New members - tell us about yourself

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Hello

My name is Anne and I am 57. Wait 57 how did that happen! I have 3 daughters and 4 grandchildren and a wonderful husband who has always supported me no matter what my weight is. I am only 5 feet tall so a few pounds makes a huge difference. I have lost 29 pounds and have been fighting for the last ten for over 7 months. Happy to be where I am but would sure like to finally reach my goal. We are heading to Italy for a month in just under 6 weeks. Hoping to loose a few pounds before we go.

Hi Anne, welcome to the group! Glad to meet you. Losing 29 pounds and keeping it off is already quite an accomplishment. Italy is beautiful September!
  • BRaye325
    klkarlen wrote: »
    I'll be hitting the big six-o this year, can I stay in the group then? :smile:

Hi Tina, welcome to the group! You're so close - you can do it. Of course you can stay. We have members from 40 and into their 80's. Feel free to invite your friends to join us too.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,204 Member
    Yes, Welcome Ann and Tina. I am 63 on maintenance and I plan to stay.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    welcome Ann & Tina :)
  • dschrader63
    dschrader63 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi everyone! I stumbled across this group and I figured I'd try and contribute.
    I'm Dan and I live in Houston. Married with 2 daughters and 3 step children all in their 20's. I spent 20 years in the military but once I got out, I started putting on weight. I'll be 52 this month and I'd like to lose 30-40 pounds and get fit enough to run a 10k again. I have Type II Diabetes as well as a list of ailments from my time in the Air Force. But I will not let that keep me from working toward my fitness/weight loss goals! Feel free to add me as a friend so we can share encouragement and motivation!
  • ianinho
    ianinho Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I'm Ian. I live in the nice part of Birmingham in the UK. I've been using MFP for over 4 years, mainly as maintenance, to stop me bingeing on Chocolate, and to stop me putting on too much weight in the Winter.
    I enjoy running, which I started about 5 years ago. I'm on the treadmill most days, and track calories etc on an Apple Watch.
    I consider myself fairly heathy, but I keep getting niggles and pains. I'm 56 and have no plans to retire. Kids (23 and 18) are recently launched and doing fine. So I want to stay healthy, and I've got the time to push myself a bit physically. I may be kidding myself, but there's nothing I can't do now that I could do when I was younger.
    So I'm trying to lose that last stone (14lbs) so that I can get a PB in my next half-marathon. I just hope my ankle/knee/hernia doesn't get in the way of progress again :-) And I think of every pound lost as a weight I don't have to carry around.
  • BBee5064
    Welcome Dan & Ian. Great to have u in the group
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Welcome, Ladies and Gentlemen. This is a nice group, lots of encouragement and understanding here. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
  • BRaye325
    Hi Ian, we look forward to getting to know you. It's so great to have a continue stream of new members joining us. This group has really taken off in the past few months, it's great to see!
  • traceyc013
    traceyc013 Posts: 132 Member
    Hi gang... I'm Tracey... I, am 51... Mom to two great teens one of whom had autism and down syndrome... I have somewhere between 80-100 pounds to lose and so far it's going well. I have lupus and RA and my exercise consists of... Walking. Slow and steady is going to win the race here.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Welcome Tracey. We look forward to hearing from you.
  • BBee5064
    traceyc013 wrote: »
    Hi gang... I'm Tracey... I, am 51... Mom to two great teens one of whom had autism and down syndrome... I have somewhere between 80-100 pounds to lose and so far it's going well. I have lupus and RA and my exercise consists of... Walking. Slow and steady is going to win the race here.

hi Tracy, you are so right Slow & steady does win the race. we look forward to supporting you in your journey x
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Welcome, all. I hope you find the support, information and encouragement you need, and even a few good laughs.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Hello I'm Julie 50 live in Oregon U.S.. Need loss 60 . Please feel free to send me a friend request. Together we can make this happen. Healthy and happy. :)
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    hi everyone, Shay here, 52 in Ontario, Canada :) I've restarted MFP for the nth number of times lol. So far i'm at day 75 with 39 pounds gone! so thrilled with that, now 80 to go! i normally lose super slow, so for me this is fast. Like many of you I've got a number of medical issues & with the latest one it is driving me to confront my obesity & get serious. Next Dr's appointment is mid August & I'm really hoping my numbers go the right way.
    trying to get & keep myself committed to eating healthy & within my calorie limits, so far, i'm doing ok with a few blips along the way
    looking forward to getting to know folks, feel free to add me, let's help motivate each other!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,204 Member
    Welcome guys! Very nice and helpful group here.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi, I'm Elizabeth.

I joined MFP in late January and lost 42 pounds (out of 95 or so) before heading off on the trip of a lifetime...

My husband and I both turned 50 this year, and we decided to make our own mid-life-crisis sabbatical. Along with our 12-and 15-year-old daughters, we bought train passes, packed carry-ons, and took off to travel around Europe for the summer.

I have worn my Fitbit, and logged every bite, even on the big day! I may not have lost much, but I certainly haven't gained, either; with a tiny wardrobe, it's easy to know what my waistbands have to say.

11 1/2 weeks later, we are finally heading home (on Wednesday) -- So excited to get back to a routine of walking the dog, weighing my food, and going to dance class!

Fit-and-Fifty, here I come...
  • Calimackey
    Calimackey Posts: 441 Member
    Hi. I'm Caroline. I live in Scotland, not far from Edinburgh. I've been using MFP on and off for a few years as a tool to record my calories. But I've never used the Group Discussions. This group looks like it could give me the motivation and inspiration to reach my goals. I'll be 59 at the end of this month, but in my mind I'm hurtling towards 60. I want to lose 20 lbs by then. It doesn't sound a lot but for me weight loss is very slow so I need to start now. I've just ordered a Fitbit and hope that it helps me with my exercise. I am pretty active (gym, walking, cycling, gardening) but the Fitbit will "keep me honest". Looking forward to getting to know you all.
  • vapeanut28
    vapeanut28 Posts: 16 Member
    Hello my name is Wendy. I'm 51 years old but physically feel much older which is one reason why I'm restarting this lifestyle change. I've been overweight for the past 30+ years mainly because I'm lazy. I hate to exercise. I hate to count calories/points etc consistently. I tend to eat out of boredom and since quitting work a few mm on the ago, I've managed to pack on another 13 lbs.

But, I'm tired! Tired of hurting everytime I get up. Tired of being ashamed everytime I look in the mirror. Tired of wearing "fat" clothes. Tired of sitting around in my butt. Tired of wishing I had the willpower to eat right and exercise.

I started mfp (again) about a month ago and have taken off about 10 lbs. No exercise yet because of the heat and because of a foot injury but as soon as I pick my son up from work, I'm hitting the road.

I would love to have some more friends on here. I really like to be able to read everyone's food journal. One of my problems in the past has been getting board with the same old food so read I ng others logs helps me come up with new ideas.

Off to pick up my son and take a walk.
  • BBee5064
    Hi, I'm Elizabeth.

I joined MFP in late January and lost 42 pounds (out of 95 or so) before heading off on the trip of a lifetime...

My husband and I both turned 50 this year, and we decided to make our own mid-life-crisis sabbatical. Along with our 12-and 15-year-old daughters, we bought train passes, packed carry-ons, and took off to travel around Europe for the summer.

I have worn my Fitbit, and logged every bite, even on the big day! I may not have lost much, but I certainly haven't gained, either; with a tiny wardrobe, it's easy to know what my waistbands have to say.

11 1/2 weeks later, we are finally heading home (on Wednesday) -- So excited to get back to a routine of walking the dog, weighing my food, and going to dance class!

Fit-and-Fifty, here I come...

Welcome to our group x