Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First post here. I completed week SIX this morning. I've been addicted since day 1. I can't believe six weeks ago I thought running a minute straight was hard, now I'm running 22 minutes and ecstatic once it's over.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i did my first run of week 7 today. i find it interesting how by the end of each week i'm feeling like i've conquered the program, and by the start of the new week i feel entirely different. my ego needs a diet. ;P

@samhennings - i *wasn't* a runner at the beginning of the program. i had started walking 4-6 weeks before i thought to try the c25k program. the only time i ran was to get across the street, and during that stage of my journey, the little 10-15 second run was HARD. LOL!

@fit4life_73 - congrats on your AH-HA moment! i really enjoy the runs now that the intervals are over.

@KRPolo - week 8! you're almost finished. well done!

It's great to see all the new people posting. i really enjoy reading all the updates!
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Week 7 - A bit of apprehension :/
    I seem to be so slow. I hardly completed 3 km on week 6 day 3. That's like 1.8 miles :(
    Am I doing something wrong ?!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I seem to be so slow. I hardly completed 3 km on week 6 day 3. That's like 1.8 miles :(

Probably not, people complete the 30 minutes and get a variety of distances. Do not stress it, you are doing fine. There are plenty of contributors here who will attest they are slow. Just carry on. We have parkruns in the UK where people run 5k on Saturday mornings. My local parkrun had times from 16mins to 47 mins yesterday.

You are doing great, you have been on a long journey and should take pride in how far you have come. Best wishes for the rest of your journey :)
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    W1D3 done, and feeling quite good about it. ☺
  • rainbow1974
    rainbow1974 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Week 4 day 2 today. For some reason it hasn't logged it even though I completed it and did a little yay! when she said workout complete..... can't believe I chose a run over breakfast in bed.... I feel like I am doing ok but I have to learn how to accept being slightly out of breath. I feel sometimes that I could keep going when she says start walking.... I hope that stays with me for the longer runs. I still walk faster than I run though....
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sorry for not updating for a whole week- I've been caring for my beloved cat, Katowice. After slipping into a deep sleep she died peacefully and serenely in my arms at 15:03 on Thursday, aged 21 years. I miss her so much :'(

Despite hayfever hitting me full on, giving me stinging eyes, sore throat and inflamed sinuses, I knew I had to get out there and complete this program. So here's my latest news..

Week 7 Day 1 of C25K completed! YIPPEE!

I managed the whole 25 minutes- and feel I could have lasted for much longer :)

My running buddy is away on business in Hong Kong, so my only safe option was to run by myself along a slightly busier route, in the middle of the day. I felt quite self conscious, wobbling along all by myself, looking far from elegant, and expected some negative comments, but most people were lovely! Especially when I ran up behind families and had to alert them by crying out "MAKE WAY! SWEATY LADY COMING THROUGH!" One family even shouted after me, "You can do it, honey!"

My fitness buddy has a fantastic watch that yells out when to run, when to walk, monitors time, heart rate, distance etc. I don't :(Hint Hint Bit-Fit

So I had to take my Sesame Street kitchen timer :) After 25 minutes a loud voice announced...."TIME FOR COOKIES!..... COOKIES!!... COOKIES!!!....." Made me smile :D

• SuperMelanie
    Options

I managed 25 minutes today- and when I checked it seems I only managed 3.8km. Like you, I worry that 5km seems a long way off. Then I recall that 7 weeks ago, a 3 minute run seemed impossible for me. I'm confident that in time I'll be a bit speedier and look both powerful and elegant as I run. Until then, I'm just amazed that I'm moving!!

• SuperMelanie
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Probably not, people complete the 30 minutes and get a variety of distances. Do not stress it, you are doing fine. There are plenty of contributors here who will attest they are slow. Just carry on. We have parkruns in the UK where people run 5k on Saturday mornings. My local parkrun had times from 16mins to 47 mins yesterday.

You are doing great, you have been on a long journey and should take pride in how far you have come. Best wishes for the rest of your journey :)

Thank you for all your good advice. This site should offer medals :) You've been a great mentor.

• SuperMelanie
    Options
    Hello to all the Newbies!
    We were all new to this once- I love reading all your posts.
    We're doing it, folks! By Jove, we're RUNNING!!!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    @worldsworstsuperhero sorry to hear about your cat. The kitchen timer story was funny. I start w7 tomorrow.

@maggiekat7 - woo hoo for w7d1! You are doing really great.

@KRPolo - WTG w8. Just one more week before graduation :smiley:

Week 7 starts tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

• JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Blech... week 6 day 3 today and it was terrible. I'd like to blame it on the heat and humidity and then the pouring rain that started halfway through the run. But I ended up stopping several times. I'm gonna have to do this one again.

It's so hot outside... should I try the treadmill??
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    Blech... week 6 day 3 today and it was terrible. I'd like to blame it on the heat and humidity and then the pouring rain that started halfway through the run. But I ended up stopping several times. I'm gonna have to do this one again.

Bad runs happen, don't worry about it. I'd agree that it's worth doing it again, just to show yourself you can.

Personally I loathe the dreadmill, so I'd say no.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I completed week 6! On W6D3, I ran the full 30 minutes bcos I wanted to see if I could and yes, I could B) I was no means fast and ran less than 3 miles, so for the next two weeks, I am going to run 30 minutes and try improving my speed and see if I can go further. I can't believe how much I have progressed in 6 weeks. Good luck to everyone!
    @worldsworstsuperhero..so sorry to hear about your cat...sending virtual hugs. Good that you went out and ran without your running buddy.
    @fit4life_73...Good luck with week 7, I start tmrw as well.
    @JSC145...yes, I would do it again too...maybe you could try running early morning or late when it's a bit cooler?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Sorry for not updating for a whole week- I've been caring for my beloved cat, Katowice. After slipping into a deep sleep she died peacefully and serenely in my arms at 15:03 on Thursday, aged 21 years. I miss her so much :'(

So I had to take my Sesame Street kitchen timer :) After 25 minutes a loud voice announced...."TIME FOR COOKIES!..... COOKIES!!... COOKIES!!!....." Made me smile :D

Sorry to read about your loss, 21 years is a great age for a cat.

What a great announcement to stop running. Brought a smile to me too. :D

Well done and keep going.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »

Sorry you had a bad run. I only run on the treadmill. So I would say give it a try if you can't find a cooler time.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    @samra338 - great job with running past your time. Welcome to week 7
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Thank you so very much. This is very reassuring :smile:
  • archanajoyce
    edited June 2015
    Options

I managed 25 minutes today- and when I checked it seems I only managed 3.8km. Like you, I worry that 5km seems a long way off. Then I recall that 7 weeks ago, a 3 minute run seemed impossible for me. I'm confident that in time I'll be a bit speedier and look both powerful and elegant as I run. Until then, I'm just amazed that I'm moving!!

@worldsworstsuperhero
    Sorry about Katowice. It is very hard to lose a member of the family. Sending out virtual hugs and love.

I explicitly remember that feeling when I completed my three minute run and thought 'What just happened? :o ' lol. We've done good haven't we? Let me get out there and complete my Week 7 Day 1 tonight :)

P.S: I love this group <3
  • emmaleeannL
    emmaleeannL Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Delurking here. It's great to read everyone's stories.

I did w6d3 today...again. Redid w6d1 since the first w6d3 was awful. Went great this time, even ran 1 minute longer. I'm at a turtle pace, but that's okay. Plan to start week 7 next run.