Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you back and getting your runs in Robbie. The darks nights/mornings are definitely a problem for me. A circuit of my town is only 4km and it is on a very steep hill so running round it more than once is a killer. I don't feel safe running on the country roads even with hi-viz and lights because the roads are narrow and twisty with high banks/hedges, it is dangerous enough running on them in daylight!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    Nice to see you back and getting your runs in Robbie. The darks nights/mornings are definitely a problem for me. A circuit of my town is only 4km and it is on a very steep hill so running round it more than once is a killer. I don't feel safe running on the country roads even with hi-viz and lights because the roads are narrow and twisty with high banks/hedges, it is dangerous enough running on them in daylight!

I totally understand and agree. I now run with Nathan Strobes on no excuse not to be seen, But at least I have the luxury of running on reasonably lit roads. My big bugbear is my preferred running haunt, Wollaton Park, has restricted daylight opening. Beautiful to run round but closed for those of us at work and with commitments at weekends.

I would suggest using the hill as strength training but not sure whether your knees would take the pounding. Walk up and run the rest perhaps, trying the Galloway approach might work for you.

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Tell me about short days... The length of day today was a royal 5 h 59 min. And it keeps getting darker still until Winter solstice. Snow does have its perks in that it isn't nearly as dark then.

Thanks for chiming in with more goals, Laura and Robbie. Even though all of us are at different stages, it helps to know how others are approaching things methodically, if that makes sense.

Yikes, romy, it sounds wise not to run on the dark roads!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're both on the recovery road, Tim & Laura, hope you're back running again soon!

AlgaeaC I think you should be able to work in the CC & Yoga quite easily with the Higdon plan, you can use CC for some of your cross training, even yoga on the same day as CC shouldn't be too much of an issue (Dependant on the type of yoga). Very glad to see you headed out for a run!

bt, come in and chat about your runs anyway! A run is a run is a run. Doesn't matter if you're doing 1mile or a 100miler :)

Sal, definitely pay more attention to the stretches etc, I'm falling towards the trap of not doing enough myself. Your post has been a bit of a reminder for me, thanks!

Romy, thanks for the link! Pity your group run got cancelled. Is there anywhere (Strava/Garmin/etc) we (Well I) could see the elevation profile of your local route. More curious than anything. Hills can suck, but if you can persist with them the rewards rock. The classic mantra from C25K where most of us started comes to mind when running hills. Slow down, and then slow some more. Although geared toward Ultras, this page has some good tips about hill running. http://www.mile27.com.au/secrets-improving-hill-running/
    And as Robbie suggested, you can always walk up the hill(s) and run the rest.

Ceci, I hope you find someone to teach you to swim laps, it's another great way to cross train. Then you can dust your bike off and go do some tri's ;)

Robbie, sounds like everything is going pretty well for you, the bail out points are a good idea if you're concerned about pushing too far.

For all those that struggle a bit during the Northern Hemisphere winter (and it's horrible conditions) check out Jantastic. I think a few of you are already signed up. Romy posted about it earlier

I'm loving how active this thread has become again :smiley:

No run for me yet, that's coming tonight when I go out for my hill session again. I both love and hate it LOL
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think some more dedication to stretching through yoga and foam rolling should clear it up. It seems to come out around the 30 minute mark, so some strengthening needs to happen too. When I started c25k I was also doing you are your own gym, but I found the squats hard to do with running. I might be better of in the future too start that again at some point.

PS I was fitted with shoes that helped eliminate ongoing issues with shin splints.

Here is a link to Runner's World recovery yoga:

http://m.runnersworld.com/recovery-yoga-for-runners

That link is for the mobile site, if you are on a computer just Google it. I can't recommend it enough. I used to get all kinds of aches and pains and got injured a lot, but when I do this routine regularly I don't have any problems.

My JogScotland got cancelled yesterday because of the weather, sleet, hail, frost and a bit of snow. So I have only been running once in past 2 weeks, got a busy weekend so don't know if I will get out for a run. Roll on January so I can get back to normal.
    Thanks I saved that as a favorite. I also bought a DVD called Yoga For Beginners : The Essential Beginner Yoga Guide For Runners, Walkers & Desk Jockeys. That should help. I need something simple that I can do consistently.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Hill work and trail fartlek after it... The hill work hurt in a good way as hill work can, I think I'll repeat this same session next week though. It felt a little harder than I would have liked, and I think I have to go my longer hill for the next step in my program, unfortunately the longer hill is also steeper. EEeeeeeppppp!
    The trail fartlek was great, a bit more walking than I would have liked, but I rocked out on a gentle downhill section or two where I had my pace around my 5k pace and it didn't feel fast or hard and I wasn't trying to go fast either just going with the flow so to speak.
    Hammy's and glutes are now letting me know they got worked. 8.9km left and I've nailed my target of 70km for the week. WHOOO!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    4 mile run yesterday, flat Greenway route, one that I hadn't run before, although I have ridden that route many times. Finished in 39:43. It was a good run. Gym today, probably will ride the stationary bike. Tomorrow I get to run 5 miles before I make the Christmas party rounds, 3 parties to attend!

Have a great weekend everybody!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    taeliesyn, nice going, I totally understand the mixed emotions of hill work or any hard session. The long term benefits of doing them versus the short term discomfort. It looks like a good session on the hills for you though. I see more pbs shortly.

Ceci, great work on the run, you are running faster than me and my competitive side says I can do more and keep up. My cautious, sensible side keeps saying that I am going at the paces right for me. The cautious, sensible side is winning at the moment but my competitive side keeps whispering in my ear. You are doing really well in spite of your weather. Keep being that rabbit in front of me, I feel that I am drafting behind you. :D

Got 11 miles done tonight, another easy pace run, just trying to build the mileage up. Cannot get 5 days of running in this week so combined 2 midweek. No doubt will feel sore tomorrow. Packed some protein in after the run tonight to start the recovery process early. Beer was good too. Oops. :o

Enjoy your weekend, I am with family tomorrow and rugby reffing Sunday, so any run will be a bonus.

As always be safe and have fun.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    A warmup, parkrun and cooldown run, got me through to my target miles for the week. parkrun was a social affair, just cruising easily and chatting with a friend. I may have caused her to run a little faster than she intended though. Made my target miles, good run and good week.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Nice runs everyone! I enjoy reading your stories a lot.

Today's run: 5+18+9min. Side stitch for 15 of the 18 min running, even though I had lunch a few hours before heading out. Dropped the upper mid-layer and it was the perfect temperature until I was some minutes into walking. Now arms are chilled completely. Shorter cool-down walk next time :) The final 50 metres or so I found a better form but I need to lose weight and develop better leg muscles to be able to run like that all the way. Also I'm back at leaning a bit on the right side, can feel it in my ankle. No music due to darkness so there's plenty of time to notice what I'm doing instead, might get used to it!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    A warmup, parkrun and cooldown run, got me through to my target miles for the week. parkrun was a social affair, just cruising easily and chatting with a friend. I may have caused her to run a little faster than she intended though. Made my target miles, good run and good week.

Meany :D fancy talking to someone and getting them to go faster than they want, bad boy. Seriously glad you enjoyed your social. Keep having fun, it's important

AglaeaC nice going, we can all provide each other with a bit of motivation. Stopping the cold without overheating, always a challenge, I have not succeeded yet. Keep at it, it will come.

No run for me, 300 mile trip to London. Back on the pavements tomorrow.

• ftrobbie
    Options
    Got out early this morning, pavements (sidewalks) covered in black ice. It was supposed to be an easy pace session, but with the cold and slipping about early on, I found it easier to go slightly faster. A comfortable session between marathon and easy pace. It was only 4 miles but felt good to shake out the legs from Friday night. This weeks target distance completed, on track for 160kms for the month.

Hope you are all doing well
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Shudder. Black ice is nasty, stay safe ftrobbie!

I changed my plan to cover the Hal Higdon 5K novice first, seems like I have to work up some Grrrr again and what better way than sticking to a plan, which on top of being scheduled also has been approved by someone who knows their stuff. At times it's easier for me if I get to lean on advice etc. that someone else has planned and now it's worked wonders in that I'm actually enthusiastic about running again. It's only eight weeks of my life after all, so I'm heading out tomorrow for W1D1.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @AlgaeaC - Form will come with focus and practice. I know my form is directly linked to my speed and I should focus on better form when going slower, but as you mentioned to some extent better form takes more energy/strength. Good luck on figuring out the layers etc. I know some people who have used cycling arm guards instead of long sleeve shirts for layering, they find it easier to adjust coverage with them.
    Well done for persisting through the stitch. I still deal with them some times, generally when my legs are feeling a bit dead and I'm pounding the pavement more than usual.

Robbie, sounds like it was still an easy pace run in the scheme of things, remember easy for 5k will be different than easy for 20k. Good work on hitting your target and heading towards a 100mile month :) I did my first 100mile month in August this year.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    LSR cut short at just over 13k today. I was trying for my second 70+km week in a row, but after the first, and a few hours horseriding on Sunday, the legs were just too fatigued. They felt like lead from the start of the run, right calf tightened up about 3k in, but loosened again around 8k. Legs never really lightened up though and as I hit the corner near home at 13k I decided to pull the pin on the run. I'm not training specifically for anything, so no point pushing myself.
    I've also picked up my body weight exercises again last week, so honestly I would have been surprised if I had managed to get through my run. Weekly target reassessed to 50-60km and I'll try for 70k again the following week. I'm hoping to hit and hold that 70k/week for a good month or two, before trying to stretch it out further again.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    12/12- 13.36 mi Stationary Bike at the gym
    12/13- 5.72 mi Run/walk at my National Park
    12/14- 3.99 mi Run/ walking the dog in my neighborhood

I ended up going to 4 parties on Saturday after a great 5 mile run (52:02). After all the merriment and movie theater popcorn on Sunday (finally got to see MockingJay, Part 1!), I struggled during my 5k run on Sunday afternoon. It was HARD, but I did it. It was even harder knowing that a bunch of my friends were riding at the same time because the weather was perfect! I haven't been on my bicycle in almost 3 weeks! :neutral_face:

Today is supposed to be a rest day, but I know I won't be able to run tomorrow, so I'll probably try to get my scheduled 4 mile run done today.

Robbie- I'll be your rabbit for pace if you'll be mine for distance!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Winter reared her ugly head yesterday with cold wind and rain, so I ran my 4 miles on the track at the gym in 40:24. For a few laps I had a conversation with an older guy (maybe 70?) who I see running there a lot. Made the time go by faster. He runs for 30 minutes and slows down or speeds up based on his heart rate.

The weather promises to be horrible the rest of the week. :disappointed:
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Glad to hear that not everyone is rabid about sticking to a fixed idea just because, taeliesyn. Your kilometre amount is still admirable.

Ceci, four parties (!) are bound to take their toll somehow. At least you have the track you can train on, here isn't anything nearby when the weather is foul. Hope you'll get a nice run in later in the week anyway.
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    @AlgaeaC - Form will come with focus and practice. I know my form is directly linked to my speed and I should focus on better form when going slower, but as you mentioned to some extent better form takes more energy/strength. Good luck on figuring out the layers etc. I know some people who have used cycling arm guards instead of long sleeve shirts for layering, they find it easier to adjust coverage with them.

I had slightly too little on the legs today. The run became a walk mostly, but that's another story (side stitch troubleshooting has already happened), and I think those arm guards could be worth looking into, since my torso never gets as cold. Thanks for the tip!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone who has got out running. I still haven't been out and an feeling really lazy. It is so cold that even with 2 layers on I don't sweat and last time I was weight lifting in my garage I was almost in tears because the bar was so cold it was burning my hands. And of course I was too lazy to walk 10 metres to the house to get some gloves!

Thanks for advice Robbie, though it is running downhill that hurts my knees, I actually like running uphill and my fastest splits are often when I am going uphill, not the really steep ones though!

Taeliesyn, I sent you a friend request on Garmin, though you would have to go back really far to find the last time I ran up one of the steep streets, I usually either zigzag through the less steep streets or walk to the bottom and run on the flat.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a jantastic group needing another set of legs?