Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie honestly, it was the ice. not everyone is good at cleaning all sidewalks and not all roads were meant for running.

Since i have the race on Thursday, I'm considering skipping today, 1-3 miles, easy pace tomorrow, rest/yoga/packet pickup weds, race on thursday.

I want more snow so I can run it!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @LLduds I find that my HRM pod chafes after about 10 miles, and with sweat running down my chest I start to notice that quite quickly. Vaseline helps, and you may find it helps with the sports bra as well.

So after taking it easy since my last HM I'm now starting back up again with some structured training. Things aren't really any better at work so I do have a bit of anxiety about being able to fit all my running in. The change to the new job in August has meant I've been flat out since and I'm all over the place, with many different hotels. I'd been intending on using a Sufferfest plan to improve my cycling performance, but I haven't had the stability to make the most of that, although I have used the turbo a reasonable amount in the gap. They're all threshold or proper HIIT sessions, so the pain is real every time I go out to the turbo.

So tonight I'm in a place I haven't tried before, right on the Birmingham and Fazely canal. So 3km up the towpath, then turn around for a decent session to start my marathon training off. A little faster than I'd intended, but running in the dark with a head-torch on means that it's a bit trickier to judge pace. The towpath was quite narrow and muddy as well, so I could have done with my trail shoes instead of road shoes.

I'm still not that keen on out and back sessions, although easier in the dark with no distant points of reference that I could watch. My head torch was giving about 10metres of visibility, and that was my lot.

• mbaker566
    Options
    I took an easy run this morning. I just wanted to keep my legs loose and needed to go slow because of the ice anyways.
    i ran 2.6, and the race is thursday so I'll be doing some yoga tomorrow focused on my quads, hamstrings, hips and periformus. so nervous

I think my next race I migh look for one that has a finishers medal, though i do get a fleece from this one. so that will be nice
    turkey_trot_gear.jpg
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi, ran 3.0 miles today, very slowly---seeing me run on the snow and ice must have been humorous, although maybe not as funny as @LLduds being chased by a wild boar...runkeeper congratulated me on my "75th fastest run!!" Anyway..anyone recommend yak tracks or something like it? Thanks!:)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I haven't seen any 5Ks around me that give out bling.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @kimadm4 I haven't tried those yet but I hope to get a pair for Christmas. my old postal guy recommend them. Said they have been a lifesaver.

@MeanderingMammal I've seen a couple, but I'd be looking at a 10k or more.

oh in other news, fiance is considering taking up running. Though he is nervous because he has a metal rod in his thigh. told him I'd do the c25k with him if he wanted. he is has some old school ideas about weight loss, like it must be done in the gym. and stomach fat won't be lost by cardio and you have to use gym machines. and a calorie is not just a calorie. fat and sugar calories are different. maybe I can make him a deficit believer-sorry off topicish
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I have tons of 5k medals, would much rather get a hoodie!

This is what I came away with from my race on Saturday, although I did have to purchase the beanie cap.
    0bpzjqmqzpc7.jpg

• mbaker566
    Options
    good stuff. @Just_Ceci

Can i just race for stuff? hoodies, t-shirts, etc. jk-sorta :wink:
  • Just_Ceci
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is my new favorite running shirt from my Girls' Bike Group:
    12235088_10153748284899414_8225238415620922480_n.jpg?oh=7cc1509a5d8d74218d5fae4bd6428989&oe=56FACBB9
    ETA: sponsored by Colavita!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I am thinking of running in this

82l43ss09zsy.jpg
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    So this evening was the first of my midweek long runs, 15km. I went the opposite way down the canal. Flagged a bit towards the end, but it was a good session. A bit slippy underfoot so I could have done with trail shoes rather than road.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    no run, just yoga. I've been eyeing all the ice with suspicion. I'm scared I'll slip and fall. Pessimist at heart.
    pick up race packet and then go teacg aerial yoga tonight.
    race tomorrow. eeek! It really did sneak up on me
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 good luck with the race.

For those in the States enjoy your Thanksgiving

Had a better run tonight 4.5 miles at 9:52 pace, so a minute per mile better than Monday morning with broadly similar heart rate profile. Another night where sheer bloodymindedness beat the urge to just sit on my backside and be cosy.

Need to capture the euphoria of getting it done. So worthwhile. Enjoy your training.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    thank you and impressive improvement @ftrobbie
    maybe try a new place to run? or run for a sunset/sunrise location?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I hit the gym yesterday after work for a quick run (2 mi - 19:11), then an hour on the stationary bike. Today, the weather cooperated enough for me to get in a good bike ride at the national park- 17.21 miles in 70 minutes. Trying to make room for all the food I'll be consuming tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie Thanks for the congrats on the sub21 :) Glad to see your training is headed back where it belongs.
    @moyer566 Good luck with your race! Enjoy the atmosphere and have fun!!
    @MeanderingMammal Nice to see you reporting in again :)

Everyone else, good work on keeping at it! I can't imagine dealing with ice and snow like most of ya'll have to.

Still mentally funked, it always happens to me this time of year. I'll drag myself out of it eventually. Still running every day, aiming for a crack at a sub 20min 5k at parkrun next week, when the parkrun is having a pacers day. Only 3 weeks until the 47k trail race too.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Gobble, gobble...ran the Turkey Trot 10K today! So many people and ugly course, but got it done!! Now a nap before the big dinner :) Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans, happy Thursday to our international pals!!

onecw1e5vhgx.jpeg
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Nicely done

Anyway, another 6km along the canal this evening Good to get out again, realised this evening how much I'd been missing the consistency of getting out and clearing my head. The whole hotel licing thing doesn't help, but as long as I'm careful about finding somewhere I can run from then it works out ok.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @LLduds you are connecting a nice bling set
    @MeanderingMammal nice to see you out running again, hope the training continues to go well. What training plan did you decide on in the end?
    @Just_Ceci nice set of training run and rides
    @taeliesyn nice to see that streak continue

Had a duathlon this morning, this time on a motor racing circuit, nice sweeping bends so very little braking required (no brake failure!!) 3km run, 10km bike and 2 km run to finish off, expecting a time around 52:45. Running wasn't great, but overtook a number of people on the bike including one poor soul twice. I ran the last 2km with a stitch, first one in 18 months. It was really cold and windy, I really enjoyed it, it was cheap and would do it again.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Race went well. More details to come. Not by a computer. My time was 55:16 for the race.

Did 10.3 miles today. Felt good and natural. Ran with Gu. It was fine. Idk if it helped or not.