New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Nice to have u in the group TrishasTime
    We look forward to getting to know u from down under :)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi there. I'm Marcie and I just turned 50 years old in March (turning 40 was tough for me, but 50 was a breeze). My only kids are of the furry variety (a 13 year old cat and a 3 year old dog). I've struggled with my weight my whole life. My highest known weight was 350 pounds when I was 47 years old, but I suspect I came close to 400 at one time. A couple years ago my Dad was ordered by his cardiologist to lose 40 pounds. We had just lost my mom to cancer and he had let himself go while we were caring for her. He started logging his food and exercise on a weight management website (not MFP), and then very subtlety suggested I may want to do the same. I learned so much over there, and the pounds started coming off. That site recently shut down, but I already had a MFP membership, so me and a bunch of other members from that site just transitioned over here (I set up a group for them so we'd all have a meeting place here). My goal is not to lose a ton of weight quickly. I'm just steadily chipping away at it and learning as I go. One-derland is in my sights now, and I look forward to making it my new home!

I sure hope this is an active group! Most of the groups I've checked out seem to have lots of members, but very little movement.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Marcie, it's wonderful to have you in our group. Over 8000 posts is very impressive, you really have been active! There are a lot of inactive groups in MFP and it can be difficult to find those that are busier. We have a great bunch here that is always supportive and motivating. Sounds like you have really found a new direction. That is so wonderful for you. Feel free to invite more of your friends, we have members in their 40's - 80's. We look forward to getting to know you.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Welcome Marcie! You have made fabulous progress in a smart way. This group is like any other. Some very active, some a little and some not so much. We are trying to keep it active and keep people involved.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I saw the group mentioned (apologies; I forget by whom) in a thread titled something like "Is everybody here young?"

I'm 63. Discovered to my surprise, after adding the app to my phone, that I joined here in January 2013. I think that was before I hit my max weight, which was somewhere upwards of 210. Lost 40-plus after the doc said I was edging into diabetes and should stop eating white carbs.

Least painful weight I've ever lost.

I've plateaued in the mid-160s and know I'll have to work at it to get out of the overweight BMI and into normal.

I'm less than a week into a 1200-calorie diet. If I whine too often, slap me.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Great to have Marcie on our group, I can see we can learn so much from your weight loss experience. Feel free to start a discussion anytime
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome aboard JanetMMcC
    Well done on 40+ loss.. You have worked hard.
    Be interested to see how you get on with 1200 cals..
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Hi Janet! Welcome to the group. I am 63 and started over 200 lb. Congrats on your loss so far. Don't hold hard and fast to 1200 if you get hungry. You lose slower the closer you get to goal, so no point in starving.
  • lguenter
    lguenter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Lori and I'm 52 years old. I joined MFP a long time ago but never got really serious until April of this year. So far, after 58 days, I've lost 12 pounds. I'm still learning how this works for me. This is my first post on the forums. I've read many other threads and learned a lot from my reading. I hope to continue learning as I figure out what works for me. Just lately, the last couple weeks, I've found myself feeling hungrier than usual. Not sure why as I've tried to maintain a simple eating plan and I don't think I've been very far under my goal very many times.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    lguenter wrote: »
    Hi. I'm Lori and I'm 52 years old. I joined MFP a long time ago but never got really serious until April of this year. So far, after 58 days, I've lost 12 pounds. I'm still learning how this works for me. This is my first post on the forums. I've read many other threads and learned a lot from my reading. I hope to continue learning as I figure out what works for me. Just lately, the last couple weeks, I've found myself feeling hungrier than usual. Not sure why as I've tried to maintain a simple eating plan and I don't think I've been very far under my goal very many times.
    Great weight loss Lori! :smile:
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    lguenter wrote: »

Suggestion if your feeling hungry is eat more fiber and drink plenty of water.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    It is so great to see our group growing by leaps and bounds. It's also helpful and motivating to have people at all points in the journey with so many different experiences. I think we all really benefit from each other.

• mommasrecipes
    mommasrecipes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Pam, 57 years old, one grown daughter and four grandchildren. I work full time, and ,yeah, I'm a stress eater. I have had trouble with this all my life, but currently it's the worst it's ever been. Well, I'm back on MFP and hoping this time I'll keep it off for good. Glad you all are here. Thanks!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Hi, I'm Pam, 57 years old, one grown daughter and four grandchildren. I work full time, and ,yeah, I'm a stress eater. I have had trouble with this all my life, but currently it's the worst it's ever been. Well, I'm back on MFP and hoping this time I'll keep it off for good. Glad you all are here. Thanks!

I often wish that on our food diaries there was a space to write why we were eating, hungry, bored, etc. When I did Jenny Craig some years back they asked you to write your mood/reason for eating. It was a real eye opener and would rally make you think. But I suppose you could try to track your mood separately. It might help. Anyway, Pam, welcome.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »

I often wish that on our food diaries there was a space to write why we were eating, hungry, bored, etc. When I did Jenny Craig some years back they asked you to write your mood/reason for eating. It was a real eye opener and would rally make you think. But I suppose you could try to track your mood separately. It might help. Anyway, Pam, welcome.

There is a small space for notes on the bottom of each day's diary. I usually list whether I have remembered my vitamins, but a person could make a short note of what was going on in their life that day. I think that would be a real eye opener.
  • nikkib0103
    Options

There is a small space for notes on the bottom of each day's diary. I usually list whether I have remembered my vitamins, but a person could make a short note of what was going on in their life that day. I think that would be a real eye opener.

That is a good idea. I never thought of using that note box. See, I hear a good idea every day around here.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I often use the notes to say how I got on
    Worth a try
  • mommasrecipes
    mommasrecipes Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Thanks, Nikki. That's a great idea. I started a journal. I think I could go "old school" and put a small pad of paper in my purse to jot things down.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Writing is a powerful tool. It takes things to another level (for our generation anyway). I write down my complete plan because I really feel more committed and accountable. When I struggle, rereading it can really help my focus.
  • TravelinGal7147
    TravelinGal7147 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, This is my first week with my fitness pal. My heavens all these diets and gimmicks later and it just may that good old counting calories and logging foods is what works. And suddenly I am not spending scads of money for the privilege of trying to eat healthy. Anyway, I am 69 years old, with 1 dog and 1 daughter, and 3 great stepchildren and their 11 children. Right now I have a posterior tibial tendonitis along with many other reasons that tendon can use a less weight on it. I plainly have to lose and keep it off. here is one big difference - I am willing to settle on 1 pound a week loss so that I do not feel like I am starving and then overeat! I need to upload a picture as soon as I can find something I can stand that is more or less current.