What's your Kryptonite?

Options

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @nvsmomketo It is also very close to polenta, though polenta is usually cooked to form, and grits are, as Dan said, servered like a savory oatment, usually with cheese and butter. I've never seen the served sweet as Dan mentions above.

In other countries, polenta, corn meal, or corn flour are sometimes used as the terms there, depending on location.

If you are familiar with the Mexican food staple cornbread, it is what is used in that, but prepared as a porridge type meal.

Weird... I've never had grits before but I always pictured something crispy and possibly fried?

Colour me stunned. O_O
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    @nvsmomketo It is also very close to polenta, though polenta is usually cooked to form, and grits are, as Dan said, servered like a savory oatment, usually with cheese and butter. I've never seen the served sweet as Dan mentions above.

In other countries, polenta, corn meal, or corn flour are sometimes used as the terms there, depending on location.

If you are familiar with the Mexican food staple cornbread, it is what is used in that, but prepared as a porridge type meal.

Weird... I've never had grits before but I always pictured something crispy and possibly fried?

Colour me stunned. O_O

I think the name "grits" comes from the "gritty" texture. Corn is dried, then ground, and grits are just a coarser ground "corn flour." They can be cooked, formed, and then fried so like a sausage patty. There are about a million ways to make it.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just realized that I've successfully been around almost all of my kryptonetic foods this month and have been able to resist them at some point. If I indulged, it was just a bite or too and I was able to stop. I'm a binge eater so this realization is huge!

Pizza - have not eaten at all
    Potato Chips with Extra Shart Cheddar Cheese or Cheese Spread - had a couple, but they failed to thrill
    Dark Reese's - had a few but only 1 at a time. These are still yummy!!
    Pepsi - had a glass. It tasted awful. I think the bottle has gone flat, a first.
    Baked pastas - had a few servings of this on dates, but not to excess
    Egg Rolls - have not eaten at all
    Empanada - they were out at my local deli - YAY!
    Cheese - okay for many in this group, but not for me alas
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream, any flavor will do
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Grits....... My favorite breakfast was always grits, eggs over easy, and bacon, all mixed together with butter.... Minus the grits, I suppose I could still eat that. Grits just sort of made it special.

My main kryptonite is cake, specifically the local bakers birthday cakes she makes. Granddad's 90th birthday is next week and I'm dreading having to face that cake. :|

But:
    Pizza
    Chocolate in all forms
    Red Lobster cheesy cheddar biscuits
    O'Charley's rolls
    Chinese, all of it... I get carried away even if the options are lower carb
    Pasta in all forms
    My grandma's lasagna
    My grandma's anything aside from the things like greens lathered in bacon grease.

Hmmm, now I want big pot of her mustard greens. Time to go sweet talk my memal!
  • toadqueen
    Options
    I haven't dared delve back into the bad carby world, but I would say:

Eggrolls - maybe. I still am searching for an excellent inside out recipe (stir fry of the insides), but they all have way too many ingredients for me to experiment with.

They have low-carb wrappers that are made from coconut. Very expensive and I thought they tasted awful. I've made a filling for egg rolls that seem to be rather low-carb with 6 ingredients: ground pork, ginger, garlic, green onion, sesame oil, and soy sauce. The ratio is Fat 60%, Protein 21% , and Carbs 10%

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Grits....... My favorite breakfast was always grits, eggs over easy, and bacon, all mixed together with butter.... Minus the grits, I suppose I could still eat that. Grits just sort of made it special.

My main kryptonite is cake, specifically the local bakers birthday cakes she makes. Granddad's 90th birthday is next week and I'm dreading having to face that cake. :|

YES-- THAT is how grits should be eaten! YUM

And I hear you on the cake. LOVE IT.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    Granddad's 90th birthday is next week and I'm dreading having to face that cake. :

Don't dread it, just eat a little and relish every morsel!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Does it have flour, sugar and butter in it? Bam! Kryptonite!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I haven't dared delve back into the bad carby world, but I would say:

Eggrolls - maybe. I still am searching for an excellent inside out recipe (stir fry of the insides), but they all have way too many ingredients for me to experiment with.

They have low-carb wrappers that are made from coconut. Very expensive and I thought they tasted awful. I've made a filling for egg rolls that seem to be rather low-carb with 6 ingredients: ground pork, ginger, garlic, green onion, sesame oil, and soy sauce. The ratio is Fat 60%, Protein 21% , and Carbs 10%

I can't stand the taste of coconut, so no temptation there. It's the filling that I've loved most, and most of the filling should be low carb friendly. I'm just trying to find a recipe without 45 ingredients to try. And sesame oil is gross... LOL Would you send your proportions or a recipe? The only one I've found online calls for making psyillium husk dumplings with it. And it has a ton of non-standard ingredients. I'd love to find out what my local place uses to make theirs - then I could just make it like a crack slaw version!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I think "pop" is a midwestern thing. Growing up in New York, we all called it "soda." "Coke" was reserved for Coke. :)

And I never knew what grits were until I moved to Louisiana ten years ago. Seriously, I'd never even heard of them. Cream of Wheat, Farina, and oatmeal were the hot cereals we had available to us. Never grits. Also, when I first ate grits I added sweeteners like I'd always done with my oatmeal and thought they were disgusting. Eventually I learned to eat them with butter and salt, and then I grew to enjoy them. :)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Potatoes used to be until I allowed myself to eat a tiny bit in moderation every now and then if I budget carbs (under fifty total, around 30 net). Dark chocolate I have nightly if I've been good. :D I think the only thing I can't find room to budget in is my old favorite Mexican restaurant, but I make deals with myself, like thirty days on = one meal at Mexican with no carb limit. It's all about balance and moderation if you're in it for the long haul.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I can binge on nuts and cheese. Too much of a good thing is still too much!
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing I can't find room to budget in is my old favorite Mexican restaurant
    I still eat at Mexican places. Tostada or taco, no rice. I just eat around the shells, get extra avo and sour cream. Find it very satisfying. Has carbs of course, but I can budget for it. If it does take me over, its not detrimental :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Potatoes used to be until I allowed myself to eat a tiny bit in moderation every now and then if I budget carbs (under fifty total, around 30 net). Dark chocolate I have nightly if I've been good. :D I think the only thing I can't find room to budget in is my old favorite Mexican restaurant, but I make deals with myself, like thirty days on = one meal at Mexican with no carb limit. It's all about balance and moderation if you're in it for the long haul.

Order the fajitas with extra meat, ditch the tortillas, add avo & sour cream. Voila! Noche Mexicana!
    (sorry for the mixed Latin languages, lol)

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Our Mexican place has something called Pollo Loco - basically a chicken breast covered in queso cheese sauce with grilled seasonal veggies (summer squash, carrots, zucchini, and broccoli, I don't eat the carrots) smothered in butter. It's cheap, delicious and on plan. I either do that or the fajitas with no tortillas.

My husband however always gets the taco salad and always eats the shell anyways. What can I say.... he's still managed to lose 35 lbs.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @Knit--They have a seaweed felted sort of thing that is used to wrap sushi. You might try wrapping your egg roll mixture in that. Don't know what it costs, but it sounds interesting.
  • toadqueen
    Options
    @saraphim41 - I had forgotten about seaweed. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to check to see if I can eat it too.
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »

Don't dread it, just eat a little and relish every morsel!

I feel this is key with any kryptonite or any time someone falls off the wagon. Most of us are so used to inhaling our food we eat 8 cookies before we even taste the first one. If we take our time and savor each bite we can get all the enjoyment we want out of one cookie.

Most of us got this way through mindless eating.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I follow this thread from time to time was not coming up with anything to list. Currently anything that has carbs is off of my food list so that seems to be saving me. :) It seems what is be listed are often carb based foods for the most part. @parkdad73 makes a good point about slowing down when we eat. This morning I ate my almonds and coconut flakes and just finished a 800 calorie cup of coffee and boiled egg and I am stuffed. If I had wolfed down that down I could have eaten even more before I realized I was over stuffed.

I am starting to think my Kryptonite was NOT 'a' food but 'any' food that would stretch my gut. :(