Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran with the girls from work yesterday afternoon. It was HOT! The first 2.5 miles was at a slower pace so the one could get in her c25k w7d1. Then I sprinted to catch up with the other and we finished out her 4 mile run at a faster pace. It felt great to kick it into high gear and just run as fast as I could!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hard track workout last night - 2 miles warmup, then 16x400m repeats at 5K PR pace with 45 seconds in between, then 2 miles cooldown. I'm walking a bit slower this morning!

Holy cow - that sounds intense!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I ran with the girls from work yesterday afternoon. It was HOT! The first 2.5 miles was at a slower pace so the one could get in her c25k w7d1. Then I sprinted to catch up with the other and we finished out her 4 mile run at a faster pace. It felt great to kick it into high gear and just run as fast as I could!

Your running has been coming along so fast! My trainer does triathlons and he swears biking is good for running.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Holy cow - that sounds intense!

Yes it was! My average heart rate for just the interval portion was higher than my 5K race last weekend. I'm sure the higher temperature had something to do with that.

Overall my training plan is getting harder and harder. I haven't done any strength training in a long time due to all the running and a change in work hours (I miss the gym!!). And I haven't really gotten into the meat of marathon training yet! It's going to just get harder as the weather gets hotter. But hopefully all that hard work in the heat will make me much stronger when I run my marathon in November.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Your running has been coming along so fast! My trainer does triathlons and he swears biking is good for running.

And vice versa- I think the running really helps my endurance on the bike also! I am constantly amazed at how much progress I have made in the last year!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Did my 2nd group run tonight - the course for the race I'm running on the 4th of July. It was 30 degrees cooler than when I did it two weeks ago, and pretty windy (32mph). My niece's friend came. She's planning on doing the race and has never run the course before, which is almost impossible to figure out if you don't know where you're going (loops around a ton of different city streets). The leader (her cousin) asked if she knew the course and I said I'd run with her if she didn't mind running at my pace, since she's always been faster than me. I wish I could remember how she phrased it because it was actually a little (inadvertently) insulting. Like I'm so tired from yesterday I won't mind going that slow, or something like that. In the end she was walking and I was running ahead & looping back to get her. I told her my trainer would kill me if I didn't run the whole thing since technically this is a training run for me. She ran most of it. We finished in 41 minutes and I feel better about my fitness level than I have in a very long time. Once upon a time it killed me to get through this course even once. After running it tonight I felt like I could have gone around a second time - and it wasn't very long ago that I would have been happy to finish it in 41 minutes at all. It's gratifying to feel how far I've come.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Did my 2nd group run tonight - the course for the race I'm running on the 4th of July. It was 30 degrees cooler than when I did it two weeks ago, and pretty windy (32mph). My niece's friend came. She's planning on doing the race and has never run the course before, which is almost impossible to figure out if you don't know where you're going (loops around a ton of different city streets). The leader (her cousin) asked if she knew the course and I said I'd run with her if she didn't mind running at my pace, since she's always been faster than me. I wish I could remember how she phrased it because it was actually a little (inadvertently) insulting. Like I'm so tired from yesterday I won't mind going that slow, or something like that. In the end she was walking and I was running ahead & looping back to get her. I told her my trainer would kill me if I didn't run the whole thing since technically this is a training run for me. She ran most of it. We finished in 41 minutes and I feel better about my fitness level than I have in a very long time. Once upon a time it killed me to get through this course even once. After running it tonight I felt like I could have gone around a second time - and it wasn't very long ago that I would have been happy to finish it in 41 minutes at all. It's gratifying to feel how far I've come.

That's a terrific NSV!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great NSV Laura!!

I stuck to my plan and headed up into the hills again tonight. Different route from last time as I wanted to see if I could make an actual loop of it, that didn't require any doubling up (except for my too, from sections).
    8.6km (with 274m of elevation) of totally mixed trail, I think I had nearly everything possible. From single person goat tracks on both rocky and muddy ground, gravely hills, hard packed fire breaks, muddy clay, rocky paths(and hills) and even some soft sand tracks. I averaged 7min/km and felt pretty good when I got home, almost like I could head out and do it again.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I think today was my longest run ever time-wise. I did 13.1 miles on the trail slowly - a total of 2 hrs 20 minutes running time. Knees are sore from all the hills and I'm going up and down the stairs slowly! I skipped a 5-mile run yesterday due to some shin pain that was bothering me last week. That was a good decision - today I wasn't bothered at all by my shins. Got a bloody knee from a little trip over a root but nothing major. A pint of ice cream was a nice reward after burning over 1400 calories.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Glad the fall was nothing major Tim!

Saturday I did parkrun and set a new 5k pb. 24:51. I wasn't aiming for a PB and didn't push myself either.

As for today, attempt 3 at W4 of B210K. Day 1 for the third time, legs were a little stiff and tired, a few niggles that vanished as I pushed on. It would appear that horse riding can not successfully be used as an Active Rest activity.
    All said though it was a good run, 10.5k in 65:04 and my 3rd fastest 10k according to Strava.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Saturday I did parkrun and set a new 5k pb. 24:51. I wasn't aiming for a PB and didn't push myself either.

Congrats on the PB!! That's awesome!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    10k 1:04:22
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Wonderful time!!

I came to say that I ran 10K today as well. I didn't do it all in one stretch; I did 7K + 2K + 1K in a total of 1:20:40. I'm thrilled with this. This is the second time I've run a total of 10K (both were broken up with walk breaks) and my running time was the same for both runs.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great work Plexgut! :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I set a new 10K PR on Saturday! The plan was to run 6 miles aiming for negative splits, but when I got to 6 and saw my time I had to go the extra .2. Knocked over 3 minutes off my previous 10K time. Also achieved negative splits.

This morning's run was 3 miles with four 1 minute speed intervals (with 2 minute recovery intervals) in the middle. My HM is Saturday so I'm tapering. The first and third mile felt endless, but I enjoyed the intervals in the middle.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Fantastic!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I think today was my longest run ever time-wise. I did 13.1 miles on the trail slowly - a total of 2 hrs 20 minutes running time. Knees are sore from all the hills and I'm going up and down the stairs slowly! I skipped a 5-mile run yesterday due to some shin pain that was bothering me last week. That was a good decision - today I wasn't bothered at all by my shins. Got a bloody knee from a little trip over a root but nothing major. A pint of ice cream was a nice reward after burning over 1400 calories.

I hope someday I run 13.1 miles (even on the road - doesn't even have to be on the more challenging trail!) and consider that a slow run. Ice cream sounds like a great reward. Hope your knee scrape healed up!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Love all of these personal bests!

My goal at this moment (since March, it's been my goal) is to increase mileage, so that 20-25 miles a week feels normal to me. I'm hoping to stay at that level throughout the summer, but start transitioning my various runs to specific workouts, like hill, tempo, farklet, etc rather than just a run X miles today everyday.

I decided last Saturday that my virtual half on June 1st counted enough that I got a 13.1 magnet for my car. Also, I decided to enter the Bird in the Hand half marathon because of the way it was talked up on the long runners forum. It's local enough to me to be an easy drive to it and back.

This week looks to be my most difficult week of the month to get my 22 miles a week in. It's supposed to be in the 90s every evening all week and I have a flyball tournament on the weekend making weekend running almost impossible. It's hard to fit it in time wise and I get physically exhausted by the tournament itself. So, I'm going to need to do a good long run on Friday, which would be 8-10 miles at my current level, and do it as early in the morning as I possibly can
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Wonderful time!!

I came to say that I ran 10K today as well. I didn't do it all in one stretch; I did 7K + 2K + 1K in a total of 1:20:40. I'm thrilled with this. This is the second time I've run a total of 10K (both were broken up with walk breaks) and my running time was the same for both runs.

If I achieve this at my 10k on Saturday, I will be dancing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Glad the fall was nothing major Tim!

As for today, attempt 3 at W4 of B210K. Day 1 for the third time, legs were a little stiff and tired, a few niggles that vanished as I pushed on. It would appear that horse riding can not successfully be used as an Active Rest activity.
    All said though it was a good run, 10.5k in 65:04 and my 3rd fastest 10k according to Strava.

You are still doing gip.is app?

It's doing good things for you.