Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Three miles on Monday and four today. My left foot has been bothering me so I took a few days off mid-week and definitely felt it this am. I felt like I was looking for reasons to quit the entire run, but kept going. Have to conquer this psychological stuff! We're going to do our first long training run on Sunday- 7 miles- weather should be nice so I'm looking forward to running outside!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @brant710 i would be thrilled at sub 11min mile.
    I'm signing up for my half today
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

Woohoo

• looseboy
    looseboy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Newbie alert...
    New to running and not big on posting in forums. However I have had a stab at running this year and so far so good, so why not embrace a forum or two as well?!
    Just finished my 7th week of a C210k plan. Looking forward to week 8.
    Have a 10k run booked for mid April which i am determind to complete, after that I am sure there will be many more challenges to add to the list in my bid to lose more of my excess pounds and get healthier.
    I also think that park runs are a fantastic thing and have really helped with motivation as the whole family go along and I am glad to be participating with the kids rather than standing on the side lines yelling
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @looseboy
    Welcome, this tends to be an esoteric forum, most of us have graduated from C25k and are doing other things, other than 10k. Others will no doubt introduce themselves later. Good luck with the 10k in 6 weeks, you will be fine if you continue with the plan. Personally I am doing parkruns as a bit of speedwork but my training plan is geared to a 69 mile ultra. Mixed in with a bit of bike riding (commute and leisure) and rugby coaching.

Friday, rode to and from a coach the coaches session at the rugby club, a one hour easy run session yesterday and 14+ miles today, a steady pace. HR a little higher than I would have liked but pace inside the prescribed pace bands. Rest day tomorrow and then pack into increasing mileage again for the next few weeks.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    no run
    wedding prep and oscar stuffs this weekend
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @looseboy Welcome to the group and good luck on your 10k. I'm on a running hiatus while recovering from shoulder surgery. Been hitting the stationary bike and walking as much as I can including nice 4 mile walk at my national park yesterday. Three more weeks in the sling and I'll likely be able to start running again shortly after that. So ready!
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

That's awesome! I want to get to that point some day. 10k still feels like a long way to run.

I did week 6 day 1 this morning.
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ran 3.5 miles outdoors this am- felt very slow and a bit junky but kept going. I'm just switching from the dreadmill to outdoors now that its warming up. Does anyone see any issue with me running every day, or at least five days a week? I feel like my breathing is off outdoors due to the cold air, so I was thinking of adding a two mile or so run on my off days to help work on my breathing (I currently run 3-4 miles on Mon and Wed with a longer run on the weekend, so this two mile run would be on Tues and Thurs.). I have a 15k that I think I may attempt in April and then the 10 miler in May. Any advice?
    Thanks!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »

That's awesome! I want to get to that point some day. 10k still feels like a long way to run.

I did week 6 day 1 this morning.

oh no, a 10k still seems very long still for me too
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    Ran 3.5 miles outdoors this am- felt very slow and a bit junky but kept going. I'm just switching from the dreadmill to outdoors now that its warming up. Does anyone see any issue with me running every day, or at least five days a week? I feel like my breathing is off outdoors due to the cold air, so I was thinking of adding a two mile or so run on my off days to help work on my breathing (I currently run 3-4 miles on Mon and Wed with a longer run on the weekend, so this two mile run would be on Tues and Thurs.). I have a 15k that I think I may attempt in April and then the 10 miler in May. Any advice?
    Thanks!

Your body gets stronger on rest days, so if you never rest? However I run 5 days a week and long runs sit at 14-20 miles, and the remainder sit between 4 and 8 miles. Why not look up a 10 mile training plan that has you running 5 days a week and follow that? If you are wanting to exercise daily then look at cycling or something else to give your body a rest from running. Running everyday works for those whose body has got used to the stress, if you are coming back I personally would not recommend it but have done 20 days out of 21 running when HM training and that moved my HM from 2:25 to 1:54. It works but as I continued through to doing a similar programme for my full marathon I over did it and broke down, necessitating a 8 week break for my knee to recover.

So long story short you can do it, but be very careful not to over do it.

Here's some training plans

10 mile training plans

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Howdy everyone! I'm still lurking around and reading all ya'lls exploits! Just been in a pretty deep funk since the 100K. Combination of post race blues and a few other things. I'm not sure if I'm on the way up yet, but I'm pretty sure I've stopped sinking :)

Welcome brant and looseboy, follow the programs and you'll be fine! :)

Ceci, glad to hear you're keeping active and hope your recovery is going well :)
    Moyer, new month now, hopefully new motivation!
    Robbie, glad to hear things are going well for you mate!
    KRPolo, I'm going to echo Robbies advice. Don't try running every day, a A 5 day a week program should be ok for you though, but as always listen to your body and be prepared to drop back to 4 days a week.

I've had some good runs and some horrible ones since my 100K. Still I obviously didn't learn my lesson, as I'm doing another 100K this weekend, running Saturday night to Sunday morning Perth time. I'll pull the tracking link and share it later this week.
    Honestly I'm a little concerned this race may break me, as my left ankle isn't 100% but I'll see what happens.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @taeliesyn Good luck at the weekend. I though mid February I was going to get close to you, Strava distance wise. How wrong I was!! You seem to be on a roll with these long distance efforts, I still struggle mentally of going out for a four hour training run. Even 80 minutes this morning was a close call, but when I get out it's fine, it's definitely psychological.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    blah, sick. It's just a head cold, going to try running this afternoon if a blood test doesn't screw me up
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @taeliesyn Good luck at the weekend. I though mid February I was going to get close to you, Strava distance wise. How wrong I was!! You seem to be on a roll with these long distance efforts, I still struggle mentally of going out for a four hour training run. Even 80 minutes this morning was a close call, but when I get out it's fine, it's definitely psychological.

I've got a goal of every Ultra in my state, at max distance for this year. Well excluding one, because it's fecking stupid! (50K SOFT Sand) So my stupid 'race' plan for the year is as follows.

23/1 ADU 100K (12:34:01)
    5/3 Lark Hill Dusk till Dawn (100K)
    28/3 WAMC 40 Miler
    10/4 Bunbury 3 Waters 50K
    8/5 Murray Marathon (If there's a 50k option)
    5/6 Kep Ultra (Fat@ss event, due to red tape BS last year) 100K
    2/7 Feral Pig 50 Miler
    13/8 24hr Track Ultra
    24/9 WTF100 (Hoping sub 24hr)
    20/11 Truth or Consequences 50K
    18/12 6inch
    21/1/17 ADU (Hoping to do the 50K & 25K. Have to hold a 6min/km pace or better for both, with no rest between them)

WTF 100 is my target race. Contemplating setting a target for 6inch too.
    Events are so much easier than training runs to get going. I've never done a 4 hour training run mate, and suffering from lack of Solo run mojo, but I'm hoping 50-70k a week average with most of the races run as training type deals, will be enough to get me through.

Hope everything went ok with the blood test @moyer566 and you get over the head cold quickly!
  • brant710
    Options
    I did week 6 day 2 today. I don't know if anyone else has/is using the Active.com app but it seems like you ought to have to run further than 27 minutes if you are going to get to a 10k by the end. I know I'm relatively slow but 2.5 miles feels short.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i think i'll be running before yoga tonight. depending on what goes wrong. because things keep going wrong. still sick
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I did week 6 day 2 today. I don't know if anyone else has/is using the Active.com app but it seems like you ought to have to run further than 27 minutes if you are going to get to a 10k by the end. I know I'm relatively slow but 2.5 miles feels short.

A quick dip into the site and I saw this, Active 10k run walk plan and it has you doing 64 mins, so not sure where your 27mins comes from. Most plans go longer than 27mins for 5k. If you could shed some light on the plan, you may get some more specific advice. I used zen labs bridge to 10k programme and that worked well for me.

Good luck

• ftrobbie
    Options
    i think i'll be running before yoga tonight. depending on what goes wrong. because things keep going wrong. still sick

I'd rest and get back to running when not sick. I find stressing the body when sick just makes me sick for longer. Hope you feel better soon.

• brant710
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

A quick dip into the site and I saw this, Active 10k run walk plan and it has you doing 64 mins, so not sure where your 27mins comes from. Most plans go longer than 27mins for 5k. If you could shed some light on the plan, you may get some more specific advice. I used zen labs bridge to 10k programme and that worked well for me.

Good luck

So I am using the active.com 5k to 10k app. Here is the plan.

W1D1: 20 minute steady run.

W1D2: 10 minute jog, 3 minute tempo run, 10 minute jog.

W1D3: 30 minute steady run.

W2D1: 20 minute steady run.

W2D2: 10 minute jog, alternate 2 minutes of fast runs and jogs 2 times, 8 minute steady run.

W2D3: 35 minute steady run.

W3D1: 20 minute steady run.

W3D2: 10 minute jog, 5 minute tempo run, 10 minute jog.

W3D3: 40 minute steady run.

W4D1: 20 minute steady run.

W4D2: 10 minute jog, alternate 2 minutes of fast runs and jogs 3 times, 8 minute steady run.

W4D3: 45 minute steady run.

W5D1: 15 minute steady run.

W5D2: 10 minute jog, alternate 1 minute fast and 1 minute jog 4 times.

W5D3: 30 minute steady run.

W6D1: 25 minute steady run.

W6D2: 10 minute jog, 7 minute tempo run, 10 minute steady run.

W6D3: 50 minute steady run.

W7D1: 25 minute steady run.

W7D2: 10 minute jog, alternate 2 minutes fast runs and jogs 4 times, 8 minute steady run.

W7D3: 55 minute steady run.

W8D1: 25 minute steady run.

W8D2: 10 minute jog, 9 minute tempo run, 10 minute steady run.

W8D3: 60 minute steady run.

W9D1: 15 minute steady run.

W9D2: 10 minute jog, alternate 1 minute fast runs and jogs 4 times.

W9D3: 30 minute steady run.

My only concern/question about this plan is that I doubt I'll be able to run a 10k at the end. I'll have to research some plans to build from this.