Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No running for me over the weekend, but I got a couple of good rides in!

On Saturday, I led a small group for a 10 mile ride through a rural area and then we went to a local Farm to Table lunch event.

On Sunday, my dh made brownies, so I rode at the national park! :happy:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Finished W12D1 (R30, W5, R15) today, and I killed it!!! I fell again two days ago and scraped my knees up pretty bad again, so I was nervous to go out today. I managed to come out of it today with my knees still intact though :). I can't believe I will be running for a straight hour in 3 more weeks!! It's crazy! I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds when I started c25k in the beginning of May.

Isn't that awesome? I cried before and after each race for the first year after C25k with each new realization that it was Me! doing That!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Had a good run on one of the local greenways today. The plan was 13 miles but I did 13.1 just because. Except for something stinging my finger and hurting like hell the whole run I felt great. I even pushed the last mile to 7:27 pace and ended up at 8:59 average for the entire run. Hard to believe I can run that distance in less than 2 hours and call it an easy training run! My energy level was awesome today. I've been experimenting with Generation UCAN and it has really helped my long runs. I never felt any loss of energy for two hours and didn't need any gels to get through it.

That is insane, Tim.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I've decided to change up my runs so that I'm doing my long run on the weekend. I'm not going to be able to continue doing that when the runs get longer, but right now I need the extra recovery. I'm cutting back a little to move forward: two days at 40 minutes and one day at an hour. Once I feel comfortable with that for two weeks in a row, I'll go back to base runs of 45 minutes and then add a fourth day.

I'm doing to do some sort of butt drill once a month to remind myself to activate my glutes - and I'm going to get serious about my leg swings throughout the day to loosen up my hip flexors.

I've been doing a progressive bodyweight program and kind of feeling lazy about my strength training because some days I'm doing 10 minutes and I never feel more DOMS than I do after a long run. I'm still progressing with strength and like what I've accomplished so far, though, so I was kind of conflicted.

Then, I read the book "Easy Strength" and it's eye-opening. I've unconsciously adopted a program that lines up with my goals and is right on top of where I need to be - as a runner, I shouldn't be doing strength training to the point where it interferes with my ability to run. The book is also giving me the kick-in-the-butt to move toward 4-5 days of running. Neurologically, you need the days on your feet to maximize running adaptations. That's true of any sport, 4ish days of sport training and a couple days of strength training and mobility work.

It's freaking brilliant. Every other strength program I've seen either is for body building or power lifting. If it's a strength training program for runners, it doesn't do things like build you up to 2X body weight squats or the ability to do pull-ups - even though that level of strength is kind of a minimum for human life and would be beneficial to most runners (elite runners have coaches to help them with the strength side). Running programs focus on developing and counterbalancing running. "Easy Strength" doesn't give you the program you need for any sport, but it helps you define what you need from a strength program when you are picking one out to use.
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 3, Day 3 tonight. I felt like I was going to die by the end of the first mile, but somehow managed to push through for just shy of 3 more.The heat is really making me wonder if I am made to be a runner. For the last week, I just haven't enjoyed it as much... kind of makes me sad.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did W12D2 yesterday, but stopped about 7 minutes into my last run segment. The stupid humidity is getting the best of me ????. I'm running at a snails pace just to get through my runs anymore. I'm running about a 15 minute mile pace...any slower and my feet start dragging, causing me to fall. I know I've been really bad about strength training, and I feel like it's finally coming back to bite me in the butt.

I know I need to get back into it. My pace has suffered dramatically since I finished c25k. I used to be able to run an 11 minute mile. I just hate the feeling of running through DOMS!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Week 3, Day 3 tonight. I felt like I was going to die by the end of the first mile, but somehow managed to push through for just shy of 3 more.The heat is really making me wonder if I am made to be a runner. For the last week, I just haven't enjoyed it as much... kind of makes me sad.

I struggled with the heat yesterday too. I was running 5 to 10k, w3d1 with my friend from work. I finished, she didn't. Heat was unbearable! We will have to run early in the morning when the temp is up like that. Of course a cold front came through last night and it's in the 60's this morning!

Anyway- 6.48 miles in 85:42 including the walking intervals and warm-up/ cool down. UGH
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    sleep3_zpsb65bbb06.gif

Where is everybody?

When I woke up WAY before my alarm this morning, I decided to go for a run. It was about 50 degrees, perfect for running! I got in a quick 3 miles (30:23), plus a long cool down walk with my dog. (Vet says he needs to lose 13 lbs!)

Will be running this afternoon with my girls from work, should only be in the mid to upper 70's then!
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Options
    All done with week 12. Two more weeks to go!! Today was a nice, chilly, 50 degrees ( it's only getting up to 70 today)-- perfect for running!! I completed my entire run ( 5 miles in all), and I had a PR of 38 minutes for my 5k time!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Another almost 5 mile run yesterday afternoon with my friends from work. We restarted 5 to 10k, since one girl has been on vacation for 10 days. It was great!

I'm traveling today to Texas. Not sure how much time I'll have for running, etc. But I am taking my bike!
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not braking any land speed records, but I'm still surprised that I can actually do this. I think the realization started the first time I ran for 5 minutes.

Today I did Week 10 Day 1 of Zen Labs' 10K Trainer app. This week's runs are 3 15-minute jogging intervals with 1-minute walking breaks in between. I wasn't going to go for a run, because it was already so late, but I wanted to go for a run with a local running club on Saturday and wanted to have a rest day in between. If anyone on here lives in Philadelphia, I ran down Kelly Drive, which is relatively flat. My pattern seems to be one day of running with some hills thrown in. One day of some other type of cardio,, one day of a track-like run, and an "optional" day that is either an additional recovery day or a running day. I also do strength training 3 times a week, on days I run, preferably run in the morning and strength in the evening.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Work lately has left my brain as mush, so when I got a chance for a run on Wednesday even though I was around 1200km from home I took it. 5k later, new unoffical pb. 24:31. So much for an easy 5k as an ankle tester.

As for tonight, headed out tonight, hoping to run around 10k distance and about 60min time. Ended up with 11.7k and 70mins. I had every intention of cutting the run short, should my ankle play up but as long as I stayed on the level ground of the roads/paths it was good. Legs felt like lead for pretty much the entire run, but I pushed through and ended up with my 3rd fastest 10k time and one of my fastest (I think) runs for my home loop. I even took it careful on the downhills and maintained a steady pace, rather than letting gravity give me a boost.
    Ankle is feeling a little funky now, so I need to really try and take it easy at parkrun tomorrow.
    I think I have also figured out my future training/running plan for when I don't have an OCR or work interference, and my ankle is up to trail running.

Monday 10-12k, tuesday intervals & 5k freedom run(10-15k total I'm guessing). Thursday 8ishk trail run, Saturday parkrun. Over time, the thursday and saturday runs will build, more the saturday than anything with the aim of being able to run to & from parkrun (about 17k)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with some knee issues lately and haven't been able to keep up with my training plan. It has really zapped my motivation and overall attitude towards running. Hopefully it's just a brief phase and I'll get my mojo back soon. Skipped one run last week and will be skipping today's run too. Early this month I started noticing the first signs of runner's knee so I backed off the mileage. It gets better with a couple of days rest but running 2-3 days in a row aggravates it again. Tomorrow I have the last race of my 8-race trail series and it will not help my knee at all. Two miles up one side of a mountain and two miles down the other side. I'm more worried about the downhill part and will take it slow (and wear a brace). I've already won the series points lead for my age group so no need to run hard. At least the series will be done and I have 6 weeks until my next race - a road course 10K.

Everyone has been making some great progress and getting in some fantastic runs!! Keep up the good work!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I feel so lazy reading this thread! I missed 5 runs when I was away on holiday. The area where our hotel was wasn't suitable for going running, but I did walk miles every day! When we went to Center Parcs on the way home I did manage to get in one run plus lots of cycling/swimming/basketball/badminton. Managed to motivate myself to go out for a run on Wednesday night but hurt my back yesterday. It is much better today so I might try some exercise tonight. It is 9 weeks to my 10k race so I need to start building up my mileage.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Options
    I started Week 13 of 10k runner with a bang. I was really nervous about the first run segment (40 min straight), especially since I've had a reputation for not completing runs ever since finishing the 5k portion of the program. However, this was a beautiful run!! It was nice and cool out, the run felt easy, and I can tell I'm getting faster! Only 5 more runs to go until I reach my goal.

I will finally run my first 6k race one week from Sunday. So, I'll be finishing the program a little later than I'd like, since I will be taking an extra rest day before my race (otherwise it'll be 55 minutes the day before).
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hope your knee comes good soon Tim!

Definitely time to build the mileage romy! Holidays/travel make it hard to stick to a running schedule.

Good luck with your race next weekend andie, and you're nearly at the end of the program! You will make it :)

Well today was a total failure on the taking it easy idea, which resulted in a mega success for the rest of my run. I still took it relatively easy, just faster than planned. Took off on parkrun with a runner in my sights, hoping to catch her in the second lap, had a guy come up and run with me for a good portion, which I think may have helped my pace a little, part way through the second lap he took off on me and caught my original target, I put a bit more effort in and passed them both with about 1.5k to go. He stuck with me for the rest of the run and as we hit the home stretch I started to speed up, so kicked the pace up, and I kicked it up again for a nice sprint finish.
    Final time of 23:58, a 49 second PB :D
    Ankle is a little sore now, so it's got a strap on it, but all is good!
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Today I did a 6.67 mile loop. I finished in 1 hour 13 minutes, including about 4 walking/water breaks. This was a run with a local running club. Although I can't run this distance ye without stopping, I did learn that I can run for much longer if I take some walking breaks when needed; so this might be the key to helping me build more muscle endurance.
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone's injuries start feeling better!!

They canceled my 5k on Saturday, so I'm going to have to wait for my 5k race debut... I'm currently spending all my free time studying for an exam I'm taking, so I think I might wait until after I'm done with that (hopefully the end of August) to sign up for one.

Week 4, Day 1 tonight. The humidity has finally gone back to normal levels here, which has made running MUCH more tolerable. Still running at a snail's pace, but oh well - better than not running at all. :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I am getting my mojo back! My knee is still not back to 100% but it's not getting worse. Yesterday's trail race really helped my overall attitude and got me fired up again to run. Saturday morning we woke up to the sound of pouring rain and that was pretty much the way it was all morning. The rain let up a little as I did a 2-mile warmup. That gave me a chance to check out some of the course conditions. Lots of standing water in places and little rivers of orange mud too. But overall the trail was very hard packed clay and I was getting good traction. They reversed the course this time for safety reasons. One side of the mountain is very rocky and that would have been dangerous going down when wet. So we went up that side instead. About 10 minutes before race time as we lined up in the parking lot it really started pouring harder. The race was actually pretty fun in the rain. I took it easy going up and went as fast as I could safely run down the other side. I was running around a 7:30 pace flying down a mountainside in a downpour! It felt great but so easy to get hurt. Luckily I never slipped. I finished the 4-mile race in 33:55. Not bad for 500 feet of elevation gain.

Here's a shot of me near the finish:

14670548926_b195c1768d.jpg

Today was a 14-mile run at 9:22 pace. Legs were a little tired but I got it done.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Got up early this morning, so I went for a run. I'm in SE Texas this week visiting family. Can I say MUGGY?! Wow!

Anyway, I got in a 3 mile run in just over 33 minutes.