Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I woke up early and headed to my national park for a 5k run. Finished in 31:15 with a pace of 10:03. Not bad for a hilly route! Probably also going to run this afternoon with the girls from work.

Last night the leader of our girls bike group decided we needed to do hill repeats. Almost 10 miles of hill repeats. After I had already ridden 10 miles with my coworker. She gave prizes- I got an award for "Most enthusiastic down hill". It is a small tshirt and it fits! (Still trying to wrap my mind around that!)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Nice running & riding Ceci!

Today was a short shakeout run before tomorrow's 5K. I did a very slow 2.5 miles then 6x100m strides to get a feel for the first 100m of the race. I just need to remember the feel of those strides and not go out like a bullet at the race. The weather looks OK in the morning - upper 60's but 100% humidity.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    10k group trail run that I'm underprepared for tomorrow AM. I'm going to bring water and Gu and pretend I'm hungover.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Fantastic run & ride Ceci!

Good luck tomorrow Tim! Looking forward to hearing that you smashed it. Just stick to the plan.

Varda...seems like a reasonable strategy to me.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    6km 37:45
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Great pace!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Nice run and a great time. Well done!

Thanks everyone on the comments on my first 10K of running. I felt great yesterday. Not even a bit of soreness, which was surprising; I expected a bit of complaint from my muscles.
    I'm looking forward to my run later this morning.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Killed my 5K PR today - finished in 21:15 and took 2nd in my age group (out of 30 in the AG). 15th overall out of 330. I started out too fast but it didn't hurt me too much. I was looking down at my Garmin shortly after the start and saw a 5-something pace. I thought "oh crap" and backed off down to 6:40. My original plan was to run the first mile at 7:15. The second mile had a few small hills - enough to slow me down to 7:07 pace that mile. By then I was passing all the kids who raced out too fast at the start. I kept looking at the top of the last hill and telling myself to just get there and everything will be OK (top of last hill is 1.6 miles into the race). It took me until the end of mile 2 to catch my breath. For the last 1.1 miles the course was very flat. I saw my pace creep up a little and gave it all I could. The hard part was the loneliness as I could only see one woman in front of me and nobody behind me. I focused on that woman and caught up to her with 0.5 to go. I passed her but she put up a good fight, finishing 3 tenths of a second behind me. I averaged 6:50 pace for the last mile. My wife also got a PR at 22:36 but she wanted closer to 22. She was first in her age group.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Killed my 5K PR today - finished in 21:15 and took 2nd in my age group (out of 30 in the AG). 15th overall out of 330. I started out too fast but it didn't hurt me too much. I was looking down at my Garmin shortly after the start and saw a 5-something pace. I thought "oh crap" and backed off down to 6:40. My original plan was to run the first mile at 7:15. The second mile had a few small hills - enough to slow me down to 7:07 pace that mile. By then I was passing all the kids who raced out too fast at the start. I kept looking at the top of the last hill and telling myself to just get there and everything will be OK (top of last hill is 1.6 miles into the race). It took me until the end of mile 2 to catch my breath. For the last 1.1 miles the course was very flat. I saw my pace creep up a little and gave it all I could. The hard part was the loneliness as I could only see one woman in front of me and nobody behind me. I focused on that woman and caught up to her with 0.5 to go. I passed her but she put up a good fight, finishing 3 tenths of a second behind me. I averaged 6:50 pace for the last mile. My wife also got a PR at 22:36 but she wanted closer to 22. She was first in her age group.

Great race Tim, well done to you and your wife!

I also got a new 5k PB today with similar splits to Tim, but mine were per km not mile, lol! My time was 32:30.
  • timeasterday
    Options

I also got a new 5k PB today with similar splits to Tim, but mine were per km not mile, lol! My time was 32:30.

Congrats!!! Great job!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Congrats Tim! So happy for you that it went amazing. What an awesome time.

Congrats to you too Romy! Would love to run a 5K that fast. (I'm not even dreaming about getting anywhere toward Tim's speed.)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work Tim, Mrs Tim & Romy :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I ran 9 miles today. Wore what I anticipate to be my race outfit, including new shorts & a new fuel belt to make sure they felt okay (they did). Practiced some pacing, which didn't necessarily go according to plan but in the end I was closer than I thought it was going to be in the middle of the run (miles 4 & 5 were my slowest). My average pace was better than it has been the past couple of weeks. Last week was 10 miles & the week before was 14, but my long run pacing has been fairly consistent so I'm still considering it progress even though the run was shorter. My half is 2 weeks from today. I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Will be tapering and just trying to stay healthy. My trainer has already backed off on my strength workouts and has put me into what he calls "maintenance."
  • romyhorse
    Options
    I ran 9 miles today. Wore what I anticipate to be my race outfit, including new shorts & a new fuel belt to make sure they felt okay (they did). Practiced some pacing, which didn't necessarily go according to plan but in the end I was closer than I thought it was going to be in the middle of the run (miles 4 & 5 were my slowest). My average pace was better than it has been the past couple of weeks. Last week was 10 miles & the week before was 14, but my long run pacing has been fairly consistent so I'm still considering it progress even though the run was shorter. My half is 2 weeks from today. I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Will be tapering and just trying to stay healthy. My trainer has already backed off on my strength workouts and has put me into what he calls "maintenance."

I am excited for you! You are so well prepared you shouldn't have any problems. As for my 5k time, yesterday was an exceptionally good day, my first km was 7:08, on Wednesday my first km was 8:38!!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I posted in here. I was unable to run for several months due to health issues and surgery. I was very discouraged when I did finally run and couldn't make it a half mile without stopping. But I decided to start from ground zero. I started the C25K program from the beginning, but did distance this time. Today I finished week 7 and I ran 2.5 miles in 34 minutes. Yes i am slow. I plan to redo Five to 10K as well, but do distance this time around as well. It has been very hard to start over. My body was much weaker, my core strength and endurance gone. It has been frustrating to struggle doing things that I once could. But I am not giving up. Running 34 minutes non-stop is giving me my confidence back. Unlike when i started last year and i questioned whether I could go further, I know I can. With some patience and hard work I will not only get back to where I was, but go even further.

It is great to see so many of you doing so well with your races and gaining mileage. You are all inspiring me to get back out there and keep pushing.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I posted in here. I was unable to run for several months due to health issues and surgery. I was very discouraged when I did finally run and couldn't make it a half mile without stopping. But I decided to start from ground zero. I started the C25K program from the beginning, but did distance this time. Today I finished week 7 and I ran 2.5 miles in 34 minutes. Yes i am slow. I plan to redo Five to 10K as well, but do distance this time around as well. It has been very hard to start over. My body was much weaker, my core strength and endurance gone. It has been frustrating to struggle doing things that I once could. But I am not giving up. Running 34 minutes non-stop is giving me my confidence back. Unlike when i started last year and i questioned whether I could go further, I know I can. With some patience and hard work I will not only get back to where I was, but go even further.

It is great to see so many of you doing so well with your races and gaining mileage. You are all inspiring me to get back out there and keep pushing.

Sorry to hear about your problems but it is great you are persevering with your running and trying to get back to your former levels of fitness.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    7km in 44:22
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I had planned to ride yesterday, but it rained all day, so I opted to run. I went to my National Park, which is quite hilly.

6-8-2014_zps9fa96322.jpg

My longest run ever! I started with the idea that I would go for more than 6.5 to get my longest run, but just kept going. I felt great after 7 miles and decided to go on for a full 90 minutes. It was about 70 degrees and misting rain. Just enough to keep me cool, but not enough to get me soaked (except my feet!) I could have kept running! I have a tender spot on my left foot, but no blister!

Last year when I started c25k, I never thought I'd be able to run 30 minutes, much less 90! I am so pumped!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    I had planned to ride yesterday, but it rained all day, so I opted to run. I went to my National Park, which is quite hilly.

6-8-2014_zps9fa96322.jpg

My longest run ever! I started with the idea that I would go for more than 6.5 to get my longest run, but just kept going. I felt great after 7 miles and decided to go on for a full 90 minutes. It was about 70 degrees and misting rain. Just enough to keep me cool, but not enough to get me soaked (except my feet!) I could have kept running! I have a tender spot on my left foot, but no blister!

Last year when I started c25k, I never thought I'd be able to run 30 minutes, much less 90! I am so pumped!

That is fantastic!
  • timeasterday
    Options

That's some great progress!! Great job Ceci!!