December Workout Check-IN: The Kettlebells Rock Edition!

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    BP- 1X5X 45/55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    BR- 5X5X 90

Personal record for BP of 80 and BR of 90 pounds.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Squat 125# 3x3
    DL 145# 3x5
    Split squat 20DBs 3x10
    Russian hamstring curls 3x5
    Hip thrusts 145# 3x5 + 30 second isoholds
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5X5

Personal record for BP of 80 and BR of 90 pounds.

Well done!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow - some really good results coming through!! Well done ladies - you rock!!

So, I went to the gym before work this morning, but could definitely still feel Monday evening's mega workout in my legs! Still, I did what I set out to do, and didn't need to deload as such, just didn't increase weights today. Having showered and walked into the office though, my whole body feels like jelly!

SQ: 5x5 @ 55kgs
    Row: 5x5@37.5kgs - this felt better than it has done before
    BP 5x5@37.5kgs - this felt tougher than it has done before!
    DL 3x8@50kgs - concentrated on grip and quite happy with it.
    Lunges 3 x 8 - first set with 2x12kg dumbells, sets 2 and 3 with the 25kg barbell
    wide lat pull down 3x8 1st set and a half @ 40kgs, second half set plus third set at 33kgs.
    shoulder press 3x8 with 2x12kg dumbells
    swiss ball crunches 3x15 with 12kg kettlebell

And I'm done. Stage one of NRoL4W that I have been running alongside SL has been completed, and I am ready to start stage 2, although I don't think I will get stage 2 workouts PLUS SL 5x5 workouts done in my pre-work sessions like I do now. So a little modification to my gym timetable required but nothing that can't be overcome or that will lead to not enough rest.

Happy lifting ladies.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    PHUL Lower Power Workout - Last Night's Workout

Barbell Squat - 75# 1x5, 95# 1x5, 105#3x5
    Barbell Deadlift - 115# 1x5, 135# 1x5, 145# 3x3
    Leg Press - 90# 1x10, 100# 4x10
    Leg Curl - 100# 4x12

Deadlift was my personal best so far. Felt pretty strong and no twinges in my back at all...even the day after!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    PHUL Upper Power went down this AM. I kinda loved it ^^

Bench Press
    125x4/4/3 and then a submax set at 110 for 7 reps. Didn't want to grind any reps on that set, left it there

DB incline bench
    30x10, 35x10, 40x5... I'm not sure what went on, maybe I didn't rest enough between the last 2 sets? Going from 10 reps to 5 (and i tried a 6th, wouldn't happen on the left side at all) for a 5lbs jump was a bit weird. I'll do 37.5ers next time haha

Barbell row 105x5/5 (but with lots of momentum), 95x5 and submax set 75x10
    I'm so used to pendlays that these felt weird. Requires a lot more hamstring stability. I was just shooting up on my toes to swing the weight up at 105 so I dropped back down a bit.

close grip lat pulldown 85x10, 100x9, 100x9, 105x7

ohp 65x8, 67.5x7, 70x6
    since this was both fatigued and a rep PR at 70lbs, I'm quite happy with it

Snuck in the Hero Manmakers (x38) at this point. 10/9/8/6/5. Time: 8:09 :)

Finished off with ez bar curls and skullcrushers as supersets. 35x10, 40x10, 40x10 and 45x8 curls and 10 crushers.

I have oblique DOMS from yesterday's yoga O_o

looking forward to doing Lower power tomorrow! It was a nice change of pace to leave my legs (mostly) alone today haha
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Woot for PHUL :smiley:

Feeling a fair amount better, no medicine or anything, so went to the gym after work to get back on schedule with training. In about a week, I'll have to switch when I go because we'll be closing at midnight instead of 10 pm, so I'm probably going to hit the gym before work instead of after. While I prefer late night with less people, after 12:30 am is a bit late to drive over plus not getting done till after 1:30 then have to travel the distance home. Better to go earlier since I won't have to be in to work until 4 pm.

37 - lower hypertrophy

front squat 3x10 @ 85 and 1x8 @ 105 - did a little better than last time but barely got all 8 on the 105, that's near my limit in that rep range for even cross arm stance
    barbell curtsy lunge 4x8 @ 70 - tried a different one just for fun, not bad though a bit off balance with the weaker leg (left)
    good morning 4x12 @ 70 - paused on the last 4-5 reps, not bad
    leg extension 4x8 @ 80- decent
    leg curl 4x10@ 70 - still challenging, but getting better and feel it more in hamstring now
    seated calf 4x10 @ 110 - getting more challenging at this point

Didn't increase on much of anything except the calf and that was a small amount, but it was a good workout overall.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    been slacking with my posts, so here's yesterday's....

Squat - 75kg, 5x5
    OHP - 27.5kg, 3/3/3/2/3
    DL - 80kg, 1x2

could be better... dropped the bar right on my face doing ohp. >.< very hard to look cool after that. 3rd time failing on DL, so time to deload.

today...

brief cardio sesh before I race home for driving lessons.
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am pretty new to lifting regularly but wanted to share with you all what I am doing. On MWF this week I did about 30 minute cardio (to aid fat loss) along with kettbell swings and kettbell squats. On T, TH this week I followed SL 5x5 program of squats, bench press and overhead press. I added a long row pull in place of the barbell row this time and I skipped the deadlift. I feel uncomfortable lifting too much at my gym especially the deadlift because the trainers there don't seem to know or encourage doing the American style deadlift where you pick it up from the floor. Going to keep going with the 5x5 program though I am not following it totally strictly. I live in a foreign country so sometimes it is hard to challenge authority and ways of thinking as a cultural minority. I'll will keep trying my best!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Welcome aboard @thom2369!!
  • Ariadnula
    Options
    Good night tonight. I think I finally cracked the deadlift! I did lots of googling on 'why is my back sore after deadlifts?' - because it was, after Saturday. And the reason every single site gave? 'You're rounding your back.' And you know? I was! At least I think so. And when I focused on not rounding or ... whatever the opposite is ... it felt a million times better. I felt stronger, And I didn't feel afraid of going 'ping!' and being unable to move for the rest of my life.

So! I didn't push it, did a zillion warm ups and went no higher than 60kg, but feel ready to build from there. Woo!

Squats: 5x5 @ 71kg
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 60kg
    OHP: 5x5 @ 22kg

Pull ups: 1x5 and 1x3 with no assistance

All good.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I will be doing my 5x5 workout tonight, workout A. I am interested in throwing in one or two extra credit lifts while I'm there. What I want to work on specifically is increasing my vertical leap. Which, I'm 40 and trying to increase my vertical, which is kind of weird probably, but I play volleyball and would like to jump higher. :) Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking more for lifts I can do at the gym, rather than plyo exercises, at least right now.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    @Ariadnula what can I say but join you in the woohoo!! Sorting that back issue out is amazing and you must be so excited about future lifting!!

@BethAnnieT I'm afraid I am no help re jumping... Since my knee surgery, jumping is a no no so I avoid it as much as possible.... Limited only to life or death jumping haha!!

I've just got back from a mega session. Did increase weight and managed to squat 5x5 @57.5kgs and Deadlift 1x5 @70kgs so happy there! Also did my first workout of NRol4w stage 2 so lots of new moves being mastered there!!

I will hurt tomorrow. I hope!!!

• Ariadnula
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »

I've just got back from a mega session. Did increase weight and managed to squat 5x5 @57.5kgs and Deadlift 1x5 @70kgs so happy there! Also did my first workout of NRol4w stage 2 so lots of new moves being mastered there!!

Wow, you're doing so well!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    kimiuzzell wrote: »

Wow, you're doing so well!

Thank you. I'm really enjoying the whole process and don't ever think I have been this consistent in exercising apart from when I have been training for marathons which is different because there is a specific target date and distance whereas this is ongoing.

I've really benefitted from these boards though....the support on here is amazing and all the tips and comments really do help newbies like me!!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I will be doing my 5x5 workout tonight, workout A. I am interested in throwing in one or two extra credit lifts while I'm there. What I want to work on specifically is increasing my vertical leap. Which, I'm 40 and trying to increase my vertical, which is kind of weird probably, but I play volleyball and would like to jump higher. :) Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking more for lifts I can do at the gym, rather than plyo exercises, at least right now.

My first thought here is to suggest lunges. Maybe start out static first to get in the groove, and then drop (back) lunges when you get good at them. Bodyweight only at first, then add dumbbells. Single leg exercises are great for building/evening out the leg strength as well as add a layer of stability. Since you're basically never in a "perfect" situation while playing a sport that requires jumping, single leg stability is really important.

You can decide to work up to bulgarian split squats down the line, or keep adding weight. And once you're ready to go with some plyometrics, jump lunges are amazing to pump the heart, give a good leg burn and learn to land soft and stable.

Step-ups might also be a viable option, and they also can have some carryover towards working on the pistol squats depending on how you do them.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yesterday did upper hypertrophy.

Lat pull downs
    Dumbbell eccentric slow bench.
    Push-up on kettle bells followed by single arm rows in plank position
    Inverted feet elevated rows
    OHP
    Triceps
    Two sets of sprints on both the treadmill and erg.

A minor amount of abs. I wish there had been Turkish get-ups in there. Next time.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55, 2X5X 60, 3X5X55
    DL- 1X5X 150

The OHP is not pretty! Still trying to get 5 sets of 60. Only got 2. My form was awful! 55 lbs is nice but I've got to challenge myself.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    The OHP will get there @fanncy0626 - you are making improvements all the time....don't forget that!

I've got three days of no lifting now due to a manic schedule. I will, however, drop in some bodyweight squats or elevated lunges with dumbells at home/office when I get a few mins spare during the course of the day, just so my muscles don't forget what they are there to do! Back to the gym on Monday.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

My first thought here is to suggest lunges. Maybe start out static first to get in the groove, and then drop (back) lunges when you get good at them. Bodyweight only at first, then add dumbbells. Single leg exercises are great for building/evening out the leg strength as well as add a layer of stability. Since you're basically never in a "perfect" situation while playing a sport that requires jumping, single leg stability is really important.

You can decide to work up to bulgarian split squats down the line, or keep adding weight. And once you're ready to go with some plyometrics, jump lunges are amazing to pump the heart, give a good leg burn and learn to land soft and stable.

Step-ups might also be a viable option, and they also can have some carryover towards working on the pistol squats depending on how you do them.

Thank you!! I had to look up a couple of these, but I'm interested to try them all eventually. Do you think I could work in lunges (to start) on Workout A days, after I've done my squats?

Thanks so much for your help!