Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,071 Member
    Thanks for tucking us in May !
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Thank you @GrannyMayOz! I like to look at maps (maybe weird, I don't know), and I looked at Perth today out of curiosity. Is there really only two ways to travel to eastern Australia? Looks rather difficult, too, full of deserts and national parks to navigate around. You live in north Perth? Just curious! I am actually in the central, southern US. I am two hours later than Seattle. It's almost that 10pmish bedtime for me. Have a great day! :D
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Sleep well @Kitn <3

I love maps too Karlotta, they're fascinating. And yes, only 2 ways to get east by road, or 1 by rail - or fly. 5 hours flight to Sydney, 3½ to Adelaide or Melbourne, 5½ to Brisbane (and all of them longer on the way back). The northern road route is usually part of the grande circuit, traditionally done by a large number of pensioners with caravans who take a couple of months (or as much as a year) to go round the whole country. They're referred to as the 'Grey Army' and we hope to do it one day. Other than Alice Springs and Uluru (Ayers Rock) there's not a lot in the middle of Oz at all.

Yes, I'm in the northern suburbs of Perth - Kinross. We have relatives in Lake Charles, Louisiana. There seem so many southern-part-of-Americans here on MFP it surprises me.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Good morning/afternoon/evening all. Just shows, you cant leave a day without so much happening and its really nice to see its positive! Do you know ladies that in the last couple of weeks, when you read back, the comments and changes have pretty well be all positive changes...in health and diet! Soooo good to think about! Yes, the odd/usual drop and gain but overall we are all on the up(or down in weight terms,lol) Yaaaay.

Yesterday hubby decided to take the day off and we drove out of Dubai. We are on the Arabian Gulf and we drove across the country to the other side which is the Gulf of Oman and Indian Ocean. We wound through beautiful desert where the sand dunes form the most beautiful waves and colours according to light and shadow and, intriguingly, different colours of sand. Then we went through the mountains which are actually very barren and boring,lol, to come out at the otherside and see lots of palm trees and turqoise seas again. We drove through a little place called Dibba that looks to be at the base of another range of mountains on the little bit of Oman thats right at the tip of the peninsular(how did that end up totally separate from the rest of Oman??lol) I had always wanted to go through but.....the border stopped us! Looks like there is quite a bit more land before you hit the mountains. They do a lot of boat trips out there as its like Ffjords apparently and you can often see dolphins etc but we havent got around to that yet.
    Then we retraced our steps and drove home. Nothing really exciting but oh so nice to get a change of scene and relax and chat about things other than work! lol.
    Sad to say that we didnt see any camels roaming across the desert. I love camels and it always used to be fun spotting them and there were loads but there is so much development across UAE now that they must have been driven futher away from the roads etc. Not a good sign.

I love the desert and seas here but I do loooooong for mountains and trees and greenery!

Its absolutely typical that on our rare day away from Dubai that it should be the day when my body decides to release a lot of fluid! Nice toilet facilities are not that frequent away from the city! Lolol. Plenty of tissues, wet wipes and water are stock equipment for a day out!! Happy to report 800gm drop today though!

@May, my hubby prefers to work in the evening/night so we also dont sleep until 1 or 2, get up around 10-11 and have brunch and supper! The rest of the world here starts around 6 so we are often at odds timing-wise with businesses here!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Good morning/evening, ladies. This was an early one for me; couldn't get back to sleep at 2:30am. Also up another .8 lb for good measure.

Dubai sounds like an interesting but challenging place to live. Jane, I'm glad you had your little getaway for a change of scenery. It refreshes the soul, doesn't it? I'm like you, I love trees and green and cool breezes. Much rather be cold than hot and cozy up to a blanket rather than a fan.

Are any of you doing the meativore challenge? I used to eat lots of vegetables, but it's dwindled down to very little most days. I'm gradually going heavier on the meat, so I think I'll just stick with that instead of going full zero carb. I had almost decided to do it, but still have a nagging question about needing the vegetable nutrients and whether zero carb would cause an increase in cortisol and still prevent weight loss. Surely nobody ever remained obese because they ate spinach or broccoli.
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited April 2015
    Oh wow Jane, how awesome to read about your trip and look at the map to see where you went! I see what you mean about the dis-located Oman 'tip'. How odd! Maybe it's too mountainous and nobody could be bothered fighting to take it? I can see some degree of colour change in the sands from the GoogleEarth view, it looks amazing! There's an island I can see, Marjan Island I think. When zoomed out quite a long way it looks like someone creeping along with arms stretched forward ready to say "BOO!!!" to Al Jazirah.

Oh dear about the toilet breaks. I presume they have squat toilets even when they are available? I get a bit paranoid about journeys with no guarantee of comfort along the way. We had a situation in Bali that was agonising for David. He asked the taxi driver to find a loo during a journey and it was nearly an hour before he (acting as if it was almost impossible to do!) found one in a petrol station. I was as uncomfortable as David, knowing how bad he was feeling :(

However, I'm really happy that you both got a day off and a relaxing trip! Does the work day start so early there to avoid the heat? Are Dubaites the siesta kind? I was wondering how your chocolate ships under the heat conditions there.

Congrats on that weight drop though, wow!
  • Kitnthecat
    Hello ladies. I feel like a world traveler reading about the regions where you all live.....so exotic compared to where I live. I could use some heat and palm trees and ocean. There is frost on the ground today and I will have to scrape my windows before I drive to work soon.

Went to Red Lobster last night to send off my daughter's friend back home to Nova Scotia. I was wondering if we'd find something suitable to eat, but we did pretty well. My daughter Maia chose traditional foods even though she wants to try keto, and my daughter Anna who pretty much eats mostly keto, chose crab legs with lots of butter and double broccoli with more butter for dipping. I had salmon with plain shrimp and broccoli...and extra butter. It just goes to show you that even at a chain restaurant, the servers should be able to accommodate special requests. It's getting easier to omit the starchy stuff from the plate, but always as easy to bump up the fat. Hurray for melted butter !
  • KarlaYP
    Hello all! Hope y'all are having a great day, or slumber, wherever you are in this beautiful world of ours!

@GrannyMayOz, the driving trip around Oz sounds like such an amazing journey! I hope to get to visit one day! I do understand the remoteness you have mentioned after looking at the map closer. Will be looking for Kinross! Our perceptions of populations are skewed by the media. I'm afraid that us southerners have been portrayed as unrefined (a nicer way of putting it) and the perceptions are drawn from that. We are not what you see on tv. I may use y'all, but that's to keep from typing two words, instead of one, lol! I've always known the misperception exists, because I am part of it. Lake Charles is about a four hour drive, due west of me. Is your husband's family in the oil industry? Seems that many from there are, though that is my perception, lol! Ha!

@Jumanajane, what a great way to spend the day! Sounds lovely! Glad you were able to take a day with your husband with no worries (other than bathroom facilities, lol!). Sorry you didn't see any camel! Is that something you would see there, wild camel? Neat! Of course that's coming from someone who has only seen them in the zoo. I will be looking at you on a map today too, lol. Kudos on your weight loss too!

@wheatlessgirl66, I plan to do the meativore challenge. I have been doing it this past week without any added problems. I don't miss the veggies though. I understand some will, but not me.

@kitnthecat, glad you were able to enjoy your time with your daughter and her friend, and shared a good meal at Red Lobster. I find servers are willing to accommodate customers requests much easier, now, than it used to be. I'm sure they hear some funky requests, but no bread yet extra butter should be easy for them! Hope tournament too sore from all of the inside, and outside, work you did this weekend!

No plans for me today. I'm sure my son (18 year old senior in high school) will have some requests after getting home from school. We are in the process of getting his graduation announcements ready to go in the mail. Hubby is off today, but he always sleeps late (10am). So, I'm getting my support group on with y'all! Have an amazing day/night everybody!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Hello All, I love reading about everyone's experiences. What an amazingly diverse group. A lot of you are in places that sound a whole lot more interesting than Missouri. I hadn't realized it but it must be why Mike and I travel so much.

Mike teaches in a study abroad program at the University here. We'll be heading out to Italy for a month. I'm concerned. It sure doesn't seem like a place to be kind to LCHF, so we'll see how I do.

I've actually been to OZ and loved it. We spent some time in Sydney, gone to Daintree and Ulhuru. It was impressive to see how rural most of the middle of the country is. We had a great time.

I keep thinking that I'm not losing weight. I suppose I just need to be patient. The days of losing 5 lbs in a week are long gone. I should have weighed in on the first day but didn't. I couldn't bear the truth so here I am. I'm trying to get past the idea of "weight loss" to the idea of "healthy." Think it possible?

Today is book club day. I haven't read the book but I'll go anyway as the discussions are usually pretty lively. I like the social aspect of the club but I hate being told what to do. My inner teenager takes over and refuses to do her homework.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    @May, lolol, no not all squat toilets. There is usually some of both or 'western'. Only occasionally squat ones in older buildings. The usual problem is other peoples lack of care in leaving them clean for the next person! A lot of schools here start around 7 or 7.30 and school buses can start collecting kids at 6 in some areas! Most office etc keep normal hours and shops too especially in the Malls which open at 10 and shut at 11 or 12pm. In some of the older areas with large Indian businesses they do *kitten* from 1.30-4.00 but they dont close until 10 so....In the other Emirates that are not as 'blingy' as Dubai a lot do keep'siesta' hours. We just cant do it,lol. Not in us.

@ Kitn, please send me some frost and some pics so I can dream! Lol. Well done on your healthy choices at Red Lobster. So nice isnt it to be social AND keep to keto and you are rocking it now! Is your back fully recovered now btw?

@ Karlottap....yep, wild camels are very common or were! The Locals love camels though and often keep large numbers for racing them. Its odd driving along and seeing a train of camels wandering along with riders on their backs exercising like you would see race horses elsewhere. I just love them. So full of character!!

Ok ladies...are you ready for a shock???? I got off my big, fat, bum today and did 45 minutes of Walking to the Hits with Leslie Sansone!!!! YES!! Lololol. Finally! My muscles are already aching today so God Knows what thursday will be like!!! Lolol.

Btw, May, when everyone says that skin etc goes south after menopause where do Aussies say it goes???? Hehehe
  • Kitnthecat
    It warmed up here later in the day, I think about 18 C, but at work today in our basement offices, we had the heater on. I've got to find my Dad's camera and figure out how to work it. You might have to wait until next winter Jane, before I can send you frosty pics. I dream of warmth right now. I can hardly wait to sit out in the sunshine and get all toasted. We pride ourselves where I come from, to be able to take the cold, but I may do better in a warmer climate, especially with my hypothyroidism.

No my back is not fully recovered. I'm sore today, especially my right shoulder. I think I could have taken it a bit easier this weekend. I do think I recover better these days, and I am glad that chiro will help. I think I felt that as long as I am still covered for chiropractic through my insurance, it would be OK to do the yard work etc. Putting the bookcase together was pretty hard, as well as dragging it up my steep stairs to my bedroom. Oh well, I'm sore, but still proud of myself that I did it all by myself.

I love hearing everyone's stories, keep them coming.

This month I have seen my weight fluctuate, and with highs and lows all over the place, I think I'm basically right at the same weight I was at 4 wks ago, or a little bit less, I'm not sure....but it's not too much lighter. But my clothes are looser. Did I tell you how my pants were falling down while I was raking my front yard ? I almost fell when I tripped on the bottoms of my pant legs as my pants were falling down lower than I figured they'd go. I stumbled across my walkway and righted myself just before I fell. I felt so stupid, but it was kind of cool too. Never had loose clothes before.
  • GrannyMayOz
    @Kitn - did you notice that you managed to save yourself when you tripped? Is that a new experience for you? It was for me last time I tripped.

@Everyone - I'll write more later. We're about to start our day and get out and do the errands. It's raining here!!! 2 months into Autumn and it's been several weeks since we got any rain. It sounds so pretty and the light is beautiful for photography tee hee! Still t.shirt weather outside though.
  • Kitnthecat
    Yes I saved myself and did not fall, almost like slipping on the ice and not falling.....it still kind of jars the body and can be sometimes worse than an actual fall. But I'm OK, thanks May. I do feel a bit stronger and more able bodied now.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    @Kitnthecat I find warmth & sunshine seem to make me feel better with the Hashimoto's too. I figure moving to a warmer climate would make my wild, out of control hair better, too. My husband disagrees though. Saskatchewan winters suck.
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Morning lovely ladies, I'm sadly not very travelled in the world. Apart from a 15 year stint in India (we moved there when I was 15) I've lived here near London. I empathise with those toilet stops, @jumanajane it used to be like that in India.

I'm extra hungry this morning, not sure what that's all about. Think its the weather turning grey and dull. Might get my winter coat out again.
  • KarlaYP
    Good morning, or evening, wherever you are!

@Kitnthecat, I have a hard time with cold weather too! I'm just glad I live (south Mississippi) where it doesn't get too cold. The warmer days have been so nice! Loose clothing can be a challenge, at times. Be careful with them. I understand the pain to the body from when you almost fall. It can be almost as bad as if you fell! Makes everything sore! Hope you are recovering from all of your physical exertions!

@GrannyMayOz, :)

@spush, hungry days will show up, out of nowhere. Try to drink some extra water or try distracting yourself with a walk or reading...good luck with your day!

Spent the evening helping my son get his graduation announcements ready to mail, we are going to my mother's today to get more addresses that I don't have. Then we watched some Supernatural on Netflix. We are binge watching the whole series. This is how we watch most television these days. I have watched many shows I've never seen before between Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go, we don't run out of things to watch that way. Still no weight loss, but no gain either. My body is fighting hard to hold on , but I will be the victor in this fight! Hugs everyone! :D
  • KarlaYP
    Not sure how to edit my last post, so going to update here. This will be Tmi, but we all do it so here goes. I reported no weight loss earlier, but I had the "urge" for bathroom time. After, I decided to get on the scale again and dropped 1lb. That's 26 total in just over three months. Btw: that's a weight of 205.4 and I am so ready to see a weight that starts with a 1!! Though I will get there! GrannyMayOz will probably be able to hear me when I do, lol! :)
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    tracyjprez wrote: »
    Hi GrannyMayOz and Ladies! I just wanted to pop in to say how happy I am to have found this group! I'm 53 and am finding it so difficult to lose the weight now that I've gone through menopause! I found Atkins in my early 20's and lost 30 pounds in 3 months. It was amazing. I've tried it several times over the years since and it just hasn't gotten me the same results.

I've been all over the map (I know, I know!) with my diet, trying to find something that works. Most recently I was doing LFHC/The Starch Solution. But that didn't help me lose any weight...and I found that I was easily exhausted with low energy and out of breath much more than I would like, so I (once again) researched the Ketogenic (LCHF) diet and am re-convinced of the health benefits of it. I've been on this WOE since April 6th...and have GAINED about 6 pounds. Ugh! I was down to 191 following a 10 day cleanse (a couple of months ago I was hovering around 203...which really freaked me out!) but as of this morning I'm back up to 197 and I'm really discouraged...but FAR from defeated! I absolutely believe in the science behind this WOE. But I'm not at all happy about the weight gain. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, since I am being pretty careful to not eat more carbs than I should. I AM eating dairy...limited nuts...and intentionally high fat (good fats...Kerrygold butter, MCT oil, coconut oil) but I'm still not losing. I HATE the idea that I might have to calorie restrict and/or cut out dairy.

I would sure welcome any thoughts from some of you who might have similar experience with this, have figured it out, and are now having success! I'm trying to keep my macros at about 75% fat, 20% Protein, 5% carbohydrate.

This hormonal change sure is a pain in the butt!!!

Thank you for posting this. I am in the same situation so I especially appreciate your update and solution. I,m sure many other ladies do as well. I sure am glad there is this group!
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    What are everyone's hobbies other than low carb? Photos welcome. Post something about what you do in your leisure time. If you wish...

I did silk ribbon embroidery a few years ago and here's my favourite achievement. It has a wooden frame and glass covering and is made to sit on a coffee table rather than be hung from the wall.

bib0ihscud5x.jpg

Detail of one corner...
    bn120iky9kmj.jpg

I love silk ribbon embroidery! The texture and all. I even tried it once or twice so I can respect the craft. Beautiful work!