Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Well done @JSC145 . That's great going and all the best for week 6.
    @maggiekat7.. wow...that's awesome that you completed the run even though you were a bit down. Really motivating! My run is tmrw evening. I usually run late evening in the park, so manage to escape the sun. Living in the UK, my usual concern is the rain, though ;)
    @scoutmomof8. Good luck with week 2!
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    Just finished week 5 day 3... kinda?

Couple thoughts...

First of all, I lasted until 18 min 30 sec but I hit a wall and even after I slowed down, couldn't go on. So turned around and walked until I caught my breath and then ran for 5 more min. Do I go onto week 6 or repeat week 5 day 3?
    Secondly, Went farther than ever and by the time I walked back to my apt, realized I did 3.2 miles in 43 min! Whoo hoo! That's 5k!

I'd suggest repeating W5D3, if only to prove to yourself that you CAN do it. The psychological boost that comes from knowing that you've managed it will be more than worth the minor amendment to your training schedule.

Thirdly, props to people who run during the day. I usually run at dawn when the sun is just starting to rise but slept late today. It was HOT and muggy.

Finally, my god, so much geese poop on the trail.

I'm in the UK, so choose to run in the late evening, when the sun is setting. I time it so I get to hear the evening birdsong and watch the bats over the lake. Goose poop?! I have to avoid MASSIVE pile of horse poo and snails!

• SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Completed W6D1 this evening and found it MUCH more of an effort than W5D3! The running part was fine but I really disliked having to alter my pace and breathing during the walking phases. And then by the time I'd become used to the different pace, it was time to change again! :s
    But the Karma Pixies were feeling particularly benevolent tonight- after the final run I looked down to discover a £5 note on the floor right by my feet :D I'm nipping off to the charity shop in my lunch break tomorrow to drop off a few "too-big" outfits ( YES! Diet is working! :D ) , so I'll see if anything vintage-y catches my eye. And because the money will be going to charity, I don't feel guilty about spending it!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    First of all, I lasted until 18 min 30 sec but I hit a wall and even after I slowed down, couldn't go on. So turned around and walked until I caught my breath and then ran for 5 more min. Do I go onto week 6 or repeat week 5 day 3?

Carry on, at the end of week 6 you'll run 22 mins so you will beat that demon anyway. The advice I would give you though it to slow down a touch more from the start. You will not have hit the wall as descibed by marathon runners you're mind will have instructed to shut down because it was in uncharted territory. Next time just tough it out, you could have gone on, especially for another 90 secs, remember the first week, it was one of those intervals you missed. You have come this far, I have confidence you can beat this if you want to. Good luck on your journey.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I did my W1D2 on Saturday, and after a horrendous time on my first outing I found this group and read up on all of the 'Tips & Tricks,' and took advice from everyone's comments, and I have to say I found it much easier, dare I say it, I actually quite enjoyed it! Thanks to everyone for the advice, I feel far more confident now going forward.
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1 is in the record books! It wasn't easy- I am still a bit sore from walking an amusement park for ten hours with my step daughter on Saturday, and also dealing with that TOM, so my mind kept telling me to quit and try again tomorrow. I did it though, and hope that Wednesday my personal conditions will be better so that I can focus more on pace.

@worldsworstsuperhero- I felt the same way about going back to intervals on Week6. Hang in there though- you only have one more interval run to conquer! Keep up the great work everyone!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I <3 this thread!
  • cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Newbie alert - W1D1 done and feeling so pleased with myself. I can't believe how much I enjoyed that!!!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done and it feels great! I looked forward to each walk break :D. Although I have to admit that I would rather not have them because my legs started to hurt when I started walking. :| I'm still doubting myself about running without walk breaks. I'm hoping that by day 3 I will be mentally prepared for week 7.

@worldsworstsuperhero ~ on more interval workout. Yikes!

@KRPolo ~kudos for completing w7d1. There was a time when I would have used all those obstacles as an excuse not to run. Its amazing what this program will do to you. :#

@cazbit ~ welcome to the group. Great job with your first run.

@CariTJR ~ I'm glad you found this group. Its full of encouragement, motivation and c25k graduates that offer really good advice. Keep posting your progress.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Second day of restart- w1d2. Managed to pull just over 2m and my pace felt better today- despite the over 90 heat. Tomorrow off and then w1d3 Friday.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Im redoing W3, so today was W3D4 and for the first time I completed it so feeling very happy.

Had @ftrobbie in my head telling me to slow down. So I slowed from my already slow pace to what felt more like a shuffle - literally the heel on my landing foot barely ahead of the toe on my other foot. However, it made a huge difference and I managed the session much more comfortably than I have before.

Im in no rush, if I have to do every week twice I really dont care, I know Ill get there in the end!
  • tbird9702
    tbird9702 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    did w2d1 last night, it was 99F out at 8:30pm. Ended up fighting a migraine all night, so I'm a bit frustrated...
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Seven am presentation at work today so skipped the morning run. Presentation went well but now feeling antsy.

Now the question is... do I squeeze in my run tonight to keep to the every other day schedule or just go tomorrow morning? I'm thinking morning.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Seven am presentation at work today so skipped the morning run. Presentation went well but now feeling antsy.

Now the question is... do I squeeze in my run tonight to keep to the every other day schedule or just go tomorrow morning? I'm thinking morning.

See how you feel this evening and then make a decision. B)
  • MissKissKins
    MissKissKins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YAYY!!!
    I've been a no show on here for a few weeks now.
    I must confess I gave up... My next W5 pod cast was saying to run for 20 minutes non stop after only having been running for 8 minutes at a time and I got scared!
    In the mean time I got myself a PT instructor and we've been working on weights and weight training, and I'd been doing some rowing as my cardio.
    Then last Wednesday I decided to just jump straight in and see what I could do on the treadmill after a few weeks of being out of action.... AND I RAN FOR 15 MINUTES NON STOP!!!!!
    So unbelievably proud of myself!!! :D:D:D
    It's not the 20 minutes the pod cast wanted and I had to slow my pace a little bit but I'm getting there.
    Considering when I began in January I couldn't run for longer than a minute without wheezing and coughing and having my chest on fire I am so proud of myself and for all of you who are making such great progress!! :)
  • MissKissKins
    Options
    YAYY!!!
    I've been a no show on here for a few weeks now.
    I must confess I gave up... My next W5 pod cast was saying to run for 20 minutes non stop after only having been running for 8 minutes at a time and I got scared!
    In the mean time I got myself a PT instructor and we've been working on weights and weight training, and I'd been doing some rowing as my cardio.
    Then last Wednesday I decided to just jump straight in and see what I could do on the treadmill after a few weeks of being out of action.... AND I RAN FOR 15 MINUTES NON STOP!!!!!
    So unbelievably proud of myself!!! :D:D:D
    It's not the 20 minutes the pod cast wanted and I had to slow my pace a little bit but I'm getting there.
    Considering when I began in January I couldn't run for longer than a minute without wheezing and coughing and having my chest on fire I am so proud of myself and for all of you who are making such great progress!! :)
  • MissKissKins
    Options
    Oops two posts sorry!
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Knocked out W2D1 last night. Noticed I went a little slower on the running part, guess knowing I had to maintain for a little longer was in my head. Pace was around 10min/mile vs the 9.5min/mile last week. Still better than sitting on the couch. :)
  • krichard08
    krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Had to take a couple weeks off of the program because I was sick and was also preparing to move my mother in with me and finally back at it last night. I completed Wk5 Day2. Holy cow! I did it without stopping but Oh MAN!! Those 8 min. segments were tough. Tomorrow is going to be interesting with the 20 minute run!!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @samhennings well done,go slower if you have to. Breaking the psychological barrier is important, You are training your mind that this is ok and not to stress out. You'll get there.

@kyedo don't be surprised over the next couple of weeks if it gets hard, you need to be able to hold a conversation during the run intervals. That is the speed you need to run at, forget the speed on the dreadmill or the gps if you are outside. It is irrelevant providing you are running. Time on feet is more important than speed or distance.

For the rest of you well done, just be positive when you go out there and be conservative on the pace, the key is to do the task, do not worry about the pace. Good luck and happy c25k ing