Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    nada yesterday or today as I decided a virus in my tonsils would be a brilliant way to spend my time :-/ Planning to be back in the pool tomorrow! The distances you guys do are inspiring - I'm lucky to be able to do 100 without having to stop for a kickboard break.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1500 meters, 48 minutes. All freestyle. 500 swim, 200 pull, 100 kick, 200 pull, 100 kick, 200 pull, 200 swim. I just figured it out as I went along this morning. I was thinking I could squeeze in 500 at the end instead of 200 but I ran out of time and (truth be told) give a damn.

Don't worry LauraRae, it takes time to build up to any kind of distance and all of us have different goals and speeds. Hope you feel better!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    4 min short of 2.5 km before I flamed out after 52 min.
    Hard slog throughout!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, swam 1/2 mile ( 900 YD) @ 33 min
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ~10min closed fist front crawl, ~10 min backstroke, ~40 minute breast stroke kickboard ...tomorrow is a drylander day
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    A 4 mile kick start to my day :)
    The Y's National Team had practice this morning. THOSE KIDS ARE FAST.
    I'd be done an hour earlier if I could swim that fast :)
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Open water practice - 75 minutes, no idea on distance. I felt cruddy today, though. Not sure why.
    Coach is suggesting I do dryland to build strength faster (do not have enough to maintain a strong pull for long distances)- I was doing some bodyweight, but then I stopped (I really don't like strength training). Oh well, coaches orders.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1200 today. My endurance is increasing - I did 4 sets of 100 free, 50 kick, 100 free with a 2 minute rest/water break in between, and then I ended with a 200. Yay me!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Gone for 2 weeks of Scrambling around the Ice and Rocks in the Canadian Rockies and No swimming, unless you count Kicking ( 1 kick ) from one side of the Mountain Stream to the other that was our Coooold Bath Tub. Had 5 pages of posts to try to catch up on. Did get into the Town of Jasper, AB for a swim when I went to replenish supplies. Felt like the water was really Heavy and I struggled to get moving.

Curls I know exactly how you felt after your Mt. St. Helens climb. That's what I did for 2 weeks just a different peak every 2nd day.

Welcome to the gang Laura. Stopping for a kickboard break, that's funny. A kick board set is harder on me than doing a 1000m front crawl set.

Welcome back to the Chlorine World Gutzy, man great distances for being away from the water.

Robertus Protect the shoulder and elbow.

Noel and Kida - What are we going to do with our new Open Water Masters.
    Kida! Kida! Kida! ....wait ..there are places without internet!?!?!?! *fear*
    Yes and even places that have no Cellphone coverage, not even old analogue service with no data!!!
    It was a great 2 weeks, No technology interruptions.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Haven't swum for the last ten days. Shoulder has been really sore and it's actually getting me quite down. Have been trying to walk or do the elliptical at home on really freezing days so I feel like I'm at least doing something. The competitive season is three months away and I don't feel like I can even focus while I don't know if my shoulder is going to hold up or rupture and need surgery. All in all not a good week
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Open water practice - 75 minutes, no idea on distance. I felt cruddy today, though. Not sure why.
    Coach is suggesting I do dryland to build strength faster (do not have enough to maintain a strong pull for long distances)- I was doing some bodyweight, but then I stopped (I really don't like strength training). Oh well, coaches orders.

Have you ever looked into your stroke rate? From what I read, a higher stroke rate is quite good for, and recommended for open water swimming due to the nature of the conditions. However, maintaining a higher stroke rate while retaining stroke form, when you haven't been used to it, is difficult and takes some getting used to (it's taken me at least 6months to adjust to my higher rate)! But it has definitely helped increase the power in my arms!
    Getting a finis tempo trainer, then trying to keep to a certain rate from beginning to end during training, I presume would help you get used to pulling at a fixed rate throughout, and train the arm strength/ power in that way!
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Haven't swum for the last ten days. Shoulder has been really sore and it's actually getting me quite down. Have been trying to walk or do the elliptical at home on really freezing days so I feel like I'm at least doing something. The competitive season is three months away and I don't feel like I can even focus while I don't know if my shoulder is going to hold up or rupture and need surgery. All in all not a good week

Hang in there EmmaB. Think of the good the rest is doing your body.Sometimes you need to lose or retreat from a particular battle, in order to win the war!

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1900 yds, mixed sets, mostly freestyle. 55 minutes. I threw some IM kick sets in there but no actual IM swimming sets because butterfly is not my friend. I think without a coach on the deck to tell me what to change, I'm just likely to hurt myself doing it. So I just replaced fly with my sad little breast stroke in the IM swim set.

Good job everyone! Way to build it up, Laura. Just hang in there, EmmaB. AQ has it right, sometimes you have to move back to move forward.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles :) Three times this week. So I guess I can now call this my new 'short' swim :)
    Regarding above comments re stroke rate. Increasing my stroke rate requires that I shorten my stroke. I do not have the strength needed to increase my stroke rate while maintaining my current stroke form. :)
    But that brings up another topic for me which I may get to in another thread.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Have you ever looked into your stroke rate? From what I read, a higher stroke rate is quite good for, and recommended for open water swimming due to the nature of the conditions. However, maintaining a higher stroke rate while retaining stroke form, when you haven't been used to it, is difficult and takes some getting used to (it's taken me at least 6months to adjust to my higher rate)! But it has definitely helped increase the power in my arms!
    Getting a finis tempo trainer, then trying to keep to a certain rate from beginning to end during training, I presume would help you get used to pulling at a fixed rate throughout, and train the arm strength/ power in that way

My stroke rate is pretty low - my comfortable rate is 52/min, and my work hard/goal one is 60. The way he explained it was that I need to build the strength to get the power so that I can keep the faster rate while still having good form.

I've looked at the finis tempo before. Don't think I need it quite yet - I am pretty good at maintaining tempo (musician ftw!) Maintaining power is another story.

Overall, coaches suggestion to do strength training really makes sense - I have a record of three pushups in a row max. He also suggested lots of paddles during pool workouts. I'll be giving it a shot once I get over this death cold (which showed up last night, explaining my exhaustion yesterday).
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Unfortunately time off won't help as the bicep tendon can't heal with rest the only possible outcome is rupture as it has subluxated the only question is when that happens.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    emma hang in there, I am in the same shape, my shoulder ball joint is falling apart. Too active to get a replacement. Doc said I would tear a new one up. Can't really clean out the chips as it would make my shoulder too lose. Now I just swim 1/2 mile (900 YD), 2-3 times a week, slow and easy. Time off did help mine but now I have been released to do limited exercise. Good luck girl and take it easy.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a drylander day on the elliptical. Always makes me appreciate the pool

17 minutes front crawl pull buoy, 44 minutes backstroke closed fist

Tomorrow I'm off to a gaming convention from 8am-midnight ...so that means I gotta get up waaaay too early to squeeze my swim in ...Twill be less than 13 hours swim to swim.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Thanks Bruce
  • emmab0902
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2800SCM
    Masters squad

First swim in ten days due to shoulder pain. Still here and reading posts

300 warmup

3x200 free 1&3 negative split 2 steady

4x50 kick as 25 fly 25 free

2x200 pull as 75 free 25 br

4x75 as 2 back 2 br

8x100 IM as alt IMO RIMO
    1&2 5&6 kick
    3&4 7&8 swim

200 easy

The IMs were harder than they look.

Rest intervals all 20s and about 30s between sets.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Swam in sweat doing yard work today. Had to catch up after that month away.