Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I ran 10K without a walk break today!! First time ever!! It took me 1:26:05 but that's okay. I feel stoked and amazing!
    This tells me that I can run, despite the troubles lately. I'm still not sure what's going on but speed seems to be a factor (despite the fact that "speed" in my case does not equate "fast"). I seem to be fine with paces slower than 8:00/Km but when I reach about 7:30/Km I can't seem to run even 5K without a break. I'm not sure why this is since I was running 5K at about 7:30/K without problems last fall but I'll work myself up to that speed again one day.
    Regardless of "issues", today I ran 10K straight!!!!!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello lovelies, I believe I have some catching up to do, as I left the thread on page 126. Unfortunately I don't have that time at hand currently, so suffice to say I do hope I find everyone in good health right now!

I'm finally back in the running game as per today and feel marvellous. I've restarted the Hal Higdon 5K plan and did W1D2 earlier today, so tomorrow's run/walk will be an intense session of Nordic walking rather than running. Had some challenges with the right ankle again, but there was no freaking side stitch this time which is a huge victory in itself.

Hope Spring has sprung properly where you are, unless you're down under, in which case I hope Autumn isn't treating you too badly.

ETA
    Great updates on this page above mine, I can see! Congrats on beating yourself!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @PaytraB Congrats on the 10k! Way to go! Really, don't worry about speed. More miles will lead to faster times.

@AglaeaC Welcome back!!!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    @AglaeaC Welcome back!!!

Thanks :) I've decided to stick to the actual HH novice 5K for now to get back on track, so today was W1D3 with a 5K of Nordic walking rather than run/walk. Hope it's okay that I report here for accountability also the non-running days.

Also looked at a local race calendar and think it would be nice to aim for a 5K and a 10K in August and/or September, depending on how they fit into what else is going on then. I know I can run 5K without problems, but participating in an official race is still different from solo training, and might be the boost I need.

How often do you like to participate in races?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone. Still no running for me as much as I want to, leg is feeling fine while walking but I can still trigger pain, so it's not yet all right.

I don't race much, more due to entry costs honestly. If I could afford it I'd probably race most months.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I would race most months if money were no issue. $25+ per race adds up quickly. I have a few local races that I try to do every year (last week's glow run, Cancer Challenge 5k in June, Girls on the Run 10k in November, etc.) Between those and my bike events, my DH gives me grief about how much money I"m spending. :wink:

Bike day for me yesterday- 17.1 miles. The girl who leads the bike group is trying to talk me into a road race today. Not sure if I'm up for that! I'm pretty slow compared to the younger bunch I ride with!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have my very first ever race on May 9th (5k) and was able to find out ahead of time what the route will be. So I will be able to run the actual route several times before the race. I like to mark out key landmarks that help me with pace. First 10k race on August 13th if I can be ready by then. I can run an hour now but not at the 10k mark yet. Will keep working toward that goal.

@PaytraB Congrats on the 10k!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Finances are actually a reason for me, too. Fees are shockingly high here unfortunately. But if I choose with care, I might be able to squeeze something out from the wallet without feeling too bad about it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I think I need to change my husband's mindset. Instead of sending X dollars to Y charity, I can spend X dollars on entry fees for Z charity run, right? :wink:
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I think I need to change my husband's mindset. Instead of sending X dollars to Y charity, I can spend X dollars on entry fees for Z charity run, right? :wink:

Well, it is an investment in your health, too.

I did the Hal Higdon W1D4 run today, 1.5 miles or 2.4 km. Super slow with side stitch (yay...), but better shoe lacing now. Heavy wind from both front and side part of the way, new experience to fight the elements like that on top of schlepping myself forwards. Hated the 10 first minutes this time, unusually long, but feel like a million bucks as I'm typing this.
  • Just_Ceci
    edited April 2015
    Options
    After talking myself out of a bike ride (road race) yesterday, I went for a run at my national park. 3.25 mi in 33:09. I always feel better after running (or riding) there!
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Hated the 10 first minutes this time, unusually long, but feel like a million bucks as I'm typing this.
    <3
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    60 minutes this morning! 4.5 miles. Yay!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    60 minutes this morning! 4.5 miles. Yay!

sv1hak94qwwt.gif
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Girls' Bike Bentonville group ride kicked my butt last night! 23 miles at a pace that I didn't think I was capable of and 2 killer hills! The weather today is making me want to vegetate on the couch. The weekend looks grand though! Make it a good one!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Great running from everyone and hopefully great recovery for those on the sidelines.

It has been a cutback week but post doing back to back minimalist sessions the training has gone as folows

Tuesday Fast finish session which went well
    Wednesday had a very easy session which I did in the skoras. The thing I notice in them is the rounded heel which is only odd when walking and what seem like a huge toebox. It was great to do a longish distance in a minimalist shoe on pavement
    Thursday Foundation run which was an easy run again
    Yesterday Hill sprint session where in most cases it was a success, there was one repeat I scraped through with. If I looked more closely and aligned the sprint paces to the distance covered, two failed but it was uphill rather than on the flat!!

I changed the batteries on the chest strap and that gave more consistent responses on the heart rate, but subsequently it has gone back to goo. Hill sprints with a heart rate of 62bpm, I wish!! Off out to do a 4th parkrun in 4 weeks this morning, with an aim of getting a 5km pb and setting the the target rates for the next mesocycle. No hangover this week!! Enjoy your weekend everyone
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Great parkrun this morning 5k time now under 25 mins, 24m16s. Really happy, there is still some more in the tank, but not a huge amount, pacing was wrong, got progressively slower. My stomach ached and my legs were beginning to feel like lead. But hey I'll take that time.

Also breached 200km for the month with 5 days to go.

Have fun everyone
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    2 sessions today, one a difficult long run, only 8 miles but it involved 950-1050 feet of climb depending on whether you believe garmin or tomtom. This was a simulator for Eyam. I was pleased as I managed to keep under 10 min miles for the 8 miles. My thighs and calves are letting me know they have had a workout. It was a classic case when doing repeats, the monotony of doing the repeats can be a cahllenge in itself. I was pleased that the dropoff in performance from the 2nd to the last was not too great.

And the 2nd was running with the 2 boys at their first junior parkrun 2km. A mixture of run/ walk for them which still got to 12-13 minute miles. I was really pleased and proud of them that they got out and did it.

Now kids party time, living the dream!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    Saturday did 5k right at 40 min (personal best). Fast 2 miles yesterday. On track for 50+ miles in April - my first time to track total miles. Beautiful running weather here - low 60's slight breeze! Having fun!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I have pretty much blown off running since my half and the weather has been perfect for bike riding! I will run today! I keep telling myself I want to maintain my running enough that I can run a 10k whenever I want. How much running should I do to be able to do that?
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Hit a foundation run with new pace targets. It was nice to run comfortably for the bulk of the workout without the pace alarm going ballistic about being too fast. My big gripe on what was a great run for me, was that when I did the z1 paces at the end I felt as though I was trundling through sludge. But it was 10 min mile pace! 4 months ago that was faster than z2 pace for me, almost z3 pace. If it is to be believed the new pace targets indicate a HM time of 1hr 52 and a FM of under 4 hours.