Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Ceci could you try using stationary bikes at the gym and either the indoor running track or a dreadmill and do intervals on each for an hour at moderate pace 5 mins running, 5 mins cycling. I'm sure like most things the more you do it the more familiar and easier it will become. Hope it gets easier soon. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea, robbie- might have to try that the next time I'm rained in! I've been telling myself I would do a brick at least once a week, but that doesn't always happen.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Update from the last few days. Fridays interval session scrapped again, so did a 5 mile easy paced session instead, knowing that I was going to push on a parkrun on Saturday. parkrun on Saturday was great, over the last few runs I have gone off too fast and died in the last mile. Yesterday managed to do negative splits and that ended in my 3rd fastest 5k time. Felt really good, as opposed to the disappointment and pain of just running out of gas. The next competitive parkrun in 2 weeks time I have a slightly better pacing plan. Went out for the last long run this morning before next weekend, got half way round and just cramped up. I knew I felt dehydrated but had not appreciated how bad it was. I am beginning to think that I have overdone running/ racing with the 2 HMs in the last 5 weeks, both effectively PBs. Need to plan the next cycle a little better so that I get enough rest as well as pushing the boundaries to get the adaptations required for the FM. The positive was that I had the courage to stop rather than keep pushing on and doing some real damage. Legs feel really tired so am going to enjoy the planned day off tomorrow.

Hope your runs are going well. Have fun
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your day off Robbie, sounds like you deserve it.

I did a 5k trail run on Wednesday, was sore while running and worse when I stopped, though not as sore as before. Foam rolled and that seemed to help. Today ran 6km on the road with no pain, a bit sore now I have stopped but not too bad. Will foam roll later.

Robbie, it might be something to do with my road shoes, the ones that fit well I mainly just use on trails and some short road runs. I have taken the insoles out of my road shoes and they feel to fit better so I am persisting with them for my longer road runs, plus they make me run so much faster I am loathe to give them up!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @romyhorse Thanks. I hope removing/ changing the insoles helps. You deserve a break with your injury so hope that it allows you to keep your "fast" shoes. I am beginning to realise how tolerant my feet are to different shoes as I have never seemed to have had a problem other than trying to move away from heel striking.

Have fun and be safe
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    No running for me lately, but I did complete a 100k bike ride on Saturday!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Woke up an hour and a half before my alarm this morning, so I went to the park for a run. Even at 6 AM it was already hot and muggy, but I managed 5.5 miles in just under 57 minutes with 261 feet of elevation change.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Snow in winter and blazing sun in the summer, way to go on getting out there and getting it done. The weather is definitely not kind to you.

Returned to a tempo finish session this morning, slow to get going but good towards the end. Perspired profusely and freely, it was hard work. Having a day off yesterday really helped but glad to get out this morning. A couple of easy light days coming up then a sprint session Friday followed by a sports massage. Saturday tail running (walking) at the local parkrun and Humber on Sunday. Action packed week coming up.

Have fun everyone
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I could have sworn I updated here after my VO2Max testing, but obviously not.
    Robbie, good to see you being wise in your decisions about aborting runs if they aren't working, you're still getting some good sessions in mate and overall you're doing well. :)
    Ceci, 100k on the bike, that's a good session, I think you're right about the brick sessions using the different muscles, good work for getting out for a morning run :)
    Romy, I hope you can find the solution to your injury woes. Have you considered going to a sports physio for an assessment? It could provide the insight you need to get over them.

Ok, so my runs of late. Friday was the vVO2 Max testing. Interesting test, I bailed during the 18km/h interval of the test as I could feel myself nearing vomit threshold and had my left hammy niggling at me. I didn't want to vomit into the breathing snorkel, or over the treadmill and trying to block out/push through both the unhappy tummy and the hammy niggle just wasn't worth it. I VO2max of 62 apparently, at 17km/h (3:30min/km). I'd love to do the test again, maybe with a little food a few hours before hand. I demolished an entire bag of chips on the way home.
    Saturday was my 50th parkrun, I went out fast and stuck maybe 20m behind a guy running at like 4:05pace for the first 1500m or so, before my hammy told me where to go again. Legs were still trashed from the VO2 testing, so it ended up being a run/walk parkrun for me.
    Monday was my ZR5K double, where I nearly hit 10miles. Good session for the most part. A few niggles from the calf/shin, but these seem to be lessening which is nice. I found it's also extremely fun to break into a skip while running along, as ZR5K W7 has skipping intervals.
    Last night was my group/social run. Started off with ZR5K W7D2 and ran with 2 friends. I didn't really listen to the story this time, but I did still do my skipping intervals (everything else was steady run, not as prescribed by the game) First set of intervals, my friends tried to disown me, but I stuck it out. It turns out I can (for short periods of time) skip along at sub 5min pace. Finished that 10k off with a really fast finish for maybe 50m before dying lol. Did some mini laps for a bit, and then the group run where I ran along with a friend and chatted about vVO2, Lactate threshold and then nutrion for a bit.
    About 21miles in the bank for the week so far, and I might be doing a trail half with friends on Sunday, so it should be a good week if I survive.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn sorry mate we spent so time writing about it on Strava. Nice to see you are mixing it up (skipping), fancy your mates trying to disown you!! :D I have a mental image of you skipping along ala Morecambe and Wise. :s That is going to be so hard to kick today. It's also nice to see some company on the upper limits of MTS, it appears as though you are getting back into the swing of things niggle or not.
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    First post here since finishing the c25k last week. I started the 10k Zen Labs app this morning, so thought I would say hello and introduce myself. While I was on the cross country team in high school, I have never enjoyed running...until now. I have about 50 lbs to lose after inactivity following a nasty horseback riding accident, which is what made me start c25k. While I haven't really seen much weight loss yet, I am really starting to look forward to my every-other day runs. I ran my first 5k in over 22 years this past weekend, which was very challenging- the run was at a conference in thhe western Pennsylvania momuntains, so the course was around the ski slope area, and was half downhill and half fairly steep uphill. I did have to walk up some of the massive hill, so finished slower (46min) than my average has been around home, but I have been avoiding hills so far, which proved to be a big mistake! I also had trouble with my breathing, which I am assuming is because of the altitude and not training on hills at all at home. This morning was my Week 9 day 1 run on the 10k app, so I followed my school's 5k course and included all of the hilss this time, which I pklan to keep doing until I am more comfortable. I look forward to getting tips from all of you!
  • ftrobbie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @KRPolo well done on your C25k graduation and welcome here. Weight loss will come from calorie deficit, so if you want to lose weight, you will need to eat less and/or move more. I spent 20+ years trying to outexercise a poor diet, so recommend making dietary changes as you can do that all the time. High levels of exercise require you to stay healthy, so work to boost loss but is not a good plan to maintain. Good luck on your journey.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I think I've become a proper runner, I have just binned my first set of shoes, my legs are continually tired after using this particular pair, even doing "easy runs". So I expect they are shot, the uppers have holes in them. Easy run this morning, I can't believe the route I did this morning as a light jaunt was the same one I agonised over when I did my first proper 5k run at the end of C25k.

Have fun everyone.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Welcome, @KRPolo!

I did a run/ bike/ run combo in the gym yesterday to avoid heat stroke.
    2 mi run- 19:22
    10 mi ride- 34:55
    2 mi run- 20:05
    Everything always seems easier in the gym, but the run after the ride is still HARD!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I saw the 3 Strava feeds, well done, the transitions will get easier. Well done
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Welcome and welldone Krpolo, nice to see another rider, running. Go find your local hills (easy ones) and work them I to your sessions. It will suck at first, but your body will thank you for it, and you'll find your times dropping too. Hills are speed work in disguise.
    Robbie, keep the shoes for gardening or walking the dog etc, unless you've litterally binned them.
    Good work Ceci.

Hills tonight for me and then a group trail run on Sunday, should be interesting.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Robbie, keep the shoes for gardening or walking the dog etc, unless you've litterally binned them.

Kept laces and literally binned the rest. I do have trainers for loafing about. With wetness here, they were not particularly useful for anything other than running. The second oldest pair are not much better but I used them this morning and whether it is psychological or not, my legs do not feel anywhere near as beaten up. 1st pair got to 506miles, the 2nd eldest are at 369, the pair I will use on Sunday are at 180. Will break out the last pair of sublites next week ahead of the September FM, get them broken in. Look forward to reading about your group trail run.

Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    My local running store is having a sale this weekend- all sale shoes are $40! I'm definitely going to see what they have in stock!

Rode with the girls last night just over 17 miles with killer hills. Some of them were doing transition practice, so I also ran a mile afterwards (9:47).

Woke up early this morning, so I went to the park to run. 3.13 mi in 33:25. This is my slowest time on this route since I started using Strava to track runs. I blame the heat and humidity (probably had something to do with tired legs also!)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Friday had an interesting light sprint session, which got better the longer it went on. Got a sports massage on Friday evening and my calves, glutes and IT band have disowned me. I didn't realise that I could be subjected to so much pain on my IT band. I became very acquainted with it and not in a good way. It was a good session, but I know where there are some deep issues and why I need to stretch post running sessions

Saturday had my first outing as a volunteer at the local parkrun and came in last as TR at 44:03. It was nice to give something back to what is a free activity due to the way it is funding and the work put in by the volunteers.

Just got back from Humber Half, new pb by 18 secs 1:54:37, but 780 ft of climb rather than the pan cake flat of the last pb. I walked stretches of the "big" hill at 9 miles. HR was climbing out of control whilst running and I did not feel as though I was going appreciably much faster than walking. Opted for the less stress option. It made the last 3 miles more enjoyable but I was bushed when I got to the end.

A week of very light running before charging into the last 12 weeks of a FM plan, hoping the first 6 weeks is covered by back to back HM training. Looking forward to October and having a well earnt rest!! Have fun everyone
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Hope you score some shoes Ceci!
    Good idea with the shoes Robbie :)

I ended skipping my hill session on Friday as I worked out, including todays group run I'd clock up 60km for the week, which would hahave been a 33% increase on the previous week. Turns out it was a good idea, although slightly pointless when trying to avoid such an increase. I ended up doing just over 25km today, which is both the longest run I've done since my niggles/injury issues, and my longest run ever. It was a great morning out with good friends.
    I have unfortunately been inspired to join my friends trail loop with my own, which may give us a 50km+ circuit, with maybe 2000m of elevation change if I can work it properly. So I'll be doing some exploring next week to figure out tht link points and then more over the following weeks for the loops, though I need to work it between the rest of the VO2 max study stuff.