Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hey all, haven't been here in a little while, life got in the way. Hope all of you are well. Have been having strong carb cravings and gave in to some. Haven't yet gotten on the scale to see the damage. Should hear about the job interview later this week. No longer gonna worry about it. Can't seem to find DittoDans new group of me to gen ice water fasting. If any of you find it let me know how. Gotta go walk the dog, and am having a burger later today. See ya.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful Ladies! I've been peeking in here and there. Well, we had another devastating flood at work on Friday. I barely had time to log off the computer and grab my purse before the raw sewage reached the office door. Who knows where I'll be working tomorrow. I'll have to rescue my things from 2 separate places now. Sure hate to leave my little haven. Sigh.

On a brighter note, the scale is now moving down again, hurray. And I've had some lovely walks to the park near my home. Here are some photos of my walk today.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Great pictures Janice. Sorry the flooding keeps getting your workplace. It's poured rain here since Fri night so walks/yardwork/gardening are out for a few days. If my basement floods everybody better grab a canoe. My house sits on a hill (essentially a big gravel pile). Kids finally settled in their new place (in my yard). Now I get to go thru everything & pack up anything they forgot & reorganize my cupboards that the grandbaby moved stuff in. I brought 2 kitties home to try & help with some mice that moved in. They helped so much with daughter's anxiety/depression I really don't care if they get any mice, tho that would be a nice perk. Have never had indoor pets so it's quite the learning curve.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Good luck organizing Kathie. I need to do that too. My ex-husband finally sold his mother's house and the kids and I have taken some of Grandma's things. She passed away 2 years ago and we offered help then, but he waited until now to do this. So I have piles of stuff in the basement and some in the living room to sort out and integrate into our crowded house. Many things will have to go ! I've got 3 big bags of my too big clothes started , ready to donate, along with some of this old and new stuff. But with vacation and gardening and pickling, there has been no time for this.

I'm at my mother's place now, but after all our rain, the ground is soaked. The sun is out and I'm in a bathing suit soaking up the sun, but covered in mud ! I was hoping to be able to dig up the carrots and beets , but it is way too wet for that ! I'm anxious to go ZC again, but need to get those root veggies out, pickle the beets, make my big pot of borscht and eat up the rest of the cucumbers and tomatoes. Just picked both of those along with zucchini. Going to make a nice roast pork tonight with some veggies. Happy Labour Day !
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Hello ladies. Sun's finally out so sitting on my deck procrastinating. Have to get at house & yard but BPC in the sun is far more appealing. My daughter is back in class & seems more settled, thank goodness. The poor thing is extremely directionally challenged & I've already had a call this morning cause she was lost on campus. Took a "shortcut" thru a building & got completely turned around. Hard to give directions over phone, when I've only done it once myself. But I got her there. Told her to find some kind of app where she could map her footsteps, then save it to use again. Don't know if such a thing exists. But when it's-40 out she'll want to walk indoors as far as possible.
    Have a good day everyone.
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Sad to see that interest in our little group is waning. Thanks for all the tips & advice. Really enjoyed chatting with all of you. Best of luck to everyone in the future. Will keep up with MFP friends on other posts.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Yes, I'm sad too. Where are all our old friends ? Hope everyone is keeping well. I'm pulling out a lot of the garden this weekend, and off to the Chinese buffet tonight.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm here! I just don't always have time to respond to each of your posts, I do enjoy keeping up with each of you though!

I have finally seen a total of six more of those awful pounds drop this week (I posted about it on the home page)! I'm 8 pounds away from my lowest, still, but am getting there. Today is my anniversary. Been married 23 years! Hubby is working today so I'm making beef and mushroom Alfredo (with fettuccine for him and son) and roasted Brussels sprouts with sweet rolls for the guys too.

I hate that our little sub group has waned so much. I am to blame too. During my fight with the scale these past few months has been terribly hard (in some ways) and when I only had the same old thing to say it made me stay away from the group forum. It's hard to keep asking for the same support over and over. Anyway, I am missing all of the original posters of this thread too. Seeing that some aren't even logging on to mfp any more led me to post the thread about knowing what's going on with you all when you are forced to be away, especially when you have been super active, as some were. I've made some friends here, and want to continue them for as long as this form of communication allows!

I love you all!
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    :) Hiya I'm Lorraine from South Staffs, UK. I'm 54 and have at least 140 lbs to lose :'( I started following the LCHF way of life about 10 days ago. I need some LCHF friends to help me along the way. So far, I'm doing well but dreading that 'plateau' - that's normally the time I see my enthusiasm and resolve to sort my weight once and for all go out of the window! Hope you all are doing well x x
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Judy from outside Chicago, IL, US. I've been lurking around for a while, trying LCHF. Finally got serious about it. So far, so good. But I have to be so strict with myself if I want the scale to move. This level of discipline is tough!

Anyway, I thought maybe this is the time to step out of the shadows. My life seems a lot duller than yours: Go to work and come home to hubs and 5 little dogs. Between us, we have 5 adult kids and 3 grandkids. We are in touch with all but one, but don't see them too often. My life is quiet, I don't have many friends, which I miss. Maybe I can hang out here with you.....?
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Welcome new Ladies ! I am Janice and I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

I know how difficult it can be at first when faced with the prospect of losing weight, especially when one has a lot to lose ! My highest weight was ( gasp! ) 284 lbs / 129 kg. I lost about 40 lbs in 4 years when I gave up eating grains and sugar, but upon switching to a lower carb diet, I have lost 54 lbs / 24.5 kg in the past year. I logged a new low weight of 190 lbs / 86.4 kg on Friday.

I have to credit my decision to join MFP and especially the LCD group here for my success since the beginning of March 2015. Eating LCHF feels like such a sustainable way of eating for me. I love it ! Although at times the weight seems to come off slower than I'd like, the way I feel is amazing ! I have never felt better in so many ways ! I have not experienced the usual frustrations of past dieting regimes. I honestly believe that I could eat this way forever, possibly with slight modifications here and there. And the support of the people here is amazing ! There is a lot of experience and knowledge here. Feel free to join in the discussions on the forums, and ask anything. There are no stupid questions. There is always someone here who can help. Also fee; free to send me a friend request. I eat mostly keto, with occasional experiments with higher carb counts, but want to transition back to very low carb, almost zero carb by the end of this month, and I log daily.

Well Ladies, I pulled out the last of my cucumbers yesterday, found a few green beans, picked a few tomatoes, but have more left on the vines that I hope will ripen soon, since I don't like to pick them green if I can avoid it. Today I will dig up the carrots ( I just planted a few) and the beets. So that means that probably this week I will be pickling beets, and making my long awaited borscht. I have to admit that my enthusiasm for the garden is gone, and I am looking forward to the end of the veggies, partly because I am losing my taste for them ( my fridge is a wall of cucumbers that I have lost patience with ) and partly because I am tired of all the work. I will likely scale back my planting dramatically next year.

I am now faced with the task of putting all the veggies and flower beds to rest for the season, but have lost my energy for this. I'm also mindful of my back and I am not looking forward to all that physical labour in turning over all that soil. It could be that all the work and stress since the flood at work has tired me out, along with my desire to spend my free time walking to the park instead of digging in the garden. I'm trying to find some balance in my day and it is hard. I also have a lot of work to do around the house and the thought of all awaiting my attention has me feeling kind of frazzled.

I feel unsettled since that darn flood. On Friday I went down into the wreckage on my own ( no help or support from management) and located my personal things and my old office contents, and brought some things home and stacked up boxes of office things in my makeshift office. I feel uprooted and homeless. I know it's a silly thing, but just the thought of having nowhere to store my coffee mugs, coffee and tea at work, along with my sweater etc, have me feeling down. I miss the cozy arrangement I had this summer. I'm hoping things will get better. I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude however.

I think that just by eating LCHF and having MFP to log onto daily helps me keep things in perspective, keeps my mood up and gives me the strength not to make unwise food choices when faced with stress. So that's a very good thing !

Well, off to get my housework done, then off to the garden. Have a lovely day !
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Welcome new ladies. I'm Kathie from north western Saskatchewan, Canada. I agree with Janice, the help, advice, & support from this group is phenomenal. I've been chatting with the ladies here since mid April. My weight loss hasn't been huge (21 lbs), but I feel great!
    @Janice. My cucumbers were so late starting & the little suckers froze the other night (black sticks now) so am relying on SIL to bring me some for relish. I have my whole family (sisters & mum) converted to my homemade stuff as opposed to the stuff you buy. Probably a little high in carbs, but soooo much better for you (no funky ingredients). My carrots & beets are still in the ground, but figure I have a few weeks to sort the house out before I worry about them. I've never made borscht, but my son & hubby love pickled beets. Then the work of cleaning up the flower beds waits, too. You're right, maybe time to scale back a little. Sorry the flood situation is still hanging over you, hopefully will improve soon.
    Well off to my basement (again!) to get the kid's stuff sorted & reorganize my crap. Have a good day all!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    P. S. Kathie, I'm also missing my men from the basement, who catered to me for the past 2 months. We had lots of fun all summer and I felt like a queen. If anything has come of this, it's the realization that I'm probably ready to start dating again. If I'm not too chicken, it's been so long.

• LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @Kitnthecat - Janice, I've sent you a friend request, hope that's ok :)

@keelybird57 - Hi Judy, looks like we've come to the right place for help and encouragement :)

@Sk8Kate -Thanks for the welcome Kathie and 21 pounds off is brilliant! I hope I can do the same! o:)
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Friend request accepted ! If you can get through the first couple of months LCHF, and get your initial questions answered, you'll soon fall into your own rhythm and trust this WOE to keep you going. That being said, I still feel adventurous even though I've got a good routine, and I like to shake things up a bit !
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Good for you Janice. I think re-entering the dating scene would be a little off putting, but have fun. Lot's & lot's of fun, lol. After 32 yrs with hubby, I'd be nervous too.
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Janice, I was single for 20 years before I started dating again. (widowed at 24 with babies) Anyway, dipped my toes back in around age 44. Met my husband when I was 47. The whole dating and being romanced was fun!
  • DominoTr
    DominoTr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Glad I found this group. I'm 55 and now I find my weight loss just stalls. Never had any issues in the past losing weight, but now? Oh boy. So frustrating, but now it's essential I lose weight and make some lifestyle changes. Early warning signs for NAFLD and heightened cholesterol. Not quite metabolic syndrome, but huge wake up call. Would welcome some new friends on this journey of going back to low carb. Thanks
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi again, and welcome to the new ladies! I'm trying to get back to normal routine after a lengthy unsettledness. My son who lives with us has mono and is undergoing tests to determine whether he has lymphoma, I've been ill and ended up in the hospital, and a dear sis-in-law died after a lengthy battle with cancer. It's been a difficult time and continues to be challenging until my son's test results put our minds at ease. We expect them to be negative; I surely hope they are. I'm feeling better; will be glad when I'm healed and finished with antibiotics.

Sorry; I don't have the ability now to respond to everyone individually. I'm just to happy for Karla and Janice that you're seeing such positive, long-awaited weight loss! Just grand!

I miss May and Jane, too---get back here, ladies! We need you! :)