Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I had planned to ride yesterday, but it rained all day, so I opted to run. I went to my National Park, which is quite hilly.

6-8-2014_zps9fa96322.jpg

My longest run ever! I started with the idea that I would go for more than 6.5 to get my longest run, but just kept going. I felt great after 7 miles and decided to go on for a full 90 minutes. It was about 70 degrees and misting rain. Just enough to keep me cool, but not enough to get me soaked (except my feet!) I could have kept running! I have a tender spot on my left foot, but no blister!

Last year when I started c25k, I never thought I'd be able to run 30 minutes, much less 90! I am so pumped!

That is so awesome. 90 minutes is the point where your body has really started building distance capability.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I posted in here. I was unable to run for several months due to health issues and surgery. I was very discouraged when I did finally run and couldn't make it a half mile without stopping. But I decided to start from ground zero. I started the C25K program from the beginning, but did distance this time. Today I finished week 7 and I ran 2.5 miles in 34 minutes. Yes i am slow. I plan to redo Five to 10K as well, but do distance this time around as well. It has been very hard to start over. My body was much weaker, my core strength and endurance gone. It has been frustrating to struggle doing things that I once could. But I am not giving up. Running 34 minutes non-stop is giving me my confidence back. Unlike when i started last year and i questioned whether I could go further, I know I can. With some patience and hard work I will not only get back to where I was, but go even further.

It is great to see so many of you doing so well with your races and gaining mileage. You are all inspiring me to get back out there and keep pushing.

I am so proud of you. All of us are where we are.

I mentioned to my pulmonologist that I had run a half marathon just to see whether it was stupid considering that I ended up with another week sick. She was beside herself with joy that I was running.

So then I went all emotional and mentioned that I'd gotten sick after my 10k too and felt bad that I couldn't seem to keep my gains. She gave me the understanding that only a runner can provide - I can't quite describe it - and told me that the more I ran, the better everything would be.

So, I know it sucks that you got to a point and had to have surgery and now are weak. But you are better off having made those gains and you are better off knowing that you can get back to where you were. And you will. That base that you built up never completely goes away.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    10k group trail run that I'm underprepared for tomorrow AM. I'm going to bring water and Gu and pretend I'm hungover.

Being hungover would have been better than getting lost. Which I did. Not on the trail - back on the path through the suburbs.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I posted in here. I was unable to run for several months due to health issues and surgery. I was very discouraged when I did finally run and couldn't make it a half mile without stopping. But I decided to start from ground zero. I started the C25K program from the beginning, but did distance this time. Today I finished week 7 and I ran 2.5 miles in 34 minutes. Yes i am slow. I plan to redo Five to 10K as well, but do distance this time around as well. It has been very hard to start over. My body was much weaker, my core strength and endurance gone. It has been frustrating to struggle doing things that I once could. But I am not giving up. Running 34 minutes non-stop is giving me my confidence back. Unlike when i started last year and i questioned whether I could go further, I know I can. With some patience and hard work I will not only get back to where I was, but go even further.

It is great to see so many of you doing so well with your races and gaining mileage. You are all inspiring me to get back out there and keep pushing.

I am so proud of you. All of us are where we are.

I mentioned to my pulmonologist that I had run a half marathon just to see whether it was stupid considering that I ended up with another week sick. She was beside herself with joy that I was running.

So then I went all emotional and mentioned that I'd gotten sick after my 10k too and felt bad that I couldn't seem to keep my gains. She gave me the understanding that only a runner can provide - I can't quite describe it - and told me that the more I ran, the better everything would be.

So, I know it sucks that you got to a point and had to have surgery and now are weak. But you are better off having made those gains and you are better off knowing that you can get back to where you were. And you will. That base that you built up never completely goes away.

Thanks Varda, knowing that I can do it makes huge difference. I'm going to keep at it for a couple of months before I do any races.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Speed intervals this morning (5 x 2 minutes). Jason said about 3 - 3.5 miles total, so I ran 3.1 which gave me just over a half mile cool-down, except I realized at the start of my cool-down that I could finally break a sub-35 5K so I didn't slow down. Walked a lap afterward as a real cool-down. Finished in 32:52 with an average pace of 10:37. I wore two watches - my Garmin to track mileage/pace and my old Timex which has a interval timer on it. When I got to the high school track I found it torn up ("what are those big piles? dirt? nope that's the surface of the track."), so I went to an elementary school in town that has a dirt track. It's 3/10ths of a mile around so it worked fine.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Speed intervals this morning (5 x 2 minutes). Jason said about 3 - 3.5 miles total, so I ran 3.1 which gave me just over a half mile cool-down, except I realized at the start of my cool-down that I could finally break a sub-35 5K so I didn't slow down. Walked a lap afterward as a real cool-down. Finished in 32:52 with an average pace of 10:37. I wore two watches - my Garmin to track mileage/pace and my old Timex which has a interval timer on it. When I got to the high school track I found it torn up ("what are those big piles? dirt? nope that's the surface of the track."), so I went to an elementary school in town that has a dirt track. It's 3/10ths of a mile around so it worked fine.

You are doing great with the speedwork! And it sounds like you are seeing some results. Keep up the good work!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

You are doing great with the speedwork! And it sounds like you are seeing some results. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I enjoy the speed workouts. Hoping to do more of them once I get through my half.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Long run tonight, well, 60 minutes. I got talked in to doing a gym workout during lunch.

I have bloks and am bringing water. I'm also doing this run on the rail-trail. I want to see if I can finagle a long run that doesn't suck and then work from there.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Long run tonight, well, 60 minutes. I got talked in to doing a gym workout during lunch.

I have bloks and am bringing water. I'm also doing this run on the rail-trail. I want to see if I can finagle a long run that doesn't suck and then work from there.

Have fun!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    We did w6d3 of c25k yesterday. One of the girls kept running for a full 5k (she's only been running a couple of weeks!) The one who has been following the c25k program almost cried when she finished 2.25 miles of running! There are 4 of us from work signed up for 5k next week.

I just registered for a 100k bike ride this Saturday. (FUN!!!)
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    8km 50:53
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well after my horrid run on Wednesday last week, and realising I had was heading to waayy too big of an increase in mileage during the weeks I took a break and didn't run until Monday. I decided to reboot my W4 of B210K. Headed out on my run on Monday and it was even worse than Wednesdays. Tight calf that just wouldn't loosen up and couldn't settle properly into my rhythm.

Tonight I decided to throw my plan out the window for the rest of the week and headed into my local hills. Run up the first hill, all the way to the top for only the second time ever and then took on a short nasty section (200m of 24% grade) where I managed to take a Strava CR. Looped around and down some nicely steep slopes then back onto mostly until Strava told me I had covered 4km total. I turned around and headed home, taking the slightly easier route a total of 6.8km at an average of 7:30, with just over 200m of elevation. It was a great run!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well after my horrid run on Wednesday last week, and realising I had was heading to waayy too big of an increase in mileage during the weeks I took a break and didn't run until Monday. I decided to reboot my W4 of B210K. Headed out on my run on Monday and it was even worse than Wednesdays. Tight calf that just wouldn't loosen up and couldn't settle properly into my rhythm.

Tonight I decided to throw my plan out the window for the rest of the week and headed into my local hills. Run up the first hill, all the way to the top for only the second time ever and then took on a short nasty section (200m of 24% grade) where I managed to take a Strava CR. Looped around and down some nicely steep slopes then back onto mostly until Strava told me I had covered 4km total. I turned around and headed home, taking the slightly easier route a total of 6.8km at an average of 7:30, with just over 200m of elevation. It was a great run!

I can highly recommend Runners World recovery yoga, I haven't been injured since I started doing it after every run (lets hope I haven't spoken too soon!) It sorted out my tight calf, tight IT band and plantar fasciitis.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We did w6d3 of c25k yesterday. One of the girls kept running for a full 5k (she's only been running a couple of weeks!) The one who has been following the c25k program almost cried when she finished 2.25 miles of running! There are 4 of us from work signed up for 5k next week.

I just registered for a 100k bike ride this Saturday. (FUN!!!)

Wow.
  • likitisplit
    Options

The storm that took away the humidity helped. The water breaks helped. The bloks helped. The fact that my feet didn't hurt helped. It was still a long time to run.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    The storm that took away the humidity helped. The water breaks helped. The bloks helped. The fact that my feet didn't hurt helped. It was still a long time to run.

So you got out after the storm? I checked the weather at home and we decided to go run earlier than the normal group run time. It looked nice when we started and once we got on the greenway it's hard to see any bad weather coming due to all the tree cover. At the 2-mile mark we come to a clearing as the greenway briefly runs along a big road. The sky ahead was really, really dark so we decided to turn around. On the way back the wind started roaring, tree branches were coming down, and we heard a few rumbles of thunder. Unbelievably, several of our group run friends were just coming out as we were headed back. When we came up off the greenway and close to the running store where we started, the storm unleashed it's fury on us. Fortunately we were only about 50 ft from the store so we ducked in to wait out the storm and do some shopping/chatting. Did 4 miles instead of the scheduled 5 miles.
  • likitisplit
    Options

So you got out after the storm? I checked the weather at home and we decided to go run earlier than the normal group run time. It looked nice when we started and once we got on the greenway it's hard to see any bad weather coming due to all the tree cover. At the 2-mile mark we come to a clearing as the greenway briefly runs along a big road. The sky ahead was really, really dark so we decided to turn around. On the way back the wind started roaring, tree branches were coming down, and we heard a few rumbles of thunder. Unbelievably, several of our group run friends were just coming out as we were headed back. When we came up off the greenway and close to the running store where we started, the storm unleashed it's fury on us. Fortunately we were only about 50 ft from the store so we ducked in to wait out the storm and do some shopping/chatting. Did 4 miles instead of the scheduled 5 miles.

I was about to leave work at 6:30 when all hell broke loose out there, so I decided to stay a few minutes more.

Also, my section of the Silver Comet is closed for repaving so I just ran around my neighborhood.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I can highly recommend Runners World recovery yoga, I haven't been injured since I started doing it after every run (lets hope I haven't spoken too soon!) It sorted out my tight calf, tight IT band and plantar fasciitis.

I keep meaning to check that out...and then don't.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    9km 56:46
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Hard track workout last night - 2 miles warmup, then 16x400m repeats at 5K PR pace with 45 seconds in between, then 2 miles cooldown. I'm walking a bit slower this morning!