Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Ceci, I'll be your distance rabbit, although it will not be hard for you to catch me at the moment. Well done on getting around the track, your dedication to continue in spite of your weather is truly inspiring.

upsaluki, I had to pick an event 10k and the HM to keep me interested, I don't enjoy running enough to want to do it in the poor weather for the sake of doing it. The 2 runs, 1 done, are enough to keep me getting up and out when my warm bed whispers sweet nothings. Your 10k is a couple of days after my HM. I am sure that you will get to do and enjoy your 10k.

taeliesyn, well done on the PB. Fell bad that you have succumbed to a winter lurgy. You seemed to be going so well. Hope you can get out to nail the last 100km in the remaining 11 days of this year.

Got out for a gentle 4 miler yesterday, 1st time since Monday. Had a viral infection which had caused aches and pains form the waist upwards. Felt tired at the end of the run yesterday, taking a days rest today, will see how I feel tomorrow, before deciding on where to resume in the programme. Hopefully you guys are in a better place. Have fun over the weekend.

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    knocked out a four miler today. that feels like a sweet spot in terms of distance right now
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    knocked out a four miler today. that feels like a sweet spot in terms of distance right now

It is a nice distance, and remember your C25k, the 3 miles circa 5k seemed such a long way, well mine did!! Glad you are back out and enjoying yourself
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I finally got out for a run!! 5km through the woods, it was wet and muddy and very icy in places but it was nice to get out. It is my daughter's ballroom dancing Christmas party tonight, they like to get all the non-dancers to participate too, so I might hit my 10,000 steps for the first time in weeks.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    I finally got out for a run!! 5km through the woods, it was wet and muddy and very icy in places but it was nice to get out. It is my daughter's ballroom dancing Christmas party tonight, they like to get all the non-dancers to participate too, so I might hit my 10,000 steps for the first time in weeks.

Fantastic news on both counts. Enjoy it, says he firmly stuck to a couch. Have fun

• ftrobbie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Got a HM training piece done today, faster than intended pace but had plenty of bail points, ran alongside a bus route for long periods so could bus home if I felt too tired post the viral infection. Got round in circa 2hr15, under according to endomondo, over according to strava, previous effort 2hr35. First 10 miles were good but the last 2 miles were a challenge. The challenge for me now is whether getting below 2hrs for HM is realistic or achievable in the next 12 weeks. Now got to 120km for the month, not sure whether I can still get to 160kms, which was the plan at the start of the month

Have fun, hope you are all safe and well.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Got a HM training piece done today, faster than intended pace but had plenty of bail points, ran alongside a bus route for long periods so could bus home if I felt too tired post the viral infection. Got round in circa 2hr15, under according to endomondo, over according to strava, previous effort 2hr35. First 10 miles were good but the last 2 miles were a challenge. The challenge for me now is whether getting below 2hrs for HM is realistic or achievable in the next 12 weeks. Now got to 120km for the month, not sure whether I can still get to 160kms, which was the plan at the start of the month

Awesome run Robbie. Nice accomplishment.

In other news, I knocked out a four miler today.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Ah, I <3 reading these updates, although all the sickness needs to go away!

I had a great 5 mile run on Saturday at my National Park. Finished in 51:08 according to RunDouble, so 10:13 pace.

Today's run was 5k around my neighborhood, finished in 30:24, so 9:46 pace.

That marks the end of week 4 of the 20 week plan. Time is flying! I am so excited that today marks the Winter Solstice and the days will start to get longer now!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

Awesome run Robbie. Nice accomplishment.

In other news, I knocked out a four miler today.

Great job!!!!

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Ask Ceci how many parties she has/will attend(ed)... :) Busy woman.

Ah, 40degC! Ugh that is hot. Australia? New Zealand? Enjoy the runs! And do drink coffee, no point in having a headache if you can prevent it. And fight the flu, no more sickies needed here.

To hear about my awesome parties, etc., send me a friend request. If you are not my friend already, why not?
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

I had a great 5 mile run on Saturday at my National Park. Finished in 51:08 according to RunDouble, so 10:13 pace.

That marks the end of week 4 of the 20 week plan. Time is flying! I am so excited that today marks the Winter Solstice and the days will start to get longer now!
    I'm looking forward to more daylight too. Even if we just get a few extra minutes at a time. Twenty weeks is quite the commitment. Mine is only 12. Which plan are you following?
  • romyhorse
    Options
    My Jantastic commitment for the first month is to run 4 times a week. I've only run twice in the past 3 weeks so maybe I am being optimistic! I'm away to get on my running gear and get in a quick run before I have to pick my daughter up from her friend's (and have a glass or 2 of mulled wine and some Christmas cake with friend's mum!)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

I'm looking forward to more daylight too. Even if we just get a few extra minutes at a time. Twenty weeks is quite the commitment. Mine is only 12. Which plan are you following?

I decided to go with a 20 week plan basically because there were 20 weeks after my last official 10k run until my 1/2. I'm using this half plan.

I had only been running 2 or 3 times a week before, so jumping to 4 times a week has been a challenge, especially since I'm not getting any bicycle time in! In 2 more weeks, I will be running 5 days a week.
    vaxzacmr4bes.gif

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Just did a short run, inspired by the updates here.

Tweaking stuff still, had a side stitch which I ran through, and more ponderings, but nothing takes away from the fact that it was my first run in the snow. Love the sound of squeaking whiteness under the running shoes. Now I'm drinking tea to heat up the chest region again to avoid getting the beginnings of a cold.
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Ask Ceci how many parties she has/will attend(ed)... :) Busy woman.

Ah, 40degC! Ugh that is hot. Australia? New Zealand? Enjoy the runs! And do drink coffee, no point in having a headache if you can prevent it. And fight the flu, no more sickies needed here.

To hear about my awesome parties, etc., send me a friend request. If you are not my friend already, why not?

LOL :wink: Friends are good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So after my HM training was rudely interrupted by a nasty cold I've rescheduled onto a 10Km performance improvement plan until February, then I'll move onto a Marathon plan with the intent to make a decision about progress in late April. The event I'm aiming for has a half, marathon and 50Km Ultra on the same day so I may go for either the half or the marathon.

Three days into the 10Km plan and I'm suffering from a lack of training; 8 weeks with ITB Syndrome and then 3 weeks with the cold. The 10Km plan is intended to get my weekly mileage up to a reasonable start point for the marathon plan.

Nine Ks yesterday and four Ks tonight have been hard work already. I'm sure it'll come back, particularly as I've decided to add some turbo sessions to the mix to mitigate the risk of a recurrence of the ITB. Nice hard 30Km VO2Max session on Saturday evening.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I don't mind running in the rain. I don't mind running in the cold. I really don't like being cold and wet, so I ran at the gym today. 5 miles, yes 70 laps, in 50:35. I got some strange looks from people, but had nice conversations with a few people too. (Did I mention that my gym is specifically for people over 50 and I'm one of the youngest members?)
  • upsaluki
    Options

I decided to go with a 20 week plan basically because there were 20 weeks after my last official 10k run until my 1/2. I'm using this half plan.

I had only been running 2 or 3 times a week before, so jumping to 4 times a week has been a challenge, especially since I'm not getting any bicycle time in! In 2 more weeks, I will be running 5 days a week.
    vaxzacmr4bes.gif

That's a cool site. I might use one of their plans if I make the leap to HM. Thanks!

• romyhorse
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Two short runs in 2 days, it is amazing what a Fitbit Challenge can motivate you to do! Not that I am competitive or anything, I just don't like losing ;)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    MM, of course it will come back. I hope you stay ITB free in the future, sounds like nasty business.

Ceci, sounds like a cool place. 70 laps is beyond words to me, though!

upsaluki, when was it that you graduated C25K again? I've been away from running for a while, even though I did that in June, so in that sense I'm behind you right now, but if you feel like talking running from more of a newbie perspective, you have at least one person in the group to do that with yours truly.

romyhorse, it's funny how we can get these ideas and then keep going because of a streak of some kind. I'm not overly competitive, but the "don't like losing" part is very familiar. Do you run with your firefighter husband or by yourself mostly?

An update of my own is that towards the end of my walk of normal speed I got the same side stitch. I'm wondering whether I don't breathe deep enough, in other words don't oxygenate the blood sufficiently, because I catch myself with fairly shallow breaths from time to time.

How do you breathe when running? I mean where does the breath end (yes it sounds ridiculous, but a deep breath ends in the lower belly so to speak).
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    Two short runs in 2 days, it is amazing what a Fitbit Challenge can motivate you to do! Not that I am competitive or anything, I just don't like losing ;)

We do whatever it takes to get us moving, right?!