Workout check-in - Juknow you got this!

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    @cherisseb96 - you definitely don't have to move up on your OHP if you don't feel comfortable. Even though I have hit my squat numbers everyday, I only increase once a week (if I feel comfortable). You'll still get stronger if you don't bump up your weight for a week or two. Your body will adjust, and you'll feel like the weight that you were struggling with is now lighter.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Awesome work everyone! I had copied some quotes and made specific comments but then touched "cut" by mistake and deleted them all pfft. Anyway welcome to AR, congrats Dawn for completing stage4 (those lifts sound so funky and cool...prone snatch! Got to look that up!). There were a few more comments but now they're gone...

I don't recommend the dumbbell prone cuban snatch unless you like lying on an incline bench so that the top is right at your face cause the odor from all the ones who have used it makes the lift a challenge. It's a weird lift that is oddly hard to do. More fun is the one arm dumbbell snatch, which I get to do now in Stage 5. Though I also have to do YTWL this stage, the L is basically the cobra snatch, so it's more awkward time on the incline bench. But not today, today's weirdness is just one arm overhead db squats and one leg romanian deadlift.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. It's not a SL day but I decided to run since I miss it so much (and I overate again last night. UGH!!) . I was planning to go outside but ended up doing treadmill interval runs for about 40 minutes (1min sprints at 8.5 mph, and1 min jog at 4.5 mph). It felt good to sweat because I don't really sweat much doing SL. Also, did 3 1-minute planks so I'll be feeling the abs tomorrow.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Today didn't feel quite as good as Tues. No more meatloaf :(

120 squats
    60 OHP struggling to progress
    185 DL x3 Had a problem with grip and focus by the end
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Everything felt hella heavy today, but between adding cardio and moving furniture all day yesterday I've just been tired.

Squats: 3x5 @ 95#
    Bench: 5/5/5/5/4 @ 70#
    Rows: 5x5 @ 70#

I bought a food scale that will arrive next week. I haven't calorie counted in a few months. Even when I did before I never weighed anything. I'm trying to get a better idea of what's going on food wise. I'm hoping my body will adjust to my new schedule the next couple weeks. Between that and the CC I'll start to head in the right direction again.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I went to the gym mid afternoon this time since I was over near there to run errands anyways. Plenty of people but not to the point where it affected my workout. Started the next stage, though I may skip next thursday because for some reason I thought the 5k was the 15th. It's on the 12th so I may not want to lift then run next day, even if it's at 9pm (5k) since I have been a bit sore lately. For now, working through stage 5.

NROL4W Stage 5 - A1

high bar squats 3x5 @ 125 - hefty but okay, should be back to 135 soon, which is fun with the big plates

one arm db snatch 4x4 @ 30 - easy enough

one leg db romanian deadlift 3x4 @ 30 - struggle with left side still
    bar bent over row 3x4 @ 80 - hard but good that it is just 4 reps

db one arm overhead squat 4x4 @ 12.5/25 - okay
    db incline bench 4x4 @ 27.5 - not bad either

reverse wood chop 4x4 @ 15 - used the one with the lower numbers cause other was in use

bench press 4x5 @ 85 - challenging
    bicep curl with bar 3x8 @ 30 - eh

Overall, not bad.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i went today, but my heart really wasn't in it; ended up just kind of wandering around doing nothing useful, so i came home. did a few sets of 65lb squats, some shoulder work, and jog/walked a mile on a treadmill, so CLEARLY something's not normal with me.

clearly i need at least one more night's rest.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    On night shift 5 of 7, and really didn't want to go today. But I figured I wouldn't want to go tomorrow either, so might as well get it done! I was pleasantly surprised at how well my workout went.

Squat - 3x5 at 150 lbs - new high :) I wasn't going to increase since 145 was still feeling pretty hard, but I figured my form has been good, and I got my reps, so just do it. What's 5 more lbs? If I wait until 145 is easy, I will be waiting a long time. 150 didn't feel that much harder than 145. I am happy I went for it.

Row - 1x5 at 75 lbs, 2x5 at 80. I decided after the first set that 75 wasn't enough and upped it to 80. I wasn't originally planning on really any increases today since I didn't want to go in the first place, but once I got started, I changed my mind.

BP - 3x5 at 75 lbs. Ok. I might try 77.5 next time and see how it goes.

BB Shrug - 3x8 at 50 lbs. I think I need to up this.

Skullcrushers - 3x8 at 40 lbs. Used the ez curl fixed barbell for this since the straight was in use. These were a lot easier using the ez curl bar! My regular gym doesn't have fixed ones, but does have the bar, so I will need to figure out how much it weighs and use it.

BB curls - 2x8, 1x6 at 40 lbs. Just couldn't get the last 2 out. Most likely because I was supersetting these with the skullcrushers and was getting less rest than usual.

Hyperextensions - 3x10 with 15 lbs. Good. Going to up to 20 lbs next time.

Cable crunches - 3x10 at 50 lbs. Better today. I really like this exercise. I can feel it all around my core.

No pull up work today, was going to be late for work :(
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Worked out this morning at 7am.
    It had been a week since I cut my thumb pretty badly last sunday, but now it was pretty much healed, so I went for it.

Squats: 5x5 83lbs. Went okay, but I'm twisting my right knee inwards, so definitely gotta pay attention there!

OHP: 5x5 38.5lbs. I freaking hate these. Just when I'm able to hit the bar, I'm ecstatic, and then I need to take the weight off again next time, cause form is *kitten* again. Blargh.

Deadlifts 5x5 99lbs. Felt really good and then I took the workweight of my buddy to do a 1 rep max and hit 132lbs. I absolutely love deadlifting!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifted tonight woop woop

Squat 5x5x135lbs - squats and I haven't been friends lately but these felt good
    OHP 5x5x70lbs easy moving up
    Deadlift 1x5x210lbs gonna stick here for a bit - tried to get 220lbs but it wasn't gonna break

Then a 5x5 superset of fun things like curls, extensions, ab stuff, hip thrusts, pikes - basically making the most of my preworkout lol. Shaking now
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Cardio yesterday. I rode my bike to the neighborhood pool and swam a mile.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Bench day 3
    75 lbs x 3, 85 lbs x 3,95 lbs x 4
    These felt ok. I had some pain behind my shoulder blade at first but warm up reps seemed to take care of that.
    Accessories
    Bench 65 lbs 5x8
    Cleans 75 lbs 5x8
    My biggest problem with wendler is that it doesn't seem to get my upper back at all so I'm hoping I can get enough accessories in to cover that. I might re adjust reps so that I can go a little heavier
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with wendler is that it doesn't seem to get my upper back at all so I'm hoping I can get enough accessories in to cover that. I might re adjust reps so that I can go a little heavier

Back when I was mixing it with the GBB program which was 5 days a week, I always had a 5th day where I would do rows. The 5/3/1 method works pretty okay on rows, too. At least it did for me. Although cleans will also give your upper back quite a workout, I gotta say ;)

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Squats: 90 lbs - These felt tough and form was slipping a bit. Going to stay here again next time. My one side is so tight that my mobility is off. I think I need to get a foam roller and work it out.
    BP: 50lbs Felt easy.
    Row: 65 lbs - Felt good. Going to move up next

Did some stretching, assisted dips and planks.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

Back when I was mixing it with the GBB program which was 5 days a week, I always had a 5th day where I would do rows. The 5/3/1 method works pretty okay on rows, too. At least it did for me. Although cleans will also give your upper back quite a workout, I gotta say ;)
    And power cleans are a hellofa lot more fun than row *hates on rows*
  • DawnEmbers
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jogged 40 minutes today and according to fitbit got a little over 3 miles. Yay! Just in time for the 5k, which is in one week. Now to eat food cause hungry.

Power cleans look fun but not sure I can do them any time soon cause I can't front squat holding the bar that way either. My shoulder/elbow/wrist mobility needs a lot of work as the only way to hold the bar so my elbows are at the correct angle is if the bar is behind my head. So, we'll see if I can do them some day.
  • cherisseb96
    cherisseb96 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @psych101 seeing u say 70# OHP is easy is just astonishing to me....one day I'll be big like u..lol
    Today's workout A
    Squat- 5x5 95# ..this was harder than I thought it would be ...I think I'll stay here for another day cuz my form wasn't as I wanted it...from the videos I took I saw a few mini good mornings and even a couple mini grinders on reps 4 or 5
    Bench- 5x5 75# ...wow baby this was heavy but I feel confident that I'll keep progressing in this lift
    Rows- 85# is waaaaaaaayyyyy heavier than 80#. Idk how but that 5 extra pounds felt like 15...so I will not increase this lift next time.....
    I didn't think this day would have reached so soon where I do a lift more than once before increasing the weight. I mean up until this point it was smoothe sailing, my progress was a straight line but I understand that this is when the true strength gains happen...when you stick at a weight then push through to a higher weight
    @xcalygrl I'm going to take your advice and progress when I feel comfortable and form is good..
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah a deload day, everything is easy!

Squats 5x5 - 215lbs - working back up to 225lbs. warmups 2x5 45lbs, 1x5 135lbs, 1x3 175lbs. I had a couple reps that I bent the knees first instead of the hips, so I went down weird like a high bar, thus went up weird. Bleh maybe I'll redo 215lb.

OHP 5x5 - 70lbs - working back up to 80lbs. warmup 2x5 45lbs. Easy. I took the short 1.5 minute breaks here.

Deadlift 1x5 - 190lbs - working back up to 215lbs. warm up 1x5 135lbs, 1x5 165lbs. I watched more deadlift form videos and tried to get more tension going by pulling myself to the bar. Still not feeling it and my form is still wacky with my legs rising faster than my body despite the deload. Again debating to switch to sumo but I rather get the more posterior chain work.

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    @cherisseb96 lol it takes time xx I've been doing stronglifts for a loooooong time
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    After a tough workout week where every single weight was hard and massively heavy, I actually had a great workout today. Everything that has been too heavy all week was suddenly - not easy, but doable. Even my HIIT cardio after my workout was feeling good enough to add to.

squats: 5x5 @ 95#
    OHP: 5x5 @ 55#
    DL: 1x5 @ 145#