy this experience and I haven't thought at all that it would be an impossibility to complete the program, at least I have a positive attitude to help me through! I'd be a lost cause without it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    1. How do you cut through the mind games? I know that my body is ready, but am already worried about the twenty minute run on Saturday. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My long runs are anything up to 15 miles now, and generally not less than 9 miles. But where you are now was only two years ago for me.

I'll chunk up the run into smaller segments, so a 15K is only three 5Ks, or the last 2K was half of what I did on my first day of C25K. I'll possibly give myself small targets; that tree, that bend, and then just move to a different objective. I might tell myself I'll take it easier when I get to the top of a slope, and then the downhill is easier anyway without having to slow down.
    2. What do you runners eat on the night before a bigger run? I want to make sure I don't eat anything Friday that will negatively impact Saturday.

I don't eat anything specific, but my diet is pretty balanced in terms of carbs, proteins and fats. Prior to a race last weekend I just ate at maintenance for a week beforehand to make sure I was well fuelled.

The main thing is to avoid an excessive deficit in general, as that'll leave you fatigued.

On the morning before a long run I'll have porridge and fruit about an hour before heading out. On a midweek long I may have some dried fruit towrds the end of the day, but can just go fasted now. That's an adaptation that you'll find, you become more resilient to going out lighter on fuel.

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    NEOA910 wrote: »
    I found that when I run too slowly, it throws off my breathing rhythm. Try running a bit faster and see if that helps your breathing. I know it sounds strange. I think when I was running too slow, I was kind of knocking the wind out of me, vs just breathing naturally.

Cant hurt to try! Thanks!

maggiekat7 wrote: »
    @samhennings - I too am a fast walker (avg 4.3 - 4.6 mph) and recently found myself struggling with the transition to jogging. I am hopeful that my jog tomorrow will be more positive. If it's anything like w4d2, I'll be ill prepared for week 5 - and this is my second go at week 4!

Fortunately, I enjoy this experience and I haven't thought at all that it would be an impossibility to complete the program, at least I have a positive attitude to help me through! I'd be a lost cause without it!

What helped your transition? Apart from a sunny disposition?! :)

Im very focused on doing it, but I cant honestly say Im enjoying it. More its something I know I need to do. Who knows? Im hoping at some point things will click into place and suddenly Ill be running with a smile.

ftrobbie wrote: »

My jogging pace this morning was probably less than my walking. Having never been a runner I think its just stuff I need to work out. I may end up repeating weeks on the program just to be sure I'm ok to move on. Its no big deal, it will take as long as it takes.

This is why I think it is more mental than physical, the load on your lungs cannot be so great to cause issues. I could be completely wrong though.

You may well be right. Doesnt feel that way, but the mind can manifest things in a very real way cant it? All I can do is push on and see where I get to.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Attempted week 6 day 3 yesterday. Had to walk the second half due to calf pain. Stretched it out and it's feeling better! I might rest until Monday.
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just got back from W8D2. It was tough due to new circumstances (different route that had a significant amount of hills instead of the flat trail I normally run, and it's also getting pretty hot/humid in Virginia now), but I completed it! 2.8 miles at an 11:55 min/mile pace. Before I started c25k, I had never ran a mile straight in my life, so I'm happy with how far I've come.
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    Almost four hours later and I'm still feeling *awesome* after completing w4d3! This was my best run EVER! I don't know what changed for this run, but I went faster and farther than ever before and my heart rate was so much better (much less time in the maximum and more time in anaerobic). In short, I didn't feel like I had lead for limbs and shriveled lungs during the last jogging phase and there was no need to engage in my "just to that marker" game.

The only thing I did differently this time was to run looking down at the ground in front and ahead of me.

Pretty excited to start week 5!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    @samhennings : i'm still actively transitioning. but, what helped motivate me to change from walking (which my body still prefers) to jogging is the time factor. i only need to jog for half the time to create the same calorie deficit, and truth be told, i'm still learning to enjoy exercise, so less time spent sweating is pretty motivating for me! and, as i'm sure you've experienced, at a certain speed while walking your body just naturally wants to run . . . i could feel the pull and was allured - and so here i am!
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I start W3 tomorrow, and having struggled with the 90sec runs of week 2 - how did you find the step up to 3 min runs?

I looked at the schedule and had a bit of a panic. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Just before I was about to quit I told my running buddy and he told me not to quit as I only had 15 seconds left. That's something I've realised- I'd feel awful if I'd put in all that effort only to fail because I couldn't keep going for another few seconds!

And the advice to slow down proved INVALUABLE. It's a jog, not a sprint. It feels like a completely different style of running to what I'm used to.

If I can drag my flabby, unfit body along for 5 minutes, there's hope for everyone :D

• SuperMelanie
    Options
    Wk 1 Day 2 completed. I am feeling great this evening, but this morning I had an issue that I was not prepared for that I wanted to run past you all to see if anyone has experienced this. I have been making sure that I have been hydrating before, during and afterwards. After my cool down, I left the gym feeling really good! I was not sore, (been sore all week). By the time I got to my car I started feeling nauseous, and well off. I decided to make hubby drive so we switched places, and found my legs were a bit jelly. This morning was a nice warm day, but I began to get chills, by the time we drove the 10 minutes home, I had goosebumps, my teeth were chattering, and I was shivering. My hands were freezing cold! It took a little over an hour under blankets for me to get somewhat warm and for my shivering to stop. Now, several hours later I feel GREAT! I am not stiff and sore, and I am not freezing. I am thirsty, I have drank so much today my eye balls are floating.. (like more than 19 cups to this point) Anyone experience this? I googled it, and found instances but well, I thought I would check here and see how you all handle it? And does it go away, or will I see this each time I try to jog? (I need to mention, my jogging is NOT very fast at all right now.) Thank you!!!

I have these exact symptoms after a really intense boxing session! I feel damn good at the time, but on the way home I get icy cold, teeth chatter, shivers etc and once felt a bit "spaced out". I asked my coach and he said it can caused by the combination of neurochemicals released when we exercise. It's been compared to a drug high. As the levels of chemicals etc we release as we exercise return to normal afterwards, we get something like a drug come-down. It can feel a bit scary until the "post-exercise chemicals" take over.

I found drinking too much water either before, during or after exercise makes the come-down feel a bit "trippy". I just sip water before and have a cup of tea or soya latte afterwards. With a banana or seaweed wrap to follow :)

So glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. If it's any help my coach says that people who have these symptoms tend to get a bit addicted to the thrill of exercise and become pretty fit as a result :)

• SuperMelanie
    Options

Thank you for your recommendation, I am not sure where you got how long I trained for... that is inaccurate. Again I am looking for people who have experienced this. I will not be defending myself further on this post..

To clarify, the message I posted about my similar experiences was not intended to replace medical advice. I have been checked over by a medically qualified professional and the symptoms I experienced are normal for me. I repeat: Normal FOR ME. That is not to say they are normal for you! As always, if you feel unwell or need medical advice or treatment- GET PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL HELP!!! I'd hate someone to take my comments over the experience and expertise of a fully trained and qualified doctor :smiley:
  • SuperMelanie
    Options
    Had a nasty accident yesterday where I ran down the garden path in ridiculously high heel and went flying down the steps and into the road. Bruised legs, badly grazed knees and a wrist so swollen and painful I thought it was broken. It's not :) just sprained and bruised from the impact.

Anyway, I know I probably should have been sat on the sofa, nursing my bruises, but I was determined to get the end of Week 4 before the weekend.

So I took it very slowly, running around a local park, knowing that if it hurt I could easily walk back home.

I don't know if it was the painkillers I'd had the day before, the strong coffee or the lovely evening sun...but...........I DID IT!!!

Week 4 done :D I haven't even looked at week 5's schedule yet, but I'm feeling AWESOME and nothing is going to spoil it today!
    Thanks for all the positive messages. <3 Same back to you with knobs on, as my Nan used to say!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    @worldsworstsuperhero - can't wait to start week 5 with you! impressive determination, i must say. i think i would have called it quits for a few days!