Aging With an Attitude!

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    No one tells me that I'm too old for anything, or that I'm not strong enough. I'm not naturally athletic but I'm not overweight and working out 6 days week for 12 years now, I can hold my own.

I'm usually the oldest one in my exercise classes at the gym. I'm not the strongest but I try pretty hard !!!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Thursday I celebrated the 1st anniversary of my first HA and today is the 1st anniversary of my second HA. Unlike Farback, I'm not strapping on scuba gear but I'm certainly glad to be here and have had the opportunity in the past year to see my son graduate high school and preparing for entry into university and to enjoy my daughters victories when she completes another bike ride (some hundreds of miles) for charity. It warms my heart ... and that's a good thing.

I believe we all find ways to accomplish our goals once we set our minds to it.

You have come a long way in this past year.. U have & are an inspiration
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Maybe it's the Bhuddism or the fact I've seen a lot of suffering, or maybe just cause I'm a Canadian, but I don't judge the people in this group or age group too harshly. Many people here have had significant health issues, and many have lost incredible amounts of weight. I respect them for both. I'm as much an alpha male as the next guy, and don't let my health history stand in my way, period. I won't, however, tear anyone down for their personal roadblocks in getting to their goals. We all have our own road to travel.

I completely agree Farback
    Well said
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the Bhuddism or the fact I've seen a lot of suffering, or maybe just cause I'm a Canadian, but I don't judge the people in this group or age group too harshly. Many people here have had significant health issues, and many have lost incredible amounts of weight. I respect them for both. I'm as much an alpha male as the next guy, and don't let my health history stand in my way, period. I won't, however, tear anyone down for their personal roadblocks in getting to their goals. We all have our own road to travel.

I understand completely what you're saying and there are people who have very legitimate health issues that I think are difficult to overcome. On the other hand, I also hear a lot of excuse making from people that appear to be otherwise healthy but use age (or menopause for women) as an excuse for not being able to improve their health or even lose a little weight.

We just met up with an old high school group of my husband's and OMG, some of them were pitiful for no real reason that I could see and they were very blunt about their health issues..........sorry.....but they made themselves that way in some cases and have already given up............really????....they're 67.

You're kinder than I am.........LOL
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Oh, there are all kinds of conditions and issues and what doesn't seem like a big deal to some may well be to others. I don't know if menopause is impeding weight loss. It might be. I know I am struggling currently to lose weight and I know I am psychologically struggling with this menopause business. In my mind, I am still a bright young thing in my 20s with my whole life ahead of me. In my uterus and knees I am not as much of a shining comet as my brain thinks I am. But I exercise anyway, even though my knees protest and I fight the good fight against an unfortunate lack of waist shrinkage and hope for the best. There is not much I can do to stop aging except drop dead which is not on my to do list. So I will suck it up and try and keep my bright young bits as long as humanly possible and put a shine on less delightful areas.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    That is why I like this group. We all have our problems, some certainly, much worse than others. but as you say, we can give up and die or continue the fight to the best of our abilities, no excuses!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Closing in on 60, but still an active firefighter. The kids do freak out when I strap on scuba gear for a recovery dive. They seem to take my heart attack more seriously than I do.

6b4buklqu0yj.jpg

great picture farback :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't cotton to too many excuses, no matter the age. Kids complain a lot too.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Closing in on 60, but still an active firefighter. The kids do freak out when I strap on scuba gear for a recovery dive. They seem to take my heart attack more seriously than I do.

6b4buklqu0yj.jpg

Thanks. I still have my motor-cyclic' glasses on there. That call came in early morning while I was having a morning coffee with the firefighters before work. It was a tragic fire at a horse barn. Four high value horses didn't make it out. I drove our heavy rescue truck, and am changing out one of the. 'Kids' bottles here.
  • Farback
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

I understand completely what you're saying and there are people who have very legitimate health issues that I think are difficult to overcome. On the other hand, I also hear a lot of excuse making from people that appear to be otherwise healthy but use age (or menopause for women) as an excuse for not being able to improve their health or even lose a little weight.

We just met up with an old high school group of my husband's and OMG, some of them were pitiful for no real reason that I could see and they were very blunt about their health issues..........sorry.....but they made themselves that way in some cases and have already given up............really????....they're 67.

I hear you. I was at the hardware store today, on my motorcycle, getting some gear for a 400 mile trip, and while mounting up I watched a guy my age get into his car in the handicap space. He was easily 100 pounds over where he should be, moving like he couldn't outrun a really slow zombie. I looked for, without actually asking, what might be wrong with him. I couldn't see anything except he'd just given up on living. Without knowing the guy, I may be completely off base, but it just amazes me when I'm fighting every day to beat heart disease, and frankly, kicking it's *kitten*, why someone could let themselves become like this guy.

I try to not judge others, but when my 59 year old *kitten* is fighting to survive, and in better shape than many in their 20's, it's hard not to say something occasionally.
  • luluinca
    Options

I hear you. I was at the hardware store today, on my motorcycle, getting some gear for a 400 mile trip, and while mounting up I watched a guy my age get into his car in the handicap space. He was easily 100 pounds over where he should be, moving like he couldn't outrun a really slow zombie. I looked for, without actually asking, what might be wrong with him. I couldn't see anything except he'd just given up on living. Without knowing the guy, I may be completely off base, but it just amazes me when I'm fighting every day to beat heart disease, and frankly, kicking it's *kitten*, why someone could let themselves become like this guy.

I try to not judge others, but when my 59 year old *kitten* is fighting to survive, and in better shape than many in their 20's, it's hard not to say something occasionally.

Yes..........I've beaten a lot of challenges myself, although yours is possibly more impressive...... :) but I really just think some people find it easier to give up than try to change. Really, even small changes in exercise and diet can have a big impact no matter what health issues they may or may not have.

I never say anything though unless someone asks for advice or asks what I've done. I think it's the whining from some people that gets me. :# Although, I don't mind ranting here anonymously....LOL

• heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't judge anymore. Things happen to others some are visible others have heart disease or cancer or another invisible ailment. Maybe he's not kicking *kitten* yet because he hasn't found his/her way. Or they have and have a long road in front of them. Be kind to others. If you knew their story maybe you would feel different.
  • Farback
    Options
    I don't judge anymore. Things happen to others some are visible others have heart disease or cancer or another invisible ailment. Maybe he's not kicking *kitten* yet because he hasn't found his/her way. Or they have and have a long road in front of them. Be kind to others. If you knew their story maybe you would feel different.

I agree with you. Without knowing their path, I don't judge. However, if they are shoving do-nuts or fast food into their feeding hole, I have a hard time feeling any compassion, Buddhist or not. We have a renovated Tim Hortons across from the fire hall. It was renovated two years ago. I haven't seen it. Choose your path and follow it. I'm not trying to be a prick here, but you need to lead fire attacks and your life from the front.

• Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I stumbled into the gym about a month ago. My back was just killing me (it just flared up again tonight). The pain was so bad it hurt to lay down to do my bench press. I worked through my sets and set a new PR for myself (205lbs).
    I decided the plain isn't going to stop me. I hobbled over to do some deadlifts (stupid, I know), loaded 135, did 8 reps, it felt good. To a little break, 8 more reps, still felt good. Added another plate (up to 225lbs) felt good after 8 reps. I decided, to hell with it. Threw on another plate (now at315lbs) looked in the mirror and saw a couple 20 something guys sorta staring and chuckling in my direction. That sealed it, 6 reps at 315lbs.
    It felt good to wipe the smiles off their faces. I watched the youngsters earlier struggling at 245lbs.
    I call it old guy power.
    Now when my back gets sore I go straight to doing deadlifting. I don't know how, but it sure makes my back feel good
    Next is breaking 250lbs on squats
  • BBee5064
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »

6b4buklqu0yj.jpg

Thanks. I still have my motor-cyclic' glasses on there. That call came in early morning while I was having a morning coffee with the firefighters before work. It was a tragic fire at a horse barn. Four high value horses didn't make it out. I drove our heavy rescue truck, and am changing out one of the. 'Kids' bottles here.

Sometimes it easy to forget the work of a fire fighter. How tragic for the those poor horses. How did a fire get started in a barn? The owners must be devastated!!
    Farback .. I admire you greatly..
    Have a great day :)
  • Farback
    Options
    Well, thank you very much. It's all about teamwork. None of is as dumb as all of us.
    That fire was undetermined, but suspected electrical. It started on the end of the barn where the panel was. Too much damage to be sure of cause. The farmer drove his tractor through the side of the barn and managed to rescue a few horses.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Good thinking on the part of the farmer. Im pleased to he managed to save some horses. I have a friend here in the uk who is a fire fighter & he puts his neck on the line every time he goes to work.. Just like you. I don't mean to come across as mushy. Im not that kind of character. But I do appreciate anyone who is willing to go that extra mile to help preserve a life.. :)
  • luluinca
    Options
    Fugley01 wrote: »
    I stumbled into the gym about a month ago. My back was just killing me (it just flared up again tonight). The pain was so bad it hurt to lay down to do my bench press. I worked through my sets and set a new PR for myself (205lbs).
    I decided the plain isn't going to stop me. I hobbled over to do some deadlifts (stupid, I know), loaded 135, did 8 reps, it felt good. To a little break, 8 more reps, still felt good. Added another plate (up to 225lbs) felt good after 8 reps. I decided, to hell with it. Threw on another plate (now at315lbs) looked in the mirror and saw a couple 20 something guys sorta staring and chuckling in my direction. That sealed it, 6 reps at 315lbs.
    It felt good to wipe the smiles off their faces. I watched the youngsters earlier struggling at 245lbs.
    I call it old guy power.
    Now when my back gets sore I go straight to doing deadlifting. I don't know how, but it sure makes my back feel good
    Next is breaking 250lbs on squats

I love this............I have a nasty back as well but it actually feels better when I work (exercise) through it. The days I don't go to the gym it hurts worse......LOL

Dead lifts are my favorite and best lift as well..........funny. But I also do a lot of core work which I first started with my earlier trainer almost 2 years ago..............lots of planks and pushups etc.....and I do a lot of swimming for cardio.

Good job with the youngsters! I actually had a 30 something guy come up to me once and tell me that I was really strong. I was only DLing 135 lbs at the time, I'm up to 175 now...... :)
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Yes..........I've beaten a lot of challenges myself, although yours is possibly more impressive...... :) but I really just think some people find it easier to give up than try to change. Really, even small changes in exercise and diet can have a big impact no matter what health issues they may or may not have.

I never say anything though unless someone asks for advice or asks what I've done. I think it's the whining from some people that gets me. :# Although, I don't mind ranting here anonymously....LOL

I like what you said about people finding it easier to give up than try to change. That's probably very true. I think that's the part that sends me over the edge. If that is how they want it to be, that's their choice, but when someone says that they just can't and expect sympathy because of it, I tune out quickly. (Not meaning those who have real issues that they really can't get past.)
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Society has these "parts" scripted and waiting for us to act out . "You've worked all your life ,you deserve to take it easy, just sit down Sweetie ,turn on the TV , over eat , become old and drop out." They need these parts filled and played out , it makes them feel safe , secure .
    No thank you , I'll pass .
    I hear the imaginary fears and terrors from others all the time. "At your age" what if a bear eats you in the woods while backpacking , or you fall off a cliff , or get lost and starve. Kayaking ??!! What if you drown ? Have a heart attack ? All these imaginary things to be afraid of. None of them very likely to really happen.
    We fear the unknown, the unusual , the imagined .
    Why is no one afraid that if I sit down and over eat I will have a heart attack or stroke and die. Or worse live in poor health. Now those threats are likely . But no one seems to fear the real threat to me. Or them.

I don't have to tell you guys. If you're here on this forum you're already steering your own course. Just don't let anyone talk you down.

Like Arnold said in the latest Terminator. " I'm just old , NOT Obsolete ."

OK Sorry , end of rant. (((;