China & Keto?

Options

Replies

• Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A 100 gram serving of crickets has 5.1 carbs. Just a bit of useless trivia. Have a wonderful time and enjoy all the interesting protein choices China has to offer!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I thought Texas had an expedited online process for birth certificates with overnight delivery. I had to do it a few years ago for my nephews. Maybe it wasn't certified. Good luck!

Well, if they have it, it ain't online. I will try to call them tomorrow, but don't have any high hopes when dealing with a governmental agency. It will probably take 30 minutes to find the right person to talk to... :(
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »

I can't have them push it too far back, because I just bought airline tickets to go to Dallas on the weekend of Sept. 12th. I have lost enough weight, to where I am now not ashamed of the way I look, so that (Lord willing) I will be attending my 40th high school reunion. I have always wanted to go to one of these events, but always banished the thought because of my fatness ~ morbidly obesity.

What a great NSV... I hope you have a great time and that the China trip works out! Quite a compliment to be selected as the resource for that project!

Thank you for the kind words...! :)
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    @DittoDan I had a phone call from my #1Son today and mentioned your situation to him. Some background: He has a PhD from Cornell in Animal Science and has worked for the past 6-7 years at Michigan State as a researcher in the biochemistry of cattle reproduction. Two or three years ago he went to China on a project the Chinese government had contracted with MSU. His comments: "Bring your meds." "You will sometimes find it difficult to know what you are eating." "There is no equivalent of the FDA protecting food safety." He had no problems. His boss was hospitalized with gastroenteritis. This wasn't the first overseas trip for either of them and his boss has been to China and India before.

Thanks for the tip Keith! Yeah, definitely want to look out. I'll go to doc and see if he can give me some preemptive meds.
    PasPlus wrote: »
    I usually take the option of an apartment or hotel room with a kitchenette and go to the local markets for great fresh meat and leafy greens when in Asia for any length of time. Also, remember the Chinese food in China is not the same as Chinese food in the US or other western countries. They generally add less sugar for themselves - but they will look at you very strange if you decline the noodles or rice - a bit like saying - no really I don't want oxygen thank you. :-)

Have an amazing time.

Thank you... I am so worried about the "hanging-meat-in-the-market-with-flies-all-over-it-then-cooked-and-made-into-a-dish" type of food. I'd probably be better off in a fast food restaurant like Micky D'd or BK....
    Gnulie wrote: »
    A 100 gram serving of crickets has 5.1 carbs. Just a bit of useless trivia. Have a wonderful time and enjoy all the interesting protein choices China has to offer!

Yecth! I'm not intentionally eating any bugs!! LOL! Not gonna even try. Heck, if I watch one of those "survivalist" shows on TV and they eat a worm or bug, I almost gag and immediately change the channel... LOL!

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    95 pounds down, 29 to go.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    One other thought. If I go, and I don't feel comfortable eating their food, I can always fast.... I am so used to it now...

I still have enough fat on me to go probably 60+ days or so.... ;)

Features of a successful therapeutic fast of 382 days' duration

Keto / IF / Sedentary
    95 pounds down, 29 to go.

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    If you have someone still in Texas whom you can send a form giving them permission to get it (ask the government office what it would need and if it would to be notarized), they might be able to get it quicker.
  • DittoDan
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Update on the trip. Went to Texas Monday and got my birth certificate. While I was there, I ate the best ever beef ribs. One rib weighed one pound. But the bone was at least 5 oz of the weight. I could cut it with a plastic knife.

Here's a pic:

49jqxb4cwbat.jpg01qbk8ytys9s.jpg

The next day, I went to State Department and got my paperwork completed to get a Passport. It was sent to me today (Thursday) and now I have to go to Chicago to the Chinese Consulate to get a visa. I will get to visit with my daughter who lives there and she will keep my car while I am in China.

I will go Sunday evening, then to Consulate Monday morning. If I expedite the visa, I should get the it in time to leave on Wednesday morning at 10:00. Arrive in Shanghai on Thursday at 2:00 pm, a 14 hour non-stop flight. Then I have to take a cab to train station, then a train to Hangzhou about 2 hrs away.

I just purchased the airline tickets tonight.

I am excited, but its a lot of work to get all my ducks in a row....

I will probably start a blog while I am there and post a few pics every once in a while.

I hope this helps,
    Keto / IF / E.A.S.Y. exercise program
    100 pounds down, 24 to go.

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow the turn around on this has been quick. I hope you have a great time!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Update on the trip. Went to Texas Monday and got my birth certificate. While I was there, I ate the best ever beef ribs. One rib weighed one pound. But the bone was at least 5 oz of the weight. I could cut it with a plastic knife.

Here's a pic:

49jqxb4cwbat.jpg01qbk8ytys9s.jpg

The next day, I went to State Department and got my paperwork completed to get a Passport. It was sent to me today (Thursday) and now I have to go to Chicago to the Chinese Consulate to get a visa. I will get to visit with my daughter who lives there and she will keep my car while I am in China.

I will go Sunday evening, then to Consulate Monday morning. If I expedite the visa, I should get the it in time to leave on Wednesday morning at 10:00. Arrive in Shanghai on Thursday at 2:00 pm, a 14 hour non-stop flight. Then I have to take a cab to train station, then a train to Hangzhou about 2 hrs away.

I just purchased the airline tickets tonight.

I am excited, but its a lot of work to get all my ducks in a row....

I will probably start a blog while I am there and post a few pics every once in a while.

I hope this helps,
    Keto / IF / E.A.S.Y. exercise program
    100 pounds down, 24 to go.

Dan, I would have been tempted to take that rib bone home for some killer bone broth!! Just sayin'. C
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hope all is going well with your travel! Can't wait for pictures!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Safe travels, Dan. I look forward to the reports.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Update:

Have Visa now. Nice visit with daughter in Chicago. Lord willing, take off tomorrow (Thursday) about 10:00 am. 14 hour non-stop to Shanghai.

w277aj8kvagv.jpg

I'll keep everyone posted...

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    What a LOVELY pic! You both look so happy! :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful photo ! Gorgeous ! And your shirt looks baggy Dan.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just catching up on this thread. You're probably in the air now @DittoDan. Sending up a prayer for you. Have a great trip!
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sweet pic. Can see who she takes after. Chip off the old block.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wave as you pass over Japan, Dan! Are you making a stop at the Tokyo Disney resort? Great pic, you are looking wonderful. Enjoy the Peking Duck, just hold the wraps!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    How did I miss the photo? Great pic of both of you!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    What a lovely young lady! I'd say you both look proud of each other. Safe travels! Post some picture. We need a DittoDan on the road thread.
  • DittoDan
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Quick update, (I have to go to bed in a few).

plane was horrible, worse than domestic planes

Everything went well in China, paperwork-wise.

hard to communicate, not good data/phone

scooter people have death wishes in multiple ways

I pretty much drove 3/4 (in a taxi) way through Shanghai, it is HUGE!!!

taxi cab drivers = one hand on steering wheel, one ready to honk

Train stations are gy-normous

I must of been the only foreigner in the train station.

All people in train station were under 30 years old

trains are fast and super quiet

Taxi cab drive through Hangzhou was way cool. A lot of stuff that needs to be investigated.

Fruits/veggies for sale in tiny shops, one on every block, everywhere

the same for little shoe stores

most shops are open faced, they're like normal American strip stores, but no hardly any fronts. As if they are open all the time??? (IOW, it doesn't look like they can be locked up.. I'm gonna check it out)

Hotel is better than Internet pics. Best hotel I have ever stayed in. But I will say, that I had to jiggle the fancy push button on top of the toilet ~ it was running... (LOL!)

And I water fasted the whole day. Probably lost some weight. My next weigh-in won't be for 3 weeks. And I got dehydrated. But I'm ok now.

Gotta run, I'll post pics later.

Dan the Mandarin Man from China Land
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What an adventure.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Drink bottled water! Try "hotpot" and remembeer in China they eat everything with 4 legs except the table. Also, it will be really hot so hydrate.