Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    1500y 43:41

I was thinking of the swimming to walking conversion ratio at a 1:4 recently. I wasn't feeling the swimming love, so I took a walk for an hour yesterday. I wasn't especially pushing, but I did get red in the face and was sweating. So exertion was moderately okay.

I walked 2.84 miles (roughly 5000 yards) in an hour. So, I did the conversion to see what that would be like swimming.

It would be like swimming 1250 yards in an hour. Now, I'm *ahem* slow as Christmas and all, but I do swim about 80% faster than that even when I'm not pushing hard.

So either that conversion is way off, or I push myself a lot harder in the pool, or swimming is just easy.

Hey there Noel! I think that 1:4 conversion applies to running as opposed to walking. So if it takes me 55 min to swim 2.5 km, I should be able to run 10km in the same 55 minutes. So when I do say a 5km swim, I find it takes me about the same time in which I believe I should complete a half marathon (21 kms)!

So to find your swim equivalent, figure out what distance you would swim in an hour, multiply that distance by 4 to find out what distance you should be targeting for an hour of swimming!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    LOL. I doubt I could actually run for an hour.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    3.3km 74min
    Beginning to ramp up the distance!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    That swim to run ratio would mean I should be running close to 12km per hour. Ain't no way in hell that's happening!!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    3.3km 74min

I have huge respect for anyone who can do long continuous swims!!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder issues, @emmab0902 -- it sure sounds like a re-start is needed.

Yesterday I celebrated my birthday with a 3000 yd swim and then ran/walked 3.5 miles. All that just to go to dinner with no boundaries. It worked out nicely.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    That swim to run ratio would mean I should be running close to 12km per hour. Ain't no way in hell that's happening!!

Yes, my ratio would work out to something similar and no way I could run that fast! I'm working on it though.... I've gone from 8.5 and am now averaging 9.75, my goal is to reach 10km
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    3.3km 74min

Well done!
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder issues, @emmab0902 -- it sure sounds like a re-start is needed.

Yesterday I celebrated my birthday with a 3000 yd swim and then ran/walked 3.5 miles. All that just to go to dinner with no boundaries. It worked out nicely.

Happy belated birthday!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @emmab0902 That Sucks. Protect what you have as much as possible.
    @AquaticQuests 10km run and 15km swim that close to each other will be a challenge.
    Noel and gently Great hearing your comments ladies.

Short morning swim in a very crowded pool. Lapping multiple swimmers and that was with the breast stroke. 2x250m crawl and 2x250 breast.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    1500y 43:41

I was thinking of the swimming to walking conversion ratio at a 1:4 recently. I wasn't feeling the swimming love, so I took a walk for an hour yesterday. I wasn't especially pushing, but I did get red in the face and was sweating. So exertion was moderately okay.

I walked 2.84 miles (roughly 5000 yards) in an hour. So, I did the conversion to see what that would be like swimming.

It would be like swimming 1250 yards in an hour. Now, I'm *ahem* slow as Christmas and all, but I do swim about 80% faster than that even when I'm not pushing hard.

So either that conversion is way off, or I push myself a lot harder in the pool, or swimming is just easy.

I've gone through the same mental math. I can swim 1.5 miles in 72 minutes; I can power-walk 4.25 miles in that same time (I've clocked it.) So the 1:4 conversion doesn't really work for me either.

Oh, and I swam 1.5 miles in 72 minutes today.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a swimming to walking conversion .. But I do doubt it is reliable.

Most fit people will walk around 3 miles in an hour (on the flat) - less if the scenery is nice I guess. It is the usual rule of thumb for walking. I understand it is quite hard to do more than 4 miles, and you really have to push for that - or start doing speed race walking technique I guess.

As we know from this thread, fit people Swim at vastly differing speeds. (Ok some of us are super fit, but the difference is more than the walker's 33% between 3 and 4).

Hope it was a good walk!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi there everyone.

Yeah it's just a general rule of thumb (closer to 1:3.75) but doesn't necessarily work for all.
    Also, I think it only works when comparing running/ jogging and swimming.
    For walking the ratio is definitely different since with walking the distance covered over a defined time is shorter than with running so that screws up the math - Noel that's why when you converted it didn't work - perhaps a 1:3 or 1:2.5 is more to the point when walking?

If you look at the elite times in running and swimming you will find that the top swimmers swim 5 km in about the same time the top runners run a half marathon (21 km) - about an hour.

But then again if you don't usually run (like me) then if I woke up one day to run, I would be unlikely to hit that ratio, and it would probably take some significant running training (just like with the swimming) to hit the target times!

Here's an article on the point: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/21/health/run-vs-swim-statistician-says-the-score-is-in.html
    Apparently women are more efficient swimmers too! :smile:

I'm not sure if I can finish a running half marathon and how fast, but I'm hoping I'll be able to do it in 2 and a half hours or less.
    My ratio says I should be able to do it in about 2 hours. But I don't run, and haven't built up the strength in the lower body that helps with the running, so I would be happy to finish it in 2.5 hours. Even slower lol. My aims may have been loftier if I'd been doing some running training, but I haven't :anguished:
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    Actually, last night's swim (we finish at 10:30pm)
    Total 3,500m 90minutes
    400 Warm up
    400 8x50 one slow one fast (1 min)
    900 4x(100- 75- 50) 2min per 100m
    600 6x100 on 1:55
    300 6x50 kick on 1:00
    700 4x(100-25-50) on 2min the 25 all out
    200 cool down

We were 7 in a lane so would not have been able to do more than 100m at a time
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - after a bit of back and forthing on here (lack of motivation, no sleep, long hours at work, general annoyedness) I want to be properly back so am logging everything again (weight has piled back on so food is getting logged too). Swam over the weekend. Swam, 2.2k yesterday. Swam 1.8k this morning. Feeling better.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    A slow session last night. A lot of soreness from trying to run the previous day. 2500 yds in 65 minutes. Nice clear evening and only one other person in the pool.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Feel for you Emma. I swam today 900 YD = .5 mile: @ 33 min.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Rain interrupted 2.175 km in 66 min
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2100m

2X (50 free 50 scull 100 br)
    4X 50 IMO
    8X25 drill
    8X50 alt free and back on 60
    8X 75 alt br and back 30s rest
    125 free
    125 back
    50 easy

Shoulder very sore tonight. I think the end is coming
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1650y 46:39

My husband asked about my workout today. I'd mentioned I'm slowly increasing yardage in preparation for next summer's swims. He was trying to wrap his head around the distance, not being a swimmer and not thinking in terms of yardage or meters. I finally said, "It's about the same distance as when I did the Boston Harbor Sharkfest."

"So, it's not so much an event as Wednesday."

I laughed and explained that an open water event does make it a little different, but more or less true.