Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Six5
    Six5 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    W4D1 today! Really focused on form, controlling my breathing and slowing down.
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    W5D3 completed yesterday bit of a struggle but I made it.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

@samhennings Yours had music? mine didn't so i ran my music in the background. depending on my mood.

@moyer566 I was using the NHS podcast, which had lots of cheesy music between intervals. Nothing actually released, so it all sounded like session musician knock offs of chart hits. After a while they repeated the tracks too much between weeks so it became a real grind.

Once I hit the "Just run 25 minutes" stage I figured with no intervals why use the Podcast?
    Fantastic time, congratulations!

@MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Thank You! I am so pleased with myself. I did walk for a few seconds a few times to catch my breath but am delighted to have done it!
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    W13D4 done today! Feeling good about everything. :smile:
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    W5d3 COMPLETED! Yay!! $
  • Six5
    Options
    W4D2 today! It was cold and rainy but I felt great at about the halfway point through my cool down.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Did W5D3 yesterday, went great.
    Tuesday will be W6 for me
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i think the thing to remember is with the longer runs and as intimidating as they are...our bodies know what to do. and if you don't let your brain win, your legs will keep chugging along.

at least that's what i discovered last weekend when my brain kept saying "you can't run an hour without stopping"

QFT

you can always go slower, don't ever let the brain rule the body. Have fun.

• ftrobbie
    Options
    Ive ditched the plan now. Completed WK7 last week and didnt see the point continuing with the podcast, the music sucks.

So I laid out a 5k course and ran that this morning with my own tunes on. Completed 5k in 32 minutes.

Walked for a few short spells to recover but otherwise running all the way.

Now I think Ill spend a little time running 5k to see if I can get my time down/havbe fewer breathers.

C25K is awesome, a few months ago I struggled with the 90 sec runs on week 2!

Well done. I knew you would succeed, and guess what you helped me to get off my less fat a**e an d commute a few days a week into work by bike, at least 28 miles every time I do it.

Cheers and continue to have fun

• Six5
    Options
    W4D3 today! Starting W5 Thursday because I have a super long day at work Wednesday.
  • mack427
    mack427 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Got w5d3 done. It wasn't a fast jog but I didn't stop. I intend to do the program again hoping for better numbers. But
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    mack427 wrote: »
    Got w5d3 done. It wasn't a fast jog but I didn't stop. I intend to do the program again hoping for better numbers. But

But?

If you want to go faster you can do the programme again, but most people get more success by running longer, doing the bridge to 10k programme. More of the same just longer sessions. This will build your aerobic base and allow you run a 5k faster.

Good luck and look forward to reading you graduate. :)
  • samhennings
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Ive ditched the plan now. Completed WK7 last week and didnt see the point continuing with the podcast, the music sucks.

So I laid out a 5k course and ran that this morning with my own tunes on. Completed 5k in 32 minutes.

Now I think Ill spend a little time running 5k to see if I can get my time down/havbe fewer breathers.

Well done. I knew you would succeed, and guess what you helped me to get off my less fat a**e an d commute a few days a week into work by bike, at least 28 miles every time I do it.

How on earth did I do that?! Not that it matter, thats awesome to hear! Well done!

I dont know what happened really. I think you were right, in that it was a mental thing. I took a month off after week 4 because I just couldnt face it, and when I went back to it everything was different/easier. I couldnt say why.

I was away at the weekend, still got up and did my 5k on the Saturday - running alongside the beach was lovely. Never thought Id see the day when I was "that" guy...
  • faithan84
    Options
    W14D2 done yesterday! I'm coming to the end!
  • mack427
    Options
    mack427 wrote: »

But?

If you want to go faster you can do the programme again, but most people get more success by running longer, doing the bridge to 10k programme. More of the same just longer sessions. This will build your aerobic base and allow you run a 5k faster.

Good luck and look forward to reading you graduate. :)

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. After the but was a celebration horn and applause just didn't show
  • ftrobbie
    Options

How on earth did I do that?! Not that it matter, thats awesome to hear! Well done!

I dont know what happened really. I think you were right, in that it was a mental thing. I took a month off after week 4 because I just couldnt face it, and when I went back to it everything was different/easier. I couldnt say why.

I was away at the weekend, still got up and did my 5k on the Saturday - running alongside the beach was lovely. Never thought Id see the day when I was "that" guy...

Different people cause different impacts on people. I was giving you advice on running but guess what I could take the same advice for me re cycling. Being "that guy" is all about quietening the mind and letting the body just get on with it. Well done, look forward to reading about your 10k run soon. :p
  • faithan84
    Options
    W14D3 done today. It was another fitness test... 12 minute "run as fast as you can". I'm pretty happy to report that my pace was 8:47 min/mile during the run! This is an improvement from 10:02 min/mile a month ago!
  • samhennings
    Options
    Ran 5k this morning, 32 minutes again. Feels great. Im running the first half a lot stronger, no breaks etc, need to push that through the second half now!
  • Six5
    Options
    W5D1 today!
  • mack427
    Options
    W6d1 not feeling well but commitment overrode that
    Yea me B)