Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    very cool, @MeanderingMammal. i am so impressed with people who are able to race, i do not think i have it in me to go up to that level.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    very cool, @MeanderingMammal. i am so impressed with people who are able to race, i do not think i have it in me to go up to that level.

I saw that and thought of this from the late Dr. George Sheehan:

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

You have put entering a race on a pedestal, there are fast runners and slow runners. I started my first race not wanting to be last, if I am honest that was the only true goal. I now enter races as goal to train for. I will never win but I have met some truly inspiring and friendly people at them. Entering a race is now your new C25k W5D3. Go bash that one, have fun!!

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    i do not think i have it in me to go up to that level.

I started running just over two years ago, because I needed to lose weight and my job at the time meant a lot of travel, so running was an easy option. I say easy, but I've had corrective work done on both knees and ankles, so it also had some potential to be quite damaging. With that in mind I had a view that once I could run for 30 minutes/ 5K then I'd be able to do that 3-4 times per week and that's do me.

I fairly quickly discovered that I quite enjoyed running. By moderating my pace and building up I avoided the shin splints that had plagued me in the past.

Taking on board all the advice about running longer I went from 5K to 10K, and entered a trail race in May of last year, just as a means of testing my progress. I got 58 minutes, so a target to beat next time.

And that later point is what racing is to most people. It's improving. Even in my age range I'm never going to win one of these races, and given that I run trails the whole PB concept doesn't stack up either. The Ox had very aggressive hills and a soft surface, the Invader had fewer hills, but longer, so the courses don't easily compare. As long as I can beat my time in the Ox and Invaders next year I'll be happy. At this years 10K event I finished in 54 minutes, so taking a considerable chunk off my time from last year. I've got another HM in October, a second run of the event, so I've got a target to aim to beat.

Races also provide structure to the training. I'll start a new cycle at the end of next week to prepare for Clarendon, then I'll take about 6 weeks before starting a marathon cycle at the beginning of December.

On Saturday I was 107th of 250. The fastest runner was 1:22, so nearly an hour faster, and the slowest runner was 4:39, so nearly twice my time. In that context, there's only one person to race against.

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    That's really inspiring @MeanderingMammal and well done on your race.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well, I did W2/D2 of the Active 10K trainer this morning (the one @maggiekat7 was talking about last week). The usual 5 min warm-up, then an easy 10 min jog, then alternate 2 mins of fast runs with 2 mins of jog (repeat x2), then 8 min steady run, then 5 min cool-down. Apparently in terms of speed, jog < steady run < fast run. Anyway, I did ok on the slower 2 speeds but completely tanked the fast runs. I went too hard and ended up walking the last 30 seconds of both of them just to catch my breath. So, lots of room for improvement there.

Sounds like everyone else has been keeping at it. Awesome job on your race @MeanderingMammal !
    Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I tried my new shoes today by repeating the wk 10 run of 3 15 minute intervals. It was much cooler today. I don't know whether it was the confidence of the new shoes or the cooler climate, I was slightly faster. Completed 3 miles in 44 minutes. I followed my usual route and when I reached home, I had just started my 5 minutes cool down, so, went past my house till the end of the street and turned back. It was my longest run till date at 3.83 miles in 58 minutes.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Nice bling @MeanderingMammal and well done :)
    @ftrobbie yeah the heat can really make you suffer
    Good work on your runs and rides @Just_Ceci
    @LLduds it's hard to judge fast runs until you're used to doing them, and then it just becomes hard to do them (if you're doing intervals properly) good effort and you'll dial in your paces soon enough.
    @samra338 good run and well done on your new distance record!

Last night I had intended 20k, but once I got going I knew that wasn't going to happen. My legs are still heavy and jet lagged due to recent work travel. I went through 2 episodes of the Zombies, Run! program and covered a little over 13k all up. Downside to the Zombies run app, I had 4 or so Zombie chases UPHILL. They hurt (Looking back at Strava, it's no surprise they hurt. Stupid speed for uphill) I did ease back into truly cruising pace for the second half of the run, excluding the chases. Still it was a reasonable session.
    Group run tonight, looking forward to seeing my friends again as I've missed the last few group runs due to various stuff.
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 3 of B210K this morning. Three 17 minute intervals with a warm up and cool down. Ran 4.62 miles. I start week 4 on Wed and next Saturday I'm running my first 5K race, The Color Run. Getting excited! I'm going out of town this weekend and hope to fit in a run on vacation in Santa Cruz near my hotel on Sunday.
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Started week 1 of b210k today. I've been consistently doing 3 mile fun runs since graduating from c25k. Ended up doing 3.7 miles today.... the heat is a huge struggle even this early in the morning. Tried the treadmill once this past weekend because of the heat and mentally it was more of a struggle for me. Even though it took me a shorter amount of time to do a 3 mile run, it felt LONGER
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Finally finished W9D3 of Couch to 10k trainer. I've been cheating on that last 10 minute run. Last night I completed as written. Yay! On to week 10 Wednesday. 5k race on Saturday with about 600 runners.

Signed up for my first 10k on Halloween. They have a Monster Mash Mile, Frightening 5k, Terrible 10k, and a Haunted Hilly Half. Courses contain zombies, ghosts, and headless horseman. They suggest wearing a costume... we will see!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone- I love reading your updates and race reports!

It was 93 with a feels like of 103 when I left work yesterday, so I went to the gym to run. Made 3 miles in 28:54 (that's 42 laps in case you are wondering!). I'm signed up for a 5k in 2 weeks and hoping it won't be too hot at 7:30 in the morning and I can have a decent time!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I got the all clear from the physiotherapist yesterday to start running again, with a strict list of instructions! I did my first run last night, a whole 2km! Tomorrow I get to do 3km. He lied when he said my cardio fitness wouldn't have decreased, my HR was at 110% on the uphill section.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great work everyone!
    @romyhorse your cardio may have decreased a little but, but in a few runs you'll be back to where you were.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested, this was some video taken of the Invader Marathon on Saturday. A lot of the route was common to both races:

On Vimeo
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    thank you for all the suggestions to try a different app. i have used the zenlabs app and completed the first two sessions with great success. THIS is what i was struggling to find and i am again inspired to reach my new goal (10k runs).

because i am running longer distances than my 5k plan, my route has had to be altered and expanded to include a long gradual incline. i start 58ft below sea level and at about my half-way point (time-wise) i have reached 59ft above sea level. i do not like this. i do not like this at all. but it forces me to SLOW DOWN, which is good. big respect for you runners who PURPOSEFULLY add hills to their runs.

i also appreciate the new perspective into races, and it makes sense to consider the race as a goal to train for, and that the competition doesn't only have to be against other participants. i think i'll let the idea marinate a bit longer, but you guys definitely put a few cracks in that wall.

:)
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    because i am running longer distances than my 5k plan, my route has had to be altered and expanded to include a long gradual incline. i start 58ft below sea level and at about my half-way point (time-wise) i have reached 59ft above sea level. i do not like this. i do not like this at all. but it forces me to SLOW DOWN, which is good. big respect for you runners who PURPOSEFULLY add hills to their runs.

Keep at it and soon you will barely notice that change in elevation. :) Embrace the hills and eventually you'll start looking for bigger and badder :D
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Long time no see. My running went down the drain a while ago, haven't had the headspace to get back on track, but a first step is to poke my head through the door here again, so hello. And hi to new people as well.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Welcome back @AglaeaC , good to see you in here again :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Welcome back @AglaeaC , good to see you in here again :)

+1
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I currently run in the evenings about 7pm. Enough to let dinner settle but not so late that my endorphins keep me awake at night. Next week I'm helping at our church every night so won't get home until after 9. So looks like if I'm going to run it needs to be done in the morning.

QUESTION: How do I fuel for an early morning run? Do you eat first or after? or Both? My typical breakfast is either yogurt and fruit or eggs and toast. I may have to adjust to a lighter dinner and heavier breakfast/lunch.