Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    It has rained here since Wednesday. Supposed to stop today! I ran 3 miles at the gym on Saturday in 29:37. Hoping for sunshine and warm enough to get outside this week!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I looked at the race sheet. my time was actually 54:39. I think the garmin had extra time cause i didn't hit it right as i went under the gates.
    It was a lot of fun. I started too fast. I had every intention of going slow but everyone was passing me and I thought I was going super slow. (this race discouraged headphones). I don't think i was but i found my pace about 1.5 in. It was warm which was nice. I was 463 out of about 600, but that doesn't include all the people who didn't make it "in time." there were about 2000 people in the race, most did the 5k.
    I ran the whole thing. according to the race time I did about 10:55. I was hoping for a little faster but I'm still happy.
    8untus66yl0m.jpg

m7vyxu4odz0a.jpg
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Good work! What distance did you run?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci fingers crossed for you
    @moyer566 a lot of people go off too fast, it's the adrenaline. If you can pace yourself you do seem to be going backwards as the adrenaline junkies fly by. You have to trust your timing and plan. I suspect if you got it right you should have started going past the people that passed you from about halfway. Well done on finishing. About the pace there is always the next one so don't sweat it, just be happy.

Ref you comments earlier about sunrise/sunset, I am afraid I go to and from work in the dark at the moment, this is when the motivation needs to kick in. Given I know what motivates me and the Ultra in June is too far away, I have just entered 2 more duathlons, a 10:40:5 in January and a 5:20:2.5 in April. They should keep me motivated to just get out there. 8 weeks to next duathlon. Super dupes
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Thanks @LLduds and @ftrobbie
    It was an 8k

I blogged here with more detail.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie I'm using the Endomondo plan, just trying to be a bit more rigorous about the recommended pacing though for this cycle.

So yesterday was the first of my weekend long runs, 15K which is pretty much where my standard midweek long is going to be throughout, and bottom end of the weekend longs. I fairly quickly increase the distances on the weekends, but I've got a calibration run this week so all that might change after the Cooper test.

All felt ok, although I could feel the jump in mileage, going from 5-10K per week up to 40 in a week was a bit of a shock to the system. I can feel it today though, legs feel fatigued and a bit sore. Nothing serious just aching muscles. So tonight was a 4.5k recovery run. Yesterday was very blustery, tonight was wet.

I'm realising that whilst I'd intentionally taken a break, I've missed the freedom of the run and the structure of the training. It's very therapeutic for me and whilst I'd been finding work was too busy t allow me time to run, I'm going to have to be more rigorous about finding the time.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @ftrobbie I'm using the Endomondo plan, just trying to be a bit more rigorous about the recommended pacing though for this cycle.

So yesterday was the first of my weekend long runs, 15K which is pretty much where my standard midweek long is going to be throughout, and bottom end of the weekend longs. I fairly quickly increase the distances on the weekends, but I've got a calibration run this week so all that might change after the Cooper test.

All felt ok, although I could feel the jump in mileage, going from 5-10K per week up to 40 in a week was a bit of a shock to the system. I can feel it today though, legs feel fatigued and a bit sore. Nothing serious just aching muscles. So tonight was a 4.5k recovery run. Yesterday was very blustery, tonight was wet.

I'm realising that whilst I'd intentionally taken a break, I've missed the freedom of the run and the structure of the training. It's very therapeutic for me and whilst I'd been finding work was too busy t allow me time to run, I'm going to have to be more rigorous about finding the time.

Great to read that you are trying to find time for yourself, it's important, have noticed the increased activity on your Strava account. Hope it all goes well.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I ran 9 miles for my long run yesterday, and that damn knee pain started in again around mile 7. Same as during my half - a dull ache on the lateral aspect of my left knee. I can run through it, the problem is more that it tightens up after the run. I'm icing it for several hours post-run; I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see how it does. Anyone else run into this with long distances? I'm already lifting weights with focus on developing opposing muscle groups...not sure what else to do. Doesn't seem severe enough to warrant a doctor visit (right?).
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    I ran 9 miles for my long run yesterday, and that damn knee pain started in again around mile 7. Same as during my half - a dull ache on the lateral aspect of my left knee. I can run through it, the problem is more that it tightens up after the run. I'm icing it for several hours post-run; I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see how it does. Anyone else run into this with long distances? I'm already lifting weights with focus on developing opposing muscle groups...not sure what else to do. Doesn't seem severe enough to warrant a doctor visit (right?).

I am not a qualified physio or doctor so ultimately it is up to you. However from my stance the issue is whether you think this is a stress issue, the muscles holding the knee are just not strong enough yet, too big an increase in mileage too soon or whether it is a true biomechanical issue, after x number of steps the knee is basically saying I've had enough and starts to complain. Usual advice in either case, back off the mileage a bit, run on alternate days and understand whether the problem starts to get better or worse and then build slowly again. 10% increase in total mileage week on week and the long run being no more than 25% of your total mileage. Each of us is different but I have pushed through calf issues by running slightly less and having calf compression socks to support the muscle more. You may look to supporting the knee with a light support and see how that goes or you may need to look at how your shoes fit and whether that is compounding the issue. Hope you can work through it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »

Same caveat as Robbie on this one, I'm not a clinician and would suggest a physio might be worth a visit.

There are a number of things that could contribute though:
    • Overuse - you've increased your mileage rapidly and I don't recall any cutbacks, it could be that you need to ease back your mileage. Whilst your intent to hit marathon in about a year after starting is achievable, it's pretty fragile as it doesn't leave any scope, for recovery and could lead you into injury, so you do need to be very careful about taking the messages. I'd also observe that you've gone straight into quite a lot of racing, which puts different stresses on the system, with racing being more intense.
    • Your shoes might be approaching being lifed out. Depending on type and how you run you can expect between 300 and 500 miles from a standard pair of shoes. Many people find lower leg aches and pains to be a reliable indicator that shoes are wearing out.
    • You might have a gait issue that contributes, or it may be the camber that you run on. As you're mainly running roads that probably doesn't help as there is no let-up. Try trails for a bit of variety.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I think they all have good advice.

6.65 build up. it felt hard. and i was hoping to build up more than i did but my legs have been feeling very heavy
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    It was wet, it was cold, I was tired but I still got out and did 35mins at a slow pace. Hopefully mornings will get better.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @LLduds Nice bling :) and well done!
    Regarding your leg pain, I agree with Robbie and MM. There is a wide range of possible causes. I'd drop mileage a bit for a few weeks and then build slowly again. If it comes back, definitely time to see a Dr or a Physio. No reason not to see one sooner though.

@moyer566 Well done on your race! I loved the recap on your blog. The race surge is a hard beast to tame, but it is definitely worth it.

@ftrobbie Well done on your Duathlon mate, glad you're enjoying them! Try and build your weekly mileage long before your ultra though. 69 miles is no small task! Do you have a plan for it?

@Just_Ceci Hope you get out for your runs, I see you're been braving the cold for some rides!

I'm still ticking along, tried a 30:30 session last night. 30s@vV02max, 30s@half vV02max. Which meant I was aiming for 30s @3:30, 30s@7:00. Total failure, 30s isn't quite enough time for my watch to really deal with the gps fluctuations around the course so sticking to paces was hard. Missed most of the fast ones by going too slow, and was definitely too slow on the slows. That was because I didn't feel like throwing up though. Then some social cooldown running and the group run, where the legs felt a little heavy, but I still managed a top pace of 2:43min/km in a sprint off towards the end. Now if only I could hold that pace for more than about 50m
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn yep have a 24 week plan starting 4 January basically running 5 days a week, I have to get back there. It was why I was trying to use a 10k improver just to get back to running but I really don't enjoy the big suck sessions. For the Ultra, single long runs start at 12 miles and just get longer, peeking at 30 miles with the shorter long run weeks stressed by doing back to back runs. Dependent on how training is going I am hoping to throw in a 40 mile trail race in April/ May time. The plan I think will be fine, it is whether I can get back to getting out in the cold and wet to do it. I basically have 4 weeks to generate some good habits again and to do some long slow runs. Hopefully trying to use the holiday season as a spur.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @ftrobbie Good to hear mate, whats the weekly mileage max out at on your plan?
    I'm sure you'll get yourself going again. The cycling will be helping a bit too.

Although I'm still averaging 70k a week, I'm struggling with routine at the moment. My puppy runs have reached the point, due to heat where I can't head out when I get home from work and then tag the puppy run on the end. So then I need to try and delay and no one likes sitting around in sweaty gear. I need to suck it up and get up to do the puppy runs in the morning I think.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @taeliesyn that's when I do it. 4am. though my distances are at most 7mi on weekdays. I need a post run nap.
    @ftrobbie i find those conditions wake me up. otherwise, i don't think i wake up till mile 2
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've really been bad about just defaulting to the gym lately for runs. (In my defense, it did rain for 117 straight hours here last week!) I am better about getting my shoulder PT done when I'm in the gym too because they have the proper equipment.

Yesterday, the sunshine called my name, so I left work early enough to get a good 10 mile bike ride done. Today I will run (probably at the gym. sigh)

I plan to start on a 16 week half marathon training plan next week (it will be 17 weeks until my half).
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @moyer566 Yeah 4:30ish would be my start. The dog only does a little short of 5k currently. I would still be doing my longer runs in the afternoon. I just have trouble getting to bed early enough, that I'm not trying to run and then operate the rest of the day on like 4 hours sleep.

@Just_Ceci It may be at the gym, but you're still running! Nothing wrong with the gym runs, if you're ok with them :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @taeliesyn I generally go to bed between 9 and 10. and then take a half hour nap after before getting back up

@Just_Ceci ugh shoulder pt. I sprained my shoulder in a fall in aerial hammock. took forever and still acts up during especially hard workouts
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn The ultra plan maxes out at 85km in a week. There are six other weeks over 75km so with some cycling in to stress the CV system without overtaxing the knees, I think it should be ok. You're heading towards the middle of summer, aghh those warmer long days, hope you find a solution to the puppy runs, a.m. might be the way

@Just_Ceci agree with tae, if you can stick the dreadmill or your hamster mill then it all counts. I tried the dreadmill on holiday, it didn't last long. Take those opportunities to get out in the sun.

@moyer566 seriously impressed you get out to do 7 mile runs midweek. I have tended to max out at 60mins including 5mins each warmup/ cool down. Longer runs have always been done at weekends. Last winter, cold wet runs were not a problem, but that was the motivation of my first HM in March. I am too task orientated to get things done without a goal. Hence the duathlons.

This morning tried talking myself of going out again, but forced myself out of the door and had another 4.5 mile easy paced run. I enjoy the feeling when I get home but really struggle with the love before I get out there. Must try harder to redevelop the habit.

Hope your training goes well