Did you run today?

Options

Replies

• poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @Firestorm1972 & @Just_Ceci hope things iron out for you both!

Been finding it hard to make time for running. Getting to the end of the school year, 2 lacrosse players at different schools and a t-baller to boot. Just crazy most of the time... managed 2.77 in 27:52 this morning. Left knee was just starting to hurt a little. Need to be more consistent I think!
  • poke987
    Options
    Added another 2.32 miles (walked) this evening, pushing double stroller and both boys...about 70 lbs. Took 49:55, but had aforementioned boys, and a dog. Plus friend and her 2 dogs... 2 boys, a stroller and 3 leashes. We weren't moving too fast!
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    10k charity walk today. I so wanted run it LOL. As soon as I saw the run pack take off, I almost started to run, but knowing of my knee injury I held back and walked the 10k with my wife. Her 1st 10k walk. Took over 2 hours but at least I got some walking in, the knee started feeling stiff going down hill. So I've decided to fork out the cash and go see a Sports Phyisotherapist and find the cause of the knee issues rather than me guessing at it. For now I'm still stretching and doing the strength exercises for the glutes etc..
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I made myself get out and do a short run on Friday before dinner- 2 miles in 18:29. Almost stepped on a neighbor's yappy dog, ended up kicking it instead (didn't really mean too!) It still came after me on the next lap! So much for leash laws...
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Well almost made 1k today until my left knee started to "twitch" so I stopped and jumped on the bike and did that for 30 minutes. 2 minutes at a general pace then 1 minute at 85% max heart rate. That $h!t made me sweat more than I do when I run outside :o But it felt good to sweat and get my heart rate going after resting for the past week. Have also decided fork out the cash to see a Sports Physiotherapist on Wednesday to assess the cause of the issues in my knees, I'm hoping its just an over training issue. I don't mind paying money to figure out whats wrong even if its been my stupidity of pushing myself to hard. My goal is still another Half in September and I'm willing to cut back and recover and take rest days rather than go 7 days a week at it. I leave it in the PT hands on what I should do.
    Keep it up ladies/gents...even though I don't see to many gents in here lately LOL. Keep wallking/biking/running, whatever keeps you in the groove. Oh and don't over do it, and listen to your body. My mind and my body don't see eye to eye at times and my mind says go..go...go..and my body says like WTF are you doing "I'm tired" :D
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My mind and my body don't see eye to eye at times and my mind says go..go...go..and my body says like WTF are you doing "I'm tired" :D

For me it is the opposite, my brain tells me to stop and my body is capable of more!
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Slow 6k as knee still bothersome :'( . Went to PT today, she worked my hips and knees.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran with my much younger (30 yo) and much taller (5'11" to my 5'2.5") sister in law yesterday. She hasn't been running much, so we ended up walking quite a bit. It was HOT. I much prefer running and riding with someone else rather than by myself. The running parts totaled 2.9 miles in just over 30 minutes.
  • GreatCthulhu
    Options
    Since joining the running club I haven't been out just for a run in a while, but today I went out and did 7 miles in 72:45. Felt pretty good
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Friday afternoon, it was storming, so I ran 5 miles at the gym- 70 laps on the track! o_O

Biked on Saturday and completed a bike to run (brick) on Sunday- 16.5 miles on the bike including some sprint intervals, followed by 2 quick miles running (9:10 and 8:53).
  • poke987
    Options
    Can't seem to find the time, nor motivation to make time... did a few evening walks last week, and one trip to the y for the elliptical. Wanting to br better... so made myself run 1.5 miles then walk another mile on the treadmill while we were there for swim lessons this am. I must be better! Not having the program to follow, the "have" to run pushing me... I've allowed some serious slacking!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @poke987 I know exactly how you feel. I'm finding it very hard to make myself run now that I'm not really training for anything. :/
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Well i ran/walked 5k in 37minutes. Probably against my PT, now my knee hurts a little.
  • GreatCthulhu
    Options
    I have now set myself a challenge of running a race every month until the end of the year, including another half in September! Trying to get my motivation back
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    I have the motivation, but my body, specifically the IT Band is not cooperating. Have upgraded to a GRID foam roller and man does it dig in LOL. Put the Physio on hold, at $70 a visit, 2 times a week is burning a hole in the pocket.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran in my national park yesterday- 5k in 31:15. It was hot and muggy. I really need to make myself get up and run before work!
  • poke987
    Options
    @Firestorm1972 I hope things get better, how frustrating!

@Just-Ceci I'm not looking forward to hot or muggy. Lol. I'll JUMP off the wagon at that point. Or work out exclusively indoors!

@GreatCthulhu that's a great goal! My older kids both want to keep up over the summer, with their fitness... so in suggested a 5k each month June July and August, hoping to keep them motivated... preseason last year was tough! Running them might not be in the cards for me, but I can try! And walk later on if need be.

June 20th, will be our first. A local 5k we did last year. It's mostly flat, so I hope to be able to run the entire thing. Did 3.24 in 37:29 last night, my hilly route... i wasnt sure id be able to do it at all. Turns out i was ok; I had to walk twice. Once on the biggest hill, for a bit, then once on the way back... but that second "pain" quickly disclosed itself as gas and I was able to get right back in stride. Slow, and very mindful of my belly... but I did it! I don't think I've run over 2 miles since the half. So that was great for me!
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    5k...well ran about 2k until my knee gave out...walked 3k to home 8(. This is getting frustrating and am slowly loosing motivation to run, I think next step is a visit to the Dr for xrays or MRI on my knee. I've been foam rolling, strengthening and visits to the Physiotherapist and still same intense pain.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @FireStorm1972 Definitely see a Dr!

I ran Wednesday night at the national park. It was miserable, my slowest time for that route since I started using Strava.

On a more positive note, I PR'd my 10k this morning, despite the heat- 1:00:10.7, 2nd in my age group. I'm sure if it hadn't been so hot, I'd have broken the hour mark!
  • poke987
    Options
    @FireStorm1972 I'm so sorry this continues to be a problem for you. How frustrating! I hope the Dr can offer some insight!

I've done little running, but have done some walking and I've been using the elliptical at the y 2 or 3 days a week. Trying to keep active, but can't seem to motivate to actually run! We are supposed to do a 5k next weekend. Better lace up my sneakers this week if I have any hope of running it! Otherwise I'll just walk it...