Ja-new-ary(ou) in the making: Workout Check-in

Options

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Untamed Strength, day 2.

Bench: worked my way up to 100lbs x 8 reps, starting at 45lbs. I tried 105lbs but failed.
    Dips: attempted but my arms were gassed so I fell on my butt instead.

Actually quite impressed, I haven't lifted since mid November but my bench seems to not of changed. Time off got me to reset habits for better form I think.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Finished work at lunch time so went early.
    Was ment to be a rest day but don't think I'll get in on Fri for a session.
    Upper hypertrophy:
    Barbell bench 1x10 30,5x8 32.5, 2x7 33.5kg got to use the little .5 weights today
    Db flyes 4x8 9kg
    Seated row 3x10 33+
    Db row 3x8 14kg
    Incline db curl 3x8 8kg
    Triceps ext 3x8 10kg
    Incline press 4x8 10kg
    Lat pulldown 3x10 33+kg

Slowly starting to add more sets rather than increase reps.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Upper hypertrophy also!

Barbell bench - 50# I feel this in my anterior delts only and they say they are weak
    Chin ups 3x5 BW
    One arm DB rows 35# 3x10
    Side raises and front raises 3x6 10#
    Push presses 20# DBs 3x8
    Biceps 15# 3x12
    Flat bench flyes 15# 3x10
    Turkish get ups 2x3 each side 10#
    Plank rotations 2x8 each side 10#
    Commandos 2x10
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    Commandos 2x10

what's a commando? or dare i not speculate?

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »
    I've been reading around, thinking about adding things, looking at Strong Curves, new rules, PHUL, and last night looking up ice cream fitness ... But today I gave myself a bit of a talking to about just sticking to what I'm doing for a while! I've only been doing this since Sept and I haven't given it a proper chance. Focus.

I read this and my first thought was "yup".

I've been doing SL for just 12 weeks - very much a newbie in the grand scheme of things. Yet in that 12 weeks I've also done stages 1 and 2 fully of NRoL4W....and now that I am heading for stage 3, I've found myself getting anxious about how I will fit it all in. and whether I am asking too much of myself on every workout.

So....thank you for saying what you did - I am going to focus on SL with accessories (I really want to get a chin up/pull up this year), and strenghening my core and back (learning from this latest injury). Some of those accessories might be moves from NR, and if I can't get anywhere near the squat rack when I want to work out, I might revert to a NR workout session, but basically, I'm focusing more on those SL sessions with a view to steadily increasing the weight and improving form for a few weeks more before trying something new.

Gym tonight after work....going with hubby - always a bonus :blush:
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Gym night after work. Was a long session because it was lifting and cardio but worth it. Since today was dairy day, I went and got a burrito after working out at a place near home that is open 24 hours that I've wanted to try. Mmmm food.

51 - Upper Hypertrophy
    incline bench 4x8 @ 75 - went decent even with the increase.
    db fly 4x9/10 @ 20 - easier than expected, might need to increase again.
    1 db row 4x8 @ 35 - challenging but too lazy to go find the 32.5 in training area.
    seat row 4x10 @ 80 - still tough on the last reps.
    lat raise 4x6 @ 15 - yeah... the 10 and 12.5 were not available so had to go less reps.
    cable bicep curl 4x12 @ 50 - about time to increase.
    tricep extension 4x9 @ 80 - not bad, still bit of a challenge.
    face pull 4x10 @ 40 - decent.

10 minute walking (warm up and cool down) and 50 minute jog. Going to rest tomorrow once I get to bed and all. Need to finish burrito and write 100 words, then enjoy some sleep.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Um, so I think someone turned the gravity up at my gym last night because everything was extra heavy. :frowning:

The gym was packed too... it took me nearly 2.5 hours to complete my workout! It's something you might want to consider if you've been thinking of switching from SL to ICF of PHUL.

Squats: 72.5kg - 3/3/3/3/3
    Deadlift: 70kg - 1x5
    OHP: 25kg - 3/4/4/4/4
    Row: 42.5kg - 5x5
    Close Grip Bench: 12.5kg - 3x8
    Barbell Curls: 15kg - 8/7/6
    Cable Crunches: 21.6kg - 3x10
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wee, first heavy day of TOM = funny moves during the workout! >_> Maybe that's just me...

Started out with 5 heros and a warm-up of jumping jacks, lunges, push-ups, tuck jumps, that kinda stuff
    did 4 mins of 2 broad jumps ever 20s and my distance sucked and my landings were not great. Everything's in slow motion for me today

Then did OHP 5
    50x5
    57.5x5
    65x10

Yup, of all the lifts, I had to do the best AMRAP set on OHP! lol (it's even with deads, but I always crush deadlifts)

4 sets of KB goblet squats x20 reps (60s rest between sets): 35lbs
    The burn was real here!

Then for time (I finished right at 10 mins! lol)
    10, 6, 8, 4, 2 squat thrusts
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1 KB 1 arm power snatch /arm
    20, 16, 12, 8, 4 recline rows

And then did 3 sets of hanging knee raises: 12, 9, 9

Give me moar sleeps and food now, pl0x?
  • andylllI
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    Commandos 2x10

what's a commando? or dare i not speculate?

Forearm plank to hand plank to forearm plank to hand plank while maintaining hip stability. Even harder if you go up and down a step.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    0HP-1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL-1X5X 145

These Lifes still seem pretty heavy. My form is not perfect yet so I am staying at this weight for a while.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm starting SL on the 12th and will be spending the rest of this week perfecting my form before I get started.

Any advice for a newbie? :)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @tiffanylacourse - just start light as recommended by the SL program and check on your form and start from there. This is the only strength program I've kept up with without getting bored. Good luck!

Workouts for today

Squats: 5x5 @ 120lbs.
    Bench press: 4x8 @75lbs.
    bent over rows: 4x8 @75lbs.
    cardio: 44 minute run approximately 4 mile run.
  • tiffanylacourse
    Options
    @dcresider Thanks for the advice! I do plan to start light (Squats 45, BP 45, OHP 45, Row 65, Deadlift 90) as the program recommends.

Do you all recommend adding some sort of cardio, considering I am trying to lose weight? I do walk during lunch breaks - about 20 minutes a day, 4-5 days a week. Should I be doing something more intense by way of cardio, in addition to the lifting?
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi @tiffanylacourse and welcome! I started SL 12 weeks ago and love it! It is very progressive and you will soon see results. Walking for cardio is good... Don't push yourself into doing too much early on as SL will work you haaaaaard!!!

my workout tonight :sweat_smile:

Cable lat pull downs 2x8@33kg 2x8@37kg. Did these while waiting for the squat rack as every other piece of kit was being used.

SQ 5X5 @57.5KG
    Row 5X5 @35kgs
    bp 5x5 @30KG had to do incline as flat benches all busy so slightly lower weight than usual.
  • andylllI
    Options
    my advice would be to get regular form checks either from an experienced lifter IRL or by uploading video here or in eat, train, progress. Its very easy for form to suffer both right from the beginning (mobility) and as the weights get heavy and it is very difficult to assess (IMHO impossible) from the mirror.
  • tiffanylacourse
    Options
    @kimiuzzell Thanks for the reply! I am committed to sticking with this AT LEAST 12 weeks, maybe longer. I was down to about 150-ish a few years ago and would like to get to at least that point again this year. :)
  • tiffanylacourse
    Options
    @andylllI thanks for the advice! My husband lifts, so I could always have him watch my form and give me advice. I'm starting SL on 1/12/16, so I'm planning to use some of my free time (what is free time when you have four kids and a full time job? LOL) to practice my form before getting started. Thanks again! :)
  • andylllI
    Options
    My husband and I lift together at night when the kids are in bed. You need to enforce a 730pm bed time for your 13 yr old :smiley:
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me. :-) Feeling it in my shoulders from last night.

@tiffanylacourse - I can add in on the cardio as when I first did SL, back in the end of 2014, I did do some walking. I started by focusing on nutrition and walking a little before joining the gym as I decided to get a little healthier. Weighed 211 at beginning, just under 200 when started SL. However, I do agree with the general that you don't need to add anything in order to be successful. Calories are the bigger factor in the weight loss aspect. For me, lifting and cardio gave me different goals and things to focus on besides the scale. I made goals to do a 5k and later added 10k, so worked up to being able to run in order to reach that goal. I started with walking and did do some treadmill walking after lifting often during those 12 weeks doing SL. Weightlifting is just awesome but working up the numbers, learning neat things like deadlift and even some of the weird ones during my break from SL for NROLFW, also was something non-scale related to work towards. So, if you like cardio and want to add it in, or have some other goals that will be achieved by it, then go ahead. If you don't really care for it, then you don't need to add anymore than the lunch walks. I do cardio now, even with PHUL because I have a 10k obstacle run in spring and planning to sign up for an early fall half marathon. Either route you go, have fun! :smile:

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    still working on belly-breathing and my back angle for squats. finally located a sensory cue i was pretty confident about. after all the work i did finding that tiny tweak, and then the massive concentration i put into using it to the full to do every. damn. rep the same way every time . . . . i'll be really annoyed if i wake up tomorrow and find that my abs don't have doms.

squats 75, rows 50, ohp nothing much. all my workouts pmuch revolve around workshopping my squats atm.