Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you again, @fit4life_73 and @eyethree! I finished C25K last week and started my 10K trainer today. I started out using the 5K to 10K app from active.com, but I'm not sure how much I like it. It eventually uses varying running speed intervals, which I think will help, but the overall running time is pretty low (only 20 minutes today). Since I like to run 4-5 days per week, I might intersperse some longer runs by also doing the 10K trainer app from Zen labs. The Zen Labs app is only 6 weeks long, so doing it 1-2 days per week would probably balance out with the 3 days/week, 9 week active.com app. It seems like the online training plans I've seen have a mix of shorter runs with 1 long run per week, so using both apps would help in that regard. I don't know....I guess my training plan remains a work-in-progress for now.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i haven't been able to run for 6 days now. i think i'm slowly losing my sanity over it. ;) first it was to take it easy on my ankle, so the plan was to go out for a third 5k run before starting my 10k training. then my forest caught on fire and we have terrible air quality! :'( i have been stuck inside snapping at everyone like a caged animal. i went for a speed walk tonight despite the haze and ran 1k of it out of sheer desperation. i'm guessing i will need to do some catching up when the air clears. how long can i go without running before i start to lose some of the gains i made?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    i haven't been able to run for 6 days now. i think i'm slowly losing my sanity over it. ;) first it was to take it easy on my ankle, so the plan was to go out for a third 5k run before starting my 10k training. then my forest caught on fire and we have terrible air quality! :'( i have been stuck inside snapping at everyone like a caged animal. i went for a speed walk tonight despite the haze and ran 1k of it out of sheer desperation. i'm guessing i will need to do some catching up when the air clears. how long can i go without running before i start to lose some of the gains i made?

The bad news is some minor gains are lost in as little as 3 days, others can take longer. The good news is, it shouldn't take you too long to get back to where you were, only a couple of weeks at most.

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    maggiekat7 wrote: »

The bad news is some minor gains are lost in as little as 3 days, others can take longer. The good news is, it shouldn't take you too long to get back to where you were, only a couple of weeks at most.

Oh, that makes me so sad. The bright side is it won't take too long to get back to where I was. Certainly wish I hadn't given away the treadmill now!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    @maggiekat7 - sorry to hear about your ankle. I know it won't take long for you to get back where you left off. I ran outside for the first time on Saturday and it was horrible. It was truly different from my treadmill runs. I could barely do a mile straight. The remainig 2 miles was a walk run. I've been pondering where I should start: free runs, intervals or b210k. I'll figure it out.
  • LLduds
    Options
    Sorry about your ankle @maggiekat7...and your forest fire :(

@fit4life_73 - what made running outside more difficult? Was it the outdoor temp or was there a difference in effort required? I haven't used a treadmill....I think part of why I've taken to running these past few months is that running outdoors also serves some sort of meditative/escape function that indoor exercise (elliptical) hadn't been.

I tried out Week 1/Day 1 of the Zen Labs 10K trainer this morning...it was intervals of 10 minute runs/1 minute walks. It didn't sound horrible at first, but was actually really challenging once I was trying to complete the 4th interval. My miles are taking about 11-12 minutes, so not horrible but definitely room for improvement.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @fit4life_73 Running outside is so different from the treadmill! Don't be concerned if you have to slow down or have more walk intervals until you get used to the outdoor runs. Have fun!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    If you are unsure about how to proceed, the zenlabs b210k is a continuation of zenlabs C25k. It uses the same methodology, still running 3 days a week but extends you out. The same rules apply, slow down if you need to. At the end redo the 5k and just see how much faster your 5k time has become. It's another 4, 5, 6 weeks (senility has set in) but gives you a recognised programme to follow. Then decide what you want to do and pick up a training plan to suit. After a while you will understand what works or doesn't for you and you can start tailoring. But make sure you have some fun.

Good luck on your continuing journey
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Nice going everyone

2 sessions to update on, a nice easy 4 miler yesterday, legs were tired post the 5k parkrun, the 9 miler and the boys parkrun, so took to using some compression calf guards. This morning did a fast finish 6 miler, with the last 15 minutes being done at tempo pace. It was right at the slow end of the pace guide, but it felt good. Had the calf guards on today at work and the legs feel a lot better as a result. Couple of easy days coming up before the sprint interval session on Friday. Need to get the right mental attitude for that, those hurt and it has not been fun in the past.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment with a physiotherapist yesterday. Actually 3 of them! My appointment was with a student and the only thing he could find was a slight weakness in my right hamstring. He discussed it with one of the other physios and they decided it was my knee ligaments. She then examined me and agreed it was my knee ligaments. While he was giving me a friction massage to break up adhesions we could hear her discussing my case with another physio. They were confused because my pain was lower down than usual with ligament damage. She then came back and examined me again and decided it was actually my hamstring that was the problem. The other physio had then to come and examine me as it was an intriguing case! The pain I was getting was where my hamstring attaches to the top of my tibia. The doctor had banned me from running till I saw the physio, now I am banned for another two weeks until I see the physio again! I should just about have time to prepare for my 10k in September before I get injured again, lol!

Glad to see some new people, welcome!

Glad to read everyone's running (and cycling) seems to be going well, hopefully I'll be back in a couple of weeks.
  • taeliesyn
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @maggiekat7 don't stress about it, injuries happen and often if they are minor and treated properly the injured area can end up stronger than before. Hope the air clears up soon!
    @fit4life_73 Dreadmill is definitely easier for 90% of the people who run so heading outside is normally harder. As with C25K, just slow down if you need to. I'd do some free runs and then maybe B210K. I'd leave intervals until you've been running a solid 6-12 months, unless you mean the run/walk type stuff that makes up B210K & C25K.
    @LLduds I remember doing my B210K and was suckered in by the 'short' 10min intervals and went waaayyy too hard and suffered on the last one or two. I still recommend getting through B210K before concerning yourself with pace. Sure take note, but don't worry :)
    @ftrobbie Good work mate, and yeah those sprint sessions suck. Remember the mantra "Embrace the suck!" (I forgot it on Monday when I did my intervals)
    @romyhorse Bugger about your injury, but hopefully this is the forward progress you need. Looking forward to seeing your return! :)

I got suckered on my session this morning, it was 9x5min 'intervals' with no recovery. The intervals consisted of
    3:30 @ 65% vVo2Max (5:25/km)
    1:00 @ 85% (4:09, but was using 4:10)
    30sec @ 90% (3:55)

For a few cycles, when I finished the 30sec interval I dropped down to walk instead of the 5:25 run, but I still managed to average the pace for the most part.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn that 5:25 pace is still not slow, I've tried a similar session to that last cycle and could not hold a slow recovery at 6:20/km. All hats off to you. Looks like you are going to really push your 5k time down again with your latest training regime. Have fun

And you're right "Embrace the suck" Every tempo or sprint interval piece I keep having to push myself, it's on those sessions that having a training partner to push me would really help. One of the few downsides to running solo. I know they do me good and I feel great afterwards but the during is a real battle between body and mind.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I'm think the above rolling tempo and the previously horribly failed 4min intervals will be making an appearance in my regular training schedule now. Tomorrow will be interesting 10 x 2min on 6min recovery(possibly actually rest, not recovery) at 3:55 pace.
    I'm hanging out to get home and see how even or uneven my intervals were. I had 1 moment during a 4:10 interval, where it felt like my body was just giving up and going back to an easy pace. Yet when I looked at the watch, I was still holding the 4:10 pace O.o I wonder if that means there is hope, 4:10 may one day be an 'easy' pace for me.... oh gods that would be sweet.

@ftrobbie Yeah, having some company for intervals definitely helps. Even though my sessions this week are with a group of other guys, as we're all at different paces I'm not getting the 'group vibe' to help out, except for the odd moment when the really fast buggers pass me and my competitive edge kicks in trying to keep up.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I wish I could find someone near me to run with! My friends are either way too fast for me, or they perceive that I am too fast for them. (That makes me laugh every time!) I chose to sit on my sofa last night instead of taking advantage of a break in the rain. That might mean I'll have to run at the gym today. :(
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mid-morning run, Week 2 Day 1 of B210K. 4.11 miles at 13:53 minutes a mile. I made it under the 14 minute mark. I know I shouldn't be focusing on this but I'm so happy to be working on increasing speed and miles. My best run yet.
  • Just_Ceci
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Awesome run, @eyethree!

It is still raining here, so I went to the gym for a bike/ run/ bike workout. After 20 minutes vigorous on the bike, I ran 2 miles (walked 2 laps after the first mile), then did another 30 minutes not quite so vigorous on the bike. My time for the 2 mile run, not including the walking laps, was 18:19. Unbelievable! Maybe someday, I'll be that fast outside!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    eyethree well done but as you say try to focus on the time or distance, for the next few weeks, rather than pace. Like C25k you may need to slow down as you go further during this phase.

Ceci nice workout.

Taeliesyn, nice workouts, there was me hoping to get close to you soon, but looks like you are intent, like Ceci, of running away from me, with you both in distance and pace :)

Two days of easy running with Respibelt. I have already tightened the belt up as it is getting easier to run with it on, not sure whether that is because it has had an initial stretch or if the thoraxic muscles are getting stronger. Getting ready to embrace the suck tomorrow on hill sprint session. Joy oh joy!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    More rain here so ran Couch to 10k Trainer W9D1 on the treadmill @4.5mph. Four 10 min runs with 1 min walks between. Stopped at the end of run 3 since dinner was ready and family was "WE ARE STARVING MOM!"
  • LLduds
    Options
    I am sticking with my plan to alternate 10K training apps. Yesterday was a rest day (did elliptical); today was W1/D2 of the Active Network trainer. It consisted of a 10 min jog, 3 min tempo run, then 10 min jog. It sounded easy, but for a running newbie, it was difficult to go from the harder tempo pace back to a jog! I really wanted to go from tempo to a walk, but I hung in there and jogged. At the recommendation of another MFP runner, I ordered some books about running so hopefully I will grow to understand more of what you guys are talking about :) LOL! Happy Thursday to all!!!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I would heartily recommend Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower. It is repetitive in places but well worth the read. It has helped me and is the book I go back to if I need some guidance. I have used MF to convert an ultramarathon training programme into something I can understand. Have fun