Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Wheatless, are you doing straight meativore right now, no veg?

I'm not eating vegetables, but have had macadamia nuts and avocados sometimes. A bit of sour cream and cream cheese. But mostly meat.

Edited to say I get tired of simply meat. I was always a veggie/fruit lover.

Look up Alton Brown's avocado butter. It might get you a bit of variety in flavor. I've also made mushroom sauce by sautéing them in butter, adding broth, and blending.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    Ellen, I really feel for you having had minimal results. I keep thinking something has to kick in sometime and show a change for you. That pound you lost is so precious and is a well earned victory.

I can't remember if I asked you already if you drink enough water ? I increased my water intake dramatically and had good results.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Ellen, I really feel for you having had minimal results. I keep thinking something has to kick in sometime and show a change for you. That pound you lost is so precious and is a well earned victory.

I can't remember if I asked you already if you drink enough water ? I increased my water intake dramatically and had good results.

Yes, big glasses of water all day long. Recently I did a 24 hr collection for the dr and I had to use a second container. The nurse was like, whaaaa?? :D

• wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

Look up Alton Brown's avocado butter. It might get you a bit of variety in flavor. I've also made mushroom sauce by sautéing them in butter, adding broth, and blending.

Thanks, Twibbly. They both sound nice. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Playing catch up, once again! :smile:
    @Karen, I worked a 32 hour weekend when I first got married, 23 years ago. I don't believe I could do it now. That level of exhaustion can be tough! Glad you were able to get back on the horse!
    @Janice, gardening can be so relaxing. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your hard work when you are able. It must have been a blast to see old co-workers and their reactions to your weight loss! Good for you! :smiley:
    @Pam and Pedi, welcome! This is a great group of ladies here! Glad you are here! :smile:
    @Cindy, love the hammock! Looks so nice in your garden! What did you figure out with the hornets nest? Eeek!
    @May, I'm still too scared to get on the scale, but I will get there, soon. The headaches are under control right now. The magnetic necklace that was recommended has helped. Now I am being put through the ropes by a physical therapist three times a week. She is aggressive with her treatment and has left me sore, but tolerable so (thankfully). Who knows, I may be able to stop the Botox treatments if things keep improving, as they have been. :smiley:
    @Rebecca, so glad Bill didn't hit too hard!
    @Ellen, I'm proud of you for sticking with it! Even when you could have thrown in the towel, you haven't. I hope by not eating to macros helps you! Hugs!

I am sticking with meativore. I did have a few cherries this week without any problems, but some blueberries were not kind, at all! Too many carbs in the cherries though, and the way my body didn't like the blueberries keeps me eating meat, and I'm happy here. Haven't been logging but keeping a rough tab in my head and am keeping below 10 carbs daily. Calories at around 1400. I learned so much about the foods I eat through logging here that I feel I can test the waters. How many times do I really need to log a ribeye, eggs and bacon anyway? I just began to feel like I wasn't gaining new knowledge through logging.
    I have my official 30th high school reunion this weekend. Am looking forward to visiting with some people I haven't seen in a very long time! Have a great weekend everybody! :smiley:
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    No time to reply to everyone right now. I feel as if my feet haven't touched the ground this week, but it's been happy-busy. However, I came across this in my old Overeaters Anonymous paperwork (that I'm throwing out, because I now know the truth that's it's only sugar and grains that are addictions) but it's beautiful and I felt it applied to this group.

Please ignore any parts that you don't feel apply...

I put my hand in yours and together we can do what we could never do alone. No longer is there a sense of hopelessness, no longer must we each depend upon our own unsteady willpower. We are all together now, reaching out our hands for power and strength greater than ours, and as we join hands, we find love and understanding beyond our wildest dreams.
    Rozanne S 1968 Overeaters Anonymous Inc.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! OMG, I dont know where to start!!! lolol. I cant keep up!

I guess firstly ...welcome to our new girls! We are so happy to see new faces here and even if you dont post much we are always here for you and you will find love and support and celebrations here when ever you need them. :)

@Ellen, oh sweety I am so sorry you have been sooooo good and are still not getting results. I think not logging until you have eaten and following hunger is a good way to go. Also...add veggies! If you like them and it makes this WOE sustainable for you why not. Its supposed to be something we are comfortable with long term and that includes veggies and whatever makes you happy and satisfied. Maybe you have been too restrictive for your body! I must say that when I did Atkins in the past I never counted cals....just kept carbs around 20 and after a while not even those and I always lost weight even post menopausally. Maybe we are using TOO big a microscope???? You wont lose us! We are still going to be here with you.
    I nearly forgot! Soooo happy your son is having a good result from the change to his eating! Only hubby to get on board now! ;)

@canadjineh...that rhubarb! Blimey! Thats huge. In the UK the best thing to feed rhubarb is apparently Bull(horse) s**t!!! Does this mean you have a good supply on hand???? :);):)

@ Karla,,, yaaay, I dont know anyone with the same birthday as me! Be interesting to compare personality notes...I have a theory that people born around the same date do share personality traits! We were both nurses for a start!
    Lol, dont feel bad about enjoying the time when you are 'free'. Makes you appreciate them all the more when you do see them!

@pam in swansea.....my Grandmother came from Nanty Moel! Guess the surname???Lol. Nope not Jones...Evans! Doesnt get much more Welsh does it! lol

@ Janice your 'yard' sounds lovely and really managable and theraputic not to mention your mums too. The only negative sounds to be the mozzies. Is Canada full of mozzies everywhere??? :/
    The trip to your old work place must have been such a boost! Im so glad you did that and got some really good feedback about the new you! When you havent seen people for a while and they notice its so much better than wondering why people we see each day cant!

@ May seems like things are getting back to normal now David is back to work. Funny how long it takes us to catch up on 'normal' things when the men have been around for any length of time! We are still waiting for your craft photos from your 'honeymoon' time!
    That quote you put made me cry! I think its so true though and thats what this group is...such a blessing and support! Before I had hubby and that was it now I have all you too! lol, he does give me earache sometimes because in his eyes I'm 'typing an essay on the laptop or glued to the mobile all the time with your group'. Awww, hes feeling left out! He does the same with different things too but that is different of course!!! Hehehe.

This is a weird time in Dubai. Everything is upside down with timings etc as Ramadan has started and all the Malls(meaning our shop) change their opening times so they open later and close later and the production units times change to working at night so those fasting are not being too active in this heat. This means we are working until 4am and sleeping from 5am but we get up at 11. Grab some sleep late afternoon if we can for a couple of hours. Even after 2 nighst I feel out of sorts sleepwise. My bladder is my enemy! I slept at 5, got up at 7 for a wee, slept until 10.30 then had to go again!!! Argghh. That was it, I was awake. Usually we settle in and it improves and we carry on the night work for a month past Ramadan as with chocolate its easier to work in the cooler hours. Kinder on the workers and the chocolate! :):)

Hubby is quite taken with the idea of doing a Sugarless?Low carb shop/cafe here! We found one that was opened recently and went to look at it! It seems their sole action is to use Stevia instead of sugar but flour etc etc is still everywhere in their things and it was about 10% of the cakes , cookies etc. Trouble is..is there enough awareness or desire for it here??? They have a very high level of diabetes and IR here but the 'influencers' are still in the stone age!!!! Ah well. We shall see.

Update on my recumbent exercise bike....hasnt been delivered! When hubs asked yesterday he was told...it wont be delivered before sunday! The guy didnt put the order in until yesterday!! Arrgghhhh. Sunday is hubs birthday so he will get it as a prezzie and give it to me,lol. Going to make him a low carb cake! havent decided what yet! Hmmm.

uulxf4gc6jj8.jpg
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi @Granniemayoz, my avatar is a cute zodiac sign I found for Capricorn, my birthday is 26th December, 65 this year, I live in Port Talbot Wales. I am a jump on the scales every day person ;) and at the moment although consuming about 20- 25 carbs a day still losing 1lb a day. <3 I do try to keep my cals around 1200 also, I have a dog and a huge field behind me where I walk her about 6 times a day, on my pedometer app it shows as between 2 and 3 miles a day depending on weather B) .
    I tend to eat my first meal about noon but can be later, if it is I make that my main meal of the day, today planning fish, broccoli might spiralize it, and possibly cauli mash, and for my later evening meal have either fruit and cream or a sugar free, no carb jelly, every night I go to bed with a 20g portion of 85% chocolate, which Maddie (dog) and I share while I read my book. It`s working for me, so if it ain`t broke don`t fix it.
    I would love to get some feedback from other ladies on recipe ideas for one.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome @jumanajane :D
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    OH! Sorry I missed this one...been busy helping the neighborhood lay out compost!!

My first name is... Jenn

I chose my username because... I used to play a card game called spades...where you can try and go "Nill" by taking no "tricks" or winning no hands...you get extra points for "losing"...so it seemed appropriate.

My birthday day and month is...29-March

My favourite LCHF meal is...Steak and mushrooms....with butter.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    No time to reply to everyone right now. I feel as if my feet haven't touched the ground this week, but it's been happy-busy. However, I came across this in my old Overeaters Anonymous paperwork (that I'm throwing out, because I now know the truth that's it's only sugar and grains that are addictions) but it's beautiful and I felt it applied to this group.

Please ignore any parts that you don't feel apply...

I put my hand in yours and together we can do what we could never do alone. No longer is there a sense of hopelessness, no longer must we each depend upon our own unsteady willpower. We are all together now, reaching out our hands for power and strength greater than ours, and as we join hands, we find love and understanding beyond our wildest dreams.
    Rozanne S 1968 Overeaters Anonymous Inc.

Oh Granny..... xoxoxo
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    That's so beautiful May ! It hits the nail on the head, that's what this is all about. Winnie the Pooh said, "It's so much friendlier with two...", but this group takes it way beyond that. We are not alone on this quest and that means so much ! WE will succeed together and be stronger, happier people as a result. Love you all !
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    May, wonderful reading from OA.

Things gong pretty steady for me right now. This weekend, I am going to make chicken pate' and homemade mayo.

@ Twibbly, isn't it nice that we are getting some rain? I heard that the oil boom is subsiding a bit. Is the traffic on Midland-Odessa still heavy? happy Juneteenth,

Oh, May my BDay is Jan 29.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend. Oh, Juneteenth is June 19 and is the day that the emancipation proclamation came to TX to free the slaves. Some communities have great celebrations. Parades, cookouts, etc.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @May, what a beautiful quote from OA! I remember my mother going to her meetings when I was young. Hope you get to slow down a bit, but isn't it great to have the energy needed to get it done!
    @Jane, I imagine the heat is tough on chocolate! I never thought about having to rotate the hours of work according to the heat. That's pretty darn hot!
    @Jennifer, your mfp name brought me some childhood memories :-). We used to always play cards and spades was a regular game.
    @Janice, I think, and talk about, all of you regularly. You have all become such a big part of my life! Much love for you too!
    @Pedidiva, I'm happy that Texas is getting some of the rain it needs too. The drought has been devastating from what I've seen on the news.

Okay y'all. A terribly tragedy occurred in Charleston, South Carolina. The evil in this world is scary! For anyone to do this to another human being is breaking my heart! What has happened to loving one another? This is a hard one for me to stop thinking about! Plus, I feel that they are already giving him too much time on air. They should be celebrating the lives of the people he murdered, not talking about him. Twisted up world we are living in!

Hugs everybody! <3
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    @May <3 Thank you for that lovely quote. I think you hit the nail on the head.

@Jane You may be right about my being too restrictive. Now that my ZC trial is almost over, I'll probably add a few vegs when they appeal to me and see what happens. I wasn't eating many before ZC, but a few here and there will add some interest to my meals. Will have to see how my tummy responds. ;) Salads don't make it very happy.

@Karla Hope you see a return to your low when you get back on that scale. I know it will come, and hope it doesn't dawdle! I totally get not logging on ZC; it seems pointless and tedious when it's basically meat. I think logging meat is pretty inaccurate anyway. It's impossible to find just the right thing in the diary. Have fun at your school reunion!

@Pam Glad to have you in the group--it sounds like you have a good routine going for yourself! One gentle fyi: I've been told by a vet that chocolate isn't good for dogs, can be quite harmful. You may want to check that out for yourself to see what you think.

I don't know what I'd do without the care and support you ladies give so freely. I know I would have thrown in the towel by now. Thanks for encouraging me to keep on track! <3<3 Sometimes I think my body is too old and too stuck to respond to this WOE and I may as well resign myself to the fact that I will never lose weight. They'll need a crane to haul my casket out of the church. (At least I'll be spared the embarrassment of being there--hahaha!) Still, I have a bit of a tenacious hope left that believes that one fine day a switch will flip and the loss will begin. Please, let it be soon. If you all have any brilliant ideas or words of wisdom on how I can do this better, speak up!!! :)
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @Karla--it is tragic. So terribly sad. :'(
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi -- completely new to the low-carber forum and happy to have found it thanks to the kindness & private invite of a member -- it's very nice to be in a place with nice people!

I decided in March that I did not want to be in the 210's when I turn 60 in November -- I have yo-yoed in a 15 lb range since 2006 -- never able to gain enough traction to motivate me for the long-haul it would take to really get down.

On March 11 I made 3 major changes: 1) no processed foods -- I try to eat fresh, organic, grass-fed whenever possible; 2) no grains (except rice) & 3) taking probiotics. (I continued to chart/graph/weigh/measure everything because I want to gather a lot of data about what I'm doing, to help me with maintainence when I get there.)

And -- it feels like a total miracle! -- I have lost 26 lbs since March. I am losing weight at a faster rate than I did 12 years ago, during my last big weight loss effort and even though I'm now post-menopause! And I am not starving, trying to get through the day -- I feel as if I could eat/live this way for the rest of my life!

In the past I have done zero AND very low-carb but I honestly don't feel good on it. Over the past 15 weeks my carb intake has averaged around 77 grams, mostly veggies or rice or sweet potatoes, and about 1-2 tsp of raw honey a day.

I came across Paul Jaminet's "The Perfect Health Diet" last year -- he's basically low-carb but with the addition of what he calls "safe carbs" -- ones that don't shoot your blood sugar way up if you eat them in 1/2 cup portions once or twice a day -- and I do feel better having these occasionally.

Last spring I told an older lady in our church choir that I was trying to lose weight -- and she said "yes, when I was your age I decided I didn't want to be my age +100" (ie, 160.) I didn't have the heart to tell her that 160 is just about my goal weight! Guess it's all relative!

Anyway, that's me! Happy to be here!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Welcome @emmaps55 ! This is the best group here, you'll get lots of support.

I talk about this group too in my real life. I call you all "my Ladies".

Oh Jane, thanks for the squirrels ! I have the grey kind in my yard....and up my trees and along the fence, and pitter pattering across my roof.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hi all, welcome newbies your gonna love it here. I have decided that I'm just plain lazy. I don't even get enjoyment from cooking any more, so that leads to cooked chicken any ordering out for steaks and such. This simply must come to an end, cost too damn much money to order Longhorn. Hope all of you are doing well. @Ellen just keep the faith, it will turn around. @Janice we needs pics of your garden. It will inspire us. @Jumana, Dubai how exciting to just be there. Would love to hear all about it. Well gotta run, see ya soon. Another working weekend is here.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @jumanajane - I wouldn't dream of putting anything on the rhubarb or it would grow to overtake the house, lol. I totally ignore it until it's time to pull stalks. No extra watering, weeding, feeding, babying of any sort. We also have a lovely crabapple tree that gives us tangy good sized apples (not sure of the variety) with an almost burgundy colour and they taste like Sour Patch gummy candies. Makes wonderful jelly - we give them away to friends who are into jelly after we have eaten our fill of them fresh. That's the extent of my food gardening right now. We used to have a garden but DH & I work too much to fiddle with it, and when we got home the garden was low on our list of interests. There's just the two of us so it's not a savings out here (except in rhubarb, hahaha) and we have lots of neighbours & friends who actually LIKE to garden and have extra produce to pass on to us.

Seems like during Ramadan, you have the same sort of schedule as I, haha. All night work here - security - last night was a 12 hour shift on a construction site. The next 4 nights are 8 hour City Patrol - so it will seem so short after last night.

Hi to everyone! I read & catch up, but don't comment on everyone's post. Don't feel left out :/ .