Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I have run every day this year! :wink:

My half plan called for a 6 mile run yesterday, so I looked online for runs local to where I am staying the week in Texas. I came across a running group that had a 1 mi, 5k, or 10k option. I paid my $2 and ran a 10k. It was a good run, very small group and more hills than I wanted (almost 500 feet of elevation change). I finished a long 10k (6.3 miles) in 1:03:40, 3rd in my age group (out of 3). :smiley:

Today, I ran a very hard 5k near my brother's house. It was hard, despite being fairly flat. The road was pretty rough and I didn't eat anything (or drink coffee) before heading out. 32:21

I celebrated my grand daughter's 2nd birthday today and will head back home on Monday.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

HM plans - any suggestions? I'm always up for ideas.

I always preferred Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 running plan but it means buying the book and believing in the training philosophy attached to it. Basically a lot of easy running with some specific hard sessions. But in reality any of the charity plans will get you there, the key is doing the plan. My real advice to you would be to have some intermediate plans/ races to achieve over the first 3 and 6 months otherwise the temptation will be to drop sessions or stop for a while. 9 months is a long time to train for a single event without having something else to aim for. Perhaps more importantly enjoy it, completing your first HM with a smile on your face is very rewarding and emotional. Have fun.

Ceci nice running
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Ran my 13.1 miles sunday
    I'm going to try to pick up another 3 on mondays starting next week. and do strength weds and fridays. though when we have the SD I'll have to shift things around. she is a sprinter and seemingly injury prone so a 5k is about her limit. I'm hoping since she joined track next year that she'll learn how to run better
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Another 5k for me today, horrible weather but got it done. Back to work tomorrow (extra day holiday in Scotland) won't have so much time to fit everything in. Have signed up to a challenge where I have been paired with a workout buddy, I'm pretty competitive so I won't want to let her down. Have 10k races planned for 20th March and 15th May, my new running shoes seem to be working well for me so hoping that will lead to injury free training. Started Strong Curves advanced workout as a change to Stronglifts, less lifting but more work!
  • mbaker566
    edited January 2016
    Options
    no run today. yesterday i had some foot pain-sharp, and some other pains for reasons, and just fricken exhausted. I'm hoping to get 3 in tomorrow if foot just was randomly in pain-which is natural for me (myalgia)

i wish i could have run this morning
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I should have run 5 miles yesterday, but I took a nap instead (after having driven for 8 hours).
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I should have run 5 miles yesterday, but I took a nap instead (after having driven for 8 hours).

must be something in air :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    did 3.23mi this morning. fartlek-like with all the ice. it was a lot of fun.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Since it was almost dark when I left work yesterday, I went to the gym to run my 5 miles. 70 laps - 51:20.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    6.46 mi
    it wasn't super fast but I felt good. I like the pace play.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I should have run 5 miles yesterday, but I wasn't feeling it, so I did 5 1/2 miles on the elliptical and ran 1 mile in 9:36. Spin class tonight!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Spin class was great! It was my first time to use my new (to me) trainer that I got at Goodwill for $25! Today should be perfect for a good long run.

I had my followup with the ortho doctor yesterday. Surgery is scheduled for February 8 with a minimum of 6 and most likely 8 - 10 weeks of no running. He said I could use the recumbent bike at the gym and walk, but nothing that will put any pressure on the shoulder or jar it in any way.

My plan is to continue with the half plan I'm doing now up until the surgery, which will put me finishing week 9, with a long run of 9 miles.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Bugger about the surgery Ceci, hope it does the trick!@ Continuing the plan is a good idea and then just wind back a few weeks after you've got the OK to run again and keep pushing forward!

Welcome @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Glad to see you here now :)

Hope all is going well for everyone. I'm trying to at least read even if I'm not commenting.

I did a 1:49 HM on Tuesday, before my social run after that though I've been suffering a sore back. I wasn't sure if it back or kidney's at first, but I think it's mostly muscular. It is on the mend though, but it may force me to have a sub 50k week LOL
    Only 2 weeks until my 100K now... oh crap that's close!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran 7 miles today- 1:14:19, stopped a couple of times to cross roads and once for a phone call from the doctor's office. It was a good run.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn, thanks!

@Just_Ceci - awesome runs - you're inspiring me!

I finally made it through w13d2 - it was my 3rd attempt. Even in the cold drizzly rain and fog, it felt great and boosted my ego back up after the last two crappy runs. There IS hope (always!).
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I managed a couple of 5k's at the beginning of the week before missing a run due to a sore knee. We've since been surrounded by floods and black ice so been out for a couple of walks but no running (walking was difficult enough).
    Hope your surgery goes well Ceci and doesn't put your training back too much.
    Taeliesyn, I find running 10k difficult enough, I can't imagine running 100!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I managed 4.75 this weekend. inside on a treadmill
    It's -7 this morning and icy even on the roads, there was a slick coating. so no 3mi for me. I'm hoping to get some runs in this week outside.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Saturday I ran a couple of miles (20:17) in the gym to finish week 5 of the plan. Winter is finally here. :neutral:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    no run this morning. I can't believe the ice. hoping to get an hour in this afternoon
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I could have probably managed a run outside yesterday, but I wimped out and ran in the gym- 70 laps, 5 miles in 51:57. It sucked.