Replies

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ^ What a nifty resource!!
  • LLduds
    Options
    Went to packet pickup this evening for my first ever HM that is coming up on Sunday....lots of stuff in there!! Shirt, hat, weird scarf thing, gloves it will never get cold enough for me to wear, cooler bag w/ice pack, plastic blinky lights that maybe go on your shoelaces (?) At the finish line I think we also might get pint glasses plus finisher medals :)

h5g0bauz8zi2.jpg
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Went to packet pickup this evening for my first ever HM that is coming up on Sunday....lots of stuff in there!! Shirt, hat, weird scarf thing, gloves it will never get cold enough for me to wear, cooler bag w/ice pack, plastic blinky lights that maybe go on your shoelaces (?) At the finish line I think we also might get pint glasses plus finisher medals :)

h5g0bauz8zi2.jpg

Nice haul!

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »

h5g0bauz8zi2.jpg

The weird scarf thingy is probably a buff (or another brand). They absolutely rock! http://www.buffwear.com/
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your HM, @LLduds Have fun!
    @JSC145 Thanks for the link...yes, it's much better now, have some pain in the morning for a few minutes and then it clears up. I have been massaging my feet everyday. There are some nice videos on YouTube demonstrating the massage.
  • LLduds
    Options
    Good call, @taeliesyn! It is a buff (or buff-like knock off)!!!
    Thanks @samra338!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to buy a buff, good luck @LLduds

I did a run yesterday at 5pm. I felt like i had more umph but I kept having to stop because of traffic. I decreased my pace to 11:30 overall with walking at the beginning and end and 11:00 on the fully running miles. I did 5.2mi

I feel good about it. tomorrow I want to try eating something before my long run so i can get used to running with something in my stomach. it seemed to help last night but there was some queasiness. i would like to be able to eat before races
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks for the link, @moyer566
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @JSC145 you can use this to help you get close to what you should wear in winter. well, actually, all year round.
    what to wear
    It's a good starting point and then you can adjust to personal comfort from there

• mbaker566
    Options
    I just got back from running a whole 9.5 miles. I never stopped for a walk once. And in good time
    Brr cold
  • LLduds
    Options
    Good run, @moyer566!!
    I am super-duper nervous/freaking out about tomorrow. Some sleepy time herbal tea and am now forcing myself into bed with the goal of getting 8 hours of zzzz's. Gear is all out and ready to go, training is done, now the rest is mental :)
    See you all on the other side!!!
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just ran my first 5K race (31:58!!!) and now I've graduated from C25K, and I'll start B210K on Monday!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Good luck @llduds. In sure you will be great
    @faithenfire@gmail.com welcome
    Rest day for me
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Sorry haven't been around much.

@LLduds good luck, if you've not already started
    @faithan84 welcome, nice time, as you run more it will come down, trust us
    @moyer566 good to see you getting over your cold
    @taeliesyn nice going on taking it easy and the 6 hour run. Shame that your body reacted so badly in the last couple of hours. Hopefully taking it easy for a few weeks and allowing your body to recover might make a difference.

Sorry if I missed anyone else

Last weekend had the offroad duathlon. It was wet, they closed part of the trail run course later in the day due to health and safety concerns, the mornings duathlon race really chewed up the course. Good points, I finished in some atrocious conditions and didn't feel out of place. Bad points for me, 2 equipment failures, laces on my cycling shoes snapped in transition 1 so jury rigged them but not well enough to stop them getting caught on the pedal spindle. Also brakes failed in the clagging mud so spent 4 minutes during the race trying to get them operable enough to finish safely. In the end I was covered in mud and smashed my ribs, using a bush/ tree as an emergency brake when the brakes failed. So finished but didn't enjoy it enough to repeat the experience next week. However I have signed up for a road duathlon 29 Nov.

Training wise should have started a 10k programme last Monday which has 7 running sessions a week but 4 of these can be substituted with cross training. Done the cross training but not the running, the trouble is the sessions left are the hard ones and I wimped out this week, not wanting to embrace the suck. Motivation is clearly not high enough at present.

Have fun everyone
  • LLduds
    Options
    I did it - my first half marathon!!! It was another bridge race, and both climbs on the bridge (over and back) were the most physically challenging. However, the worst of it was actually miles 11-13.1 as they were the most mentally tough - that's when the "just quit and walk" voice really took over (but it didn't win). After ascending the bridge the second time (the top of it was about 9.5 miles along the course), I started having some pain in my left knee. After walking for a minute, I was able to work through it and finish strong - 2:16:42 (chip time)...a pretty good time for me!! Per Runkeeper, my average pace was 10:27....I had to start the app a minute or 2 before the starting gun though, so probably a wee bit faster (but an important "wee").

I got 2 finisher's medals (one for the race, one for the Texas Bridge Series). Pics below!! I'm also adding a photo someone else took of the bridge :)

6vbq2zd928rn.jpg
    83l4l7csgzuu.jpg

P.S. - @ftrobbie - that sounds like a god-awful race!! I hope your ribs are feeling better!!!

• ftrobbie
    Options
    @LLduds Congratulations on the HM, bridge races are killers, people never realise how steep the bridge decks are. Looks like you had a great day, well done again.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @LLduds ref the duathlon, I paid for it so I did it. The course is designed as an off road challenge, the weather just made it more so. I did a complete overhaul of the brakes and found the culprit, one of the brake pads was back to the metal. Waiting for new pads to arrive so can get the bike up and running. I had not expected the pads to be worn so quickly 900 miles. Although the other pad looks absolutely fine. Will compare with a new one when it arrives.

Have fun, am out to embrace the suck, doing one of the hard sessions this morning rather than tomorrow by which time I'll talk myself out of it!!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Suck session done, it was horrid and way off pace, but at least that is one nagging annoyance crushed. Looking forward to the next suck session already (not). :D

Have fun
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @LLduds nice :) you look very happy in those pictures.
    @ftrobbie suck sessions suck

I did 3.77 recovery run, i really couldn't get slow enough. Brain was annoying for the whole run, my legs feel shot from the run on Saturday. supposed to do 4.5ish tomorrow at a 12:30ish pace. it's going to be rough.
    though i did look ahead and it does look like the next weeks are going to be even tougher.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @LLduds
    @ftrobbie Sounds like you did well to finish. I am sure that you will find the road duathalon a breeze after this one!
    @moyer566 well done on getting out there.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @taeliesyn nice going on taking it easy and the 6 hour run. Shame that your body reacted so badly in the last couple of hours. Hopefully taking it easy for a few weeks and allowing your body to recover might make a difference.
    A few weeks?? I had my lowest mileage week in about 6 months last week. That'll do me for recovery! :D