New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Hi, This is my first week with my fitness pal. My heavens all these diets and gimmicks later and it just may that good old counting calories and logging foods is what works. And suddenly I am not spending scads of money for the privilege of trying to eat healthy. Anyway, I am 69 years old, with 1 dog and 1 daughter, and 3 great stepchildren and their 11 children. Right now I have a posterior tibial tendonitis along with many other reasons that tendon can use a less weight on it. I plainly have to lose and keep it off. here is one big difference - I am willing to settle on 1 pound a week loss so that I do not feel like I am starving and then overeat! I need to upload a picture as soon as I can find something I can stand that is more or less current.

Welcome aboard.. I pound a week is great goal.. Losing slowly will help to keep the weight off.. A picture would be lovely :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Welcome traveling gall! Excellent plan to lose a pound a week. Starving is a recipe for failure. Did this so many times before but this way worked.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Traveling Gal, you hit it right there. Cut through the gimmicks and it's all calories in, calories out. In fact, I was watching 'My 600 Pound Life' yesterday and one of the patients was not losing weight as he should. He told the doctor he had even started baking his own whole wheat bread in place of eating white bread. As if that should have made all the difference. The doctor said the calories were the same and it made no difference. A little A-ha moment for me. I am prone to gimmicks, etc. Welcome and good luck!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Hi, This is my first week with my fitness pal. My heavens all these diets and gimmicks later and it just may that good old counting calories and logging foods is what works. And suddenly I am not spending scads of money for the privilege of trying to eat healthy. Anyway, I am 69 years old, with 1 dog and 1 daughter, and 3 great stepchildren and their 11 children. Right now I have a posterior tibial tendonitis along with many other reasons that tendon can use a less weight on it. I plainly have to lose and keep it off. here is one big difference - I am willing to settle on 1 pound a week loss so that I do not feel like I am starving and then overeat! I need to upload a picture as soon as I can find something I can stand that is more or less current.

One pound a week is a great goal! Good luck to you, and yay for not having to pay anyone else for the privilege of eating well. I've been on that bandwagon for a couple years now and will never go back.

• mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am 52. Happily married and have two teenage daughters still with me. I raised my niece who now lives in Japan and gave me a granddaughter!

Two years ago I was only about maybe ten lbs over when I had a "cardiac incident". I had elevated enzymes etc but they hemed and hawed over calling it a heart attack. But it was enough for me! I got scared and depressed (common after heart attacks I hear?). And gained more weight! This past December I said I was done being scared of my body. I joined a gym and got on here and lost 12+ lbs. I'm in my goal range but still sort of skinny fat. The issue I am having is working out a middle aged body! I work out but when I came on the forums to ask about my trainer I got seriously slammed and attacked. It was both scary and depressing. Some one said this group was way nicer and more supportive and would not shame or encourage me to hurt myself. So here I am. Putting it out there hoping for the best!
  • mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh just for added fun: I have a teenage daughter with a mild metabolic disorder who needs to eat 3000 calories a day! So I'm trying to watch my consumption while throwing food at her all day! Life is so not fair. LOL
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    mccanns725 wrote: »
    Oh just for added fun: I have a teenage daughter with a mild metabolic disorder who needs to eat 3000 calories a day! So I'm trying to watch my consumption while throwing food at her all day! Life is so not fair. LOL

LOL. The universe will have its little jokes. I, too, noticed a lot of browbeating and 'my way is the only way' in a lot of the threads. This is a much more supportive and, well, mature, environment. I have been very happy and hope you will be, too.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    mccanns725 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I am 52. Happily married and have two teenage daughters still with me. I raised my niece who now lives in Japan and gave me a granddaughter!

Two years ago I was only about maybe ten lbs over when I had a "cardiac incident". I had elevated enzymes etc but they hemed and hawed over calling it a heart attack. But it was enough for me! I got scared and depressed (common after heart attacks I hear?). And gained more weight! This past December I said I was done being scared of my body. I joined a gym and got on here and lost 12+ lbs. I'm in my goal range but still sort of skinny fat. The issue I am having is working out a middle aged body! I work out but when I came on the forums to ask about my trainer I got seriously slammed and attacked. It was both scary and depressing. Some one said this group was way nicer and more supportive and would not shame or encourage me to hurt myself. So here I am. Putting it out there hoping for the best!

I'm just recovering from a cardiac incident as well. I will agree it certainly is an eye-opener. I didn't have a heart attack though. My enzymes were elevated but all other tests came back negative. Final diagnosis was pericarditis caused be a virus. So far I've lost 12 lbs. 25 more to go! I'm working with a physiotherapist because I'm also recovering from knee surgery (scope). It's been put on hold for a few more weeks until I get my chest pain under control. Yes my doctor know about the pain. I think I remember your post. It is kind of scary on the main board. Welcome to this group.

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm Doug from Akron. I'm 51 (where does the time go??). I've been on MFP for almost 2 years, but have plateaued over the past several months. I'm working to get my self-discipline back and to get back into logging food/exercise each day and to exercise 3X week. As one of my MFP friends says, "There are no (fitness) benefits for part time workers." Good luck to each of you on your respective fitness journeys.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "There are no (fitness) benefits for part time workers."
    Hello Doug! I like that quote!
    Welcome :smile:
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....my name is Lulu and I turned 65 in April. I'm a moderator of a women's group of over 50 year olds but thought this group looked like a lot of fun as well. I've been a member here since Sept of 2013 and have lost 64 lbs so far. I still have 6 or 7 to go but basically right now I'm just maintaining. I'm recovering from a hip injury and so my exercise routine shifted a bit. It's feeling much better now and so I'm gradually working back up to my normal routine and will add the deficit back in this or next week. I would like to reach my goal sometime this year..... :)

I'm a weight lifter.....LOL, might sound crazy at my age but I love it. I also swim and walk my dog about 6 or 7 miles a week.

I've recently closed my profile to the public, but it's viewable to friends, as is my diary. Friend me if you want. I had to change it to avoid a specific individual and will keep it that way for awhile.....LOL

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know all of you a little better!

Lulu
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello Lulu. Its always fun to meet another dog lover! I also have had hip surgery and like to swim but havent lifted weights in a while. Welcome to the group Im sure you will be a fun addition!
  • luluinca
    Options
    Thanks greenacres..............I just pulled a hip flexor so not nearly as serious as your surgery. It happened about 5 weeks ago and I'm already feeling fine again. Right now I'm just trying to strengthen it so I don't do it again.... ;)
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Lulu! We try to make it fun and informative. Nice to have people of a similar age groups for ideas.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Hi, Lulu. I read your story in your other thread. Inspiring! Look forward to getting to know you.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • glimmersilver
    glimmersilver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I'm new to MFP. I'm 59, female, single, no kids. Live in eastern Canada, though I hail from NYC originally. I have dealt with weight and emotional eating issues pretty much my whole life, and recently starting thinking it would be nice to find an online community to share with. I'm not horribly overweight - 5'3", 155 lbs, zaftig (if you know what that means) - but I've always intensely disliked the way I look and obsessed over it endlessly. I have, I believe, the world's widest hips, rivaled possibly only by my mom, my aunt, and my cousin - just 'cause it's genetic doesn't mean I don't hate it. I always wanted to look like a swimmer, though I know no amount of dieting or swimming (and I do swim) will make me narrow hipped and flat chested. Sigh. I guess I qualify as having body image issues.

Around six years ago I managed, with serious work, to get down to almost 135 (from 165), but now I'm most of the way back up. Don't want to buy new clothes, which means I feel depressed every time I put on a pair of pants in the morning. I keep telling my self I'm going to just start eating better - tomorrow morning, right? But that doesn't work too well. So I decided I should seek out an online community which might help with confronting some of these issues. I've joined Weight Watchers in the past, but always found the meetings to be somewhat absurd, and there was no real community there. I know what I should eat - the problem is finding the motivation to do it. I'm pretty good on exercise (in good periods, I do an hour of cardio 6-7x/week, in bad periods more like 3-4), though when I'm feeling depressed (or traveling a lot, which I do for work), that can slip. At the moment I have a broken toe, too - great excuse, right?

I'm hoping that I might find a community here of people facing similar challenges, and that might help me find the motivation to improve my own eating habits. I'm not too sure how this website, and the groups and discussions here, work, but I'm hoping I'll figure it out!

• marekdds
    Options
    Welcome to our group! Nice bunch of people here, a lot of us have similar issues. I am a big fan of eating, not such a big fan of exercise. Feel free to jump in to topics or start your own.
  • glimmersilver
    glimmersilver Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Hi everyone....my name is Lulu and I turned 65 in April. I'm a moderator of a women's group of over 50 year olds but thought this group looked like a lot of fun as well. I've been a member here since Sept of 2013 and have lost 64 lbs so far. I still have 6 or 7 to go but basically right now I'm just maintaining. I'm recovering from a hip injury and so my exercise routine shifted a bit. It's feeling much better now and so I'm gradually working back up to my normal routine and will add the deficit back in this or next week. I would like to reach my goal sometime this year..... :)

Hi Lulu, that's awesome weight loss, congratulations!

Wondering where your group for 50+ women is. I'm new here, trying to figure out how it works! I came across a few discussion lines for 50+ women but not a group. Is that the same thing?
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Hi everyone....my name is Lulu and I turned 65 in April. I'm a moderator of a women's group of over 50 year olds but thought this group looked like a lot of fun as well.
    Lulu
    Welcome to the group. I enjoy your "Fifty, Female and Fun" group. :)