Retreating from the Main Boards to This Group

Replies

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Read this with much interest. I too grow my own fruit and veg and won't buy organic if it's grown out of the UK (what's the point if it's flown halfway across the world? in my eyes). Buy my fruit and veg from the local market (I'm lucky to live in a rural county) and try to home cook as much as possible. But, and it's a big but. I will not beat myself up if I have a binge on a Domino's pizza and a tub of Haagan Daaz. I'm healthy most of the time and that's what is important for me I rarely post on the main boards because of the rigidity. I like flexibility.
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Very insightful thread with lots of great info. I am brand new to the "clean eating" way of life. I have spent most of my many attempts trying different diets, including the super low cal (under 1000 per day), low fat, low carb, etc. Of course nothing has truly worked and I am now believing it is because I always kept processed foods in my diet. I am now looking forward to letting all of that go and eating real, healthy and whole foods.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    I am glad I found this group - it is right up my alley I too am frustrated by the main boards and the bashing that goes on and misinformation. I eat as clean as I can - am I perfect no but I am so much better than I was a few years ago! We would rather eat at home because it tastes so much better and nothing is better than harvesting your own stuff , cooking it, and eating it! I just had a person tell me my eggs are amazing and that they have never seen such standup orange yolks - free ranging happy chickens that don't even eat scratch in the summer because they are too busy hunting bugs! Our happy cow each year that lays under a tree eating grass with its herd mates until time comes to be made into wonderful food for us! Such a difference such a difference.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    yes! they are driving me crazy...I swear they act like it's ok if I eat 1200 calories of oreos as long as I eat 1200 calories it doesn't matter. seriously?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I feel exactly the same way.
    I recently opened this account, but I had an account last year. It seems like people are getting snarkier and seem to gang up on whomever posts an unpopular view -- such as "fast food and donuts are not healthy"

I *have* found a lot of useful information on the boards. But I have also seen a lot of negativity and mob mentality.

I mean, it is OK to disagree on topics, but it is not OK to gang up on posters and ridicule them with GIFs and spam threads with "Mean Girls" attitudes.

Also, don't get me wrong, I love bacon.
    And I will indulge occasionally. As a matter of fact tomorrow I plant to make the Skinnytaste Asparagus Salad with Crumbled Bacon...but I digress.

I would like a place to learn about whole foods and nutrition. I enjoy how I feel when I eat better. So, to me, it is more than just creating a caloric deficit without mind to the quality of my food.

Thank you for opening this subject.

Moderators will remove these posts, but people need to use the Flag > Report feature, and it is not obvious that that is the one you need to use to alert a mod.

They've been cracking down lately, which is good to see.

• blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2015
    So glad to have found this group and excited to share ideas! I'm passionate about nutrition and clean eating so it's nice to have a group dedicated to this topic.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    A calorie is NOT just a calorie!! I want to scream that on the main boards...lol.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Yes, I agree and am glad to have this board. I got into a discussion today on one of the threads...some innocent person put "clean eating" in the title and it blew up from there. A few of us said we were giving up processed food and someone tried to say that we'd have to give up everything then because that steak was "processed" (killed, butchered, wrapped, shipped, etc.) So annoying because of course they know what we mean when we say "giving up processed food".

Read the label on Hamburger Helper and then tell me why that's equal to me making it at home with meat, tomatoes, spices, and pasta of my choice. ugh.

Yeah, I need to stop answering those people. I do always send a private message to the original posters of those threads, especially if it's some innocent new person, and I invite them to this board and/or the low carb board.

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Agreed Monklady. I think some people see clean eating as living off leaves and berries! Pass me that home made ice cream please :)
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Yes, I agree and am glad to have this board. I got into a discussion today on one of the threads...some innocent person put "clean eating" in the title and it blew up from there. A few of us said we were giving up processed food and someone tried to say that we'd have to give up everything then because that steak was "processed" (killed, butchered, wrapped, shipped, etc.) So annoying because of course they know what we mean when we say "giving up processed food".

Read the label on Hamburger Helper and then tell me why that's equal to me making it at home with meat, tomatoes, spices, and pasta of my choice. ugh.

Yeah, I need to stop answering those people. I do always send a private message to the original posters of those threads, especially if it's some innocent new person, and I invite them to this board and/or the low carb board.

I sent a PM to the OP of the this thread as well. I won't post much on the main boards. I had someone answer a question I had posted in one of the groups I belong to and stated weight loss is linear, yada yada. Yes, I know that, but that wasn't answering my question.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    A calorie is NOT just a calorie!! I want to scream that on the main boards...lol.

Although I agree that the people on the main forums are not sensitive to others.. a calorie IS a calorie - a calorie itself is just energy, nothing more, nothing less. Your body burns them the same way - whether you get the nutrients or not from it doesn't matter to actual weight lose. Yes, you can eat calorie deficient eating Oreos and still lose weight, you won't be very healthy but will make your dentist very happy. ;) I believe calorie deficient while eating whole foods its the way to go IF you can make it sustainable for your everyday life.
  • getup25

Although I agree that the people on the main forums are not sensitive to others.. a calorie IS a calorie - a calorie itself is just energy, nothing more, nothing less. Your body burns them the same way - whether you get the nutrients or not from it doesn't matter to actual weight lose. Yes, you can eat calorie deficient eating Oreos and still lose weight, you won't be very healthy but will make your dentist very happy. ;) I believe calorie deficient while eating whole foods its the way to go IF you can make it sustainable for your everyday life.

30 years from now I want you to remember what you posted. Your opinion may change. You are correct with your statement IF you can make it sustainable for your everyday life.

• MsJulesRenee
    getup25 wrote: »

30 years from now I want you to remember what you posted. Your opinion may change. You are correct with your statement IF you can make it sustainable for your everyday life.

It's not an opinion, that is how bodies work. Science might change, but that is not an opinion either. Whether you want to get your calories from whole food or processed food, it burns the same in the end. This is strictly for weightloss - not health. That is why they keep saying "CICO" - how you consume your calories is up to you, but it is still the calorie deficient that make you lose weight. I am on the same side as you, just explaining why they say what they say on the main forums. Knowledge is power.
  • lovesdivine
    lovesdivine Posts: 10 Member
    Hi! So glad I took the time this today to really check this Community out and found this group. I am trying to eat cleaner. I just set my Diary to open so if anyone wants to look and let me know, feel free. Is there a place to go read up on exactly what "clean eating" means? For the most part, I make my meals at home. I rarely eat out and rarely eat something from a "box". I do eat lunch meats, canadian bacon and sausages (switched to veggie sausage recently).

Anyway, just VERY glad to have found this group. It seems more "real" and friendly and its easier on the eye. I have not read much at the main boards but on the WW message boards I read some posts about how there are some very opinionated and domineering folk here so I sort of paid attention and definitely noticed some of that going on.

Yes, I do follow the WW plan, I am in week 5. For me, for now, it is helping me learn how and what to eat within my calories at maximum nutrition. I am giving it the 3 months and will decide after that if I want to continue with it or just use MFP to track calories and nutrients. I do not use WW points for empty foods.
  • lildancer1
    lildancer1 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm trying to get on the band wagon and eating as clean as possible. I've finally lost some weight for the first time in a long time. Can anybody recommend some places to get some good clean eating recipes?
  • getup25

It's not an opinion, that is how bodies work. Science might change, but that is not an opinion either. Whether you want to get your calories from whole food or processed food, it burns the same in the end. This is strictly for weightloss - not health. That is why they keep saying "CICO" - how you consume your calories is up to you, but it is still the calorie deficient that make you lose weight. I am on the same side as you, just explaining why they say what they say on the main forums. Knowledge is power.

Some of us have different opinions and why we have retreated from the main boards hence the name of this thread. If you were on the same side as me you wouldn't keep posting that. I know why they say it on the main boards. There is no reasoning with anyone from the main boards. Knowledge is power, but it should be the correct knowledge. It's like they have blinders on to only see CICO. I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore, just allow that people have different opinions. We have come here to discuss them. We don't want it's CICO thrown in our face all of the time.

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    was happy to find this group the other day. I'm not sure I'm a "clean eater" - I'm not even sure I know what that means, but I DO know that I feel better when I eat certain foods or types of food and I feel worse when I eat others. So there's that.

But as someone who has a goal of remaining positive and trying to help people, I have to say that I've "retreated" from the main boards as well. I barely even read them anymore. I feel like the mods are making an effort but it's really the same 10 or 15 people ("shirtless mafia" truly made me laugh out loud) who are driving the rest of us who want to share our experience away.

Anyway... hi.... :smiley:
  • getup25
    Welcome to the group. Hopefully you can find some helpful information here.
  • MsJulesRenee
    edited June 2015

Some of us have different opinions and why we have retreated from the main boards hence the name of this thread. If you were on the same side as me you wouldn't keep posting that. I know why they say it on the main boards. There is no reasoning with anyone from the main boards. Knowledge is power, but it should be the correct knowledge. It's like they have blinders on to only see CICO. I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore, just allow that people have different opinions. We have come here to discuss them. We don't want it's CICO thrown in our face all of the time.

Open any high school chemistry book and my "opinion" is right there. Calculating calories one of the first experiments you do in class. Calories and nutrients have nothing to do with each other in regards to losing weight, fact and proven. Clean eating is great for your health but not necessary to do for lose weight. Don't have get defensive about a friendly debate and explanation.
  • getup25

Open any high school chemistry book and my "opinion" is right there. Calculating calories one of the first experiments you do in class. Calories and nutrients have nothing to do with each other in regards to losing weight, fact and proven. Clean eating is great for your health but not necessary to do for lose weight. Don't have get defensive about a friendly debate and explanation.

Wh

So everything in a high school textbook is correct? Well that's a first. Oh and by the way I write textbooks, mind you not chemistry ones. Yes the body does burn calories but there are other influences in a body that affect what happens to that calorie. You are correct clean eating is great for your health but not necessary to lose weight. This is a clean eating group and the actual topic we are in is why some have retreated from the main boards. What don't you understand about that?